Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Simmons as MLB?

Could Isaiah Simmons play Mike? To draft him at #9 would seem to be a waste if he's not on the field most of the time. Also, as others have stated, Wash would not creatively use him. Wash likes to eat bologne without any condiments and fixings, just like Marrone. 

I'm not a fan of drafting versatile jack-of-all positions players high. They're great athletes, but seldom do coordinators use them to their potential and seldom are they elite at any one position. Look at Jabrill Peppers; look at Myles Jack. The only exception has been Honey Badger, but he was drafted in the third round.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's a playmaker who's got more range than just about any other MLB in the game, or he can move back to SS and shift Harrison over to FS permanently. Or a SS on first and second down who moves to MLB on third. Or a rover who basically freelances and/or shadows guys like Mahomes, Jackson and Watson to keep them in the pocket.

Or, in true Todd Wash fashion, a guy who plows headfirst into the OL 9 out of 10 plays.

Had they hired Wade Phillips this off season I would have been fine with this idea. Since they're retaining Todd Wash. I agree with TJBender. Simmons talents will be underutilized here. Hopefully Myles Jack puts in the work film study wise this off season and Quincy Williams comes back from his injury filled rookie season ready to go.

Simmons would be a good fit at Safety or OLB here as a rookie though. And I would pick one position and one position only for him to grow into and study at the NFL level as a rookie. If they find someone more competent in 2021 to coach this defense then maybe we can revisit the idea of moving him inside. Would like to see this team transition to a 3 - 4 someday.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-14-2020, 12:04 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Could Isaiah Simmons play Mike? To draft him at #9 would seem to be a waste if he's not on the field most of the time. Also, as others have stated, Wash would not creatively use him. Wash likes to eat bologne without any condiments and fixings, just like Marrone. 

I'm not a fan of drafting versatile jack-of-all positions players high. They're great athletes, but seldom do coordinators use them to their potential and seldom are they elite at any one position. Look at Jabrill Peppers; look at Myles Jack. The only exception has been Honey Badger, but he was drafted in the third round.

Derwin, Jamal Adams etc etc Peppers just isn't good

(02-14-2020, 12:04 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Could Isaiah Simmons play Mike? To draft him at #9 would seem to be a waste if he's not on the field most of the time. Also, as others have stated, Wash would not creatively use him. Wash likes to eat bologne without any condiments and fixings, just like Marrone. 

Playing him at WLB he would be on the field most of the time

(02-14-2020, 07:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Playing him at WLB he would be on the field most of the time

We have a WLB. His name is Myles Jack. Not his fault Wash is an idiot.

From what I’ve seen of him, he seems to play more like a Troy Polamalu, a wrecking ball of a strong safety.

I’m sure he can play at LB too, but maybe his main position is SS and we need to re-set our expectations a bit?

(02-15-2020, 08:12 AM)Andy G Wrote: From what I’ve seen of him, he seems to play more like a Troy Polamalu, a wrecking ball of a strong safety.

I’m sure he can play at LB too, but maybe his main position is SS and we need to re-set our expectations a bit?

Simmons is 6'4 230, Troy was 5'10 207.  Troy also ran a 4.33 40, Simmons is fast but I doubt he doubt will be that fast.  Polamalu played and moved around the line of scrimmage alot but he also excelled playing deep in pass plays.  Can Simmons excell playing deep at the safety spot in the NFL?  Pit also had Dick LeBeau, something we will never have.  If we draft Simmons I'd much rather him play LB as the middle of the field is where he is best.  As he gets more experience at his LB spot is when I would start moving him around a bit

(02-15-2020, 09:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 08:12 AM)Andy G Wrote: From what I’ve seen of him, he seems to play more like a Troy Polamalu, a wrecking ball of a strong safety.

Simmons is 6'4 230, Troy was 5'10 207.  Troy also ran a 4.33 40, Simmons is fast but I doubt he doubt will be that fast.  Polamalu played and moved around the line of scrimmage alot but he also excelled playing deep in pass plays.  Can Simmons excell playing deep at the safety spot in the NFL?  Pit also had Dick LeBeau, something we will never have.  If we draft Simmons I'd much rather him play LB as the middle of the field is where he is best.  As he gets more experience at his LB spot is when I would start moving him around a bit

I can’t check right now, but I’m pretty sure Simmons runs sub-4.4 at 230 lbs

(02-15-2020, 02:54 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Playing him at WLB he would be on the field most of the time

And Quincy Williams, and Telvin Smith...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2020, 02:54 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Playing him at WLB he would be on the field most of the time

I don't think he's an idiot for playing him at Mike the last two seasons. 

