Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who will be gone before we pick?

Our draft plans probably hinge (at least in the first few rounds) on who is picked before we have our selection at number nine.

If a load of defensive players go, for instance, we might be better off going OT early.
If one or two OTs go before us, we might get a prized defensive piece early on and look at offense later.

But predicting those first eight picks isn't easy.

I think we can safely say Burrow, Young and Tagovailoa will be gone before we pick.

Okudah, Brown and Herbert are also being mocked to be taken too, but they're less certain.

And the other two selections could be anyone.  

We could see one of the receivers in that group, and there's a good chance an OT will also be in the mix. And there is usually someone who rises up the board - perhaps Kinlaw.

Who do you see going in the top eight?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-14-2020, 06:37 AM)Andy G Wrote: Our draft plans probably hinge (at least in the first few rounds) on who is picked before we have our selection at number nine.

If a load of defensive players go, for instance, we might be better off going OT early.
If one or two OTs go before us, we might get a prized defensive piece early on and look at offense later.

But predicting those first eight picks isn't easy.

I think we can safely say Burrow, Young and Tagovailoa will be gone before we pick.

Okudah, Brown and Herbert are also being mocked to be taken too, but they're less certain.

And the other two selections could be anyone.  

We could see one of the receivers in that group, and there's a good chance an OT will also be in the mix. And there is usually someone who rises up the board - perhaps Kinlaw.

Who do you see going in the top eight?

I'd say the only locks right now are Burrow and Young. The rest of them, there is at least a chance they will somehow drop to our pick just like Allen did last year. Nobody was expecting him to be there.

But, if I had to guess, I think 3 QBs will go early, plus Okudah, Brown and Wills. That would leave Simmons, Jeudy, Lamb, Kinlaw, Thomas, Wirfs as realistic targets at 9 I guess.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2020, 08:14 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think Burrow, Young, Tua, Herbert, and Okudah all go before us. The other 3 is a little more tricky. I hope it's not Simmons, Brown, and Kinlaw. If that happen I hope we take who we feel is the best olineman in the draft

Biggest fear is that Simmons is the top of the board at 9, as both Brown and Kinlaw go in the top 8

I don't see him as a fit in our D, but I imagine the FO will tout the value of the pick being too good to pass up.

I realize this is not a popular opinion, just chalk it up to a hunch. Best case in this scenario is Herbert also falls, and we can trade back with someone like TB, get an extra pick this year or next, and grab someone like Josh Jones or Thomas (if he falls) or one of Lamb/Jeudy in the teens.

(02-14-2020, 11:49 AM)Mikey Wrote: Biggest fear is that Simmons is the top of the board at 9, as both Brown and Kinlaw go in the top 8

I don't see him as a fit in our D, but I imagine the FO will tout the value of the pick being too good to pass up.

I realize this is not a popular opinion, just chalk it up to a hunch. Best case in this scenario is Herbert also falls, and we can trade back with someone like TB, get an extra pick this year or next, and grab someone like Josh Jones or Thomas (if he falls) or one of Lamb/Jeudy in the teens.

I absolutely love this hypothetical.

The more I'm reading, the more I think Becton may be gone before the Jags pick.

The way he flies about the place makes me think more Troy Polamalu than middle linebacker.

Maybe we are seeing this the wrong way around and should think of him primarily as a strong safety who can drop in to the linebacker spots at times?

Although I realise the position is changing all the time and that agility and speed are becoming more and more important to linebackers with all these mobile quarterbacks.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2020...-and-draft

A fairly interesting read. The more of these articles I read, the more convinced I become that it's very unlikely we fix the roster in one off season. We need an OL starter, a TE starter, a DL starter, an LB starter, and a secondary starter. A good case can also be made for needing another starting WR. I think it's a tall ask to get 6 quality starters this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(02-14-2020, 12:59 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 11:49 AM)Mikey Wrote: Biggest fear is that Simmons is the top of the board at 9, as both Brown and Kinlaw go in the top 8

I absolutely love this hypothetical.

I can't say I agree about Simmons. The guy is a freak and would make the defense much better wherever they play him. If you can get a guy like him who most consider at top 5 player in this draft at number 9 you run to the podium. This would be like last year when Josh Allen fell to them. 

Regarding someone wanting to trade up if Herbert is still available, now that would be very tempting. Getting an extra 2nd this year and another high pick next year would be difficult to pass up- especially with the opportunity to possibly land Trevor Lawrence in case Minshew disappoints.

