Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Calais Campbell believes his play justifies '20 salary

(01-28-2020, 01:28 AM)D-Money Wrote: If Campbell goes then we really need a clean start of management seriously. He is now the leader the Poz was and 1 out of the 4 or left from the great 2017 run.  We really cleaned did a clean sweep of the team after having one of our most successful seasons since 99. Smh.  How the hell do we stull have the same Front Office.

Defense First and Running Only isn't a winning strategy anymore.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-28-2020, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 01:28 AM)D-Money Wrote: If Campbell goes then we really need a clean start of management seriously. He is now the leader the Poz was and 1 out of the 4 or left from the great 2017 run.  We really cleaned did a clean sweep of the team after having one of our most successful seasons since 99. Smh.  How the hell do we stull have the same Front Office.

Defense First and Running Only isn't a winning strategy anymore.

How did we get to the AfC championship. We were in the position to win with that same exact formula. We would have been in the Super Bowl if not for the change in play calling. 49ers are playing great D and are in the Super Bowl, Jimmy G plays very average a lot. 

You can def win like that but everyone keeps trying copy the Patriots but there is only one Tom Brady,  this is the reason why they are the only team the continues to win. Stop trying copy that formula.

(01-28-2020, 10:18 AM)D-Money Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Defense First and Running Only isn't a winning strategy anymore.

How did we get to the AfC championship. We were in the position to win with that same exact formula. We would have been in the Super Bowl if not for the change in play calling. 49ers are playing great D and are in the Super Bowl, Jimmy G plays very average a lot. 

You can def win like that but everyone keeps trying copy the Patriots but there is only one Tom Brady,  this is the reason why they are the only team the continues to win. Stop trying copy that formula.

SF didn't win without Jimmy G. Green Bay wins with Aaron Jones running the ball. Tennessee didn't win often without Tannehilll. KC doesn't even really field a defense, they're a pass rushing squad that plays with a lead. Bortles played out of his mind the last half of 2017, the rest of the time that team was trash.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-27-2020, 11:18 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 08:26 AM)Jags Wrote: Maybe it’s his polite way to say he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

Nah. He's posturing, like any smart businessman would. If he comes out now and says that he's all about staying with the team whatever it takes, he's going to get lowballed. If he says that he's worth what he's getting paid, Caldwell will have to come up with a stronger offer.

Why are we lowballing a dude already under contract?

If anything, I think it's just concern that the team decides to move on in favor of more affordable (albeit less impactful on the field or in the locker room) youth. From a salary cap perspective, and on a spreadsheet, he's very expendable. From the perspective of leadership and performance, I don't think he is.

If we move to extend him, we'd be pushing cap hit onto future years. He's already diminishing in his on-field role, and will be 35? next season, I don't think it's wise for us to pursue that plan. Let him finish out his deal, and we'll see where everything stands next offseason.

Are we talking about converting some salary into bonus, so that some of the money applies to next year's cap, or are we talking about hitting Campbell with a pay cut?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-28-2020, 11:02 AM)mikesez Wrote: Are we talking about converting some salary into bonus, so that some of the money applies to next year's cap, or are we talking about hitting Campbell with a pay cut?

Usually it'd be a little of column A and a little of column B. "We're going to pay you 25% less, but we'll convert 15% of your remaining salary into a bonus to make up for it."

He is still a good player. How long he can pull that off with his age is a different question.

I think the fact that we didn't have a real NT this year forced him to play out of position and affected his numbers.

Even with his high salary though, he would be a really tough guy to cut.

Shed salary from somewhere else I want us to have Calais atleast one more year with Josh and Yannick.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020, 10:44 PM by D-Money.)

(01-28-2020, 10:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 10:18 AM)D-Money Wrote: How did we get to the AfC championship. We were in the position to win with that same exact formula. We would have been in the Super Bowl if not for the change in play calling. 49ers are playing great D and are in the Super Bowl, Jimmy G plays very average a lot. 

SF didn't win without Jimmy G. Green Bay wins with Aaron Jones running the ball. Tennessee didn't win often without Tannehilll. KC doesn't even really field a defense, they're a pass rushing squad that plays with a lead. Bortles played out of his mind the last half of 2017, the rest of the time that team was trash.

