Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Super Bowl LIV-49ers vs Chiefs

Shanahan is a pro choker. How he got away from the run in the 4th Q is baffling. Jimmy G missed some throws, especially that one to Sanders but man... Shanahan really screwed up.

I thought he was coaching well up until that point, even not calling the TOs under 2 mins when most thought he should. Reason being if the Chiefs hit a good punt then the 49ers were kind of royally F’d. The thing is the Chiefs did hit a good one and could of pinned them on the 1 had the guy actually tossed the ball back to his teammate.

I am glad I got to see a competitive ball game though, all I asked for. It was relatively flag free as well. Thought that one PI to Kittle was meh. Also, that one catch Hill had reversed I swear I’ve seen the refs call that a catch after review during the season. Thought there was like a modification to the rule that ball can sort of touch the ground as long as the receiver has possession and the ball doesn’t move.

My first thought after the game though... damn we really took Fournette over Mahomes lol. Big oof.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Like many others, I am happy for Andy Reid. He's a class act and has been a terrific coach who up until yesterday fell short of leading a team to a Super Bowl win. I think Reid desterves to eventually be voted into the Pro Football HOF. His coaching tree and influence on the NFL game speaks volumes. Not to mention his overall W-L record.

Patrick Mahomes reminds me of an even more talented Russell Wilson from the standpoint of a QB with great ability, intangibles, and character. In a baseball simulation league ( APBA ), I drafted his father in the early 1990s. Pat Mahomes was a talented pitcher who had problems with control. His son is a much more accurate thrower.

Though Patrick Mahomes, Damien Williams, and Tyreek Hill contributed greatly to the Chiefs comeback win from 10 down in the 4th QTR, the player who I thought should have been voted Super Bowl MVP was Chris Jones. He helped force an interception, deflected at least 3 passes, and was a major factor in the 49ers not taking the game over with their rushing attack the ways they did vs. the Vikings and Packers in the NFC playoffs.

(02-03-2020, 02:47 PM)D6 Wrote: Like many others,  I am happy for Andy Reid.  He's a class act and has been a terrific coach who up until yesterday fell short of leading a team to a Super Bowl win.  I think Reid desterves to eventually be voted into the Pro Football HOF.  His coaching tree and influence on the NFL game speaks volumes.  Not to mention his overall W-L record.  

Patrick Mahomes reminds me of an even more talented Russell Wilson from the standpoint of a QB with great ability,  intangibles,  and character.  In a baseball simulation league ( APBA ),  I drafted his father in the early 1990s.  Pat Mahomes was a talented pitcher who had problems with control.  His son is a much more accurate thrower.  

Though Patrick Mahomes,  Damien Williams,  and Tyreek Hill contributed greatly to the Chiefs comeback win from 10 down in the 4th QTR,  the player who I thought should have been voted Super Bowl MVP was Chris Jones.  He helped force an interception, deflected at least 3 passes,  and was a major factor in the 49ers not taking the game over with their rushing attack the ways they did vs. the Vikings and Packers in the NFC playoffs.

Are you talking about the 'board game' for APBA?  I used to love that game growing up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Reid has only had 3 losing seasons in 21 years. That is absolutely unreal.

(02-03-2020, 04:33 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 02:47 PM)D6 Wrote: Like many others,  I am happy for Andy Reid.  He's a class act and has been a terrific coach who up until yesterday fell short of leading a team to a Super Bowl win.  I think Reid desterves to eventually be voted into the Pro Football HOF.  His coaching tree and influence on the NFL game speaks volumes.  Not to mention his overall W-L record.  

Patrick Mahomes reminds me of an even more talented Russell Wilson from the standpoint of a QB with great ability,  intangibles,  and character.  In a baseball simulation league ( APBA ),  I drafted his father in the early 1990s.  Pat Mahomes was a talented pitcher who had problems with control.  His son is a much more accurate thrower.  

Though Patrick Mahomes,  Damien Williams,  and Tyreek Hill contributed greatly to the Chiefs comeback win from 10 down in the 4th QTR,  the player who I thought should have been voted Super Bowl MVP was Chris Jones.  He helped force an interception, deflected at least 3 passes,  and was a major factor in the 49ers not taking the game over with their rushing attack the ways they did vs. the Vikings and Packers in the NFC playoffs.

Are you talking about the 'board game' for APBA?  I used to love that game growing up.

Yes!   It's my favorite board game of all time!  

P.F. also is a long time player of APBA Baseball. 

APBA has an Online version of APBA Baseball called APBA GO.   I never played a game using APBA GO but I have purchased new seasons because they come out with information on the cards before the cards are printed.

(02-03-2020, 04:34 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Reid has only had 3 losing seasons in 21 years.  That is absolutely unreal.

it would be a terrific accomplishment in any era. It's that much more in the Salary Cap / Free Agency era.

