Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Incumbents

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 01:04 PM by mikesez.)

Presidents are already limited to two terms only. So they only face reelection once.
It's probably more urgent to get an idea like this implemented for Congress, where people like Nancy Pelosi end up serving for 30 or 40 years.
I think reelection should be harder than it is, for pretty much everyone.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-11-2020, 01:04 PM)mikesez Wrote: Presidents are already limited to two terms only.  So they only face reelection once.
It's probably more urgent to get an idea like this implemented for Congress, where people like Nancy Pelosi end up serving for 30 or 40 years.

When you live in districts with battered wife syndrome,  that leads to the reelection of these career politicians. The district's most of these people lead are total wrecks.

(02-11-2020, 01:04 PM)mikesez Wrote: Presidents are already limited to two terms only.  So they only face reelection once.

It would take a convention of states to amend the constitution and limit the terms of congressman.

(02-11-2020, 01:22 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

It would take a convention of states to amend the constitution and limit the terms of congressman.

...so let's get to work?
I don't think strict term limits would be wise.  They haven't helped Florida's legislature.
If someone is actually consistently doing a good job, they should not be fired just because they reached a certain tenure in office.
But they shouldn't be able to just stay in on the basis of having more name recognition than any newcomer, which is the way it is now.  They should have to run against "no", rather than "no name goober no one's ever heard of".

(02-11-2020, 07:15 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 11:34 PM)Predator Wrote: The only reason an incumbent may have an advantage is because they have already won an election. They have earned the attention. Also plenty of incumbents have been voted out.

Plus you are forcing people to make a decision on the incumbent in the middle of their term in order to allow time for campaigns and a lot could change over that time. You are limiting the time to implement their agenda. You are also forcing the incumbent to have to spend time dealing with the distraction of not just one but two elections during their term.

You are also putting the incumbents party at a disadvantage because they have to wait for the yes no election before they can start to come up with an election strategy while the other party will have a few years head start.

On top of that, you would be setting up a situation where you would have three separate elections to determine who is president.

I think the current primary and general election is enough. I think your proposal is actually kind of silly based on silly presumptions.

The incumbent could start campaigning to win the yes/no vote as soon as they win their first election.
If the incumbent wins the "yes/no" vote, there is no challenger. The incumbent gets another term, the end.
  If the incumbent loses, the incumbent goes home.  Either way he only has one election to think about, and two or four years to prepare for it.
As for us, yes, we would probably have three elections to determine who the president will be. I don't think that's a big deal, but if you think it's a big deal, the two elections we have already could become a single election with instant runoff voting, were you mark your ballot with who is your first choice, your second choice, your third choice etc.

So you are suggesting the President spend pretty much all his time in office campaigning.

If you can't see how idiotic that is then I don't know what to tell you.

(02-11-2020, 01:37 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 07:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: The incumbent could start campaigning to win the yes/no vote as soon as they win their first election.
If the incumbent wins the "yes/no" vote, there is no challenger. The incumbent gets another term, the end.
  If the incumbent loses, the incumbent goes home.  Either way he only has one election to think about, and two or four years to prepare for it.
As for us, yes, we would probably have three elections to determine who the president will be. I don't think that's a big deal, but if you think it's a big deal, the two elections we have already could become a single election with instant runoff voting, were you mark your ballot with who is your first choice, your second choice, your third choice etc.

So you are suggesting the President spend pretty much all his time in office campaigning.

To be fair, it's exactly what Obama did.

(02-11-2020, 01:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:37 PM)Predator Wrote: So you are suggesting the President spend pretty much all his time in office campaigning.

To be fair, it's exactly what Obama did.

Explains why Mikeysez likes the idea.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-11-2020, 01:37 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 07:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: The incumbent could start campaigning to win the yes/no vote as soon as they win their first election.

Donald Trump filed his campaign papers for 2020 on inauguration day 2017. 

Neither Obama nor Trump spent all their time campaigning.  But they both at least laid the groundwork right away.
That wouldn't change.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 03:15 PM by Predator.)

(02-11-2020, 02:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:37 PM)Predator Wrote: So you are suggesting the President spend pretty much all his time in office campaigning.

