Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 01:03 PM by pirkster.)

I used to hate Rush in the early/mid 90s.

When I took a mature, honest look inward, I realized it was because he was right about many things I was wrong about. These were my college years where I tore down my previous beliefs/worldview, and began to rebuild them on my own. A lot like they recommend during jury duty, I took the opposite stance I usually did and argued/stood for the opposite side. I had friends in Iraq, so I wasn't a fan of GHW even though he was part of the greatest administration of my lifetime (and one of the best of all time.) So, I mocked my friends and took Clinton's side. That election ended up being the only eligible year of my life I didn't vote. Once I began to build my worldview on a stable, logical foundation on which our country was built... I moved back to the center. Clinton proved me very, very wrong. At the same time, it's nearly unfathomable how far left Democrats have gone since then. He was spot on during those years, which led to the growth of his program.

He says things other people are already thinking themselves. Most of the left has no means of understanding this. For me, it's plain as day, since I used to be exactly the same and have the same annoyance with him. They are today who I used to be, who I grew out of once I began removing emotion and thinking logically. If you summarily reject conservatism (his message) without introspection and intellectual honesty, you'll never grow out of a child's viewpoint.

I hope he beats this, he deserves to. He's been entertaining and enlightening for a long, long time and can't be replaced.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-04-2020, 01:33 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 11:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: Every time I visited my grandfather, we had to listen to all three hours of Rush.  He enjoyed it, still does.  Even when Rush would get worked up, my grandfather would just be taking it in, calmly.  But my grandmother would get worked up right along with Rush.  I'd ask my grandfather afterwards if he agreed with everything, and he would say most of it, that he had sort of tuned out the parts he found himself not agreeing with, but still enjoyed the show.  I'd ask my grandmother the same question.  She wouldn't answer, but she would usually say something about how the evil Democrats were going to ruin everything, that they were so deluded, so brainless, etc.  I don't think my grandmother enjoyed any of this.  Twenty years ago she would go on trips, garden, clean, and read lots of books. Ten years ago, her health was fading, and the only habit she was keeping up from her healthier years was Rush, and it still got her so worked up. She passed five years ago. She never complained to me or my mom, but we both feel like my grandfather could have found some way to subtract the Rush and add back in happier things.  But we don't think she ever complained to grandpa either.  For all any of us know she liked getting worked up like that.

Jeff...  is that you?

Name's Mike.  Yours?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-04-2020, 01:01 PM)pirkster Wrote: I used to hate Rush in the early/mid 90s.

When I took a mature, honest look inward, I realized it was because he was right about many things I was wrong about.  These were my college years where I tore down my previous beliefs/worldview, and began to rebuild them on my own.  A lot like they recommend during jury duty, I took the opposite stance I usually did and argued/stood for the opposite side.  I had friends in Iraq, so I wasn't a fan of GHW even though he was part of the greatest administration of my lifetime (and one of the best of all time.)  So, I mocked my friends and took Clinton's side.  That election ended up being the only eligible year of my life I didn't vote.  Once I began to build my worldview on a stable, logical foundation on which our country was built... I moved back to the center.  Clinton proved me very, very wrong.  At the same time, it's nearly unfathomable how far left Democrats have gone since then.  He was spot on during those years, which led to the growth of his program.

He says things other people are already thinking themselves.  Most of the left has no means of understanding this.  For me, it's plain as day, since I used to be exactly the same and have the same annoyance with him.  They are today who I used to be, who I grew out of once I began removing emotion and thinking logically.  If you summarily reject conservatism (his message) without introspection and intellectual honesty, you'll never grow out of a child's viewpoint.

I hope he beats this, he deserves to.  He's been entertaining and enlightening for a long, long time and can't be replaced.

When you listen to Rush through the ears of an adult with actual responsibilities in this world, 95% of what he says is true and not even a matter of opinion.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 01:26 PM by pirkster.)

Contrast him with Hannity, who I can't stand.

Hannity was good when he shared the program with Colmes.

Sometime during the W years, he changed after he went out on his own. He mirrored the trash shows on CNN and MSNBC where they pit 3, 4, on one solitary voice of disagreement (like Maddow - he's the Fox version of her to be honest.) His show ends up being beat the heretic like a pinata, just the same as theirs. Can't stand him now. He's a blowhard, where Rush is actually witty and has fun entertaining.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-04-2020, 01:22 PM)pirkster Wrote: Contrast him with Hannity, who I can't stand.

Sometime during the W years, he changed after he went out on his own.  He mirrored the trash shows on CNN and MSNBC where they pit 3, 4, on one solitary voice of disagreement (like Maddow - he's the Fox version of her to be honest.)  His show ends up being beat the heretic with the pinata, just the same as theirs.  Can't stand him now.  He's a blowhard, where Rush is actually witty and has fun entertaining.

The left will attack with Hannity insults, but I agree, I actually skip his show and watch Tucker and Ingraham. Tucker has a lot of the qualities Rush has IMO.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 01:41 PM by mikesez.)

(02-04-2020, 01:22 PM)pirkster Wrote: Contrast him with Hannity, who I can't stand.

Sometime during the W years, he changed after he went out on his own.  He mirrored the trash shows on CNN and MSNBC where they pit 3, 4, on one solitary voice of disagreement (like Maddow - he's the Fox version of her to be honest.)  His show ends up being beat the heretic like a pinata, just the same as theirs.  Can't stand him now.  He's a blowhard, where Rush is actually witty and has fun entertaining.

