Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head, Heart, Gut draft picks

(03-30-2020, 11:57 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If the coaches felt he would of been best there they would of played him there last year.  I dont think you would get the most out of Wirfs at LT

Wow, that sure is interesting.... 

https://twitter.com/TheBrownsWire/status...15425?s=19

(03-26-2020, 11:07 AM)Kane Wrote: Wirfs played 30 games at RT and 4 at LT.
If you can plug and play Wirfs at G and he's as good as some of the best guards in the league, why not play him there?

Even IF he can play tackle, why not let him start at guard and then move to tackle when/if you move on from Cam.
Or let them openly compete for the job with the loser sliding to guard?

Lance Zeirlein at NFL.com puts him as a RT or G. And comps him to Bryan Bulaga.
3 out 4 guys at The Draft Network essentially slot him as a guard (or RT) with one comp being CAM ROBINSON
Daniel Jeremiah projects Wirfs as an elite guard prospect.

What do you know that they don't? PFF grades? People need to stop going to the site man lol
Taylor is our RT, for at least another couple seasons. So if you like Wirfs and want him on the roster, he's going to start at RG, the only spot on the line that was in flux last season.
If you're looking for a Cam Robinson replacement/upgrade you should be hoping for Becton, Jones, or maybe Wills (though he only played RT, it was the blindside of Tua's offense)

Thoughts? 

So he would play him at LT in the NFL but not college?  Lol, sounds like he is trying to boost his playes rankings.  College  coaches do that all the time for there players

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 02:14 PM by JackCity.)

(03-30-2020, 01:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:57 AM)JackCity Wrote: Wow, that sure is interesting.... 

Thoughts? 

So he would play him at LT in the NFL but not college?  Lol, sounds like he is trying to boost his playes rankings.  College  coaches do that all the time for there players

Yes. I explained that already though. 

Fair, colleges coaches are prone to do that. But also I'd say it's likely Kirk knows what traits a LT requires and Wirfs has them in spades

(03-30-2020, 11:57 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If the coaches felt he would of been best there they would of played him there last year.  I dont think you would get the most out of Wirfs at LT

Wow, that sure is interesting.... 

(03-26-2020, 11:07 AM)Kane Wrote: Wirfs played 30 games at RT and 4 at LT.
If you can plug and play Wirfs at G and he's as good as some of the best guards in the league, why not play him there?

Even IF he can play tackle, why not let him start at guard and then move to tackle when/if you move on from Cam.
Or let them openly compete for the job with the loser sliding to guard?

Lance Zeirlein at NFL.com puts him as a RT or G. And comps him to Bryan Bulaga.
3 out 4 guys at The Draft Network essentially slot him as a guard (or RT) with one comp being CAM ROBINSON
Daniel Jeremiah projects Wirfs as an elite guard prospect.

What do you know that they don't? PFF grades? People need to stop going to the site man lol
Taylor is our RT, for at least another couple seasons. So if you like Wirfs and want him on the roster, he's going to start at RG, the only spot on the line that was in flux last season.
If you're looking for a Cam Robinson replacement/upgrade you should be hoping for Becton, Jones, or maybe Wills (though he only played RT, it was the blindside of Tua's offense)

Thoughts? 

So... Ferentz thinks that Wirfs is good for NFL left tackle, but kept him on the right side for pretty much his whole career.
So he must think Alaric Jackson is THAT much better, yet he gets buried on big boards all over mock drafts?

Confusing to me really... Was the Iowa QB lefty?
Wouldn't you, as a coach, play your best players at their best positions?

I guess maybe Wirfs can play LT or RT equally well and Jackson wasn't as strong on the right side so to put the best 5 out there he kept Wirfs at RT?

As I have said before... I got no problem having Wirfs come in and compete with Cam (or Taylor for that matter) and putting the loser at G. Whatever it takes to put OUR best 5 on the field to help Minshew and Fournette.
With my limited knowledge of these players specifically much of what I know and base my opinion on comes from reading draft profiles and watching cut ups. I never played or coached. So when I read 5 draft profiles and 3 or 4 of them say "RT or RG" that's what I tend to lean toward.
And when I see what a beast at guard can do for an OL (Like Nelson for the clots) I get excited hearing that Wirfs could be that kind of player at guard.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a coach fluff up a player though.... I mean Bruce Arians was talking up Jameis Winston as he was kicking him out the door, so stands to reason Wirfs would talk up his player to make himself and his program look good too.

(04-01-2020, 10:35 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:57 AM)JackCity Wrote: Wow, that sure is interesting.... 

Thoughts? 

So... Ferentz thinks that Wirfs is good for NFL left tackle, but kept him on the right side for pretty much his whole career.
So he must think Alaric Jackson is THAT much better, yet he gets buried on big boards all over mock drafts?

I guess maybe Wirfs can play LT or RT equally well and Jackson wasn't as strong on the right side so to put the best 5 out there he kept Wirfs at RT?

As I have said before... I got no problem having Wirfs come in and compete with Cam (or Taylor for that matter) and putting the loser at G. Whatever it takes to put OUR best 5 on the field to help Minshew and Fournette.
With my limited knowledge of these players specifically much of what I know and base my opinion on comes from reading draft profiles and watching cut ups. I never played or coached. So when I read 5 draft profiles and 3 or 4 of them say "RT or RG" that's what I tend to lean toward.
And when I see what a beast at guard can do for an OL (Like Nelson for the clots) I get excited hearing that Wirfs could be that kind of player at guard.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a coach fluff up a player though.... I mean Bruce Arians was talking up Jameis Winston as he was kicking him out the door, so stands to reason Wirfs would talk up his player to make himself and his program look good too.

Yep as I was saying to flgators Wirfs only got on the field as a true freshman because it was at RT, then the following year the entrenched LT (who was older than Wirfs and had been in the program longer) played at an all conference level at LT meaning there was no reason to swap them around and possibly make both spots worse.

(04-01-2020, 04:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 10:35 AM)Kane Wrote: So... Ferentz thinks that Wirfs is good for NFL left tackle, but kept him on the right side for pretty much his whole career.

Yep as I was saying to flgators Wirfs only got on the field as a true freshman because it was at RT, then the following year the entrenched LT (who was older than Wirfs and had been in the program longer) played at an all conference level at LT meaning there was no reason to swap them around and possibly make both spots worse.

So prior to the knee injury do you think Alaric Jackson would have been mocked/drafted higher than Wirfs?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!