Offense: Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills
Defense: Chase Young, Jeffrey Okudah, Isiah Simmons, Derrick Brown
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-15-2020, 12:40 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I can't say I agree about Simmons. The guy is a freak and would make the defense much better wherever they play him. If you can get a guy like him who most consider at top 5 player in this draft at number 9 you run to the podium. This would be like last year when Josh Allen fell to them. 

Regarding someone wanting to trade up if Herbert is still available, now that would be very tempting. Getting an extra 2nd this year and another high pick next year would be difficult to pass up- especially with the opportunity to possibly land Trevor Lawrence in case Minshew disappoints.

Everything you stated is why I acknowledged my opinion wasn't popular.  I just see that we have built a lot of our D around guys who are lighter in the pants and rely on quickness or anticipation to be their strength, all while getting steamrolled by power runners and TE.

If we didn't have Jack signed long-term or spent a 3rd on Williams last year, I'd be a whole lot more open to Simmons.

I just don't want to burn a pick on a tweener, especially if we have no idea how to use him.

(02-17-2020, 11:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 12:40 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I can't say I agree about Simmons. The guy is a freak and would make the defense much better wherever they play him. If you can get a guy like him who most consider at top 5 player in this draft at number 9 you run to the podium. This would be like last year when Josh Allen fell to them. 

Everything you stated is why I acknowledged my opinion wasn't popular.  I just see that we have built a lot of our D around guys who are lighter in the pants and rely on quickness or anticipation to be their strength, all while getting steamrolled by power runners and TE.

If we didn't have Jack signed long-term or spent a 3rd on Williams last year, I'd be a whole lot more open to Simmons.

I just don't want to burn a pick on a tweener, especially if we have no idea how to use him.

You certainly could be right. A big part of me is hoping the Jags 1st pick is one of the elite linemen- Brown or Kinlaw on defense and Thomas on offense.

(02-17-2020, 11:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:

He wouldn't be that light for a WLB though and would be like 10 or 15 pounds heavier than Telvin and Jack could move back out to Sam for base and just stay in as MLB on passing downs.  We could still draft Simmons and add a guy like Evan Weaver to play MLB

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020, 10:27 AM by Andy G.)

Good point flgatorandjags.

It’s all in another thread, but if we pick Simmons, why do we assume it has to be to play MLB?

I think the biggest mystery here is the OTs

At this stage it’s far from clear who is the best player, or even if they will all play OT in the NFL.

(02-18-2020, 08:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 11:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Everything you stated is why I acknowledged my opinion wasn't popular.  I just see that we have built a lot of our D around guys who are lighter in the pants and rely on quickness or anticipation to be their strength, all while getting steamrolled by power runners and TE.

He wouldn't be that light for a WLB though and would be like 10 or 15 pounds heavier than Telvin and Jack could move back out to Sam for base and just stay in as MLB on passing downs.  We could still draft Simmons and add a guy like Evan Weaver to play MLB

2 picks on LB after signing one long-term and drafting another last year might JUST be enough to get Dave fired. 
....or is that your plan?   Ninja

(02-18-2020, 10:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 08:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He wouldn't be that light for a WLB though and would be like 10 or 15 pounds heavier than Telvin and Jack could move back out to Sam for base and just stay in as MLB on passing downs.  We could still draft Simmons and add a guy like Evan Weaver to play MLB

2 picks on LB after signing one long-term and drafting another last year might JUST be enough to get Dave fired. 
....or is that your plan?   Ninja

The one you signed long term would play pretty much every down like he did in 17 and if it would make LB a strength of this team why not?  Every LB position would be upgraded and we would have good depth.  LB was our weakest position groups imo last year.  We would still need to sign or draft a NT though

Becton seems to be getting more attention this week. Wonder if he will be the OT to go first?

Alexa: A total of eight college nfl prospects will be drafted before the Jacksonville Jaguars make their selection in the 2020 nfl draft barring any trade by the Jagusrs.

After what we’ve seen these last few days, are Wirfs, Becton and Simmons in that top-eight group?

Anyone else? Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs all looked good (although seems hard to believe more than one will go in the top eight).

(03-01-2020, 06:30 PM)Andy G Wrote: After what we’ve seen these last few days, are Wirfs, Becton and Simmons in that top-eight group?

Anyone else?  Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs all looked good (although seems hard to believe more than one will go in the top eight).

Certain to be gone:
Burrow
Young

Most likely to be gone:
Okudah
Tua
Herbert

Might be gone:
Simmons
Becton / Wirfs
Brown

That would leave us in an interesting position at the draft. Would we go Kinlaw? Maybe an OT? Lamb/Ruggs/Jeudy?