Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wanted to officially welcome you back to the 2013-2016 Jaguars

(03-24-2020, 08:15 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 05:09 PM)D-Money Wrote: Might be a little to late but we have needs at alot of positions. Early we could have locked up a few different positions like  DB or Safety, TE, there were better DTs out then who we picked up. You keep the good you have and work them in with draft picks.Also is Al woods not  only 1 year younger than Calais, if you going older could have kept Calais for the production. Not sure if you read that he was he said

For some reason, it doesn't matter how much production you have, when you turn a certain age, guys are trying to get rid of you before you just can't do it anymore. That's good motivation for me, because I'm always trying to prove them wrong."

It would make sense to keep the solid pieces and work the draft picks in. We could have worked something in with Calais with all of the cap space we have cleared. Now we are using that cap space to sign average to below average bodies. Imagine if we kept Bouye ,Calais, and Yan, we still would have been able to sign Schobert, really like the only FA that will make a difference. Terrible front office still. I hope they prove me wrong tho

Did you used to post on here under a different name? Just curious because I thought I recognized your writing style...

No

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Upper Wrote: This is pretty much what a standard FA period looks like for teams. Dave's record spending limitless pocketbook of the previous few years that built us a talented but extremely hollow team is the extreme outlier.

The big FA expenditures have TC written all over them.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-25-2020, 12:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Upper Wrote: This is pretty much what a standard FA period looks like for teams. Dave's record spending limitless pocketbook of the previous few years that built us a talented but extremely hollow team is the extreme outlier.

It's like people dont remember the 2002-2003 seasons.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2020, 07:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The big FA expenditures have TC written all over them.

It's like people dont remember the 2002-2003 seasons. 

Yes and yes.

OP, given that we started the offseason with negative cap space, what exactly did you envision FA to look like?

Which of these signings have the potential to be an albatross hanging from the team's neck in two years? Just because they're not big-name signings doesn't mean they're not good signings.

I'd venture that more of our big-name signings have flopped than not.

(03-25-2020, 12:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

That doesn't appear to be rooted in truth to me.

The year before Tom came back Dave spent oodles on Malik, Ivory, Amukamara, Gipson, and Beachum. The year before that he made Julius Thomas and Parnell top paid players at their positions...in addition to significant money paid to Odrick, Skuta, House, etc. The year before that was Beadles, Gerhart, Clemons and more.

Dave has a plenty long track record of dumping huge money in FA before Coughlin's 2nd coming.

(03-24-2020, 05:09 PM)D-Money Wrote:  
It would make sense to keep the solid pieces and work the draft picks in. We could have worked something in with Calais with all of the cap space we have cleared. Now we are using that cap space to sign average to below average bodies. Imagine if we kept Bouye ,Calais, and Yan, we still would have been able to sign Schobert, really like the only FA that will make a difference. Terrible front office still. I hope they prove me wrong tho

We didnt have the cap space to do what you want.

(03-24-2020, 03:44 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: These signings scream 2013 Jaguars. I’ll be surprised if we win 4 games next year. What a joke

True...man this is crazy. Watch how many people try to justify how good the moves are, what kind of comp it brings in and how much it helps with the cap.

Yeah man.  You got people on here who think Al Woods is gonna be some great rotational player.   Guy is a nobody.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

(03-24-2020, 10:14 PM)jaglyn Wrote: As I am listening to the names of our FA signing, I am asking myself, "Who are these scrubs?"

Facts. Absolute nobodies that will be out of the league within 2 seasons

(03-25-2020, 09:31 AM)Mikey Wrote: OP, given that we started the offseason with negative cap space, what exactly did you envision FA to look like?

Which of these signings have the potential to be an albatross hanging from the team's neck in two years? Just because they're not big-name signings doesn't mean they're not good signings.

Brother we’ve freed up $30MIL already.. I’m pretty sure we can afford to go after better players than al woods or whoever that nobody is. I don’t even know their names. I don’t care.

(03-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:14 PM)jaglyn Wrote: As I am listening to the names of our FA signing, I am asking myself, "Who are these scrubs?"

(03-25-2020, 09:31 AM)Mikey Wrote: OP, given that we started the offseason with negative cap space, what exactly did you envision FA to look like?

