Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign run stuffing DT Al Woods

(03-24-2020, 08:42 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 08:26 AM)Upper Wrote: You've looked at a mock draft recently right? More of them have Brown falling to us or later than not now. He's clearly behind Young, Okudah, and Simmons. Then throw in a QB and an OT or two or three and it's not even close to the same surprise as Allen was.

I spent exactly zero time thinking about Josh Allen as a Jaguar because it was so unlikely he'd make it there to me. Think most people were in that boat
I didn’t see a single mock last year that had Allen fall to the Jags. He went to the 49ers, Jets or Raiders just about every time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Al Wood? who dat

Another solid depth move via free agency. I like Caldwell's approach so far. You can't fix everything in one off season but you have to plan around the value of the draft. If it's loaded on offense, expect to draft offense. If it's loaded on defense, expect to draft defense. They may end up drafting just two or three defensive players next month. Would expect one early depending on how the chips fall. Maybe another player on the 2nd night.

Offense will and should be the focal point during this draft though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-24-2020, 08:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 08:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: I spent exactly zero time thinking about Josh Allen as a Jaguar because it was so unlikely he'd make it there to me. Think most people were in that boat
I didn’t see a single mock last year that had Allen fall to the Jags. He went to the 49ers, Jets or Raiders just about every time.

I saw a few that had him or Oliver falling to us but it was like 5% tops. That both of them fell as far as they did was certainly shocking.

Brown is more like 60-75% falling to 9 in the mocks I see nowadays. He did go 7 in Kiper's updated mock today to be fair, so hopefully someone does mess up and push someone better down to us.

(03-24-2020, 01:09 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 11:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'll be shocked if Brown falls to 9.

Here's how I see his top 10 options 

1) Bengals : no 
2) Washington : no 
3) Lions : no (maybe if they trade back) 
4) giants : no (yes it's gettleman but I'd say there's like 4 prospects they'd rather have here) 
5) Miami: no 
6) Chargers: no
7) Panthers : maybe, think they'd go Simmons over him over one of the tackles but it's possible here for sure 
8) Cardinals: maybe 
9) Jags: maybe 
10) Browns: maybe

So I'd expect him to land in that range more than I would go top 5 personally
Lions- Okudah
Giants- O.Line
Panthers- Simmons
Cardinals- O-Line

Jaguars- Derrick Brown

Woods is a nice signing for DT rotation, but it will have no effect if Brown falls to the Jags. He will be their pick.

(03-24-2020, 09:31 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: Here's how I see his top 10 options 

1) Bengals : no 
2) Washington : no 
3) Lions : no (maybe if they trade back) 
4) giants : no (yes it's gettleman but I'd say there's like 4 prospects they'd rather have here) 
5) Miami: no 
6) Chargers: no
7) Panthers : maybe, think they'd go Simmons over him over one of the tackles but it's possible here for sure 
8) Cardinals: maybe 
9) Jags: maybe 
10) Browns: maybe

So I'd expect him to land in that range more than I would go top 5 personally
Lions- Okudah
Giants- O.Line
Panthers- Simmons
Cardinals- O-Line

Jaguars- Derrick Brown

Woods is a nice signing for DT rotation, but it will have no effect if Brown falls to the Jags. He will be their pick.
Bengals- Joe
Wash- Young
Detroit- Okudah
Giants- Wills
Miami- Tua
Chargers- Herbert
Panthers- Simmons
Cards- Wirfs

I think this is the most likely top 8.

To update, Woods had a 77 run defense grade last year...very solid. We don't need to be taking another primarily run defense DT in the top 10. Help the QB.

(03-24-2020, 09:39 AM)Upper Wrote: To update, Woods had a 77 run defense grade last year...very solid. We don't need to be taking another primarily run defense DT in the top 10. Help the QB.

Kind-of seems Caldwell is looking to platoon a few guys who would essentially be marginal upgrades to Abry Jones in a rotation.  Obviously doesn't remove the possibility of a DT selection early, but I'm thinking it's less likely if his approach really is to field a rotation of "solid +" phone booth guys in the middle.

I'd be fine focusing on offense in early rounds outside of a CB selection which I feel is still very necessary early on. 
Would still look for a NT type in mid rounds to groom/rotate.

(03-24-2020, 09:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:39 AM)Upper Wrote: To update, Woods had a 77 run defense grade last year...very solid. We don't need to be taking another primarily run defense DT in the top 10. Help the QB.

