Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

(10-30-2020, 09:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 09:07 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: Man, we really need that thumbs up button back.

Yup.

You must seriously have a mental condition.

(10-30-2020, 05:36 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're as Republican as I'm a Nigerian Prince looking for someone to help offshore 9 million dollars.

It may appear that way to a lot of people on this board, but that is because Mike is what we used to call a compassionate conservative.  They almost don’t exist anymore.  I kind of view myself the same way.  I guess to Trumplicans that makes me a pinko commie sympathizer as well.

You mean you're a SurrenderCon, those who don't have any principles too sacred to gift to the left on a silver platter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-30-2020, 10:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 09:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yup.

You must seriously have a mental condition.

(10-30-2020, 05:36 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: It may appear that way to a lot of people on this board, but that is because Mike is what we used to call a compassionate conservative.  They almost don’t exist anymore.  I kind of view myself the same way.  I guess to Trumplicans that makes me a pinko commie sympathizer as well.

You mean you're a SurrenderCon, those who don't have any principles too sacred to gift to the left on a silver platter.

This is what I mean.  Unless you're the furthest righty in the room, you have no principles.  That's what this country has become.  Whatever happened to normal people?  You know, the ones who were free to think for themselves and take various positions on meaningful issues without being slaves to extreme ideologies?  Far right & far left types are nothing but broken records, inflexible one-trick ponies that can only view the world through a kaleidoscope of their own manufacture, and they grow up to be rigid, bitter old farts.  That's where we are today, and why this country is so polarized.

FSG, you claim to be a Libertarian, and autonomy and freedom of choice are core beliefs of that party.  How can you come on here, day after day, and bash those values through your posts while blaming your behavior on your hatred for the left?
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(10-30-2020, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 05:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's the ego thing Bunnie refers to in another thread. Or narcissistic personality disorder. Or that he admits who he is here is not who he is IRL. If he's such a [BLEEP] here maybe he's actually chill IRL.

Stroud made that comment because I told an anecdote about my grandfather.  Above, today, you see Sammy tell an anecdote about his family.  His isn't "about him" and mine isn't "about me".  We're just talking here.  Cut everyone a little more slack.

You do it all the time. All. The. Time.

(10-31-2020, 01:01 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: Stroud made that comment because I told an anecdote about my grandfather.  Above, today, you see Sammy tell an anecdote about his family.  His isn't "about him" and mine isn't "about me".  We're just talking here.  Cut everyone a little more slack.

You do it all the time. All. The. Time.

+1 infinity
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

This year isn't all bad after all

(10-31-2020, 02:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: This year isn't all bad after all

Well aren’t you just a lovely person.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 07:00 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(10-30-2020, 05:36 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're as Republican as I'm a Nigerian Prince looking for someone to help offshore 9 million dollars.

It may appear that way to a lot of people on this board, but that is because Mike is what we used to call a compassionate conservative.  They almost don’t exist anymore.  I kind of view myself the same way.  I guess to Trumplicans that makes me a pinko commie sympathizer as well.

Mike is never someone I'd call a compassionate conservative. What you and Mike's stances are was never any part of the conservative political spectrum, not even close to the Kennedy democrats.. Hell, if JFK was alive today he would be a republican. His party has shifted so far left that it's left it's base behind.

(10-31-2020, 12:27 AM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 10:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You must seriously have a mental condition.

This is what I mean.  Unless you're the furthest righty in the room, you have no principles.  That's what this country has become.  Whatever happened to normal people?  You know, the ones who were free to think for themselves and take various positions on meaningful issues without being slaves to extreme ideologies?  Far right & far left types are nothing but broken records, inflexible one-trick ponies that can only view the world through a kaleidoscope of their own manufacture, and they grow up to be rigid, bitter old farts.  That's where we are today, and why this country is so polarized.

FSG, you claim to be a Libertarian, and autonomy and freedom of choice are core beliefs of that party.  How can you come on here, day after day, and bash those values through your posts while blaming your behavior on your hatred for the left?

It's quite easy to attack those who compromise their principles for a little popularity. Repubs and Dems are about a dime's worth of difference, it's just a matter of more big government or lots more big government running our lives. You're free to play footsie with the tyrants, but don't expect me to applaud you for it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 06:50 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(10-31-2020, 06:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 12:27 AM)KodiakJag Wrote: This is what I mean.  Unless you're the furthest righty in the room, you have no principles.  That's what this country has become.  Whatever happened to normal people?  You know, the ones who were free to think for themselves and take various positions on meaningful issues without being slaves to extreme ideologies?  Far right & far left types are nothing but broken records, inflexible one-trick ponies that can only view the world through a kaleidoscope of their own manufacture, and they grow up to be rigid, bitter old farts.  That's where we are today, and why this country is so polarized.

It's quite easy to attack those who compromise their principles for a little popularity. Repubs and Dems are about a dime's worth of difference, it's just a matter of more big government or lots more big government running our lives. You're free to play footsie with the tyrants, but don't expect me to applaud you for it.

There's the Rinos and then there's the tea party conservatives, remember them?

