Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(02-24-2020, 04:58 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 08:55 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Pre-market is down over 700 points.  Gold is up $33.  
Silver might be the best investment now, not least because of its unique antiviral properties.  
I use a nano-silver solution (10 PPM) whenever I feel a cold coming on (usually after a sneeze).  1 tsp held under the tongue for 30 seconds, then swallowed.  It has kept me flu-free for 5 or 6 years.

Silver will kill bacteria, but viruses, eh not so much. I don’t think it’s heavy metal poisoning that’s keeping you flu free. I would call that luck.

Maybe the researchers were lucky too!

In Vitro Antiviral Effect of "Nanosilver" on Influenza Virus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm biding my time and waiting for the right moment to convert more of my bonds over into stocks. I switched my 401k contributions from 75% stocks/25% bonds to 90% stocks/10% bonds last week. Obviously I didn't see this coming, but I'm still kicking myself over not dumping everything into stocks after the bottom fell out in 2008, and with 25-ish years left for my portfolio to recover before retirement, I'll gladly risk an immediate hit in exchange for being there when the market correction pulls back up.

FWIW, I still think the stock market is a terrible way to judge an economy, but I'm an opportunist and will take any chance I can get at an advantage. That goes doubly so after a divorce resulted in my biggest tax return in a decade, and I've now got money to reinvest, possibly into Apple and not in the way you think.

(02-25-2020, 10:11 AM)TJBender Wrote: I'm biding my time and waiting for the right moment to convert more of my bonds over into stocks. I switched my 401k contributions from 75% stocks/25% bonds to 90% stocks/10% bonds last week. Obviously I didn't see this coming, but I'm still kicking myself over not dumping everything into stocks after the bottom fell out in 2008, and with 25-ish years left for my portfolio to recover before retirement, I'll gladly risk an immediate hit in exchange for being there when the market correction pulls back up.

FWIW, I still think the stock market is a terrible way to judge an economy, but I'm an opportunist and will take any chance I can get at an advantage. That goes doubly so after a divorce resulted in my biggest tax return in a decade, and I've now got money to reinvest, possibly into Apple and not in the way you think.

Ultimately, I think the Dow will get up to 30,000 and Nasdaq will hit 10,000.  It may take a while but once the Caronavirus is contained, people won't be able to stay away from investing as it's become addictive to those who have pushed the market to get to where we are now.

I've already been hit as a consumer by a simple prebiotic I have ordered on Amazon for years with no problem. I went to reorder yesterday and they are "currently unavailable" and are not sure if it will be back in stock. I looked on the bag I still have and sure enough....Made in China. I've found an alternative that is made in Belgium that I hope is as effective. 

I think the consumer side of it is what concerns me more than me getting the virus. My small town hasn't seen empty shelves yet, except you can't find those N-95 masks anywhere now. I know in Charlotte and Raleigh there are signs of people realizing they should probably get serious about having provisions at home in case they have to self-isolate or worse. 

We are always prepared to a degree, but with limited space to stock food and water and such, we are not prepared to comfortably 'bug in' for longer than a couple of weeks at this point. After that we're going to suffer a bit but we won't die. This weekend we're going to rearrange some stuff so we can stock up on more essentials. I'm not one who freaks out about stuff like this but the current state of things has me concerned. This time of year we start thinking about checking our preps for hurricane season anyway so this will just be reinforcements for that as well.

And colloidal silver is not a bad tool to have in your medicine/first aid toolbox. Elderberry syrup as well. I'm sure there are several reasons why I haven't had the flu in many, many years (and I do not get the flu shot) and some of my homeopathic remedies are probably why. Different strokes for different folks.

(un)surprisingly enough, the CDC and the WH aren't on the same page.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Talked to a family member they works at the VA they told me they’re actively preparing for covid19 treatment and quarantine state side they seem to also think it’s inevitable it’ll show up here at some point
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(02-26-2020, 01:04 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Talked to a family member they works at the VA they told me they’re actively preparing for covid19 treatment and quarantine state side they seem to also think it’s inevitable it’ll show up here at some point

It's already here...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2020, 03:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Don't worry, everything will be just fine.

[Image: b2ap3_amp_face-masks-korean-wedding.jpg]

I saw on the news last night that 82% of the cases are mild.

Also, remember, these viruses tend to diminish with warmer weather.

And, those masks you buy at CVS will not protect you at all. They're useful for people who are already sick and want to avoid getting other people sick, but if you aren't sick, they're of no use.

