Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Giants quarterback Eli Manning announces retirement after 16 seasons in NFL

(01-24-2020, 10:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: If you don’t believe Eli deserves to be in the HOF, you’re absolutely delusional.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is all about the story of the NFL. Those who were the main characters, get voted in. It’s not all about stats. Was Broadway Joe a great QB? Heck 
no.. and if you don’t believe me, check the stats. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Of course not. That legendary upset vs. Baltimore will stand as one of the greatest football moments of all time.

Was Eli Manning a great QB? Of course not. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Not a chance. Upsetting an astronomically favored 18-0 Patriots team in the midst of arguably their greatest roster ever assembled, and then doing the same 4 years later.. those are no small feats. Eli has made some of the most clutch plays in Super Bowl history.

Some will gripe and say that he only gets in because of his last name. I agree, that will no doubt be a huge part of it. But he’s earned his bid in my opinion. He’s gonna be in a gold jacket in 5 years, book it.
Everyone knows Eli will get in. That's not the point.

He was NEVER, in his entire career, considered elite. He played in NY. He won two Super Bowls. The HOF just needs to come clean with how they truly vote because it's not about being great.

(01-24-2020, 10:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
TO also ruined every team he was on from the inside out.

not just about the stats.
This should have no bearing on making the HOF or not.

There's nothing to come clean about. Everyone knows the criteria

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Eli had a HOF career, even if he never had elite production or was ever an elite player.

The Hall isn't about showcasing elite players. It's a Hall of FAME.
Eli was pretty famous for his NFL career. Even if it was mostly just two seasons/two super bowls.

His 16 year career (the end of which was severely screwed with by coaching decisions, mainly McAdoo) was an Iron Man career. He exuded excellence as a person off the field and in the locker room. His play on the field was pretty much always good and had spots of greatness here and there.

Was he ever a top 5 QB? Nah... but as I said above... I don't think the Hall is full of ELITE only talents. Especially when you start arguing stats... there are plenty of QBs with meh type stats (I know, I know, different era) but still....Eli led teams that took down the big bad Patriots of the 2000s.
And while much of that had to do with stellar defensive play... he played his part and he played it well.

You can argue til you're blue in the face about whether his career was Hall worthy... but there's no question in my mind that it warrants a spot. Probably not first ballot. But he'll get in. And he earned it.
Football is a team game. So wins and losses. TDs... Sacks... all these stats are all intertwined with who you have around you and who you play against. Just step back and look at the career and realize, while not perfect or anywhere near it, it surely is worthy of a spot in Canton.