Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"Emoluments" nonsense case tossed out on its ear

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 03:10 PM by pirkster.)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/politics/...index.html

Alternate Universe hardest hit.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If a majority of either house votes that they want something, they have standing to sue for it. Doesn't mean they'll get it, though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-07-2020, 04:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: If a majority of either house votes that they want something, they have standing to sue for it.  Doesn't mean they'll get it, though.

You just absolutely have to hear yourself talk, don't you?

(02-07-2020, 04:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: If a majority of either house votes that they want something, they have standing to sue for it.  Doesn't mean they'll get it, though.

You just absolutely have to hear yourself talk, don't you?

Did you read the article?

(02-07-2020, 07:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You just absolutely have to hear yourself talk, don't you?

Did you read the article?

What does that have to do with you unnecessarily stating the obvious?

(02-07-2020, 07:56 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did you read the article?

BREAKING NEWS - Water is wet.

More at 11:00.

(02-07-2020, 07:56 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did you read the article?

Well I'm glad it's obvious to you that this one ruling was about standing and that the merits of what emoluments are, and who decides, are still up in the air.

I don't think it was obvious to the person who wrote the title of this thread.

(02-07-2020, 09:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:56 PM)Predator Wrote: What does that have to do with you unnecessarily stating the obvious?

Well I'm glad it's obvious to you that this one ruling was about standing and that the merits of what emoluments are, and who decides, are still up in the air.

Essentially it's getting a salary or other compensation for official actions from outside that provided by congress.  The idea of extending this to pre-existing business relationships is a level of childishness that should even shame u.

(02-07-2020, 10:22 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 09:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well I'm glad it's obvious to you that this one ruling was about standing and that the merits of what emoluments are, and who decides, are still up in the air.

Essentially it's getting a salary or other compensation for official actions from outside that provided by congress.  The idea of extending this to pre-existing business relationships is a level of childishness that should even shame u.

I think President Carter should be ashamed for a few things, but I didn't think selling his peanut farm was one of them.

(02-07-2020, 09:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:56 PM)Predator Wrote: What does that have to do with you unnecessarily stating the obvious?

I'm talking about your comment about congress being able to sue for something and not get it.

No [BLEEP] Sherlock.

(02-08-2020, 01:12 AM)Predator Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 09:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well I'm glad it's obvious to you that this one ruling was about standing and that the merits of what emoluments are, and who decides, are still up in the air.

I'm talking about your comment about congress being able to sue for something and not get it.

No [BLEEP] Sherlock.

Actually it's not obvious. The Obama administration tried to argue multiple times that a majority of the House of Representatives does not have standing to sue in court, that their lawsuit must be joined by a majority in the Senate as well. Until Obama got into office they're actually weren't that many cases like this. but the judges decided that a majority in one of the two houses is enough to have standing.

(02-08-2020, 11:49 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 01:12 AM)Predator Wrote: I'm talking about your comment about congress being able to sue for something and not get it.

No [BLEEP] Sherlock.

Actually it's not obvious. The Obama administration tried to argue multiple times that a majority of the House of Representatives does not have standing to sue in court, that their lawsuit must be joined by a majority in the Senate as well. Until Obama got into office they're actually weren't that many cases like this. but the judges decided that a majority in one of the two houses is enough to have standing.

Are you seriously that dense?

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 12:40 AM by pirkster.)

Someone can never take the L.

Keeping the proven false worldview alive, one delusion at a time.

Alternate.  "Reality."

[Image: giphy.gif]
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."