Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stimulus

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-25-2020, 08:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My biggest thing is that I don't really need it.  I don't really like putting personal information out but I make a bit over $100,000 per year while my wife makes a modest income.  After contributions to our IRA's we can get under the $150,000 limit and get a check.

My point is that someone like me doesn't need the stimulus.  Will I take it?  Yes because it's from tax dollars that I have paid.  As I said before it will probably go right back to the government in the form of taxes.  I just wonder how many people will actually use it to make ends meet (the intent) and how many people will use it or blow it on non-necessities.

I'd like to see what percentage of people who didnt lose a day of work during all this will end up getting their "bonus" from our government.

More importantly, I'd like to see the % of people that keep their $1,200 checks (100%) that previously claimed COVID-19 was a hoax and/or claiming COVID-19 is nothing more than a flu.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2020, 10:21 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, part of the relief package was to reward businesses to not layout employees, yet unemployment numbers are through he roof. Will said companies still be receiving the handout?

Unemployment numbers could be even higher.  The airlines haven't started laying off yet, from what I understand.  Neither have the auto manufacturers.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-26-2020, 11:16 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I'd like to see what percentage of people who didnt lose a day of work during all this will end up getting their "bonus" from our government.

More importantly, I'd like to see the % of people that keep their $1,200 checks (100%) that previously claimed COVID-19 was a hoax and/or claiming COVID-19 is nothing more than a flu.

So I shouldn't take back my tax money just because I believe this whole thing is blown out of proportion?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2020, 05:52 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: People who make over 200k a year may have been laid off and have their own bill's to pay.

My government determined I am not worthy of financial relief based off my family's income, completely irrelevant to any damage COVID-19 may have caused to my finances.

A stimulus check is called a "stimulus check" for a reason, and any effort to pitch a one-time payment as some form of lasting relief is insane at best, lying at worst. Its purpose is to put money into the hands of consumers who wouldn't otherwise be spending right now in an effort to get them to do so, with a future President having to clean up the inflationary mess. Someone with over $200k in income is able to spend anyway unless they are really, really doing it wrong. Someone with $70K in income might be less willing to buy anything right now, and that's what a stimulus check is designed to encourage. What they spend it on is irrelevant. That they spend it is important to the government. Someone out of work has unemployment available to them.

If you're not happy, tell your Represntative, your Senators and anyone else in a position of power who had input into the stimulus parameters what you think of their work, and maybe the next payment (there will be at least one more) will have your name on a check.

(03-26-2020, 11:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 11:16 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: More importantly, I'd like to see the % of people that keep their $1,200 checks (100%) that previously claimed COVID-19 was a hoax and/or claiming COVID-19 is nothing more than a flu.

So I shouldn't take back my tax money just because I believe this whole thing is blown out of proportion?

"blown out of proportion" is not the same as claiming it's a hoax or a flu equivalent.

(03-26-2020, 12:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 11:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So I shouldn't take back my tax money just because I believe this whole thing is blown out of proportion?

"blown out of proportion" is not the same as claiming it's a hoax or a flu equivalent.

When all is said and done Influenza will kill more people in 2020 than SARS COV-2.

So... not as bad as the flu?

QUICK QUESTION --- I think the answer is yes to all 3

Will the following peeps get checks (even though non filed taxes):

1) 85 year old mother
2) 22 year old kid (full time student)
3) 20 year old kid (full time student)

sounds like a case in which, if you have a pulse and don't make over a certain amount, you get a check

(03-26-2020, 12:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 11:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So I shouldn't take back my tax money just because I believe this whole thing is blown out of proportion?

It's not equivalent, it's going to be less.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-26-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: QUICK QUESTION --- I think the answer is yes to all 3

1) 85 year old mother

sounds like a case in which, if you have a pulse and don't make over a certain amount, you get a check

The way I read it was if you didn't file a tax return you gotta jump through extra hoops to get your free money.

Most people will do whatever it takes for that free money.

(03-26-2020, 12:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: QUICK QUESTION --- I think the answer is yes to all 3

1) 85 year old mother

The way I read it was if you didn't file a tax return you gotta jump through extra hoops to get your free money.

We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The way I read it was if you didn't file a tax return you gotta jump through extra hoops to get your free money.

We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

This may be the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time (but I'm most certain you'll even top it with your response  ..... )

(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The way I read it was if you didn't file a tax return you gotta jump through extra hoops to get your free money.

