Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Simmons as MLB?

(03-04-2020, 08:10 PM)ATLjag Wrote: What about putting him at the SAM role, but don't rotate in a nickel CB, to keep him on the field.....

I nearly posted this idea yesterday.  

Just put Hayden out there on obvious 3rd down passing situations, otherwise use Simmons as your big nickel or SAM alternately. 

The other option to keep him out there is to use him as a box SS at times, but this would require a FS that you can really trust in single high. Don't think we have that on the roster right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2020, 11:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 08:10 PM)ATLjag Wrote: What about putting him at the SAM role, but don't rotate in a nickel CB, to keep him on the field.....

Just put Hayden out there on obvious 3rd down passing situations, otherwise use Simmons as your big nickel or SAM alternately. 

The other option to keep him out there is to use him as a box SS at times, but this would require a FS that you can really trust in single high. Don't think we have that on the roster right now.

If our coaches have to work this hard to find a place for him within the scheme I worry about it being a wasted pick (at least for this season).
I'd rather get a guy you know plays position x and will play there all year and be a stud at it (Brown/Kinlaw at DT, Wirfs at G, Okudah at CB, etc.)
I have no doubt Simmons is talented. And perhaps with a new coach staff ready to completely rebuild and restructure the D he'd be a great chess piece to acquire.... But this whole idea of "oh he can play MIKE some downs, SAM some, maybe move him to SS or big nickel...." Seems like teams could possibly figure out a way to get someone out of position in a hurry up offense and tear us up.

(03-05-2020, 11:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

No we don't.

I'm hoping that the rumor of the Seahawks offering their first + swapping our 2nd with theirs for Yan actually goes through - so we can hopefully draft Grant Delpit in the late 1st round.

(03-05-2020, 11:50 AM)enigma Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I nearly posted this idea yesterday.  

No we don't.

I'm hoping that the rumor of the Seahawks offering their first + swapping our 2nd with theirs for Yan actually goes through - so we can hopefully draft Grant Delpit in the late 1st round.

The rumor is that they give their first and we give up our second. 
Not "swap" seconds. 

I think that's a nonstarter.

(03-05-2020, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:50 AM)enigma Wrote: No we don't.

The rumor is that they give their first and we give up our second. 
Not "swap" seconds. 

I think that's a nonstarter.

Well if that's the case, then I am not for pursuing such a trade.

There will be excellent talent and value left in the 2nd round for us to capitalize in this draft.

Nah we won a meaningless game at the end of the season and we will miss out on Simmons. Ofc our idiot fan base were cheering about it. Yall are hopeless.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(03-16-2020, 09:12 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Nah we won a meaningless game at the end of the season and we will miss out on Simmons. Ofc our idiot fan base were cheering about it. Yall are hopeless.

I will never cheer to lose and players will never play to lose. They have too much on the line to do that.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-16-2020, 10:40 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 09:12 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Nah we won a meaningless game at the end of the season and we will miss out on Simmons. Ofc our idiot fan base were cheering about it. Yall are hopeless.

I will never cheer to lose and players will never play to lose. They have too much on the line to do that.

I will. The moment my team is out of the playoffs, I want all the starters benched (no coach would ever do that, however). I want to see what the backups can do for next season. I want to maximize the chances of going to the playoffs next season, and losing non-essential games is a good start.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Welp.

Simmons seems like one of the least likely picks for the Jags after the Schobert signing.
If they draft him, we'd have to scheme up one hell of a hybridized back seven. (I'd be kind-of stoked to try that actually)

Still not impossible, but definitely a lot less likely at this point.

(03-18-2020, 11:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Welp.

Simmons seems like one of the least likely picks for the Jags after the Schobert signing.
If they draft him, we'd have to scheme up one hell of a hybridized back seven. (I'd be kind-of stoked to try that actually)

While it may be less likely for us to choose him, I think if he is somehow sitting there at #9 - and Brown, Okudah, and Wirfs are gone - we would have to select Simmons.

The guy seems to be a can't-miss prospect who can fit in any scheme and make it instantly better.

(03-18-2020, 11:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Welp.

Still possible to draft him and play him at safety.
Though seems redundant with Harrison... but I suppose still a possibility.