Kind-of seems Caldwell is looking to platoon a few guys who would essentially be marginal upgrades to Abry Jones in a rotation.  Obviously doesn't remove the possibility of a DT selection early, but I'm thinking it's less likely if his approach really is to field a rotation of "solid +" phone booth guys in the middle.

I'd be fine focusing on offense in early rounds outside of a CB selection which I feel is still very necessary early on. 
Would still look for a NT type in mid rounds to groom/rotate.
Okudah is the only CB I would take at 9. After that and depending on who else is available at 20, Henderson and Diggs would be ok there.

I would sprint to the virtual podium if Brown is available.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

It's pretty obvious (to me at least) that DC is setting things up to where we don't have a crying need anywhere that forces a pick.

(03-23-2020, 10:38 PM)Upper Wrote: He had a solid PFF grade, and I presume his run grade is even stronger (will update with it tomorrow if no one else does). Hopefully he keeps us from making the Brown at 9 error now.

Seahawks fans wanted to keep him around, good sign.

Why would you say that?  Are you honestly resting your future on a 33-year old on a one-year deal?

This may be a contingency plan, but by no means does it take him off the board.

If anything, it removes desperation. We probably won't see trading up, unless Dave grows infatuated with Tua, Herbert or one of the OT. Even if a run on OT starts ahead of us, I see depth at that position enough that we wouldn't need to maneuver to get a guy with starting talent.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM by Upper.)

(03-24-2020, 10:22 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 10:38 PM)Upper Wrote: He had a solid PFF grade, and I presume his run grade is even stronger (will update with it tomorrow if no one else does). Hopefully he keeps us from making the Brown at 9 error now.

Seahawks fans wanted to keep him around, good sign.

Why would you say that?  Are you honestly resting your future on a 33-year old on a one-year deal?

This may be a contingency plan, but by no means does it take him off the board.

If anything, it removes desperation. We probably won't see trading up, unless Dave grows infatuated with Tua, Herbert or one of the OT. Even if a run on OT starts ahead of us, I see depth at that position enough that we wouldn't need to maneuver to get a guy with starting talent.

Exactly, it removes the desperation...and if you remove the desperation I don't think Brown is in the top 9 players in the draft so if we still took him that would be an error.

(03-24-2020, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

It's pretty obvious (to me at least) that DC is setting things up to where we don't have a crying need anywhere that forces a pick.

I think LT is still a crying need but, at least with his words, Dave has not admitted that.

I think Brown could still be in play at #9, even with this stop-gap signing.

We can never have enough rotation at d-line.

(03-24-2020, 10:29 AM)enigma Wrote: I think Brown could still be in play at #9, even with this stop-gap signing.

Certainly possible. But it's not JUST this signing. The Gunter signing factors into this as well. 

It's too early to read tea leaves with any hope of accuracy, but this at least opens the possibility that Dave is looking to make DT/NT a lesser priority on draft day. 
He's likely still open to acquiring talent early, but OK with waiting a few rounds due to the insurance of a platoon of solid vets.

(03-24-2020, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:29 AM)enigma Wrote: I think Brown could still be in play at #9, even with this stop-gap signing.

Certainly possible. But it's not JUST this signing. The Gunter signing factors into this as well. 

It's too early to read tea leaves with any hope of accuracy, but this at least opens the possibility that Dave is looking to make DT/NT a lesser priority on draft day. 
He's likely still open to acquiring talent early, but OK with waiting a few rounds due to the insurance of a platoon of solid vets.

Very true.

I see pretty good value in some of the prospects slated to go in the later rounds like Gallimore, Jones, Foku, Lawrence, and R. Williams.

In addition to shoring up the interior d-line, I think Dave might be trying to set us up for drafting an OT early - as there might be a solid run on them where there might be a drop-off in production/value given a later draft slot.

I am on the Foku train. If we can get him in round 2 or 3 I would be stoked.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Dave has been having his best off season thus far in his career.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

AMEN TO THAT!

(03-24-2020, 12:27 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Dave has been having his best off season thus far in his career.

I wouldn't go that far just yet. Next year around the same time we'll either be saying he [BLEEP] everything up and misfired on some draft capital. Or, he's a damn genius. 

We'll see what happens. I am still cautiously optimistic with this [BLEEP] head in charge. Especially with Marrone as the head coach. 

But I was excited about the Jay Gruden and Ben McAdoo hires. And I was excited when they traded Foles away which signifies a showing of good faith in Minshew and the prospect of building around him. 

So far the formula has been "Fix defense through free agency. Add value (more than likely on offense) through the draft". This is a smart practice. Especially for a guy whose [BLEEP] should be redder than Satan's by now from the seat he's been sitting on.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."