Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Neil Peart dead

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 05:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

Damn.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He was truly one of the Greats
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

Wow.

Really hoped to hear more music from him. One of the greatest to do it.
RIP

RIP

This tweet gave me a good chuckle

https://twitter.com/jonwurster/status/12...6713302016

Died 3 days ago. Took some solace in that the "limelight" wasn't immediately shining on his death. He'd have at least appreciated that.

He'd retired from drumming. I wish he'd had a little more time with his family.

For a guy whose handle is Anonymous2112, this is a REAL buzzkill. RIP Neil, your drumming and lyrics inspired millions.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2020, 10:37 AM by Caldrac.)

Sucks. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(01-10-2020, 06:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: RIP

Only band who could probably pull it off well is Tool with Carey at drums. Maybe Dream Theater back in the day when Portnoy was still with them as well.

Outside of them. Not very man drummers could probably keep up speed, timing and rhythm wise. Peart was exceptional.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-11-2020, 10:34 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Sucks. RIP.

(01-10-2020, 06:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: RIP

Only band who could probably pull it off well is Tool with Carey at drums. Maybe Dream Theater back in the day when Portnoy was still with them as well.

Outside of them. Not very man drummers could probably keep up speed, timing and rhythm wise. Peart was exceptional.

https://youtu.be/A3oPXLBcxgk

Well, Primus is pretty famous for this cover.
s
;

;

There were a few subtle tributes over the weekend. Fox sports used "Spirit of Radio" in one of it's music fills when going to commercial from the GB/Seattle game. CBS Sunday morning gave Peart a 10 second recognition after a bit on Buck Henry, who also died last week. I heard NPR using YYZ as a fill between segments this morning .

My brother works in the broadcasting industry, and has mentioned that a lot of the sound engineers are Rush fans. Good to see the man getting his due, even if it is under the radar, which is pretty much the way he'd have wanted it.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM by Caldrac.)

Closer to the Heart popped up on the way to work this morning through Spotify. Was coming through a Billy Squier radio station. Awesome mixes.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Didn’t even see 70. I guess that’s what happens when you Rush. Too soon?

Sorry, love the band and all, just not the guy to say RIP to every celeb that dies.

Allow me to elaborate. “Rest in Peace”. Well, you’re dead. What else are you gonna do? Or we talking about go to heaven vs hell? Well, I won’t get much into that since it’s not allowed. Of course, even an atheist would agree one is better than the other. Then there is the fact “what about John Q Sample?” The joe blow who died. Yeah, I wish him the best too. Why do people seem to put celebs at a higher standard?

Forgive me for taking from the thread. Forgive me for calling out the “RIP’ers”. I just don’t get it.

His style was a bit "busy" for my taste, generally speaking. As a drummer, I was more of a lay the beat down/play to the song rather than be an intricate/sometimes intrusive by design type player. I grew to acquire a taste for his work over time, and appreciate what he's given to the brand (lol.)

Later, after retirement, he collaborated with Vertical Horizon on a few tracks on a couple of their last albums. Love this clip, really captures his ferocity, energy, and love for his craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nywYiKeX6g
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(01-14-2020, 07:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Didn’t even see 70.  I guess that’s what happens when you Rush.  Too soon?

Sorry, love the band and all, just not the guy to say RIP to every celeb that dies.

My obligatory "RIP" has absolutely nothing to do with "celebrity." 

It's simply recognizing that the human species has lost a generational artistic talent of true rarity. 
His accomplishments were noteworthy and it's a shame there will not be more of them.
You'll forgive me if I tip my hat to the departed in such an instance.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 11:27 PM by homebiscuit.)

He played the closing marquee set at the Buddy Rich tribute concert. That's high praise, indeed.

https://youtu.be/T0gYHLkY4qA

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 04:19 PM by Jags.)

(01-14-2020, 10:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 07:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Didn’t even see 70.  I guess that’s what happens when you Rush.  Too soon?

My obligatory "RIP" has absolutely nothing to do with "celebrity." 

It's simply recognizing that the human species has lost a generational artistic talent of true rarity. 
His accomplishments were noteworthy and it's a shame there will not be more of them.
You'll forgive me if I tip my hat to the departed in such an instance.

I get all that, I really do.  It’s just the RIP part.  Not worth derailing the thread.  I shouldn’t have posted what I did. I think this thread popped up at a bad time for me.  My Apologies for taking away from the thread.