Maybe Harrison can play FS and Simmons at SS? There was talk last year that Harrison and Wilson would be interchangeable at FS/SS though I'm not sure how much of that came to fruition.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 01:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I dont think the addition of Schobert changes anything. If Simmoms is the highest person on Dave's board when we pick I think he will take him

Simmons-Schobert-Jack would be a much improved LB corps

(03-18-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think the addition of Schobert changes anything.  

Well, it does.  It makes LB less of a need.  So if there's a CB at nine that Dave rates similarly to Simmons...

... easy choice to pick the corner.

(03-18-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think the addition of Schobert changes anything.  If Simmoms is the highest person on Dave's board when we pick I think he will take him

So who comes off in nickel? 
Jack?

I think it's rather moot, as I see Simmons being drafted before 9 but even still.. Brown or Kinlaw or Okudah (or Wirfs even) represent much larger needs and there is no way that Simmons is rated that much higher (if at all) than any of those guys, I think.

Absolutely gotta shore up that interior DL or CB (especially now that Campbell and Dareus are gone along with Bouye and Ramsey)

I think Simmons was the least likely top tier guy to fall to us anyway, but if he did I would still take him without hesitation. He can still play a ton for us at SAM, EDGE, safety, and slot corner.

And we still have no clue if Jack is actually any good at WILL either so it's not like we have two LB slots completely locked down.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-18-2020, 01:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think the addition of Schobert changes anything.  

Well, it does.  It makes LB less of a need.  So if there's a CB at nine that Dave rates similarly to Simmons...

You're a needs. Judging by the last few drafts Dave is a BPA drafter in the early rounds now. Unless he has them rated about the same I want the highest player on the board and I'm sure Dave feels the same

(03-18-2020, 03:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think the addition of Schobert changes anything.  If Simmoms is the highest person on Dave's board when we pick I think he will take him

So who comes off in nickel? 
Jack?

I think it's rather moot, as I see Simmons being drafted before 9 but even still.. Brown or Kinlaw or Okudah (or Wirfs even) represent much larger needs and there is no way that Simmons is rated that much higher (if at all) than any of those guys, I think.

Absolutely gotta shore up that interior DL or CB (especially now that Campbell and Dareus are gone along with Bouye and Ramsey)

It probably all depends on who is the weakest link at the time.  Will need to see how they are all playing. It could be one of the safties

(03-18-2020, 04:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 01:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, it does.  It makes LB less of a need.  So if there's a CB at nine that Dave rates similarly to Simmons...

You're a needs. Judging by the last few drafts Dave is a BPA drafter in the early rounds now.  Unless he has them rated about the same I want the highest player on the board and I'm sure Dave feels the same

LOL

You think you have Dave Caldwell all figured out based on what happened under Coughlin? 

OK.  Good luck with that.

How much you wanna bet he drafts a CB before the 3rd round?  
You know, because we NEED one. I see you backpedaling to my side there too with the "unless they are rated about the same" which is what I've explained to you 8000 [BLEEP] times now. LOL

(03-18-2020, 08:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 04:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You're a needs. Judging by the last few drafts Dave is a BPA drafter in the early rounds now.  Unless he has them rated about the same I want the highest player on the board and I'm sure Dave feels the same

LOL

You think you have Dave Caldwell all figured out based on what happened under Coughlin? 

You know, because we NEED one. I see you backpedaling to my side there too with the "unless they are rated about the same" which is what I've explained to you 8000 [BLEEP] times now. LOL

If they are rated the same why wouldn't you take the bigger need at a more important position?  That has been said numerous times by people that understand the need vs BPA arguement

There is also a good chance corner will be BPA before the 3rd. If Henderson is there at 20 a good chance we take him depending on who else is available

(03-18-2020, 08:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 08:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

If they are rated the same why wouldn't you take the bigger need at a more important position?  That has been said numerous times by people that understand the need vs BPA arguement

Make up your mind, bro. 

Are they rated "the same" or "about the same?" 

Big, big difference to this argument.

As tired as I am of explaining this to you Easter Bunny-believing-in BAP cultists, GMs league wide routinely choose that player that is rated "about the same" but technically lower rated  -- because they NEED that guy more than the slightly higher rated player. 

It happens ALL THE TIME in the early rounds and I have complete confidence Dave Caldwell will do this again with a few picks if the top rated player on the board represents redundancy on his roster.