Huh

Dude, there's a time and a place for everything. Even you have to admit that turning ICE loose on the basis of a stimulus check would be political suicide, even for Trump, not to mention just the morally wrong thing to do.

(03-26-2020, 01:05 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

Huh

Dude, there's a time and a place for everything. Even you have to admit that turning ICE loose on the basis of a stimulus check would be political suicide, even for Trump, not to mention just the morally wrong thing to do.

Now we care about morals?

(03-26-2020, 01:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:05 PM)TJBender Wrote: Huh

Now we care about morals?

My morals not always aligning with yours doesn't mean that I don't care about them, but nice try.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 01:32 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-26-2020, 01:22 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Now we care about morals?

My morals not always aligning with yours doesn't mean that I don't care about them, but nice try.

I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the morals of the government stuffing the bill full of pork and discussing how much extra pork will be in future stimulus bills.

The "moral" thing to do would have been an emergency bill addressing only the issues, not funding a performance arts center and trying to slip ballot harvesting in there.

Therefore, based on the lack of "morals" of our gov't, would it really be "immoral" to trap illegals and throw them out of the country where they belong?

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM by mal234.)

1) 85 year old mother

It could actually could be no for at least #2 and #3. From what I read/understand regarding this plan if someone is claiming the full time (and under 24 year old) students as dependents, the students won't get a payment. Dependents claimed on a return aren't going to get a check sent to them. 85 year old mom, might could get a stimulus payment. But that may depend on whether she's a dependent. 

Here's some more information that has come out that's related that will be of interest to a lot of people in the country. Especially people that owe student loans. The Secretary of Education Betsy Devos has said that people who owe federal student loans, who haven't filed their 2019 Tax Returns yet will not get those refunds taken this year. And for people that have already filed and had their refunds in the process of being taken on the March 13 date (the date the National Emergency was declared), will get their refunds given back to them. It's being reported that 1.8 Billion dollars in tax refunds will be given back to 830,000 people. 

This will definitely impact a lot of people. I've seen so many situations especially through work where people have gotten their tax refunds zapped due to owing federal student loans. Especially married couples with kids, where one person didn't know that the other person owed these loans. And they're refund (often times) of thousands of dollars (Sometimes several) is taken.

And then they may elect to file the injured spouse form, which will hold up the refund even longer. This will definitely be of relief to them. And as or right now the the Treasury can also not garnish wages due or social security checks due to student loans.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/s...s-families

(03-26-2020, 12:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

This may be the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time (but I'm most certain you'll even top it with your response  ..... )

Hey, our priorities differ. No big deal.

(03-26-2020, 01:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: This may be the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time (but I'm most certain you'll even top it with your response  ..... )

Hey, our priorities differ. No big deal.

Your priorities seem to follow the laws of the land. Don't let them get you down, you are on the right side of history here.

(03-26-2020, 01:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:22 PM)TJBender Wrote: My morals not always aligning with yours doesn't mean that I don't care about them, but nice try.

I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the morals of the government stuffing the bill full of pork and discussing how much extra pork will be in future stimulus bills.

The "moral" thing to do would have been an emergency bill addressing only the issues, not funding a performance arts center and trying to slip ballot harvesting in there.

Therefore, based on the lack of "morals" of our gov't, would it really be "immoral" to trap illegals and throw them out of the country where they belong?

That’s why I threw the political suicide bit in. If trump ordered ICE to use the pandemic as an excuse to round up undocumented immigrants, he’d be blasted across almost all of the American political spectrum. Besides, undocumented immigrants aren’t getting stimulus funds. You have to file with an SSN to get a check, not the ITIN they use.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-26-2020, 02:11 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 01:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the morals of the government stuffing the bill full of pork and discussing how much extra pork will be in future stimulus bills.

That’s why I threw the political suicide bit in. If trump ordered ICE to use the pandemic as an excuse to round up undocumented immigrants, he’d be blasted across almost all of the American political spectrum. Besides, undocumented immigrants aren’t getting stimulus funds. You have to file with an SSN to get a check, not the ITIN they use.

Ugh.. liberal double speak.

It's ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Calling them undocumented is just a flat out lie.. they are illegally in this country.

Calling them an immigrant is also a flat out lie.. they illegally entered the country therefore they are an ALIEN.. an immigrant is someone that legally enters a country.

It's an especially hot topic for me because my mother is German and had to enter the US legally.