Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Tight End Situation

Still not certain why we didn't load Foles and DeFilippo up with a viable TE and a very quick 3rd down RB like they had in Philly

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2020, 10:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Still not certain why we didn't load Foles and DeFilippo up with a viable TE and a very quick 3rd down RB like they had in Philly

That seems like a million years ago.  Can't believe it was less than 1 year ago we (at least some of us) were full of optimism about Foles and DeFilippo.

(07-01-2020, 10:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Still not certain why we didn't load Foles and DeFilippo up with a viable TE and a very quick 3rd down RB like they had in Philly
You know why.

#BecauseJaguars

Gruden is a match made in heaven for this offense. Minshew can get the ball out quick and made good decisions and have good accuracy.

Gruden's offense is truly unknown and should be taylored to the available personnel. We do know that he often incorporates the TE and RB positions within the passing scheme but which OC doesn't? It's going to be intriguing to see the offensive scheme unfold w/respect to the TE position.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-19-2020, 09:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 09:35 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah but like 3 of them are UDFA or late round guys... 

And players can say they are good to go but coaches ultimately make the decision right? 
I'm just wondering if they'll go light at TE so as to carry more WRs early. I mean do we need to roster a guy that we can stash on our PS or snatch up off the street any given week?

FTR, I hope James O is ready to go... It really seemed like he and Minshew had some chemistry building. I just wonder how "good to go" he can be in Aug or early Sept with an ACL that happened in Oct.

The #4-#6 tight ends aren't going to be touted draft picks on any team, my man. 

Entering the season down in number is not an issue IMO. They'll carry 4 on the roster and two on the now expanded practice squad. Also plenty of time to shuffle the bottom of that position group if they are disappointed in one of the two rookies. Decent waiver wire claims will pop up from camp cuts of teams stacked at TE.

Missing O'Shaughnessy for a few games early on wouldn't be the end of the world if Eifert and Oliver are good to go. Have to see what the docs are saying in August. (He said he expects to start camp by working on the side and continuing rehab - but that he'd run full bore right now if there was a game to be played.)

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...45505?s=20

(08-10-2020, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 09:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The #4-#6 tight ends aren't going to be touted draft picks on any team, my man. 

Entering the season down in number is not an issue IMO. They'll carry 4 on the roster and two on the now expanded practice squad. Also plenty of time to shuffle the bottom of that position group if they are disappointed in one of the two rookies. Decent waiver wire claims will pop up from camp cuts of teams stacked at TE.

Missing O'Shaughnessy for a few games early on wouldn't be the end of the world if Eifert and Oliver are good to go. Have to see what the docs are saying in August. (He said he expects to start camp by working on the side and continuing rehab - but that he'd run full bore right now if there was a game to be played.)

Indeed.  Gardner seemed to have real rapport with him in the few weeks they were on the field together.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020, 12:37 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(07-02-2020, 05:32 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Gruden is a match made in heaven for this offense. Minshew can get the ball out quick and made good decisions and have good accuracy.

Yes, he's the pro-version of Mike Leach. Minshew will be the second coming of Montana magic.

(07-02-2020, 11:33 AM)NH3 Wrote: Gruden's offense is truly unknown and should be taylored to the available personnel. We do know that he often incorporates the TE and RB positions within the passing scheme but which OC doesn't? It's going to be intriguing to see the offensive scheme unfold w/respect to the TE position.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

It's unknown related to the Jaguars, but I think after his years in Cincy, Washington, and the Orlando Predators the film of his offense's tendencies is well-established. He's a WCO guy with spurts of running when it's effective (similar to Jon Gruden's early Raiders offense with Rich Gannon).
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(08-10-2020, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 09:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The #4-#6 tight ends aren't going to be touted draft picks on any team, my man. 

That's great news. He and the 'Shew were definitely starting to click it felt like when he went down last season.

How do you think it’ll work out this season with these TEs? It sounds as if the team wants all three of the top guys to see significant playing time... who do you think will see the most action in the passing game?

(08-11-2020, 11:04 AM)JagJohn Wrote: How do you think it’ll work out this season with these TEs? It sounds as if the team wants all three of the top guys to see significant playing time... who do you think will see the most action in the passing game?

Eifert if healthy honestly. Considering he's a veteran already familiar with the OC.
Oliver still has some coming along to do as a young player and James O will be slow going early to ease him back from ACL.

I could see a lot of sets though with 2 TEs on the field with one or both split out wide or in the slot, just to try and make some mismatches.

(08-11-2020, 11:04 AM)JagJohn Wrote: How do you think it’ll work out this season with these TEs? It sounds as if the team wants all three of the top guys to see significant playing time... who do you think will see the most action in the passing game?

The healthy one foremost, or the one with the hot hand if they stay healthy. 

Hoping it’s Oliver as we need to see value from that pick.

Eifert, I think with his 2nd straight year healthy he has a chance to be one of the better TEs in the AFC

I don't think Eifert is a full time player anymore and will have to be on a reduced snap count like last year compared to other TE1s.

I think he'll get a ton of usage in the red zone and then Oliver can do a lot of the move stuff between the 20s, cross formation plays and up the seam. Then JOS will just fill a depth TE role and do a bit of everything.

Should be over 1k as a unit

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 09:08 AM by mal234.)

According to the Jags Twitter account James O'Shaughnessy is no longer on the unable to perform list. He will be activated and return to practice today. I'm glad to see this good news. I look forward to seeing him build more chemistry with Gardner.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1293530202279206913

Josh Oliver now out and needing surgery on his foot.

Looks like we are depending on Tyler Eifert to stay healthy for a decent group

Well we always knew at least one of them would go down eventually... Here we go again.

Oliver is not going to make it in the NFL at this rate. Sucks, but he seems too fragile.

(08-17-2020, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/jpshadrick/status/12...36004?s=20

There goes our All Pro TE  Rolleyes
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23