Brother we’ve freed up $30MIL already.. I’m pretty sure we can afford to go after better players than al woods or whoever that nobody is. I don’t even know their names. I don’t care.

Ermergherd we didn't sign all the big name FAs I hear about on Sportscenter!!! 
Life sucks so baaaaaahd!
Khan is turrrible! Caldwell sucks!!

Rolleyes

(03-25-2020, 02:09 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Facts. Absolute nobodies that will be out of the league within 2 seasons

Life sucks so baaaaaahd!

Rolleyes

Pretty much sums it up, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Need to bring back Prosinski and Sensabaugh

(03-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

Because signing a bunch of high-priced free agents has been so successful for us over the years.

Name one team that has bought a championship.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-25-2020, 02:45 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Facts. Absolute nobodies that will be out of the league within 2 seasons

Because signing a bunch of high-priced free agents has been so successful for us over the years.

Denver bought Manning then didn't win until he sucked. The ultimate irony.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2020, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 02:45 PM)Rico Wrote: Because signing a bunch of high-priced free agents has been so successful for us over the years.

Denver bought Manning then didn't win until he sucked. The ultimate irony.

Yep, as I've said before they won despite Manning.  [BLEEP], he got pulled for Osweiler mid-season.   Laughing

(03-25-2020, 02:09 PM)Kane Wrote:

Life sucks so baaaaaahd!

Rolleyes

Please show me the post where I said I wanted a bunch of big names in FA.

Just because I expect better than bottom of the barrel signings doesn’t mean that I want us to do 2017 all over again. There’s a happy medium and we’re not doing it. $30M in cap is plenty to sign a couple of decent player's and draft the rest. The Jaguars, however, overpayed for an average linebacker, injury prone tight end, and a couple of guys off the street.

I don’t understand what you guys aren’t getting here.

(03-25-2020, 02:52 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 02:09 PM)Kane Wrote: Ermergherd we didn't sign all the big name FAs I hear about on Sportscenter!!! 
Life sucks so baaaaaahd!

Rolleyes

Just because I expect better than bottom of the barrel signings doesn’t mean that I want us to do 2017 all over again. There’s a happy medium and we’re not doing it. $30M in cap is plenty to sign a couple of decent player's and draft the rest. The Jaguars, however, overpayed for an average linebacker, injury prone tight end, and a couple of guys off the street.

Just that whatever they do won't make any difference to you and it will be the wrong move.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 03:49 PM by D-Money.)

(03-25-2020, 11:50 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 05:09 PM)D-Money Wrote:  

We didnt have the cap space to do what you want.

We didn't have enough cap space to keep Calais and Bouye while adding Schobert? Not even keeping Yan.

The trade of Foles, cutting Marquise Lee which should have been done already and Dareus ?  Then add others thru the draft and maybe 1 other free agent possibly a solid OT or veteran safety..We didn't have enough for that?

(03-25-2020, 02:09 PM)Kane Wrote: Ermergherd we didn't sign all the big name FAs I hear about on Sportscenter!!! 
Life sucks so baaaaaahd!

Rolleyes

Just because you don't know the names of our players doesn't mean they are "bottom of the barrel".

Schobert is a terrific MLB. Excellent in coverage and has played 61 out of 64 games in career.
Al Woods is an excellent run stopper.
Dennard and Eifert already prove that they can have an impact in the NFL.
Cassius Marsh is a DE who, one season ago, played 50% of the snaps and registered 5.5 sacks...
Rodney Gunter is another excellent run stopper.

Not only they are all a team need (DT, MLB, CB, DE, TE...) but they seems to be mature and down to earth, something that we were lacking the last couple of years.

Life sucks so baaaaaahd!

Rolleyes

So again, which guys were you looking to acquire with that $30 (per OTC it's 20, btw) million? Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean it's not a sensible signing. Other than Schobert and maybe Eifert (I haven't seen the specs on his deal yet), absolutely none of the guys we have signed will hurt our cap significantly if we move on from them at any point.

Spending in FA rarely pans out, especially on long-term deals. if your goal was to pay a little more for slightly better, yet still average at best talent, in two years you'll be griping about how we overpaid for a guy that stank out loud on the field.

Dennard's deal aligns perfectly with what you are aiming for, but I note you didn't bother to include him in your criticism - does that mean you approve of that signing?