Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DeFilippo/Jags Part Ways

We're pretty much the Browns-lite

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2020, 07:24 PM)jaglyn Wrote: We're pretty much the Browns-lite

In all reality, they have a much better record than the Jags over the past decade.  Luckily nobody cares about the Jags so they ridicule the Browns instead.

Flip decided it was time to go when Doug let him know that we were going all defense with our draft picks. But actually, I wasn't very impressed with his play calling either. We haven't had an imaginative OC in years.

What is more interesting is that Nate Hackett, our OC for a couple years, is calling the plays for the 2020 AFC championship contenting Green Bay Packers. I hated him when he was here. Our offense was horrid and predictable. I guess having a better supporting cast really can make a coach.

So then, it has me wondeng... are our players mostly lower tier players due to poor drafting. And the real blame is lousy scouting? Yeah, we hit a few homeruns here and there, but overall, do we have a roster that is not adequate enough for any competent OC? This does not excuse Todd Wash. He is pure trash.

(01-13-2020, 07:44 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 07:24 PM)jaglyn Wrote: We're pretty much the Browns-lite

In all reality, they have a much better record than the Jags over the past decade.  Luckily nobody cares about the Jags so they ridicule the Browns instead.

The Painful Truth, ladies and gentlemen.

Have we found our New OC yet?

Asking for a friend.

NH3...
"AZANE"

i think the thing with wash is. Yan really likes wash and they want to try and keep 91 so they keeping wash. is a stoopid reason but morone does as moron does.

(01-13-2020, 11:59 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:57 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: https://www.jaguars.com/news/defilippo-j...-part-ways

Says a lot about our future plans with Foles to me.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are they fired the wrong coordinator.

This, 1000% this. How many offensive coordinators are we gonna fire, while we let one of the worst situational defensive coordinators in the league get a free pass year after year??? What a sorry [BLEEP] organization we have. Yet ANOTHER young Qb going to have multiple  ocs in their career! How can we keep repeating the same mistakes and expect to improve? Minshew looked good in Flips offense, I really don’t get the move.

(01-14-2020, 12:14 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:59 AM)hb1148 Wrote: My thoughts are they fired the wrong coordinator.

This, 1000% this. How many offensive coordinators are we gonna fire, while we let one of the worst situational defensive coordinators in the league get a free pass year after year??? What a sorry [BLEEP] organization we have. Yet ANOTHER young Qb going to have multiple  ocs in their career! How can we keep repeating the same mistakes and expect to improve? Minshew looked good in Flips offense, I really don’t get the move.

The offense was terrible for the most part. Really bad in key situations and a critical lack of both preparation and game plan. 

That said I don't really have faith in them being able to get anybody good

(01-14-2020, 12:14 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:59 AM)hb1148 Wrote: My thoughts are they fired the wrong coordinator.

They mutually parted ways. My guess is Flip didnt want to stay and expressed that. With this being a make or break year for Marone he cant afford to have some one on the staff that doesn't want to be here.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

I keep hearing Jason Garrett’s name. I would be ok with this. Kellen Moore would also be a great candidate because he could be a young and up and coming head coach.

I’m low key hoping McCardell gets a shot in the future as a head coach.

(01-14-2020, 07:13 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:14 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: This, 1000% this. How many offensive coordinators are we gonna fire, while we let one of the worst situational defensive coordinators in the league get a free pass year after year??? What a sorry [BLEEP] organization we have. Yet ANOTHER young Qb going to have multiple  ocs in their career! How can we keep repeating the same mistakes and expect to improve? Minshew looked good in Flips offense, I really don’t get the move.

The offense was terrible for the most part. Really bad in key situations and a critical lack of both preparation and game plan. 

That said I don't really have faith in them being able to get anybody good
This is how I feel too.

Every year we make predictions as to who would be great and then they make an "out of left field" type choice. Marrone has one year left on his deal so he's not going to hire someone who has never called plays before (Kitna) and most likely he won't get someone from college (Joe Brady). 

My money is on Monken.

Gene Frenette at Jacksonville.com wrote an outstanding article on the OC situation. His premise being that whoever is hired as OC will not be the magic formula for improving the offense. First and foremost we must have playmakers. I highly recommend reading it.

I would post a link but that site randomly pops up with a paywall.

(01-14-2020, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gene Frenette at Jacksonville.com wrote an outstanding article on the OC situation. His premise being that whoever is hired as OC will not be the magic formula for improving the offense. First and foremost we must have playmakers. I highly recommend reading it.

