Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 OT who is your fave

(02-29-2020, 06:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Based on what Doug and Dave said about the offensive line the other day, I am getting the distinct feeling it may not be as big a priority with them as it is with us.

I’m not reading anything into that.

They praised our linebacking group too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-29-2020, 07:56 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 06:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Based on what Doug and Dave said about the offensive line the other day, I am getting the distinct feeling it may not be as big a priority with them as it is with us.

I’m not reading anything into that.

They praised our linebacking group too.

Dave did talk positively about the LBs, but he said "we have good depth there", which, to me, means we have good backups, but not so much with starters.

With the O-line he very much talked about cam Robinson in terms of a guy who's set to start.

As always, we'll see.

(02-29-2020, 03:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 03:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I could easily see Denver (Bolles sucks), Atlanta and Dallas taking a tackle. Cleveland is all but assured of taking a tackle considering Robinson is done. Jets have an atrocious OLine.
Bolles had a slow start to his career but is pretty decent now.  What makes you think Dallas or Atlanta will take a tackle?  Dallas has Smith and Collins and Atlanta has Matthews and McGary who they just drafted in the 1st last year.   Another typical Cleawood post where he doesn't know what hes talking about.  Neither of those 3 will take a tackle.  I could see Cleavend taking Brown or Kinlaw if they feel they are the BAP and then going tackle in the 2nd, they need help on that anterior dline as well just like we do.
Oh the irony.

Bolles is dreadful. Tyron Smith has been hurt fairly often lately and good teams (like what the Eagles did with Dillard) take tackles a season or 2 before they need them.

I don’t know what will happen but when you said “none of (insert team) will take a tackle”, you’re setting yourself up for failure. I could easily see Giants, Cardinals, Jags, Jets, Browns, Broncos and another team all taking tackles.

(02-29-2020, 08:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 03:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bolles had a slow start to his career but is pretty decent now.  What makes you think Dallas or Atlanta will take a tackle?  Dallas has Smith and Collins and Atlanta has Matthews and McGary who they just drafted in the 1st last year.   Another typical Cleawood post where he doesn't know what hes talking about.  Neither of those 3 will take a tackle.  I could see Cleavend taking Brown or Kinlaw if they feel they are the BAP and then going tackle in the 2nd, they need help on that anterior dline as well just like we do.
Oh the irony.

Bolles is dreadful. Tyron Smith has been hurt fairly often lately and good teams (like what the Eagles did with Dillard) take tackles a season or 2 before they need them.

I don’t know what will happen but when you said “none of (insert team) will take a tackle”, you’re setting yourself up for failure. I could easily see Giants, Cardinals, Jags, Jets, Browns, Broncos and another team all taking tackles.
I was naming talking about teams between our picks.  I think 2 tackles max get picked before our pick at 9

(02-26-2020, 11:42 PM)surfon Wrote: [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][b]2020 NFL Draft Rankings: Offensive Linemen[/b][/color]
  • Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (JR, 6'5", 320 pounds) ...
  • Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (JR, 6'5", 320 pounds) ...
  • Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (JR, 6'7", 369 pounds) ...
  • Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG, Iowa (JR, 6'5", 322 pounds) ...
  • Josh Jones, OT, Houston (SR, 6'5", 311 poounds)...
So who is the best in this group?  How would you rank them.  Will any last to the second round.  Should we be drafting one?

Mine is Thomas, Wills, and Becton at this moment.

Wirfs is interesting as a potential og too.

I think jones will be there in the second or third.
I like most of the guys, but I would have to list Wirfs and Thomas as my top two LTs.

I am skeptikal about Becton, but his combine is going to make me re-evaluate.

But WIrfs is my favorite OT prospect.

Aside from the physical traits he demonstrated at the combine, I really like that he came from Iowa, which, in my opinion, is one of the more underrated programs as it comes to producing NFL players.  In all the years I have watched football, I can recall only one-two tops-Iowa offensive linemen who were busts, and the last one was Robert Gallery.  It seems like every other Iowa offensive lineman were at minimum solid players in the NFL.  I think Wirfs can excel at 4 different positions on the OL, with the one exception being C.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-28-2020, 10:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's funny how every year people always think this guy or that guy wont be there lol.  Every year it happens lol.  Got Jawan Taylor in the 2nd when a lot of talking heads said we were going to take him in the 1st.  Dillard went 22.  We got Josh Allen at 7.   I'd say it's better than a 50/50 chance one of the top 5 tackles will be there at 20

I agree completely with you here.

Every year, players drop further than expected.

I remember pre draft discussions where nobody thought John Henderson would be there on the board when we picked, but he was.  The year before, people were shocked that RT Kenyatta Walker would be on the board when we picked. 

Allen, Taylor, and Jack all were expected to be long gone when our picks arrived.

It's not just for us, either.  Warren Sapp was supposed to be a top 5 pick in 1995.  Randy Moss and Emmitt Smith were supposed to be top 5-10 talents.  Both were available in the late teams and early 20s in their respective drafts.

Are there "chalk" picks every year?  Sure.  That's the nature of player evaluation.

But based upon team needs, the available draft pools, etc., players you don't expect to drop will drop.

A different question - if your top two favourite OTs are gone by the time we pick at nine, do you think the group is close enough in talent to pick the third- best there?

For me that would mean Becton and Wirfs have gone. And in that scenario I’m not sure I’d be quite as excited about picking Thomas, even though he’d probably be a solid player.

And I think seeing two or more OTs going in the top-eight probably means some good players will be on the board at other positions.

Or do you feel the top-four OTs are all worth taking at nine?