His best season in the NFL came at mike in 2017, so he was naturally gonna play there 2018. Then he sucked in 2018 but who else did they have to play mike this past season? Ryan wasn't healthy, Quincy was a rook

I've seen at least two draft analysts call him an inside linebacker.

For anybody who questions Simmons' speed... Here's him running side by side with Clemson RB Travis Etienne and Etienne can flat out FLY...

Simmons easily has 20++ pounds on him as well.

https://twitter.com/swaggy_t1/status/112...7801930752

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 07:16 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-15-2020, 06:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: For anybody who questions Simmons' speed... Here's him running side by side with Clemson RB Travis Etienne and Etienne can flat out FLY...

You think he will run a 4.33 or better?

I've stated before and I'll say it again, I think he runs similar to what Telvin did.

(02-15-2020, 04:54 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 02:54 AM)TJBender Wrote: We have a WLB. His name is Myles Jack. Not his fault Wash is an idiot.

I don't think he's an idiot for playing him at Mike the last two seasons. 

His best season in the NFL came at mike in 2017, so he was naturally gonna play there 2018. Then he sucked in 2018 but who else did they have to play mike this past season? Ryan wasn't healthy, Quincy was a rook
He played OLB alot in 2017, which was his best season and when he was at his best

(02-15-2020, 02:33 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 09:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Simmons is 6'4 230, Troy was 5'10 207.  Troy also ran a 4.33 40, Simmons is fast but I doubt he doubt will be that fast.  Polamalu played and moved around the line of scrimmage alot but he also excelled playing deep in pass plays.  Can Simmons excell playing deep at the safety spot in the NFL?  Pit also had Dick LeBeau, something we will never have.  If we draft Simmons I'd much rather him play LB as the middle of the field is where he is best.  As he gets more experience at his LB spot is when I would start moving him around a bit

Troy ran a 4.33

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 07:19 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-15-2020, 02:33 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 09:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Simmons is 6'4 230, Troy was 5'10 207.  Troy also ran a 4.33 40, Simmons is fast but I doubt he doubt will be that fast.  Polamalu played and moved around the line of scrimmage alot but he also excelled playing deep in pass plays.  Can Simmons excell playing deep at the safety spot in the NFL?  Pit also had Dick LeBeau, something we will never have.  If we draft Simmons I'd much rather him play LB as the middle of the field is where he is best.  As he gets more experience at his LB spot is when I would start moving him around a bit

What are you gonna check?  The combine is in a couple weeks.  I say he runs a low to mid 4.4

I've mentioned him at MLB as well, I'm curious to see what weight he comes in at the combine.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2020, 07:30 PM by JackCity.)

(02-15-2020, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 06:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: For anybody who questions Simmons' speed... Here's him running side by side with Clemson RB Travis Etienne and Etienne can flat out FLY...

I've stated before and I'll say it again, I think he runs similar to what Telvin did.

(02-15-2020, 04:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think he's an idiot for playing him at Mike the last two seasons. 

He played OLB alot in 2017, which was his best season and when he was at his best

(02-15-2020, 02:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: I can’t check right now, but I’m pretty sure Simmons runs sub-4.4 at 230 lbs
Troy ran a 4.33

He was mike more than he played outside though, as we have discussed. And his coverage was the strongest part of his game that year, which was also done mostly on passing downs

Fwiw, I'd happily play Simmons at mike

(02-15-2020, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

So you think this guy is going to run a 4.53 as well??? Because that's what Telvin ran...

https://twitter.com/jreidnfl/status/1005209526793134080

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/12...9919775744

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/11...4117328899

Underestimating Telvins speed

https://youtu.be/pA2SBj10wOI

(02-15-2020, 07:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You think he will run a 4.33 or better?

So you think this guy is going to run a 4.53 as well??? Because that's what Telvin ran...

https://twitter.com/jreidnfl/status/1005209526793134080

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/12...9919775744

https://twitter.com/accnetwork/status/11...4117328899
What 40 do you think Simmons will run?Shaquem Griffin set the all time fastest 40 for a LB with a 4.38.  You think Simmons beats the fastest time for a LB at the combine?