We know a couple who are pretty comical about this kind of thing. Right after 9-11, we went over to their house and they greeted us at the door brandishing guns and sporting WW1 vintage gas masks they had acquired at the local Army surplus store. I'm sure they're shopping for hazmat suits right now.

(02-26-2020, 03:42 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I saw on the news last night that 82% of the cases are mild.  

Also, remember, these viruses tend to diminish with warmer weather.  

And, those masks you buy at CVS will not protect you at all.  They're useful for people who are already sick and want to avoid getting other people sick, but if you aren't sick, they're of no use.  

We know a couple who are pretty comical about this kind of thing.  Right after 9-11, we went over to their house and they greeted us at the door brandishing guns and sporting WW1 vintage gas masks they had acquired at the local Army surplus store.   I'm sure they're shopping for hazmat suits right now.

I heard a doctor on TV state that the only protection a paper mask provides is to keep the wearer from touching their face, which is how many viruses propagate.

Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face. Simple enough.

My wife's friend (a nurse) treated someone with it and now she has it too. Supposedly, there are different strains of it because it's nothing more serious than the flu for her.

(02-26-2020, 04:01 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: My wife's friend (a nurse) treated someone with it and now she has it too. Supposedly, there are different strains of it because it's nothing more serious than the flu for her.

From what I’m hearing, it’s mainly the very old, very young, and those with weakened immune systems that are most likely to die from the virus.

(02-26-2020, 04:01 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: My wife's friend (a nurse) treated someone with it and now she has it too. Supposedly, there are different strains of it because it's nothing more serious than the flu for her.

I've read mortality rates as high as 4% in China and low as 2% by the World Health Organization - compared to the flu (.1%). 

At a minimum, COVID-19 is nearly 2000% more serious than the flu.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(02-26-2020, 05:22 PM)Gabe Wrote:

I've read mortality rates as high as 4% in China and low as 2% by the World Health Organization - compared to the flu (.1%). 

I'm not disputing that; I'm only saying that for her it isn't anything serious.

(02-26-2020, 04:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

From what I’m hearing, it’s mainly the very old, very young, and those with weakened immune systems that are most likely to die from the virus.

I agree.  It's pretty much people with weakened immune systems that are in more danger.  Add to that the quality of care that a person receives.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but that really doesn't seem accurate to me.  Sure the numbers will vary between the flu and the corona-virus, but consider the number of cases and where the deaths happen.  This page breaks down the probability of dying from the disease based on age and general health.  Of course the probabilities are for China only, but consider the level of care that a person might receive there.

It's just my opinion, but I think that the danger is being way over hyped.  Consider the locations of the deaths so far along with the quality of medical care in those locations (mostly government run healthcare).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oh God.  I sure hope this can't be transmitted online.   We're all doomed.  Another reason for Shad to move to London when all of us DuvalPride.com board members die off.

(02-26-2020, 12:44 PM)Gabe Wrote: (un)surprisingly enough, the CDC and the WH aren't on the same page.

The White House gutted Obama era measures taken after the Ebola crisis to deal with outbreaks like this
. Now they're scrambling to put together a task force.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-26-2020, 07:57 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 12:44 PM)Gabe Wrote: (un)surprisingly enough, the CDC and the WH aren't on the same page.

The White House gutted Obama era measures taken after the Ebola crisis to deal with outbreaks like this

And now we all die.

(02-26-2020, 09:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 07:57 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

And now we all die.
I’m pretty sure I already died from gun violence and global warming so I don’t think I have very much to worry about this outbreak.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2020, 06:56 AM by The Real Marty.)

I am speculating here, but I wonder if those stats are skewed by the fact that we have a flu vaccine.  

These are the statistics for mortality by age:  

https://nerdist.com/article/9-coronavirus-facts/

"If you do somehow become infected with COVID-19, your odds of dying from it are only about 2.3%. And even that figure is misleading, as the overwhelming amount of deaths have occurred in the elderly population. According to a paper by the Chinese CCDC released on February 17 and published in the Chinese Journal of Epidemiology (via worldometer), the death rate of COVID-19 is 14% amongst those 80 years old and older, 8% amongst those 70-79, 3.6% amongst those 60-69, and 1.3% amongst those 50-59. For all other age ranges, the odds of death are less than .5%."

These stats could be affected by things like elderly people getting routine flu shots.