Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 NFL Free Agents

It's doubtful the Jags will be big spenders in free agency. But with the number of holes to fill and lack of depth at a few spots, they will likely participate in some mid-tier signings - or perhaps one big splash signing if they make stategic cap moves. 

Here's a few names to consider.

Michael Pierce  (run stuffing DT)
Austin Hooper TE
Jimmie Ward   FS
Troy Hill  CB
Leonard Williams  DT  (roll of the dice to resurrect fading performance)
Javon Hargrave - Nose Tackle
DJ Reader  NT
Tre Boston  FS
Ebron  TE
Brandon Scherff OG  (injury concerns)

Several of these guys will re-sign with current teams and a few may be out of our budget. But just some names to watch. 

Please list other FAs you'll be considering.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Eric Ebron would be nice at TE. I would take a chance on Brandon Scherff at OG.

If they could walk away with Austin Hooper though as their main signing I would be content. Gives this offense a much needed receiving threat at TE.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 03:33 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-14-2020, 12:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Eric Ebron would be nice at TE. I would take a chance on Brandon Scherff at OG.

If they could walk away with Austin Hooper though as their main signing I would be content. Gives this offense a much needed receiving threat at TE.

Hooper would pair up nicely with Oliver and/or O'Shaugnessy in two and three TE sets.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Hooperrrrrrrrrr. I want Hooper from ATL and maybe an OL.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM by RicoTx.)

Don't want Ebron.  He's had a couple of nice years but the guy has always had a tendency to make tough catches a drop gimmees.  I even remember the broadcasters talking about this one one of the games this year.

(01-14-2020, 03:34 PM)Rico Wrote: Don't want Ebron.  He's had a couple of nice years but the guy has always had a tendency to make tough catches a drop gimmees.  I even remember the broadcasters talking about this one one of the games this year.

Ebron has been nothing special since joining the colts.  Easy Pass
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-14-2020, 03:40 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 03:34 PM)Rico Wrote: Don't want Ebron.  He's had a couple of nice years but the guy has always had a tendency to make tough catches a drop gimmees.  I even remember the broadcasters talking about this one one of the games this year.

Ebron has been nothing special since joining the colts.  Easy Pass

I'll have to disagree.  750 yards and 13 TDs two years ago.  I'd do backflips for that kind of production.

Robby Anderson and Byron Jones.
Not sure of cost or realistic chances of us getting them... but those are two on my radar

(01-14-2020, 04:12 PM)Kane Wrote: Robby Anderson and Byron Jones.
Not sure of cost or realistic chances of us getting them... but those are two on my radar
Byron is going to be pretty hefty but I think Robby should be a major target for this team.

I'd really rather they not invest much in FA until next year. The better teams don't build through FA, they augment.

And there ain't a whole hell of a lot to augment right now.

Not on the Ebron train. Hooper, I’ll give it a shot.

If they make one big splash, I want either Schobert or Littleton

Yes, if we dont feel we can get Simmons or they want to go a different pick at 9 I would love to get Cory Littleton.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 10:11 AM by Upper.)

I know the injuries are scary, but Henry is the prize at TE. Please get him. Here are their blurbs from PFFs top 50 FA. The part about Hooper not winning 1v1 very often worries me greatly. I interpret him leading the league in finding production in soft coverages as teams focusing very hard on Julio and Ridley and letting Hooper go free more often.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best...-217052821

30. TE AUSTIN HOOPER
Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.

22. TE ERIC EBRON
Even with a perceived rejuvenation to his career in 2018, Ebron has enough of a sample size for teams to feel comfortable about his skillset as a solid pass-catching threat and below-average run blocker. Ebron set career-highs in receptions (74), yards (827) and touchdowns (14) in 2018, though when paired with a 70.5 receiving grade, we see that some of that production was fool’s gold. Even if he never reaches those heights again, he’s heading into next season at 27 years old with four straight campaigns of 69.0-plus receiving grades — and that’s a good resume for an athletic tight end who can work the middle of the field.

8. TE HUNTER HENRY
Since entering the league in 2016, there have been two constants in Henry’s career: injuries and production. When healthy, he’s one of the best receiving tight ends in the game, and his 90.5 receiving grade against single coverage is eighth-best in the league since 2016. Henry is also a solid run blocker, posting above-average seasons in two out of his three full years. Any team looking for his services is going to get a mismatch weapon who can win in-line, in the slot or on the outside. That versatility is extremely valuable in today’s NFL.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 10:54 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-15-2020, 10:10 AM)Upper Wrote: I know the injuries are scary, but Henry is the prize at TE. Please get him. Here are their blurbs from PFFs top 50 FA. The part about Hooper not winning 1v1 very often worries me greatly. I interpret him leading the league in finding production in soft coverages as teams focusing very hard on Julio and Ridley and letting Hooper go free more often.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best...-217052821

30. TE AUSTIN HOOPER
Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.

22. TE ERIC EBRON
Even with a perceived rejuvenation to his career in 2018, Ebron has enough of a sample size for teams to feel comfortable about his skillset as a solid pass-catching threat and below-average run blocker. Ebron set career-highs in receptions (74), yards (827) and touchdowns (14) in 2018, though when paired with a 70.5 receiving grade, we see that some of that production was fool’s gold. Even if he never reaches those heights again, he’s heading into next season at 27 years old with four straight campaigns of 69.0-plus receiving grades — and that’s a good resume for an athletic tight end who can work the middle of the field.

8. TE HUNTER HENRY
Since entering the league in 2016, there have been two constants in Henry’s career: injuries and production. When healthy, he’s one of the best receiving tight ends in the game, and his 90.5 receiving grade against single coverage is eighth-best in the league since 2016. Henry is also a solid run blocker, posting above-average seasons in two out of his three full years. Any team looking for his services is going to get a mismatch weapon who can win in-line, in the slot or on the outside. That versatility is extremely valuable in today’s NFL.
Henry has been a top 5 TE pretty much since he entered the league.  The thing about him is his long injury history.  Yannick is 18th on that list and Derrick Henry is 28th lol

Call me crazy, but after seeing four tight ends lost to injury in one season, I'm not rushing out to sign one who hasn't shown durability.

(01-15-2020, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yannick is 18th on that list and Derrick Henry is 28th lol

I know I know, PFF is laughable when they're ranking Yannick 18th on a FA list but gospel when they're ranking 3 Jags on the all rookie team.

(01-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yannick is 18th on that list and Derrick Henry is 28th lol

I know I know, PFF is laughable when they're ranking Yannick 18th on a FA list but gospel when they're ranking 3 Jags on the all rookie team.

They also say Taven Bryan was the 22nd best interior player in the NFL this season

(01-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Upper Wrote:

I wouldn't say its laughable.  Now Henry at 28th is laughable.  At least they got the QB right on the all rookie team.  The same guy that won 8 rookie of the week.  Allen had 10.5 sacks and a franchise record, and Taylor played good at times as well especially when you match him up with the rest of the rookie tackles around the league.  But I know you are biased against the Jags anything they get positive so that's no surprise

(01-15-2020, 11:31 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Upper Wrote: ...

Now Henry at 28th is laughable. 

Not really. He didn't really do squat until week 10 last year, has only one season of good YPG production, and ran behind a stout line. 
But the biggest factor is that running backs are a dime a dozen in every draft and spending big on them in free agency is lunacy.