Like Andy Reid, dont like the overrated Garopolo, so glad Chiefs won.  Game similar to our AFC championship against NE. Time on clock at end of 1st half, and Niners dont trust thier QB.  20-10 lead in 4th, and KC comes back to win. If they dont get the last garbage TD, score is the same.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-03-2020, 05:51 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 04:33 PM)Rico Wrote: Are you talking about the 'board game' for APBA?  I used to love that game growing up.

APBA has an Online version of APBA Baseball called APBA GO.   I never played a game using APBA GO but I have purchased new seasons because they come out with information on the cards before the cards are printed.

I was just poking around online and it looks like the newer version only come with four teams.  If I recall correctly, didn't it used to come with all MLB teams?  Granted, this was back in the 60's and 70's when it was relatively new.  I went through so many scorebooks with that came.  I had stacks of them.

(02-04-2020, 08:29 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 05:51 PM)D6 Wrote: Yes!   It's my favorite board game of all time!  

I was just poking around online and it looks like the newer version only come with four teams.  If I recall correctly, didn't it used to come with all MLB teams?  Granted, this was back in the 60's and 70's when it was relatively new.  I went through so many scorebooks with that came.  I had stacks of them.

The newer version of the APBA Board Game does indeed only come with 4 teams.  One would have to order a complete season card set separately in order to have all of the teams from that season.  

I believe that in the mid 1970s when I first starting playing APBA Baseball,  the cards from all of the MLB teams had to be ordered separately.  I plan on asking someone who very likely would know the answer to this question.   

There was a time ( I forget when ) APBA only provided 2 teams with an order of their baseball board game.  With both teams being past great teams at one point.  At another point,  they provided all time great players the size of two separate teams.

(02-03-2020, 01:39 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Shanahan is a pro choker. How he got away from the run in the 4th Q is baffling. Jimmy G missed some throws, especially that one to Sanders but man... Shanahan really screwed up.

I thought he was coaching well up until that point, even not calling the TOs under 2 mins when most thought he should. Reason being if the Chiefs hit a good punt then the 49ers were kind of royally F’d. The thing is the Chiefs did hit a good one and could of pinned them on the 1 had the guy actually tossed the ball back to his teammate.

I am glad I got to see a competitive ball game though, all I asked for. It was relatively flag free as well. Thought that one PI to Kittle was meh. Also, that one catch Hill had reversed I swear I’ve seen the refs call that a catch after review during the season. Thought there was like a modification to the rule that ball can sort of touch the ground as long as the receiver has possession and the ball doesn’t move.

My first thought after the game though... damn we really took Fournette over Mahomes lol. Big oof.

Naw Jimmy just isn't any good and he choked that game away. 3/11 for 36 yards and 1 INT in the 4th. If everything isn't going perfect for him he crumbles.

That team won because of coaching/scheme all season. Well that and about 8 1st round picks on Defense, but mostly coaching/scheme.

Jimmy didn't create a single play for them all season long. Literally not one. They never made a single off schedule play all season. If it didn't work how it was drawn up, the play was over. Jimmy can't create anything on his own and it really showed in that 4th quarter. He choked that game away and was the main reason they lost. People simply putting all of the blame on Shanahan is a joke.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM by PF*.)

(02-03-2020, 05:51 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 04:33 PM)Rico Wrote: Are you talking about the 'board game' for APBA?  I used to love that game growing up.

Third APBA guy checking in here- can't believe that Rico and I have played golf a couple of times and this never came up. I've been in a continuous APBA baseball league for 42 years and it never ceases to amaze me. One guy in the group (17 of the original 19 are still in, one passed away) never had a no-hitter and then had 2 in the same 5 game series last week. Go figure.

Another recent series had a game with 4 total hits, none of them singles and I don't know if that's ever happened in MLB. Must have.

As to your question, David, I can't answer it...I do remember 2 teams being provided with the game. We now just buy the current season player set and split them up to whoever owns them.

Better get on topic: Shanahan also blew the Falcons 28-3 lead in the SB over the Patriots as Atlanta's OC. Instead of sitting on the ball at the 21 and burning the Pats timeouts, then kicking a FG, he went to the air and gave away the game.

Edit: Happy Birthday D6, IIRC it's around now, maybe the 6th?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(02-05-2020, 06:18 PM)PF* Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 05:51 PM)D6 Wrote: Yes!   It's my favorite board game of all time!  

Third APBA guy checking in here- can't believe that Rico and I have played golf a couple of times and this never came up. I've been in a continuous APBA baseball league for 42 years and it never ceases to amaze me. One guy in the group (17 of the original 19 are still in, one passed away) never had a no-hitter and then had 2 in the same 5 game series last week. Go figure.

Another recent series had a game with 4 total hits, none of them singles and I don't know if that's ever happened in MLB. Must have.

As to your question, David, I can't answer it...I do remember 2 teams being provided with the game. We now just buy the current season player set and split them up to whoever owns them.

