Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What to do with AJ Bouye?
Keep Bouye around
Release him and draft a CB early
Try to restructure
Corn
Blank #2
[Show Results]

AJ Bouye, Farewell?

what a corner the FO has painted themselves into.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Bouye is a goner unless they renegotiate. Don't we save over $11M by cutting him? I also dont think Herndon is as bad as most on here think he is. I think he is a solid player and, equally important, costs us next to nothing.

I'd be surprised if Bouye is back and I'd be surprised if Herndon isn't one of the two starters next year.

(01-16-2020, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think some may be overvaluing Bouye's current level of performance.

In 2017 he had 6 INTs and 18 passes defensed.

In 2019 it was 1 INT and 8 passes defensed (66 DBs had more passes defensed in 2019)

He also allowed a 65.2% completion rate when targeted in 2019.

I think we all know his play slipped (or is slipping) it's the fact that you can't just cut everyone.
And it's relevant to how the draft falls (cuts don't have to be made until june 1st iirc) so if the draft goes in such a way we can get Okudah or Diggs, yeah Bouye is expendable.
But if not... You want Herndon and a guy like Bryce Hall as our starting CBs next year? 

I think they'd have to land a top 5 corner in the draft to warrant the move.  And that probably means taking one at #20. Pick 42 may not have much CB talent hanging around. 

Likely has to be one of: Okudah, Fulton, Diggs, Henderson, Gladney  (or however that CB ranking finally shakes out) 

Just depends on if they like a CB that's on the board at 20 or 42 enough to warrant the replacement. 
I'm just spitballing here. I don't feel strongly one way or the other. But I am disappointed in Bouye's play the past two seasons.

(01-16-2020, 05:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: I think we all know his play slipped (or is slipping) it's the fact that you can't just cut everyone.
And it's relevant to how the draft falls (cuts don't have to be made until june 1st iirc) so if the draft goes in such a way we can get Okudah or Diggs, yeah Bouye is expendable.
But if not... You want Herndon and a guy like Bryce Hall as our starting CBs next year? 

I think they'd have to land a top 5 corner in the draft to warrant the move.  And that probably means taking one at #20. Pick 42 may not have much CB talent hanging around. 

Likely has to be one of: Okudah, Fulton, Diggs, Henderson, Gladney  (or however that CB ranking finally shakes out) 

Just depends on if they like a CB that's on the board at 20 or 42 enough to warrant the replacement. 
I'm just spitballing here. I don't feel strongly one way or the other. But I am disappointed in Bouye's play the past two seasons.

His Deadpooliness nailed it. I don't think anyone's out there claiming that Bouye's a great corner, or that he's the answer long-term. It's just that unless the plan is to tank, you have to keep some starting caliber guys around, even if they're way more expensive than they're worth. The team can't afford a stupid expensive FA corner like Bradberry this year, which means you almost have to sit on Bouye until you see what you land in the draft unless you want to gamble on a career backup type.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 05:55 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

You would take Diggs over Henderson?

If the geniuses in the FO would stop making boneheaded decisions this would be so critical. The Bortles and Foles contracts were absolutely absurd. No reason should either of them have gotten those contracts and that money. Put Myles Jack in that list too.

(01-16-2020, 05:02 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: what a corner the FO has painted themselves into.

Yup.

Those who expect we are gonna start next year without massive holes in the roster are gonna be seriously disappointed.

The saving grace is that we do have some good young players at key positions. We need to build around them.

Right now I'm leaning towards cutting most of the older vets on the roster and replacing them with youth. But, considering the pressure is on Caldwell and Marrone to win, I can't see them doing that.

Basically, I think our chances of success next year are slim at best whatever we do. Keeping /restructuring vets on big contracts may give us slightly better odds, but not by enough to make it worthwhile. Instead we will just cause more cap headaches for ourselves further down the line.

(01-16-2020, 05:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You would take Diggs over Henderson?

Is Henderson-hype gonna be the 2020 version of that VHIII hype-a-thon you hosted on this board a few years ago? 

I haven't watched enough of any of them to rank them yet, which is why I included the parenthetical after listing them. 
If you're hyping Henderson, I'll prolly feel good about Diggs though.    
Tongue

Would rather June 1st cut Norwell if cap is needed

Bouye creates a big enough hole to where it forces your hand in the draft.
The loss of his experience to the secondary would be dramatic in the short term.

I would like to see them hang on AND draft a corner somewhere in the early rounds
You could trade Bouye inseason, see how the season starts and work a trade with a needy team, he still has some value.

Bouye isn't going to restructure. Why would he? Jags have no leverage. His play has definitely declined, but if he's cut but the Jags some team is going to give him a big contract.

The best thing to do is cut him and Campbell, but with DM/DC on a short leash, they'll sacrifice the future for a few meaningless wins next year and keep both of them around 1 year too long. This is why a total reboot was needed. Get a new GM/HC in to clean house and start over. 2020 is going to be a wasted year because there is no chance the Jags are going to win the division. Another 6-10 season to look forward to.

(01-16-2020, 04:52 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:42 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is where I am. The young guys really struggled this year and to give them all the responsibility while adding more youth and inexperience just seems a recipe for disaster.

The coaches have been complaining that they need better players, I just dont see the route of cutting all the salary fat as the way to do that.