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2020, 09:53 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

I want okudah to fall but if not Simmons is ideal. Its hard and I have to do some more research.

I have Okudah/ brown/kinlaw/simmons/wirfs, then its Delpit. I really want delpit at S and hope he last till 20. If not then henderson/fulton would be nexf unless ruggs or juedy were still there.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(03-01-2020, 04:12 AM)Andy G Wrote: A different question - if your top two favourite OTs are gone by the time we pick at nine, do you think the group is close enough in talent to pick the third- best there?

For me that would mean Becton and Wirfs have gone. And in that scenario I’m not sure I’d be quite as excited about picking Thomas, even though he’d probably be a solid player.

And I think seeing two or more OTs going in the top-eight probably means some good players will be on the board at other positions.

Barring a bunch of movement of teams trading up for QBs, I completely agree that Becton and Wirfs will be gone after pick 8.

because of that, we're going to see someone (Simmons, Okudah, Brown) that is currently touted as a top-five talent likely slip to 9. I wouldn't take any of the other three tackles (Thomas, Wills, Jones) over any of those three who slipped. We could end up with a repeat of last year, where someone we had no sensible reason to expect to be available at 9 sitting right there for the taking.

With so many OTs emerging as 1st round prospects, it sure is beginning to look like like a bad year to pass on the position.

Passing on TE in '17 and '18 sure seemed unwise at the time and now appears downright foolish. I hope the Jags don't make a similar error at OT because they just want to give Cam another year to heal up.

Right now for me it's:

1. Tristan Wirfs
2. Andrew Thomas
3. Mekhi Becton
4. Austin Jackson
5. Prince Tega Wanogho
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-02-2020, 02:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Right now for me it's:

1. Tristan Wirfs
2. Andrew Thomas
3. Mekhi Becton
4. Austin Jackson
5. Prince Tega Wanogho

Wills?

I think Wirfs is the best player but I would draft him and put him at RG.

(03-02-2020, 07:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Wirfs is the best player but I would draft him and put him at RG.

Short term or long term at G?

I could maybe see it short term, like how the Ravens treated Jon Ogden, stating him off inside his rookie year then moving him to LT for the rest of his career.

But to me, if Wirfs is fully capable of playing at LT and upgrading the position, to me it would be a waste putting him inside full time.

(03-03-2020, 10:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 07:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Wirfs is the best player but I would draft him and put him at RG.

Short term or long term at G?

I could maybe see it short term, like how the Ravens treated Jon Ogden, stating him off inside his rookie year then moving him to LT for the rest of his career.

But to me, if Wirfs is fully capable of playing at LT and upgrading the position, to me it would be a waste putting him inside full time.

If someone has potential at tackle like Wirfs does you play them there until they fail then move them inside. 

The only scenario id even consider Wirfs playing guard early is if Cam Robinson improves significantly and dramatically as a pass blocker outside, but that's quite unlikely, even if not impossible

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2020, 01:21 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-02-2020, 07:29 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 02:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Right now for me it's:

1. Tristan Wirfs
2. Andrew Thomas
3. Mekhi Becton
4. Austin Jackson
5. Prince Tega Wanogho

Wills?

I think he'll be an elite RT or potentially a damn good LT. But I don't think we'll land him. I wanted to be realistic with my list. I don't see him making it past the Giants. He would give the Giants an instant boost in the running game and he would keep Daniel Jones upright. 

The guys I listed I think we have a chance at landing them. Wirfs and Thomas at 9th overall. Maybe Mekhi Becton there too. I also think Jackson could be an option with the 20th pick. And I could see Tega Wanogho being a guy that they might target in RD2.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-03-2020, 01:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 07:29 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Wills?

I think he'll be an elite RT or potentially a damn good LT. But I don't think we'll land him. I wanted to be realistic with my list. I don't see him making it past the Giants. He would give the Giants an instant boost in the running game and he would keep Daniel Jones upright. 

The guys I listed I think we have a chance at landing them. Wirfs and Thomas at 9th overall. Maybe Mekhi Becton there too. I also think Jackson could be an option with the 20th pick. And I could see Tega Wanogho being a guy that they might target in RD2.

You have Wills rated that highly over the other tackles.  I think there is a very good chance Wills is there when we pick

(03-03-2020, 01:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 01:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he'll be an elite RT or potentially a damn good LT. But I don't think we'll land him. I wanted to be realistic with my list. I don't see him making it past the Giants. He would give the Giants an instant boost in the running game and he would keep Daniel Jones upright. 

You have Wills rated that highly over the other tackles.  I think there is a very good chance Wills is there when we pick

He's a good athlete for his position. I think it's 1A and 1B at this point between him and Wirfs. It just boils down to who you think is the best fit for which position on your team. Do you want a LT or RT? Either way I think you're getting an elite RT at the minimum with either guy. 

I think in New York's case you would be more inclined to favor Wills over Wirfs because he just seems to have a more polished game against stouter competition and he technically blocked Tagovailoa's blindside while also paving the way for some solid running games at Alabama. 

New York can't go wrong with Wills. The only way I see them passing up on Wills is if for some crazy [BLEEP] reason Chase Young makes it past the Redskins or Lions.

Though this was in interesting break down of Wills and Wirfs:

(03-01-2020, 04:12 AM)Andy G Wrote: A different question - if your top two favourite OTs are gone by the time we pick at nine, do you think the group is close enough in talent to pick the third- best there?

I like Wills, Wirfs, Becton, and Thomas enough to take at 9 in that order now.  Being that either okudah or brown did not fall I would pick one yes.