Yeah I always got the impression Rush was very clever and very funny. I also thought it took talent the way he could keep you listening. The way he was aloof to Bush 41 at first and then came around, and the way he stayed neutral until Trump won the nomination. Took a lot of talent.

But Hannity always came across to me as a humorless bully.

(02-04-2020, 01:01 PM)pirkster Wrote: I used to hate Rush in the early/mid 90s.

When I took a mature, honest look inward, I realized it was because he was right about many things I was wrong about.  These were my college years where I tore down my previous beliefs/worldview, and began to rebuild them on my own.  A lot like they recommend during jury duty, I took the opposite stance I usually did and argued/stood for the opposite side.  I had friends in Iraq, so I wasn't a fan of GHW even though he was part of the greatest administration of my lifetime (and one of the best of all time.)  So, I mocked my friends and took Clinton's side.  That election ended up being the only eligible year of my life I didn't vote.  Once I began to build my worldview on a stable, logical foundation on which our country was built... I moved back to the center.  Clinton proved me very, very wrong.  At the same time, it's nearly unfathomable how far left Democrats have gone since then.  He was spot on during those years, which led to the growth of his program.

He says things other people are already thinking themselves.  Most of the left has no means of understanding this.  For me, it's plain as day, since I used to be exactly the same and have the same annoyance with him.  They are today who I used to be, who I grew out of once I began removing emotion and thinking logically.  If you summarily reject conservatism (his message) without introspection and intellectual honesty, you'll never grow out of a child's viewpoint.

I hope he beats this, he deserves to.  He's been entertaining and enlightening for a long, long time and can't be replaced.

The problem with the world today is no one does this anymore.

I started at 14, which is way too young, and everyone thought I was a heartless monster.

(02-04-2020, 01:40 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Sometime during the W years, he changed after he went out on his own.  He mirrored the trash shows on CNN and MSNBC where they pit 3, 4, on one solitary voice of disagreement (like Maddow - he's the Fox version of her to be honest.)  His show ends up being beat the heretic like a pinata, just the same as theirs.  Can't stand him now.  He's a blowhard, where Rush is actually witty and has fun entertaining.

Yeah I always got the impression Rush was very clever and very funny. I also thought it took talent the way he could keep you listening. The way he was aloof to Bush 41 at first and then came around, and the way he stayed neutral until Trump won the nomination. Took a lot of talent.

But Hannity always came across to me as a humorless bully.

The few times I've been hooked to come back after the traffic report I hear what could've been an interesting interview if Hannity didn't talk over the person the whole damn segment. Once that starts it's back to Frangie and whoever is in studio with him today. I much prefer to hear Frangie tell his unfunny war stories than Hannity repeat his litany of talking point buzzwords.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

With his cigar habit, this is not surprising. In any case, whether you agree with everything out of his mouth, he is a good listen.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I agree 100% as far as Sean Hannity.

As far as Rush, most of the time I enjoy listening to him, though sometimes regardless of what he says it's all about him.  I hate to hear about his illness.  Cancer sucks.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Today would have been a good day to offer Rush Limbaugh the presidential medal of freedom before the cancer gets him.
Yesterday, during the state of the union address, was not a good time.
Republicans today will do well to remember that two can play these games.

(02-05-2020, 09:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: Today would have been a good day to offer Rush Limbaugh the presidential medal of freedom before the cancer gets him.

THIS is your beef with the SOTU? Of course it is. Of course it is. 

Before the cancer gets him? Never change Mike.

(02-05-2020, 09:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 09:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: Today would have been a good day to offer Rush Limbaugh the presidential medal of freedom before the cancer gets him.

THIS is your beef with the SOTU? Of course it is. Of course it is. 

It's not my only beef.

We're discussing a professional provocateur who called Chelsea Clinton a dog and Sandra Fluke a whore.  Like you, like me, he is going to die. He doesn't need you to feel any outrage over my saying so.  And he has no right to feel it himself, unless he first steps back from the callous way he has addressed others for more than 30 years.

Look, the man was right about a lot of stuff.  But he was rarely polite, and none of us owe it to him to be polite while discussing the disease he has.

(02-05-2020, 11:30 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 09:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: THIS is your beef with the SOTU? Of course it is. Of course it is. 

It's not my only beef.

We're discussing a professional provocateur who called Chelsea Clinton a dog and Sandra Fluke a whore.  Like you, like me, he is going to die. He doesn't need you to feel any outrage over my saying so.  And he has no right to feel it himself, unless he first steps back from the callous way he has addressed others for more than 30 years.

Look, the man was right about a lot of stuff.  But he was rarely polite, and none of us owe it to him to be polite while discussing the disease he has.

I didn’t know being polite was a prerequisite for the Medal of Freedom.

AOCs comments were absolutely despicable. At some point there has to be a demonstration of shared humanity.

(02-05-2020, 12:11 PM)jj82284 Wrote: AOCs comments were absolutely despicable.  At some point there has to be a demonstration of shared humanity.

She doesn't think we share humanity with her. We should return the favor.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I mean, I'm not gonna miss him.

No they can't.  They dont have that kind of showman.

(02-05-2020, 05:17 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

No they can't.  They dont have that kind of showman.

You don't need showmanship, just ego. And they have that in spades.

(02-05-2020, 12:07 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:30 AM)mikesez Wrote: It's not my only beef.

I didn’t know being polite was a prerequisite for the Medal of Freedom.

Apparently being a pedophile and rapist is if the POTUS is a Democrat.

Harvey Milk

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"