Using Spotrac I cut Dareus, Lee, Swaim, Jake Ryan, Abry Jones, and traded Foles.
Which would give us 42m in cap space. Most of those cuts are guys we're not relying on at all for the coming season (this assuming we draft a NT early enough to plug into the DL)
Perhaps Campbell restructures which would free up some more... perhaps he is cut too (15m in savings...)

Not a cap expert but I'd like to think 45-50m in cap space allows us to do what we need to to keep Yan or at least tag him and get our draft guys signed and then reasses the cap situation after 2020

This means guys like Norwell, Conley, and Bouye don't have to be cut and would be less dead money if cut next year when we have another draft and FA period to add talent to actually replace these guys.
Can't replace them all in one draft and if you draft their replacement beyond the 2nd round, expecting them to be day 1 starters is a tall task for most.

This all sounds good.

But what difference does it make when we keep Wash at DC?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I’m willing to bet Bouye will be a Jaguar in 2020.

The drop off with releasing Bouye would be huge. I doubt a rookie comes in at the same level, so I’d rather make cap room elsewhere.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2020, 09:20 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-16-2020, 07:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 05:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You would take Diggs over Henderson?

Is Henderson-hype gonna be the 2020 version of that VHIII hype-a-thon you hosted on this board a few years ago? 

I haven't watched enough of any of them to rank them yet, which is why I included the parenthetical after listing them. 
If you're hyping Henderson, I'll prolly feel good about Diggs though.    
Tongue

I actually meant to quote Kane in post 3 because he mentioned Diggs and not Henderson.  I seen where you put Henderson in your list.  VH3 was a great player.  2 time 1st team All Pro, 3 time 1st team All SEC.  Neither Diggs nor Henderson made a 1st team All Pro and and they only made 1 first team all SEC. Injuries and VH3 work ethic has hurt his career.  I dont want a corner in the first unless Okudah falls to 9 and Simmons, Brown, and Thomas are gone.  I think Okudah goes in the top 8 though.  I think Henderson or Diggs at 20 would be decent value but i think there will be a better player available.  If either of them fall to our 2nd pick I feel that would be great value but I'm still not sure if I would take either of them over Winfield Jr.  I feel like this CB class is overrated honestly

I think Bouye has dealt with injuries these last couple years. He had a few bad games towards the end of the season this year but about the first 3 quarters of the season or so he played really good. He played Mie Thomas great as well. I feel like his has a little trouble sometimes with the bigger WRs like Jones. Why Ramsey and him were so good together because Ramsey is better against the bigger and stronger WRs and sometimes has problems with the bit smaller quick and shifty WRs which Bouye excells against

I would try to restructure to maybe save 1 or 2 mil. Try to restructure Dareus as well

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2020, 10:43 AM by Kane.)

I'd take either at 20 and be very happy about it honestly.

(01-17-2020, 12:00 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:52 PM)Kane Wrote: Using Spotrac I cut Dareus, Lee, Swaim, Jake Ryan, Abry Jones, and traded Foles.
Which would give us 42m in cap space. Most of those cuts are guys we're not relying on at all for the coming season (this assuming we draft a NT early enough to plug into the DL)
Perhaps Campbell restructures which would free up some more... perhaps he is cut too (15m in savings...)

Not a cap expert but I'd like to think 45-50m in cap space allows us to do what we need to to keep Yan or at least tag him and get our draft guys signed and then reasses the cap situation after 2020

This means guys like Norwell, Conley, and Bouye don't have to be cut and would be less dead money if cut next year when we have another draft and FA period to add talent to actually replace these guys.
Can't replace them all in one draft and if you draft their replacement beyond the 2nd round, expecting them to be day 1 starters is a tall task for most.

This all sounds good.

But what difference does it make when we keep Wash at DC?

Fair point... but not much to do about that now...
The roster management has to continue despite the terrible decision to keep the coaches we all wanted replaced.

Restructure if at all possible. It'll be pretty irritating to enter this draft three months from now trying to replace him and essentially Ramsey. You'll more than likely miss out of Okudah. And taking Fulton at No. 9 or No. 20 seems excessively too high. Especially after he was having his [BLEEP] handed to him by Higgins before he got hurt in that Championship game.

We'll be left with Herndon and Hayden going into training camp with virtually nobody else we're familiar or comfortable with. [BLEEP] sucks just thinking about it already.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM by D-Money.)

I'm trying to figure out why everyone thinks we should just release all of all our good players? Why do yall think it will be so easy to pickup players that will duplicate the productivity and chemistry? We already damn near loss everyone we had from out most successful season. We should keep the good players, draft, plug and play. Go after guys and show our players that we are trying to win now, then maybe we will have the leverage to make then restructure.

A bunch of cap space with bums and inexperienced rookies is not going to work and no free agents are going to want to come here like that

Not trying to be funny but can someone give examples of blown up teams, that turn around and become contenders after a couple of seasons?

I am going to be keeping my eye on Miami to see what they do

After this upcoming season.

Cut Lee, Dareus, Ryan and re-structure Foles. Frees up $41 million for the draft, Yan, and one mid-tier free agent.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2020, 04:11 PM by nhiverson.)

Cut Norwell, Lee, and hopefully we could restructure Bouye Dareus and Calais would not shock me if they cut them all though.