The only teams that have a great qb is Green Bay and KC, Green Bay has been good consistently and Aaron could possibly be one of the best qbs of all time, he only has one super bowl. Pat Mahomes is great and if they don't win this year, I feel he will def get one.

What I am saying that the people saying Defense doesn't win championships and its a new type of game is not necessarily true because the Patriots have made it seem like that is what is needed to win a super bowl. Tom Brady is the best qb of all time so we are going to have to what type of teams start winning when he is gone but even he loss 2 times to great defenses and a slightly above average qb.

We had a winning formula and if we would have kept the same people or even the majority we could have the opportunity to win a super bowl. If we build up our defense again it could yield the same results. 

I say all that to say this, the high powered great qb, heavy pass offenses might be fun to watch but it doesn't guarantee super bowls. We have to work with and keep the good players that provide positive results or we are going to keep getting high draft picks building them up and letting them go and end up being in the same position that we have been in for years

Yes, defense and running can win championships. The problem is they aren't sustainable for long. Players get old, injured, expensive, regress, etc. You can't keep entire units together.

So if you build that way you get a very short and very volatile window.

I'll say this about Campbell. I'd absolutely love for him to be here next year. His play and leadership absolutely justifies his salary.

Our cap situation, however, may not.

It's the nature of the biz... if he's willing to restructure shift some dollars and stick around for another couple seasons, great. If not, it'll be sad but necessary to see him go I think.
Unless the team does the ol tag and trade with Yan... then I think we can keep Campbell around at his current number. That would require us drafting pass rusher in the first 2-3 rounds though.

I'm anxious to see how Dave addresses the roster with the seemingly "win now" mode pressuring him and Doug (assuming that pressure is there that is)

No way they're going to cut him.

Only way he's not on the team is if someone offers AT LEAST an early 3rd rd pick for the 34 year old.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 06:37 AM by Caldrac.)

There's going to be several roster moves made between now and June 1st. I think we're already negative $3.2M today as it stands. We do have another $5.7M tied up in the form of dead money with Telvin Smith's contract. Below is an outline of some potential savings this off season. 

With Jags02's recent passing. I figured I would try and do my best to figure out this cap stuff for us. A lot of the guess work can be taken out of the equation though by simply following the tables on overthecap.com. 

RIP Jags02!!

1) Marcell Dareus - Dareus falls into the bottom quadrant, representing "Poor Value" according to the Valuation Diamond Explanation Page. Further, if the Jags cut Dareus by June 1, they'll free up $20M of cap space.

2) Marquise Lee - Lee has an $8.75M cap number for 2020, his valuation diamond shows he performed at $719K level (injury adjusted). The Jags can save $5.25M by cutting Lee.

3) Calais Campbell - Campbell earns a big $15M salary for 2020, and the Jags can improve their cap situation by the full $15M by cutting Campbell, but his VD is described as "high-expenditure/proper value". GM Dave Caldwell will discuss restructuring Campbell's deal.

4) A.J Bouye - Set to earn $11.4M this year. Potential savings here. But would come at the expense of essentially having zero veteran leadership in our secondary. Plus back filling two spots that seemed to be this team's greatest strength just two seasons ago. 

5) Andrew Norwell - Set to earn $5.5M this year. More potential savings. On the fence with him. When he's good he's good. When he's bad he's BAD. 

SIDE NOTE:

1) Gardner Minshew - What does "Good Value" look like? Uncle Rico's performance-based valuation is $17.1M, but he's only earning $678K annually.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

I don't think this team can afford to lose another round of veterans like they did last year. Especially on defense when it was clearly the weakest aspect of the team last year compounded with a plethora of injuries. Cutting Dareus makes the most sense. Doubtful they'll be able to restructure Campbell if he feels this way already reportedly about his current salary. 

Bouye being a potential cut is scary with just Herndon and Hayden to rely on going into free agency and the draft. Which will be frustrating for me personally because those early draft picks should be utilized to bolster other key areas of weakness but now you're potentially looking at replacing proven players with shiny new players at the very same position. 