Yeah.  I think his points are well taken and not that much different than several on this board have already said over the years.  I tend to think it's more a both thing than an either/or thing.  But the truth is this offense has been broken for years.  Our FO can't find the players we need and the staff can't coach them up.
[Image: giphy.gif]

I think this offense can produce competitively with:
  • one more TE with hands
  • Two upgrades on the OL (maybe just a LT with Cam moving to OG constituting two upgrades)
  • Coaching to develop and utilize the OL more efficiently
  • An elusive C.O.P. running back 
  • Scrapping this stupid insistence to telegraph the run out of power sets
Placing the OL players is the largest hurdle followed closely by the coaching staff improvements -- but this is not too much to ask IMO. 

Hopefully the new OC has a look at the tape and sees these needs.

(01-14-2020, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think this offense can produce competitively with:
  • one more TE with hands
  • Two upgrades on the OL (maybe just a LT with Cam moving to OG constituting two upgrades)
Placing the OL players is the largest hurdle followed closely by the coaching staff improvements -- but this is not too much to ask IMO. 

Hopefully the new OC has a look at the tape and sees these needs.

Have we ever had a zone blocking scheme?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-14-2020, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gene Frenette at Jacksonville.com wrote an outstanding article on the OC situation. His premise being that whoever is hired as OC will not be the magic formula for improving the offense. First and foremost we must have playmakers. I highly recommend reading it.

It can reached via his twitter ....and use "right click" open in an "incognito window" ...should be ok
https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...7264409600
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-14-2020, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think this offense can produce competitively with:
  • one more TE with hands

That's it?  Just a TE, 2 OLs, a RB, and a new coach -----LOL.  We should be able to resolve within this decade.

As info, it took us 10 years to resolve our weak DLine position and now the rest of the D sucks.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 01:18 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-14-2020, 12:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
  • one more TE with hands

That's it?  Just a TE, 2 OLs, a RB, and a new coach -----LOL.  We should be able to resolve within this decade.

As info, it took us 10 years to resolve our weak DLine position and now the rest of the D sucks.

It's a delicate balancing act few teams have mastered in the NFL. Look at how horrible Seattle's defense was in 2019. They literally put everything on Wilson's shoulders in Seattle now and it's just not enough to win every single game. You can only be a hero so many times before teams figure it out. 

The main thing is coaching and scheming. And with 9 draft picks at their disposal in this year's draft there's no reason to believe that they can't at least address two, three of these needs early on. They could land a solid receiving TE in FA. Draft a late round prospect like Harrison Bryant or Jared Rice to compliment Josh Oliver and James O'Shaughnessy during training camp. 

They could draft maybe one solid LT prospect and potentially move Robinson over to RG and you essentially gain two starters with one pick. Plenty of decent RB's in this class too. I wouldn't mind a late flyer on a COP back as NYC stated. There's good one's to be had between Anthony McFarland Jr. out of Maryland or Caleb Huntley out of Ball St. 

Coaching, scheming. Some decent draft picks invested early along the offensive line and front seven defensively. Maybe grab you some late round hopefuls at TE and RB and we're looking a lot better in 2020 with Minshew under center.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

speaking of Josh Oliver .....does anyone think he'll live up to expectations in 2020?
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM by Kane.)

(01-14-2020, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: That's it?  Just a TE, 2 OLs, a RB, and a new coach -----LOL.  We should be able to resolve within this decade.

It's a delicate balancing act few teams have mastered in the NFL. Look at how horrible Seattle's defense was in 2019. They literally put everything on Wilson's shoulders in Seattle now and it's just not enough to win every single game. You can only be a hero so many times before teams figure it out. 

The main thing is coaching and scheming. And with 9 draft picks at their disposal in this year's draft there's no reason to believe that they can't at least address two, three of these needs early on. They could land a solid receiving TE in FA. Draft a late round prospect like Harrison Bryant or Jared Rice to compliment Josh Oliver and James O'Shaughnessy during training camp. 

They could draft maybe one solid LT prospect and potentially move Robinson over to RG and you essentially gain two starters with one pick. Plenty of decent RB's in this class too. I wouldn't mind a late flyer on a COP back as NYC stated. There's good one's to be had between Anthony McFarland Jr. out of Maryland or Caleb Huntley out of Ball St. 

Coaching, scheming. Some decent draft picks invested early along the offensive line and front seven defensively. Maybe grab you some late round hopefuls at TE and RB and we're looking a lot better in 2020 with Minshew under center.

It really is feasible to get this team turned around into a more competitive squad in one offseason.
Just not sure about how feasible it is with the current people during the turning arounding lol

(01-14-2020, 01:23 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: speaking of Josh Oliver .....does anyone think he'll live up to expectations in 2020?

What are the expectations?
He wasn't really a guy I was targeting during last years draft so I wasn't sure what to expect and still don't.