Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jimmy Smith TOP 5 plays

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020, 08:40 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Sorry, I can’t remember 10 so I’m going with 5.

Honorable Mentions - Bobbled pass that popped up and Smith caught it and scored against that 2000 Ravens defense. 

The catch he had on Sunday Night vs Saints where he once again bobbled the pass but came down with it and dove to the pylon. I was at that game and we won. 

The Catch he had against the Jets in his last season at 36 years old. He ran a slant and go and caught the go ahead TD from Leftwich. 

5. The game vs Patriots in believe in 1996 or 1997 where he caught a Hail Mary that would have been a legendary play. He caught it at the 1 centimeter line.

4. His Catch against Ravens when he ran an out and up vs McCallister and that 2000 Ravens defense. Smith had 291 yards that day and 3 TDs.

3. His catch and run vs the Chiefs in an away game. At the time it was the longest reception in Jaguar history at 74 yards. He was chased down from behind by Dale Carter who had an angle on him.

2. His catch at Seahawks where he glided forever and bobbled the pass and then caught it over 2 Seahawk defenders for a TD.

1. 30 yard Fade to Glory against Denver Broncos in the 1996 playoffs. Denver was heavily favored. But Smith made the biggest offensive play in Jaguars history that night.

Don’t beat me up too bad. I’m 38 years old now and these memories were from when I was 12 years old. I’m picking these from the membrane.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The one-handed circus catch against the Steelers on MNF, where he was bobbling the pass off of his left hand for a solid five yards on his way into the endzone before getting it under control and crossing the plane.

(03-02-2020, 01:35 AM)TJBender Wrote: The one-handed circus catch against the Steelers on MNF, where he was bobbling the pass off of his left hand for a solid five yards on his way into the endzone before getting it under control and crossing the plane.

I don’t remember that one. Top 5?

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Just read where there has only been 5 WRs on Earth to have 6 consecutive 1000 yard seasons in the NFL. Jimmy Smith was 1 of them.

Jerry Rice
Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Lance Alworth
Jimmy Smith

This guy was 212 yards away from having ‘ten’ 1000 yard seasons. He really doesn’t get the attention in the national media of being one of the all time greats. Dude didn’t even take off until 26 years old bc the injury in 1992.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 03:30 PM by NCJag.)

(03-11-2020, 02:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Just read where there has only been 5 WRs on Earth to have 6 consecutive 1000 yard seasons in the NFL. Jimmy Smith was 1 of them.

Jerry Rice
Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Lance Alworth
Jimmy Smith

This guy was 212 yards away from having ‘ten’ 1000 yard seasons. He really doesn’t get the attention in the national media of being one of the all time greats. Dude didn’t even take off until 26 years old bc the injury in 1992.

Yep, and that one season he was SHORT, he missed FOUR games.  You don't think he makes those numbers if he plays a full season? Please.

Top 25 ALL TIME in Receptions, Receiving Yards, and YPC.  It's a crying shame he doesn't get as much credit as he should. He should at least get a SNIFF for HOF consideration.

Side note: Calvin Johnson also had 6 consecutive 1K seasons (2010-2015). Antonio Brown went for 1K (2013-2018). Julio Jones did it from 2014-2019. Rod Smith did it 97-02. Randy Moss (98-03)

Jimmy is tied 2nd All Time with SEVEN consecutive 1000 seasons (1996-2002), also tied 2nd All Time with NINE 1000 Yard seasons (T-Tim Brown).

Torry Holt did it EIGHT consecutive seasons: 2000-2007. So did Marvin Harrison (99-06). Cris Carter (93-00)

Regardless:  Jimmy is in PRIMO company.  Jerry, Tim, Lance, Cris, Randy, and Marvin are ALL in the Hall of Fame.  Pretty sure Megatron will get there when he's eligible.  Where's the love for JSmooth?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Can anyone find the video of jimmy flying down the sideline out of bounds and hooks the pylon with his foot. I can never seem to find it. It was late career Jimmy
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 06:53 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(03-11-2020, 06:45 PM)realtorpat Wrote: Can anyone find the video of jimmy flying down the sideline out of bounds and hooks the pylon with his foot.  I can never seem to find it.  It was late career Jimmy

2005 Jets vs Jags. Smith caught game winner in overtime I think...

(03-11-2020, 03:28 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 02:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Just read where there has only been 5 WRs on Earth to have 6 consecutive 1000 yard seasons in the NFL. Jimmy Smith was 1 of them.