Donald Trump filed his campaign papers for 2020 on inauguration day 2017. 

Neither Obama nor Trump spent all their time campaigning.  But they both at least laid the groundwork right away.
That wouldn't change.

Filing paperwork is not running an active campaign.

One takes minutes the other takes months, or in your plan, years.

Trump has held rallies consistently since his election. He's been raising money since he took office. Name a President in recent times that hasn't. It's part of the job. Not sure what you guys are trying to argue here.

(02-11-2020, 03:24 PM)Last42min Wrote: Trump has held rallies consistently since his election. He's been raising money since he took office. Name a President in recent times that hasn't. It's part of the job. Not sure what you guys are trying to argue here.

Only difference is over 60,000 people ALWAYS want to see and hear Trump.

Other incumbents were lucky to get 10,000

Some things just are. Incumbency is incumbency. Romney tried to hide and just be the "no" option. Obama won re-election despite every historical tailwind blowing against him. You need a candidate with a compelling case and momentum to get voters to go against an experienced candidate even if they dont like him.

As for getting 38 states to agree on something... u start. Well wait.

(02-11-2020, 12:06 AM)copycat Wrote: 1.  I think you are still bitter over 2016.  2.  There is still an Electoral College.  3.  I think you have finally accepted that Trump will win again in 2020  4.  See point 1

[Image: giphy.gif]
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-11-2020, 01:36 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:22 PM)jj82284 Wrote: It would take a convention of states to amend the constitution and limit the terms of congressman.

...so let's get to work?
I don't think strict term limits would be wise.  They haven't helped Florida's legislature.
If someone is actually consistently doing a good job, they should not be fired just because they reached a certain tenure in office.
But they shouldn't be able to just stay in on the basis of having more name recognition than any newcomer, which is the way it is now.  They should have to run against "no", rather than "no name goober no one's ever heard of".

So President Trump should be allowed to remain in office for more than 8 years?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-11-2020, 03:52 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Some things just are.  Incumbency is incumbency.  Romney tried to hide and just be the "no" option.  Obama won re-election despite every historical tailwind blowing against him.  You need a candidate with a compelling case and momentum to get voters to go against an experienced candidate even if they dont like him.  

As for getting 38 states to agree on something...  u start.  Well wait.

Mitt Romney believes his messiah wrote his Bible from golden tablets he could only read in total darkness..

Mormons are morons.

(02-11-2020, 04:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 01:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: ...so let's get to work?

So President Trump should be allowed to remain in office for more than 8 years?

Oh gosh no.
That sentence applies only to lawmakers.
Presidents should only get two terms regardless.

(02-11-2020, 05:18 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So President Trump should be allowed to remain in office for more than 8 years?

Oh gosh no.

So why should there be a term limit on a President but not for do nothing "lawmakers"?  Look at how long some of these "representatives" have been in office.  Serving in Congress wasn't intended to be a career, yet many have made it their career and look at what they have (not)done.  Name one single signature piece of legislation proposed by someone like Nancy Pelosi (been in office since 1987) that actually became law.  What exactly has she accomplished for the American people?  What exactly has she done for her district?

Her district is pretty much a [BLEEP] hole (quite literally).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-11-2020, 05:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 05:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Oh gosh no.

So why should there be a term limit on a President but not for do nothing "lawmakers"?  Look at how long some of these "representatives" have been in office.  Serving in Congress wasn't intended to be a career, yet many have made it their career and look at what they have (not)done.  Name one single signature piece of legislation proposed by someone like Nancy Pelosi (been in office since 1987) that actually became law.  What exactly has she accomplished for the American people?  What exactly has she done for her district?

It wasn't supposed to be a year-round occupation either.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 06:47 PM by mikesez.)

(02-11-2020, 05:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 05:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Oh gosh no.

If you make it harder for her to get re-elected, make her have to run against "no", I think that would take care of it. She probably wouldn't have made it 32 years if she had to get a "yes" majority 16 times.

So you live in the land of the FREE and home of the brave and have a [BLEEP] ton of rights and privileges but that’s not good enough for you? You want to make it harder for those that have it to you to keep giving that to you solely based on their political party/hate for them? Yeah, seems like a great way to go about things.