Lee's release is inevitable. Just can't stay healthy. Nothing personal. But sometimes the best ability is availability. Ultimately. No matter how you slice it this off season. Losing ANY veteran on this team will hurt us in the long run. Especially when you look at the schedule coming up this year. 
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-01-2020, 06:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There's going to be several roster moves made between now and June 1st. I think we're already negative $3.2M today as it stands. We do have another $5.7M tied up in the form of dead money with Telvin Smith's contract. Below is an outline of some potential savings this off season. 

With Jags02's recent passing. I figured I would try and do my best to figure out this cap stuff for us. A lot of the guess work can be taken out of the equation though by simply following the tables on overthecap.com. 

RIP Jags02!!

1) Marcell Dareus - Dareus falls into the bottom quadrant, representing "Poor Value" according to the Valuation Diamond Explanation Page. Further, if the Jags cut Dareus by June 1, they'll free up $20M of cap space.

2) Marquise Lee - Lee has an $8.75M cap number for 2020, his valuation diamond shows he performed at $719K level (injury adjusted). The Jags can save $5.25M by cutting Lee.

3) Calais Campbell - Campbell earns a big $15M salary for 2020, and the Jags can improve their cap situation by the full $15M by cutting Campbell, but his VD is described as "high-expenditure/proper value". GM Dave Caldwell will discuss restructuring Campbell's deal.

4) A.J Bouye - Set to earn $11.4M this year. Potential savings here. But would come at the expense of essentially having zero veteran leadership in our secondary. Plus back filling two spots that seemed to be this team's greatest strength just two seasons ago. 

5) Andrew Norwell - Set to earn $5.5M this year. More potential savings. On the fence with him. When he's good he's good. When he's bad he's BAD. 

SIDE NOTE:

1) Gardner Minshew - What does "Good Value" look like? Uncle Rico's performance-based valuation is $17.1M, but he's only earning $678K annually.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

I don't think this team can afford to lose another round of veterans like they did last year. Especially on defense when it was clearly the weakest aspect of the team last year compounded with a plethora of injuries. Cutting Dareus makes the most sense. Doubtful they'll be able to restructure Campbell if he feels this way already reportedly about his current salary. 

Bouye being a potential cut is scary with just Herndon and Hayden to rely on going into free agency and the draft. Which will be frustrating for me personally because those early draft picks should be utilized to bolster other key areas of weakness but now you're potentially looking at replacing proven players with shiny new players at the very same position. 

Lee's release is inevitable. Just can't stay healthy. Nothing personal. But sometimes the best ability is availability. Ultimately. No matter how you slice it this off season. Losing ANY veteran on this team will hurt us in the long run. Especially when you look at the schedule coming up this year. 

Abry Jones, Swaim, and Ryan gives you almost 15 million in space once they get cut. Linder is 8, a restructure or extension there could lower that. Same with Campbell and Bouye; mostly base salary and current year bonus that could be negotiated. Cutting Conley saves 2.3 this year, but he is borderline to me. Obviously Foles goes next year.

All in all the cap situation seems like its playing out right, older players are a decision, but we don't appear to be anywhere near cap hell like the last time Coughlin left. We can make the needed room for next year and we have a bunch of picks.

(02-02-2020, 08:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 06:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There's going to be several roster moves made between now and June 1st. I think we're already negative $3.2M today as it stands. We do have another $5.7M tied up in the form of dead money with Telvin Smith's contract. Below is an outline of some potential savings this off season. 

RIP Jags02!!

SIDE NOTE:

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

Abry Jones, Swaim, and Ryan gives you almost 15 million in space once they get cut. Linder is 8, a restructure or extension there could lower that. Same with Campbell and Bouye; mostly base salary and current year bonus that could be negotiated. Cutting Conley saves 2.3 this year, but he is borderline to me. Obviously Foles goes next year.

All in all the cap situation seems like its playing out right, older players are a decision, but we don't appear to be anywhere near cap hell like the last time Coughlin left. We can make the needed room for next year and we have a bunch of picks.

Imagine how well off we'd be if Caldwell knew what he was doing...  Smile
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I wanted him gone 2 years ago. My thoughts haven't changed on this.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up