Jerry Rice
Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Lance Alworth
Jimmy Smith

Yep, and that one season he was SHORT, he missed FOUR games.  You don't think he makes those numbers if he plays a full season? Please.

Top 25 ALL TIME in Receptions, Receiving Yards, and YPC.  It's a crying shame he doesn't get as much credit as he should. He should at least get a SNIFF for HOF consideration.

Side note: Calvin Johnson also had 6 consecutive 1K seasons (2010-2015). Antonio Brown went for 1K (2013-2018). Julio Jones did it from 2014-2019. Rod Smith did it 97-02. Randy Moss (98-03)

Jimmy is tied 2nd All Time with SEVEN consecutive 1000 seasons (1996-2002), also tied 2nd All Time with NINE 1000 Yard seasons (T-Tim Brown).

Torry Holt did it EIGHT consecutive seasons: 2000-2007. So did Marvin Harrison (99-06). Cris Carter (93-00)

Regardless:  Jimmy is in PRIMO company.  Jerry, Tim, Lance, Cris, Randy, and Marvin are ALL in the Hall of Fame.  Pretty sure Megatron will get there when he's eligible.  Where's the love for JSmooth?

I think the article was old. I agree JSmooth should get way more consideration.

Guess who had the highest AV all time on the Jags?? Yep, Jimmy Smith with 135.

(03-11-2020, 06:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 06:45 PM)realtorpat Wrote: Can anyone find the video of jimmy flying down the sideline out of bounds and hooks the pylon with his foot.  I can never seem to find it.  It was late career Jimmy

(03-11-2020, 03:28 PM)NCJag Wrote: Yep, and that one season he was SHORT, he missed FOUR games.  You don't think he makes those numbers if he plays a full season? Please.

Thats what was amazing: his first year he didn’t start and only had 22 catches/3 TDs. So basically we are looking at a 10 year career 96-05. All he did in that time frame was have 840 catches and 12 THOUSAND YARDS. Also 5x Pro Bowl and 2x All Pro. 
But.....small market bias and all.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(03-11-2020, 07:11 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 06:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: 2005 Jets vs Jags. Smith caught game winner in overtime I think...

Thats what was amazing: his first year he didn’t start and only had 22 catches/3 TDs. So basically we are looking at a 10 year career 96-05. All he did in that time frame was have 840 catches and 12 THOUSAND YARDS. Also 5x Pro Bowl and 2x All Pro. 

And he played in an era that ran the ball and stopped the run. Also....He has to share the rock with Kyle Brady, Fred Taylor, and Keenan McCardell.

Smith wasn’t a Randy Miss type receiver that would go up and get the ball like Allen Robinson. He was a Jerry Rice type or even a Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne. He ran precise routes and gave the QB the same look every time. He didn’t have the best hands he just had a knack for getting separation and he was a master at get offs. If you pressed he had another gear. If you played off, him and Brunell had a play where Mark would immediately throw it down the line and Smith would get 7-11 yards every time. Smith made a living on the sideline.

(03-11-2020, 09:58 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 07:11 PM)NCJag Wrote: Thats what was amazing: his first year he didn’t start and only had 22 catches/3 TDs. So basically we are looking at a 10 year career 96-05. All he did in that time frame was have 840 catches and 12 THOUSAND YARDS. Also 5x Pro Bowl and 2x All Pro. 

And he played in an era that ran the ball and stopped the run. Also....He has to share the rock with Kyle Brady, Fred Taylor, and Keenan McCardell.

Smith wasn’t a Randy Miss type receiver that would go up and get the ball like Allen Robinson. He was a Jerry Rice type or even a Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne. He ran precise routes and gave the QB the same look every time. He didn’t have the best hands he just had a knack for getting separation and he was a master at get offs. If you pressed he had another gear. If you played off, him and Brunell had a play where Mark would immediately throw it down the line and Smith would get 7-11 yards every time. Smith made a living on the sideline.

That, and he made a living making CBs look like IDIOTS. He was big enough to beat press/man and had jets if you tried to play off of him. Guy was another level talent that wasn’t fully appreciated in a decade of Irvin, Owens, Moss, etc.

(03-11-2020, 06:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 06:45 PM)realtorpat Wrote: Can anyone find the video of jimmy flying down the that sideline out of bounds and hooks the pylon with his foot.  I can never seem to find it.  It was late career Jimmy

That was it! Been looking for that for a while
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

The more I look at his numbers the more he deserves a HOF Shot.

(03-13-2020, 04:26 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The more I look at his numbers the more he deserves a HOF Shot.

That's all he needs.  Let him get in the room and let his case be heard.  The guy was ELITE for a DECADE.

(03-13-2020, 09:21 AM)ENCJag Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 04:26 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The more I look at his numbers the more he deserves a HOF Shot.

That's all he needs.  Let him get in the room and let his case be heard.  The guy was ELITE for a DECADE.

100% agree. From 1996-1999 he was the best WR in football.

-Tom Jackson

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2020, 06:38 AM by Caldrac.)

Jimmy was dominate for awhile. I would say he's comparable to Isaac Bruce & Torry Holt. Isaac Bruce was just voted in for this year's class. Torry Holt finished up as a finalist. The only thing that separates these two guys from Jimmy is those Superbowl appearances and the "Greatest Show On Turf" stint in the NFL. Jimmy deserves a chance.

Just depends on how the voters view his off the field issues. My other issue is the Sterling Sharpe argument. I think Sterling needs to be in at some point. I think he's the Gale Sayers of the WR position. Put up an incredible amount of production and was barely getting into Brett Favre's prime. Probably would have finished his career within the top 5 - 10 all time range in receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions. He was on an incredible pace for his era.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-14-2020, 06:27 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Jimmy was dominate for awhile. I would say he's comparable to Isaac Bruce & Torry Holt. Isaac Bruce was just voted in for this year's class. Torry Holt finished up as a finalist. The only thing that separates these two guys from Jimmy is those Superbowl appearances and the "Greatest Show On Turf" stint in the NFL. Jimmy deserves a chance.

Just depends on how the voters view his off the field issues. My other issue is the Sterling Sharpe argument. I think Sterling needs to be in at some point. I think he's the Gale Sayers of the WR position. Put up an incredible amount of production and was barely getting into Brett Favre's prime. Probably would have finished his career within the top 5 - 10 all time range in receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions. He was on an incredible pace for his era.

Sterling absolutely should get a nod. Nice way of putting it. I like that analogy of Sayers to bc it’s so true. 

If Terrell Davis got in then so should Sterling. 

For giggles you guys go look at AV which is average value to a team.

The Jags only had 4 players with 100 or more in their career.

Go look what Jimmy Smith’s AV is.

(03-18-2020, 07:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 06:27 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Jimmy was dominate for awhile. I would say he's comparable to Isaac Bruce & Torry Holt. Isaac Bruce was just voted in for this year's class. Torry Holt finished up as a finalist. The only thing that separates these two guys from Jimmy is those Superbowl appearances and the "Greatest Show On Turf" stint in the NFL. Jimmy deserves a chance.

Sterling absolutely should get a nod. Nice way of putting it. I like that analogy of Sayers to bc it’s so true. 

If Terrell Davis got in then so should Sterling. 

For giggles you guys go look at AV which is average value to a team.

The Jags only had 4 players with 100 or more in their career.

Go look what Jimmy Smith’s AV is.
Good Comp.  I had COMPLETELY forgot about Sterling Sharpe.  That dude was LEGIT on some pretty bad GB teams.  Comparing T.D.'s numbers, he crafted a HOF career out of THREE STELLAR seasons. His rookie year was pretty good in the fact he averaged 4.7 a carry, but 96-98 he was probably the best player in football.  After that? His last 3 years he barely played.  So basically, he made the HOF off of 96-98.  

Sucks for Sterling because he was on the way to some ALL TIME numbers.  And then they won the Super Bowl 2 seasons after he retired....

Jimmy Smith had 1300 yards in just 10 games in 2000. The other WR in the history of the NFL has ever done that up to that point.

The more I look at Jimmy’s stats, the more he deserves the HOF. More so than Fred Taylor, and I love Taylor as much as anybody.

I would go as far as Smith deserves it just as much as Boselli.

Bumping this old threads for a very cool Smith/Chark twitter exchange:

https://twitter.com/DJChark82/status/127...41409?s=20

https://twitter.com/JimmySmithJags/statu...11713?s=20

DJ Chark has arrived people. We’ve only had a handful of Pro Bowl WRs come through Jacksonville.

Jimmy Smith
Keenan McCardell
Allen Robinson
DJ Chark

We’ve only had 3 WRs in team history to score 10 or more TDs in a season.

Reggie Williams
Allen Hurns
Allen Robinson

Chark has a great opportunity to leave his mark and legacy on this franchise. Anything less than 1,000 yards is unacceptable. Dude is a Pro Bowl WR now just like Smith said.