Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Position groups to target in FA

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-strengths-a...ree-agency

This is a good general summary of the how strong each position group is in free agency and in the draft.

Which positions do you think we should target in FA?

Personally, I think DT is a no-brainer. There is a huge amount of NT types available in FA, so much so that we might be able to get a good starter without having to pay first wave FA money. This in no way would prohibit them from taking Brown or Kinlaw in the first, but it protects the team and frees them up to go in another direction if they want.

I also think getting a veteran safety to play alongside Harrison would be a good move for this defense. An experienced player with good leadership would be nice. Every year there always seems to be a ton of safetys available late in FA who deserve to be playing somewhere.

They will undoubtedly need to bring in some CB help in FA, but I'd imagine it will be reliable depth rather than a strong starting option. The draft seems a much better path for that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would put an emphasis on defense in general through free agency this year. And try to focus most of our efforts on offense through the draft.

If trading Campbell can net you enough cap space to potentially land 1 year deals on DT's like Jernigan & McCoy I would go that route. And I would certainly look at Kwiatkoski & Martinez as run stopping options at ILB. I think they'll have to draft a CB though in the draft at some point. Could be on opening night. Maybe early 2nd night in RD2.

Not a fan of this year's free agents at CB. But I truly feel they need to go all in with Minshew for 2020. Build the trenches up. Add to the skill positions at WR and TE. Look at more options in the backfield at RB. Depends on what happens with Ngakoue too via trade. If you end up getting another 1st or 2nd / 3rd RD pick for him (assuming he's tagged and traded and no deal is worked out, which seems he won't be here at this point) you could maybe double dip on defense at some point.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-06-2020, 11:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I would put an emphasis on defense in general through free agency this year. And try to focus most of our efforts on offense through the draft.

If trading Campbell can net you enough cap space to potentially land 1 year deals on DT's like Jernigan & McCoy I would go that route. And I would certainly look at Kwiatkoski & Martinez as run stopping options at ILB. I think they'll have to draft a CB though in the draft at some point. Could be on opening night. Maybe early 2nd night in RD2.

Not a fan of this year's free agents at CB. But I truly feel they need to go all in with Minshew for 2020. Build the trenches up. Add to the skill positions at WR and TE. Look at more options in the backfield at RB. Depends on what happens with Ngakoue too via trade. If you end up getting another 1st or 2nd / 3rd RD pick for him (assuming he's tagged and traded and no deal is worked out, which seems he won't be here at this point) you could maybe double dip on defense at some point.

Kwiatkoski does seem like a great option, I wonder what kind of deal he'll be looking at.

TE and ILB make some sense based on the talent in the draft, or lack thereof. The class isn't bereft of talent at those spots, but it's not deep like it is for other positions and you don't want to pick those positions too early unless it's an elite player. I don't see that working out for us in this draft.

DT has some good players available in FA as well, and a mid-tier signing there may allow you to be slightly more flexible with where you choose a DT/NT in the draft.

I'd also consider a look around at free safeties. This position has been somewhat devalued in free agency in recent years once the top players are signed - leaving some solid talent available for reasonable prices.

I'd not be surprised if two of these four positions are addressed in FA.

I say we target our Guards with .00 buckshot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-10-2020, 08:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I say we target our Guards with .00 buckshot.

@Great, we sign a guard and he immediately has to go on IR@

(03-10-2020, 08:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I say we target our Guards with .00 buckshot.

Kinda reminds me of the old John McKay line with the winless Tampa Bay Bucs.

Reporter: "What do you think of your team's execution?"

McKay: "I'm for it."
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-10-2020, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote:

Kinda reminds me of the old John McKay line with the winless Tampa Bay Bucs.

Reporter: "What do you think of your team's execution?"

McKay: "I'm for it."

McKay: "If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."

(03-10-2020, 09:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:

@Great, we sign a guard and he immediately has to go on IR@

Know colloquially as "The Jake Ryan Plan"
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Linebackers, Tight end, and veteran cornerback.

Bro I laughed so hard!