Better get on topic: Shanahan also blew the Falcons 28-3 lead in the SB over the Patriots as Atlanta's OC. Instead of sitting on the ball at the 21 and burning the Pats timeouts, then kicking a FG, he went to the air and gave away the game.

Thanks, PF!   You have a great memory!  I recall your Birthday with the help of it being a week after mine. 

What you mentioned regarding No Hitters reminds me of it taking 51 seasons for the Mets to have their first pitched No Hitter ( Johan Santana ).  As it turned out,  the effort it took Santana to throw a Complete Game No Hitter likely contributed greatly to his MLB pitching career being derailed.  That had a huge adverse affect on my continuous ownership APBA team. 

Along with what you mentioned,  the sack that Matt Ryan took on 3rd Down took the Falcons out of FG range.  

Kyle Shanahan has done a heck of a job in helping two teams get to the Big Game.  Including, as 49ers HC.  He more likely than not will help lead a team to a Super Bowl win at some point in his HC career.  At present,  his two worst coaching performances,  especially when considering the stakes,  were probably in the 4th QTR of 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

(02-06-2020, 03:44 AM)D6 Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 06:18 PM)PF* Wrote: Third APBA guy checking in here- can't believe that Rico and I have played golf a couple of times and this never came up. I've been in a continuous APBA baseball league for 42 years and it never ceases to amaze me. One guy in the group (17 of the original 19 are still in, one passed away) never had a no-hitter and then had 2 in the same 5 game series last week. Go figure.

Thanks, PF!   You have a great memory!  I recall your Birthday with the help of it being a week after mine. 

What you mentioned regarding No Hitters reminds me of it taking 51 seasons for the Mets to have their first pitched No Hitter ( Johan Santana ).  As it turned out,  the effort it took Santana to throw a Complete Game No Hitter likely contributed greatly to his MLB pitching career being derailed.  That had a huge adverse affect on my continuous ownership APBA team. 

Along with what you mentioned,  the sack that Matt Ryan took on 3rd Down took the Falcons out of FG range.  

Kyle Shanahan has done a heck of a job in helping two teams get to the Big Game.  Including, as 49ers HC.  He more likely than not will help lead a team to a Super Bowl win at some point in his HC career.  At present,  his two worst coaching performances,  especially when considering the stakes,  were probably in the 4th QTR of 2 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

You, too, are correct...my birthday is next week.

Shanahan has done a good job- a great job if you look past those 2 sets of poor decisions but, as you pointed out, they couldn't have come at worse times.

That was an awful sequence for the Falcons and the sack was unforgivable. Dive, dive, dive would've left the Pats with no timeouts and Atl would be attempting a, what, 37 yd FG for an 11 pt lead and little time remaining.

Arthur Blank walking the sideline shaking hands reminded me immediately of the 1986 ALCS when the Angels (led by Reggie Jackson) were all shaking Gene Mauch's hand and hugging him in the dugout as it was going to be his first trip to the WS. 

Donnie Ray Moore (also has my birthday) was on the mound and was untouchable all season long, had 2 strikes on David Henderson when Hendu tied it with an unlikely HR. Sox won, went to the WS and Donnie Ray Moore committed suicide a couple years later..
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(02-06-2020, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:44 AM)D6 Wrote: Thanks, PF!   You have a great memory!  I recall your Birthday with the help of it being a week after mine. 

Shanahan has done a good job- a great job if you look past those 2 sets of poor decisions but, as you pointed out, they couldn't have come at worse times.

That was an awful sequence for the Falcons and the sack was unforgivable. Dive, dive, dive would've left the Pats with no timeouts and Atl would be attempting a, what, 37 yd FG for an 11 pt lead and little time remaining.

Arthur Blank walking the sideline shaking hands reminded me immediately of the 1986 ALCS when the Angels (led by Reggie Jackson) were all shaking Gene Mauch's hand and hugging him in the dugout as it was going to be his first trip to the WS. 

Donnie Ray Moore (also has my birthday) was on the mound and was untouchable all season long, had 2 strikes on David Henderson when Hendu tied it with an unlikely HR. Sox won, went to the WS and Donnie Ray Moore committed suicide a couple years later..

Ahhhh...the Bill Buckner year.

(02-06-2020, 12:05 PM)PF* Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:44 AM)D6 Wrote: Thanks, PF!   You have a great memory!  I recall your Birthday with the help of it being a week after mine. 

Happy Birthday, PF!   With the best ahead for you and your family!

It's going to be interesting to see how the 49ers respond after being unable to hold a 10 point 4th QTR lead against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.   It's going to be quite a challenge for them to get back to the Super Bowl in the 2021 season.  Especially,  being in a division with the Seattle Seahawks,  which came close to getting to the NFC Championship game despite an injury situation that was one of the worst in the NFL.