Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Texans coach Bill O'Brien gains general manager title

Texans coach Bill O'Brien gains general manager title

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ager-title

The Texans announced Tuesday that Bill O'Brien gained the GM title that was vacant since the team fired Brian Gaine. The Texans also announced Jack Easterby is now the EVP of football operations.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bill doesn't strike me as an intelligent guy.

Looking forward to the cap hell he will put them in.

I wouldn't call him unintelligent. I would, however, consider him daring to the border of recklessness. Perhaps the same outcome.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

This will last a year. Should be fun to watch from the perspective of division rivals.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

He’s not BB. Good coach, but we’ll see. Maybe I’m wrong.

(01-29-2020, 01:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Bill doesn't strike me as an intelligent guy.

I agree that making BOB GM will likely lead to cap hell. He’s had this team in the playoffs for too many years to not try and go all in to get to the next level. O Brien is a tricky coach to judge. On the one hand, I don’t think he’s a great coach. On the other, the Texans keep finding ways to sneak into the playoffs and win the division even tho it seems like they are not the strongest team in the division. I guess that last sentence kind of tells why I think he is alright. The team hits above its overall talent level in my mind. The problem is, it isn’t a good team and gets beat by actual good teams when the playoffs come. Thus BOB will be forced to try and make more ‘splashes in an attempt to get talent. Cap he’ll is where this is going.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Why???

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2020, 02:25 PM by SeldomRite.)

(02-01-2020, 05:58 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 01:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Bill doesn't strike me as an intelligent guy.

I agree that making BOB GM will likely lead to cap hell. He’s had this team in the playoffs for too many years to not try and go all in to get to the next level. O Brien is a tricky coach to judge. On the one hand, I don’t think he’s a great coach. On the other, the Texans keep finding ways to sneak into the playoffs and win the division even tho it seems like they are not the strongest team in the division. I guess that last sentence kind of tells why I think he is alright. The team hits above its overall talent level in my mind. The problem is, it isn’t a good team and gets beat by actual good teams when the playoffs come. Thus BOB will be forced to try and make more ‘splashes in an attempt to get talent. Cap he’ll is where this is going.

I see it the opposite way, when have they won the division when they didn't have the most talent?

This season they got lucky that the titans kept trying to make Mariota happen. If they'd have started Tannehill the whole season I don't think the texans even make the playoffs.

Haha, I love the move. The dude is a complete idiot. Great move for us

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2020, 04:44 PM by BattleRedBlood.)

From this Texans fan, all I can say is this. O'Brien was already the acting GM last season, the title is only officially being given to him now. I don't think it is a horrible move from a talent acquisition standpoint. He brought us some good play makers that helped the team win some games, but more importantly, keep DW4 from being broken. That said, I don't think he yet has the mind to handle contract negotiating (we fired Chris Olsen who managed our contract negotiations and salary cap), and we have very important contracts to hand out coming up in Watson, DJ Reader, and Tunsil. I also have no clue how he is going to manage the draft, especially after trading off draft capital. I agree with those here that think this is the makings of CAP HELL.

Besides the above, I think he is a good coach, he could be great if he could learn to manage a game (i.e. timeouts, challenges, etc etc). What he is absolutely horrible as however, is offensive coordinator. His play calling has no rhyme or reason, the offense no real identity. We have a QB that could be one of the greats, operating in an offense that limits him and his growth. Yes....we do have an offensive coordinator by the name of Tim Kelly who is given no opportunity to call a game or devise a strategy, but make no mistake, O'Brien is the OC, and a bad one at that.

If he is a good General Manager, he would immediately stop trying to force DW4 into his mold and find an OC who could game plan to our QB's strengths. But.....he won't. Cap hell....here we come.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(02-02-2020, 04:41 PM)BattleRedBlood Wrote: From this Texans fan, all I can say is this. O'Brien was already the acting GM last season, the title is only officially being given to him now. I don't think it is a horrible move from a talent acquisition standpoint. He brought us some good play makers that helped the team win some games, but more importantly, keep DW4 from being broken. That said, I don't think he yet has the mind to handle contract negotiating (we fired Chris Olsen who managed our contract negotiations and salary cap), and we have very important contracts to hand out coming up in Watson, DJ Reader, and Tunsil. I also have no clue how he is going to manage the draft, especially after trading off draft capital. I agree with those here that think this is the makings of CAP HELL.

Besides the above, I think he is a good coach, he could be great if he could learn to manage a game (i.e. timeouts, challenges, etc etc). What he is absolutely horrible as however, is offensive coordinator. His play calling has no rhyme or reason, the offense no real identity. We have a QB that could be one of the greats, operating in an offense that limits him and his growth. Yes....we do have an offensive coordinator by the name of Tim Kelly who is given no opportunity to call a game or devise a strategy, but make no mistake, O'Brien is the OC, and a bad one at that.

If he is a good General Manager, he would immediately stop trying to force DW4 into his mold and find an OC who could game plan to our QB's strengths. But.....he won't. Cap hell....here we come.

Dont worry.  Most coaches in this league hinder the growth of their players because they are dumb.  They force players to play their way and it stunts their growth until they either go to a team that maximizes their talent or they retire.  The main reason we are still debating mobile QBs durability and ceiling is because of this way of thinking.  Same retread of coaches and philosophies and same results with a new generation of players and talent.  Once we get new and better coaches then we will have a different type of league.  Until then oh well.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I wish it was good news for Jags fans but really this is thrilling to Colts and Titans. Until we can actual beat teams in the division, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Or just him trading away his best players for nothing. Awesome.

(03-17-2020, 12:25 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Or just him trading away his best players for nothing. Awesome.

Its going to be interesting next year to say the least: Tunsil will want to get paid, you have the 5th year option on Watson, Watt/Mercilus are making THEIR money.....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn