Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trevor Lawrence Thread

College thread: I think he comes back strong and competes for another title. I have him as my early favorite to win the Heisman. Clemson might be the best team in the country and I think year 3 as the starter, he could be on a revenge tour. I don't see him staying for his senior year. I like watching Lawrence compete.

NFL Thread:I kind of wanted to split this thread into two topics because I like Lawrence's game at the college level, but I also think he's one of the best QB prospects of all time. I don't know if we'd be in a position to draft him with our natural pick position in 2021. But I expect us to be in the top 6. I think we could be in striking distance to trade up for Trevor Lawrence with our draft capital in 2021. It's definitely early but after watching the league be run by QBs I think we might have to start looking at ways to compete for championships with a transcendent talent at QB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree that there's a decent chance we are heavily in the running for Lawrence next year.

Kyle Trask is a sleeper for the Hiesman

(02-14-2020, 12:52 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: College thread: I think he comes back strong and competes for another title. I have him as my early favorite to win the Heisman. Clemson might be the best team in the country and I think year 3 as the starter, he could be on a revenge tour. I don't see him staying for his senior year. I like watching Lawrence compete.

NFL Thread:I kind of wanted to split this thread into two topics because I like Lawrence's game at the college level, but I also think he's one of the best QB prospects of all time. I don't know if we'd be in a position to draft him with our natural pick position in 2021. But I expect us to be in the top 6. I think we could be in striking distance to trade up for Trevor Lawrence with our draft capital in 2021. It's definitely early but after watching the league be run by QBs I think we might have to start looking at ways to compete for championships with a transcendent talent at QB.

I normally would agree but 2 things.  1.  We may not be drafting top 5 or 10 if Minshew has success which will negate getting Trevor.  2.  If we are drafting high, i dont think it'll be high enough or we will be willing enough to trade the capital to get him.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Bengals again, Redskins, Giants, Lions.... All possible #1 picks to go along with the Jags.

Trade 9 and 20 to get 2 2021 1sts and a few extra day 2 picks too. Give ourselves 4 1sts and a large handful of day 2 picks to make a godfather offer for Lawrence next year.

(02-14-2020, 11:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bengals again, Redskins, Giants, Lions.... All possible #1 picks to go along with the Jags.
In this scenario, I would hope that any of these teams get the first pick. I feel like they'd be willing to part with the 1st pick if they were to have recently drafted a "franchise QB"
(02-14-2020, 03:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Trade 9 and 20 to get 2 2021 1sts and a few extra day 2 picks too. Give ourselves 4 1sts and a large handful of day 2 picks to make a godfather offer for Lawrence next year.
I'm kind of hoping we trade the 20th pick and pick up a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year.

18/37, 0 passing TD's in championship game for a 65.6 QBR. Sneak Preview of what Lawrence will look like against NFL caliber defenses?

I'm not saying no, but I'm also not saying YES. Buyer beware...

(02-17-2020, 09:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 18/37, 0 passing TD's in championship game for a 65.6 QBR. Sneak Preview of what Lawrence will look like against NFL caliber defenses?

What do you think about Burrow then.  Only one great season as the starter yet he is the overall number 1 pick to alot of analyst.  Are you buying the hype or looking at his bad games against subpar teams the previous season.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-17-2020, 09:42 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 09:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 18/37, 0 passing TD's in championship game for a 65.6 QBR. Sneak Preview of what Lawrence will look like against NFL caliber defenses?

What do you think about Burrow then.  Only one great season as the starter yet he is the overall number 1 pick to alot of analyst.  Are you buying the hype or looking at his bad games against subpar teams the previous season.

I have my doubts about Burrow too, but he is a more prototypical NFL QB than Lawrence IMO. However, he will not get that type of protection or talent where he is going and will likely have a very tough couple of years in Cincy.

I am not implying their NFL potential should be evaluated solely on their collegiate situation, but at this point I feel Lawrence is more hype than substance.

Welp good thing we have a full season to keep watching. The proof will be in the pudding then.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020, 12:02 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Its gonna be Florida and Clemson in the National Championship. I haven't felt this way about Florida in a long time

(02-19-2020, 12:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Its gonna be Florida and Clemson in the National Championship.  I haven't felt this way about Florida in a long time

I feel good about Florida's chances as well. Bama finally coming down from their stranglehold of the SEC. LSU lost its QB (And Joe Brady). Georgia lost a bunch of their offensive guys. Florida only lost to GA and LSU last season and both were close games.

I'm not punching Clemson's ticket to the game though (although winning the ACC and getting to the playoff is almost a given). I think OSU will have a solid shot at it.

OT: Trevor Lawrence has had a pretty good collegiate career so far. But I'm not interested in Tanking for Trevor (nor do I think we'll be bad enough to even be sniffing the #1 overall pick). I'm not interested in trading a boatload of picks for one QB (even if we didn't have the promising Minshew rostered). I think we probably have a .500 type season and should stay focused on building a really good team around a 6th round rookies QB contract while we have him cheap. No matter what kind of season Trevor has, I don't think he's a franchise changing 15 year QB. And I'm beginning to think most of the QBs that come out are usually more hype than substance. Even the really really good ones.

A few of the best QBs in recent years have actually been guys with less hype. Mahomes I barely heard about leading into that draft, all the hype was on Watson (perhaps deservedly) though Reid did his homework and took him in the first... Wilson was a 3rd round pick... Dak was a 4th rounder...  Don't buy the hype. Buy the player and build a team around him instead of banking on some magical rookie to carry your team.

(02-19-2020, 11:01 AM)Kane Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 12:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Its gonna be Florida and Clemson in the National Championship.  I haven't felt this way about Florida in a long time

I feel good about Florida's chances as well. Bama finally coming down from their stranglehold of the SEC. LSU lost its QB (And Joe Brady). Georgia lost a bunch of their offensive guys. Florida only lost to GA and LSU last season and both were close games.

I'm not punching Clemson's ticket to the game though (although winning the ACC and getting to the playoff is almost a given). I think OSU will have a solid shot at it.

OT: Trevor Lawrence has had a pretty good collegiate career so far. But I'm not interested in Tanking for Trevor (nor do I think we'll be bad enough to even be sniffing the #1 overall pick). I'm not interested in trading a boatload of picks for one QB (even if we didn't have the promising Minshew rostered). I think we probably have a .500 type season and should stay focused on building a really good team around a 6th round rookies QB contract while we have him cheap. No matter what kind of season Trevor has, I don't think he's a franchise changing 15 year QB. And I'm beginning to think most of the QBs that come out are usually more hype than substance. Even the really really good ones.

A few of the best QBs in recent years have actually been guys with less hype. Mahomes I barely heard about leading into that draft, all the hype was on Watson (perhaps deservedly) though Reid did his homework and took him in the first... Wilson was a 3rd round pick... Dak was a 4th rounder...  Don't buy the hype. Buy the player and build a team around him instead of banking on some magical rookie to carry your team.

Then there’s Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford and even Michael Vick. And then there’s Jamarcus Russell,  Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, and Baker Mayfield. The draft is a crapshoot. No one knew Mahomes coming out of the draft, and it worked out. Just like no one (Or most) thought Bortles would be the 3rd overall pick, and it didn’t work out. I guess I just think that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are franchise changers. I can see how you can be on the opposite side of that fence

(02-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Black and Teal Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 11:01 AM)Kane Wrote: I feel good about Florida's chances as well. Bama finally coming down from their stranglehold of the SEC. LSU lost its QB (And Joe Brady). Georgia lost a bunch of their offensive guys. Florida only lost to GA and LSU last season and both were close games.

Then there’s Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford and even Michael Vick. And then there’s Jamarcus Russell,  Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, and Baker Mayfield. The draft is a crapshoot. No one knew Mahomes coming out of the draft, and it worked out. Just like no one (Or most) thought Bortles would be the 3rd overall pick, and it didn’t work out. I guess I just think that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are franchise changers. I can see how you can be on the opposite side of that fence

Newton, Luck, Stafford, and Vick: None of them really changed the franchises fortunes that much. I mean the clots were perennial playoff team with Manning, and sucked for Luck, which got them into consistent playoffs but a .500 record in them and no rings. Stafford dug the Lions out of perennial top 5 draft selections but has had along average career. Vick was electric but certainly wasn't a long term franchise QB, imo. Newton probably had the biggest effect for his team but his health issues really leaves his effectiveness and future in doubt beyond a 10th season.

Yeah the draft is a crapshoot, with QBs often being the biggest risks.
My point is... it's better to build a solid team through draft and develop and allow a QB to be a part of it, as opposed to thinking that some #1 overall QB is going to change your franchise long term. If you build the right roster you can win a SB with a QB that wasn't the "suck for luck, tank for tua, tank for trevor" QB coming into that draft. Sometimes that QB can be a late first rounder, a mid rounder, or a late rounder.

(02-26-2020, 01:30 PM)Kane Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Then there’s Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford and even Michael Vick. And then there’s Jamarcus Russell,  Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, and Baker Mayfield. The draft is a crapshoot. No one knew Mahomes coming out of the draft, and it worked out. Just like no one (Or most) thought Bortles would be the 3rd overall pick, and it didn’t work out. I guess I just think that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are franchise changers. I can see how you can be on the opposite side of that fence

Newton, Luck, Stafford, and Vick: None of them really changed the franchises fortunes that much. I mean the clots were perennial playoff team with Manning, and sucked for Luck, which got them into consistent playoffs but a .500 record in them and no rings. Stafford dug the Lions out of perennial top 5 draft selections but has had along average career. Vick was electric but certainly wasn't a long term franchise QB, imo. Newton probably had the biggest effect for his team but his health issues really leaves his effectiveness and future in doubt beyond a 10th season.

Yeah the draft is a crapshoot, with QBs often being the biggest risks.
My point is... it's better to build a solid team through draft and develop and allow a QB to be a part of it, as opposed to thinking that some #1 overall QB is going to change your franchise long term. If you build the right roster you can win a SB with a QB that wasn't the "suck for luck, tank for tua, tank for trevor" QB coming into that draft. Sometimes that QB can be a late first rounder, a mid rounder, or a late rounder.

Since this post, we’ve traded two pro bowl players in Calais Campbell and AJ Bouye. This lack of talent we have on the roster puts us on the list of potential team with “1st pick potential”

The Rams are a complete mess right now. How funny would it be if the Rams are the reason we get the number 1 pick.

Best case scenario we get the no1 pick for Lawrence, then get another high pick and get someone like Penei Sewell.

If the rumors are true, Philly was offering their 2021 1st pick for Ngakoue, which would give us three 1st to use as ammo for a possible trade up.

(03-20-2020, 09:00 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: The Rams are a complete mess right now. How funny would it be if the Rams are the reason we get the number 1 pick.

Best case scenario we get the no1 pick for Lawrence, then get another high pick and get someone like Penei Sewell.

If the rumors are true, Philly was offering their 2021 1st pick for Ngakoue, which would give us three 1st to use as ammo for a possible trade up.

I'd rather have their first this year. At the least, they should offer a 2nd or 3rd this year plus a 1st next year. I'd also be ok with Goedert plus a 2nd rounder.

Yes, we have the best chance at being the worst team, and possibly getting the 1st overall pick. The real question is, what can the Jags do with Trevor Lawrence. Bro, do we even develop?