Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A possible offseason strategy - Invest massively in the offense

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/uBhOjtB0Kg

This would work!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2020, 07:46 PM by High Octane.)

(02-14-2020, 07:17 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/uBhOjtB0Kg

This would work!

I don't think going WR + WR in the first round is a smart choice. That isn't our biggest need and seems a bit redundant. If we go offense + offense, I'd like a O-line + WR. 

Also, I see no way that Trevon Diggs lasts to #42.

Quote:"ESPN's Jake Trotter believes the Browns will consider trading David Njoku this offseason.
This isn't a surprise after Njoku said he wasn't sure if he'll be back with the Browns next season. Cleveland has since fired Freddie Kitchens and brought in a new front office, but it's possible they also move on from Njoku, who has never really clicked with Baker Mayfield. Coming off a lost 2019, Njoku likely wouldn't return more than a Day 3 pick."

I'd be interested in giving Njoku a shot on our team for a Day3 draft pick though.

(02-14-2020, 07:42 PM)High Octane Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:17 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/uBhOjtB0Kg

This would work!

I don't think going WR + WR in the first round is a smart choice. That isn't our biggest need and seems a bit redundant. If we go offense + offense, I'd like a O-line + WR. 

It would be seven shades of [BLEEP] crazy, but imagine how exciting the offense would be... Imagine how happy it would make Gardner... Why don't you want Gardner to be happy?
Sorry, I've had a few beers already.

In a perfect world I would like to draft a stud DT and LT with the first 2 picks in the first round if they are BAP when we are on the clock.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

This draft is very deep in WR talent and there are some intriguing prospects who may be drafted in the bottom half of the draft. IMO the trenches are the priority in the first round, our rush defense was painful to watch last year.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(02-14-2020, 07:50 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:42 PM)High Octane Wrote: I don't think going WR + WR in the first round is a smart choice. That isn't our biggest need and seems a bit redundant. If we go offense + offense, I'd like a O-line + WR. 

It would be seven shades of [BLEEP] crazy, but imagine how exciting the offense would be... Imagine how happy it would make Gardner... Why don't you want Gardner to be happy?

Haha, of course I want Gardner to be happy. But I'm sure he'd be just as happy with a WR + O-Line combo to give him time. But to go along with what you said, a Chark / Jeudy / Ruggs / Westbrook / Conley WR room would certainly be fun to watch. The problem is we need time for Gardner to make the passes without being in pressured nonstop. 

Ideally, I'd want Derrick Brown with the 9th pick and then Tee Higgins (or top WR) or the top remaining CB left on the board. But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting an O-Lineman.

Another scenario I wouldn't mind would be Jeudy/Lamb with the 9th and pray that Kinlaw falls to #20.

(02-15-2020, 12:39 PM)High Octane Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:50 PM)JagJohn Wrote: It would be seven shades of [BLEEP] crazy, but imagine how exciting the offense would be... Imagine how happy it would make Gardner... Why don't you want Gardner to be happy?

Haha, of course I want Gardner to be happy. But I'm sure he'd be just as happy with a WR + O-Line combo to give him time. But to go along with what you said, a Chark / Jeudy / Ruggs / Westbrook / Conley WR room would certainly be fun to watch. The problem is we need time for Gardner to make the passes without being in pressured nonstop. 

Ideally, I'd want Derrick Brown with the 9th pick and then Tee Higgins (or top WR) or the top remaining CB left on the board. But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting an O-Lineman.

Another scenario I wouldn't mind would be Jeudy/Lamb with the 9th and pray that Kinlaw falls to #20.

Is Jeudy the next Amari Cooper? If he's merely a smooth possession guy, try to find a hidden gem later. Lamb is certainly not worthy of #9. Defenders typically make more of an impact in their first year than offensive skill players.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM by D-Money.)

I have a question ...did everyone give up on Westbrook? Before the year started everyone thought he would breakout. I think we would be ok without a WR this year. Westbrook and Chark should be good with consistent qb play, maybe go after Mims in the later rounds but I dont think we need WRs with our 1st 3 picks

(02-15-2020, 03:48 PM)D-Money Wrote: I have a question ...did everyone give up on Westbrook? Before the year started everyone thought he would breakout. I think we would be ok without a WR this year. Westbrook and Chark should be good with consistent qb play, maybe go after Mims in the later rounds but I dont think we need WRs with our 1st 3 picks

I think the most concerning thing regarding Westbrook was that as Chark garnered more and more attention, we didn't really see him take any advantage.

This would work!

I would say that is going all in on offense.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-15-2020, 06:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 03:48 PM)D-Money Wrote: I have a question ...did everyone give up on Westbrook? Before the year started everyone thought he would breakout. I think we would be ok without a WR this year. Westbrook and Chark should be good with consistent qb play, maybe go after Mims in the later rounds but I dont think we need WRs with our 1st 3 picks

I think the most concerning thing regarding Westbrook was that as Chark garnered more and more attention, we didn't really see him take any advantage.

I'm more concerned about his size and the mounting injury concerns. When the play calling last year frequently ran him into bad collisions it's not surprising that he had a down year. That I think mostly happened because he was the guy running TE routes once we didn't have one anymore.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Dede doesn't have the hands of Chark but he rushes above his weight. I think that attribute got him relegated more towards KR duties.

I'm not so sure Dede is good but he hasn't been used well since drafted here. Hopefully next year we see more downfield targets

(02-14-2020, 07:50 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:42 PM)High Octane Wrote: I don't think going WR + WR in the first round is a smart choice. That isn't our biggest need and seems a bit redundant. If we go offense + offense, I'd like a O-line + WR. 

Fair question, but it's based on the premise that wide receivers would make him happy.  Would he prefer having all day to throw to average receivers, or throwing to great WR's while running for his life all day?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-17-2020, 04:45 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:50 PM)JagJohn Wrote: It would be seven shades of [BLEEP] crazy, but imagine how exciting the offense would be... Imagine how happy it would make Gardner... Why don't you want Gardner to be happy?

Fair question, but it's based on the premise that wide receivers would make him happy.  Would he prefer having all day to throw to average receivers, or throwing to great WR's while running for his life all day?

I feel ya, in an ideal world we could get a dynamic WR that would change how defenses have to plan for us, and a franchise LT in the first round.

I'm not really advocating for two WRs in the first, but wouldn't be against it if the draft fell that way.