The left/MSM rigorously attacked that peaceful movement.. Rinos just patronized them, but the Tea Party sure as hell look like what people call "Trumpers" today lol. I like to call them free thinking Americans who can see straight through B.S.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 09:34 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(10-30-2020, 10:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You must seriously have a mental condition.

Apparently principles are on sale to China at the highest bidder these days.. Hell, the Lincoln bedroom was on rent in 1992.

When I read your [BLEEP] drivel, it reminds me of the Marxist teaching.. "Accuse your enemy of what you are doing, as you are doing it to create confusion"..  EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING the left has cried wolf about the last 4+ years, they are actually guilty of doing.. right down to the damn Russian sex pics  Laughing

Introspection is in short supply here.  Great questions.  I wouldn't expect great answers though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-31-2020, 05:20 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 05:36 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: It may appear that way to a lot of people on this board, but that is because Mike is what we used to call a compassionate conservative.  They almost don’t exist anymore.  I kind of view myself the same way.  I guess to Trumplicans that makes me a pinko commie sympathizer as well.

Mike is never someone I'd call a compassionate conservative. What you and Mike's stances are was never any part of the conservative political spectrum, not even close to the Kennedy democrats.. Hell, if JFK was alive today he would be a republican. His party has shifted so far left that it's left it's base behind.

I'm not sure I'd take the label "compassionate conservative".  That was a motto that Karl Rove invented for Bush 43.  90% of what Bush 43 said was said from a place of humility and respect for all Americans.  I like that.  Bush was also willing to accept ideas from his opponents if he thought they were good, specifically, the NCLB act which greatly enhanced federal oversight of public schools.  Unfortunately the policy itself was a disaster, just like choosing to invade Iraq while also antagonizing Iran was a disaster.
But yes, I'm conservative in the sense that I defer to tradition, I defer to the status quo.  And I'm compassionate in the sense that I wish our politicians would be more respectful to each other and consider each other's ideas on the merits instead of just rejecting everything the other side wants.  I'm also compassionate in the sense that I think politicians should analyze social problems like generational poverty and racism.  Now, a Democrat or modern progressive would act as if the government had the total solution to these things, all we have to do is spend more money.  I'm not that, though.  I'm a conservative so the main reason I want to look at these types of problems is just to see if current government policy is contributing to the problem or not.  If we find that current policy is part of the problem, that's when we have an imperative to change it.  
I just would rather not be associated with Bush 43 either.  I'm my own guy.  As are some of you.

Do you think Ted Kennedy would be a Republican today if he hadn't passed 10 years ago?

I am not the furthest righty in the room. Not by a long shot. I just understand the pillars that hold up conservativism, and I understand the pillars that support the progressive movement. I am so anti-progressive that it doesn't matter any more. Democrats are slowly yielding their platform to progressives, and it IS dangerous. I believe people that are voting Democrat are, in the long run, contributing to the destruction of our constitution. The constitution is the only thing that protects our rights. It's not more complicated than that.

Also, I think it's weird to characterize all Trump supporters as far right Republicans. There are more democratic Trump supporters than ever before. More Black supporters. More Hispanic supporters. There is more diversity in the Trump administration than ever before, both in thought and demographic. The thing that binds Trump supporters is the hope for a strong America, and that should be perfectly fine in a national election.

(10-31-2020, 02:43 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 02:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: This year isn't all bad after all

Well aren’t you just a lovely person.

Terrible people dying is always good news

(10-31-2020, 12:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 02:43 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Well aren’t you just a lovely person.

Terrible people dying is always good news

I perfectly understand your sour grapes as a foreigner who can't enjoy the blessings of being an American for which values Limbaugh is the figurehead.

(10-31-2020, 02:34 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 12:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: Terrible people dying is always good news

I perfectly understand your sour grapes as a foreigner who can't enjoy the blessings of being an American for which values Limbaugh is the figurehead.

Do they have partisan talk radio in Ireland?
They used to, I'm sure! 
It didn't end well though.

I don't blame Rush.  I forgive him for he knows not what he does.  He found a way to make beaucoup $$ and made it his identity and held on to it til the end.  Most of us would have done the same.

(02-05-2020, 02:03 PM)TJBender Wrote: I mean, I'm not gonna miss him.

Agreed. I don't wish cancer on anyone but him no longer being around isn't going to change my life. That's the nicest thing I can say about him.

Ted Kennedy a Republican!? Let's see, get's away with murder.. Nope, He's a Democrat.

(10-31-2020, 04:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Ted Kennedy a Republican!?  Let's see, get's away with murder.. Nope, He's a Democrat.

I guess he should have just hit that girl in the face with some bird shot. Then he could be a Republican.

(10-31-2020, 04:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 04:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Ted Kennedy a Republican!?  Let's see, get's away with murder.. Nope, He's a Democrat.

I guess he should have just hit that girl in the face with some bird shot. Then he could be a Republican.

I’m sure she’d have rather been hit by bird shot and be around to complain about it than on the bottom of the river...dead.