Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Isaiah Simmons?

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 10:00 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2020, 08:26 AM)Andy G Wrote: Getting back to Isiah Simmons...

Can a player like this play multiple positions in the NFL, if the coaching staff are able to cope with the adjustments?

I know the conventional view has been you don’t move positions, but there’s so much movement and flexibility these days, so maybe he could switch back to safety at times?

It would give opposing OCs a headache.

Miami moved Minkah around and it hurt his development.  When Pit. traded for him they told him they were going to play him at one position (FS)  and he even started that's what he wanted and he then became one of the best defenders in the league and made All Pro

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...right-now/

As he gets comfortable and gets experience you can move him around a little but the first year or 2 I would play him at 1 position 99% of the time

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Y'all are arguing semantics. In 2017 Jack played a just over half of his snaps at Mike. And sorry but he wasn't "damn good" at either spot.

If we didn't take Simmons at 9 and we took another LB at 20 and Queen and Murray was there who would you take between the 2?

(02-01-2020, 08:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 01:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This is where you are confused. When this defense is in nickel, it's still a 4-3 front.  The "3" is simply made up of two LBs and one DB instead of 3 LBs.  Three LBs or two, it was all still 4-3.  They ran an extremely low number of 3-4 snaps in 2017. You could probably count them on one hand. 

So - "when we were in a 4-3" he played SAM on a bunch of first downs. But he also took 95% of his mike snaps "in a 4-3."
I think you are the one confused.  When we ran a 4-3 defense we had Telvin-Poz-Jack out there.  When Poz went out and we went to nickel and Colvin came in or now when Hayden comes in, 95% of the time hes out on the slot receiver.  When we were in a 4-3 D Poz was getting the snaps at MIKE and that was over 40% of the time.  Nickel  and 4-3 are similar but when you you have an extra defensive back in for a LB it nickel not a 4-3.  You can bring the corner in and give the offense a 4-3 look but it's still a nickel defense.  

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...t.amp.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_defense

Wow. 

There’s a reason every coordinator that runs a 4-3 and stays in nickel most of the time doesn’t call their defense a 4-2-5. 
Because it’s still essentially a 4-3 front. 
And you should probably pay closer attention to how they align Hayden. Because your description/percentage  is inaccurate. 

I’ll let the thread move on.

More on topic: 
I would have zero issues with using a player like Simmons at multiple spots according to opponents and matchups. 
And I couldn’t care less that one safety somewhere doesn’t approve of it.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 02:26 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2020, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 08:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think you are the one confused.  When we ran a 4-3 defense we had Telvin-Poz-Jack out there.  When Poz went out and we went to nickel and Colvin came in or now when Hayden comes in, 95% of the time hes out on the slot receiver.  When we were in a 4-3 D Poz was getting the snaps at MIKE and that was over 40% of the time.  Nickel  and 4-3 are similar but when you you have an extra defensive back in for a LB it nickel not a 4-3.  You can bring the corner in and give the offense a 4-3 look but it's still a nickel defense.  

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...t.amp.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_defense

Wow. 

There’s a reason every coordinator that runs a 4-3 and stays in nickel most of the time doesn’t call their defense a 4-2-5. 
Because it’s still essentially a 4-3 front. 
And you should probably pay closer attention to how they align Hayden. Because your description/percentage  is inaccurate. 

I’ll let the thread move on.

More on topic: 
I would have zero issues with using a player like Simmons at multiple spots according to opponents and matchups. 
And I couldn’t care less that one safety somewhere doesn’t approve of it.
Its because its called a nickel defense and 4-3 is their base.

Ok, back on topic.  I would love to get Simmons but I honestly dont think he will be there at 9

Can a player like this play multiple positions in the NFL, if the coaching staff are able to cope with the adjustments?

I know the conventional view has been you don’t move positions, but there’s so much movement and flexibility these days, so maybe he could switch back to safety at times?

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/12...28928?s=21

(02-01-2020, 03:15 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/12...28928?s=21
Hes been in the league 6 years now.  A little different imo

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 03:41 PM by JackCity.)

(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Y'all are arguing semantics. In 2017 Jack played a just over half of his snaps at Mike. And sorry but he wasn't "damn good" at either spot.
He was very good in coverage in 2017 and that's where most of a LBs value is.

(02-01-2020, 01:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we didn't take Simmons at 9 and we took another LB at 20 and Queen and Murray was there who would you take between the 2?

Murray > Queen if I had to pick. Neither first rounders to me but rate Murrays ability way more

(02-01-2020, 03:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Y'all are arguing semantics. In 2017 Jack played a just over half of his snaps at Mike. And sorry but he wasn't "damn good" at either spot.
He was very good in coverage in 2017 and that's where most of a LBs value is.

(02-01-2020, 01:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we didn't take Simmons at 9 and we took another LB at 20 and Queen and Murray was there who would you take between the 2?

Murray > Queen if I had to pick. Neither first rounders to me but rate Murrays ability way more
Jack was also good at setting the edge when he played outside

(02-01-2020, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 03:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: He was very good in coverage in 2017 and that's where most of a LBs value is.

Jack was also good at setting the edge when he played outside

I disagree personally

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM by Andy G.)

(02-01-2020, 03:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 03:15 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/12...28928?s=21
Hes been in the league 6 years now.  A little different imo

So, we start Simmons off on simple stuff and let him slowly figure out the extra positions?

Works for me.

(02-01-2020, 04:36 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 03:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hes been in the league 6 years now.  A little different imo

So, we start Simmons off on simple stuff and let him slowly figure out the extra positions?

Works for me.

Exactly