Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stimulus

(03-26-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: QUICK QUESTION --- I think the answer is yes to all 3

Will the following peeps get checks (even though non filed taxes):

1) 85 year old mother
2) 22 year old kid (full time student)
3) 20 year old kid (full time student)

sounds like a case in which, if you have a pulse and don't make over a certain amount, you get a check

Just curious... how old are the 85 year old mother's children?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-26-2020, 02:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: QUICK QUESTION --- I think the answer is yes to all 3

1) 85 year old mother

sounds like a case in which, if you have a pulse and don't make over a certain amount, you get a check

Just curious... how old are the 85 year old mother's children?

in our 50's .... the ones referenced above are grandchildren --- that did look a bit strange referencing only mother and kids.

(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 12:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The way I read it was if you didn't file a tax return you gotta jump through extra hoops to get your free money.

Most people will do whatever it takes for that free money.

We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

I just had a whacked out vision of Trump doing a press briefing on COVID-19 and proposing a 2 trillion dollar stimulus for ICE as the market crashes and burns.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475673180be23becc752...=giphy.gif]

My mother got fired from her job for wearing a mask at work.... that seems unfair.

(03-26-2020, 02:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Ugh.. liberal double speak.

It's ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Calling them undocumented is just a flat out lie.. they are illegally in this country.

Calling them an immigrant is also a flat out lie.. they illegally entered the country therefore they are an ALIEN.. an immigrant is someone that legally enters a country.

It's an especially hot topic for me because my mother is German and had to enter the US legally.

My grandfather was from Italy and had to enter the country legally. Don't see how that makes a difference.

(03-26-2020, 03:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: My mother got fired from her job for wearing a mask at work.... that seems unfair.

It is. Has she contacted any employment attorneys yet? I bet they'd love the oh-so-easy win of an employee fired for protecting herself from COVID-19 in a totally reasonable way.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-26-2020, 03:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: My mother got fired from her job for wearing a mask at work.... that seems unfair.

Sounds like a good lawsuit that should result in her favor.  Where does she work?

(03-26-2020, 01:33 PM)mal234 Wrote:

1) 85 year old mother

It could actually could be no for at least #2 and #3. From what I read/understand regarding this plan if someone is claiming the full time (and under 24 year old) students as dependents, the students won't get a payment. Dependents claimed on a return aren't going to get a check sent to them. 85 year old mom, might could get a stimulus payment. But that may depend on whether she's a dependent. 

Here's some more information that has come out that's related that will be of interest to a lot of people in the country. Especially people that owe student loans. The Secretary of Education Betsy Devos has said that people who owe federal student loans, who haven't filed their 2019 Tax Returns yet will not get those refunds taken this year. And for people that have already filed and had their refunds in the process of being taken on the March 13 date (the date the National Emergency was declared), will get their refunds given back to them. It's being reported that 1.8 Billion dollars in tax refunds will be given back to 830,000 people. 

This will definitely impact a lot of people. I've seen so many situations especially through work where people have gotten their tax refunds zapped due to owing federal student loans. Especially married couples with kids, where one person didn't know that the other person owed these loans. And they're refund (often times) of thousands of dollars (Sometimes several) is taken.

And then they may elect to file the injured spouse form, which will hold up the refund even longer. This will definitely be of relief to them. And as or right now the the Treasury can also not garnish wages due or social security checks due to student loans.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/s...s-families

Good info.  Thanks for the details and link

(03-26-2020, 04:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Sounds like a good lawsuit that should result in her favor.  Where does she work?

(03-26-2020, 01:33 PM)mal234 Wrote: It could actually could be no for at least #2 and #3. From what I read/understand regarding this plan if someone is claiming the full time (and under 24 year old) students as dependents, the students won't get a payment. Dependents claimed on a return aren't going to get a check sent to them. 85 year old mom, might could get a stimulus payment. But that may depend on whether she's a dependent. 

Here's some more information that has come out that's related that will be of interest to a lot of people in the country. Especially people that owe student loans. The Secretary of Education Betsy Devos has said that people who owe federal student loans, who haven't filed their 2019 Tax Returns yet will not get those refunds taken this year. And for people that have already filed and had their refunds in the process of being taken on the March 13 date (the date the National Emergency was declared), will get their refunds given back to them. It's being reported that 1.8 Billion dollars in tax refunds will be given back to 830,000 people. 

This will definitely impact a lot of people. I've seen so many situations especially through work where people have gotten their tax refunds zapped due to owing federal student loans. Especially married couples with kids, where one person didn't know that the other person owed these loans. And they're refund (often times) of thousands of dollars (Sometimes several) is taken.

And then they may elect to file the injured spouse form, which will hold up the refund even longer. This will definitely be of relief to them. And as or right now the the Treasury can also not garnish wages due or social security checks due to student loans.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/s...s-families

She hasn't got a case, there's no right to wear a mask at work.

(03-26-2020, 03:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Just curious... how old are the 85 year old mother's children?

in our 50's .... the ones referenced above are grandchildren --- that did look a bit strange referencing only mother and kids.

(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We should be using this enormous opportunity to help ICE find and deport illegals.

I just had a whacked out vision of Trump doing a press briefing on COVID-19 and proposing a 2 trillion dollar stimulus for ICE as the market crashes and burns.

My goodness, I would love to see him do that just to watch the responses!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-26-2020, 04:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 04:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Sounds like a good lawsuit that should result in her favor.  Where does she work?

She hasn't got a case, there's no right to wear a mask at work.

(03-26-2020, 03:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: in our 50's .... the ones referenced above are grandchildren --- that did look a bit strange referencing only mother and kids.

My goodness, I would love to see him do that just to watch the responses!

Yea, Florida's a Right to Work state.. but she worked for them for almost 30 years - so for me it's not so much a LEGAL issue necessarily as a loyalty issue - which I think matters in business.

I don't see eye to eye with my mother in many things... she only watches German news for example so she's freaked out to high heaven even though they have by far the lowest CFR in the world according to Johns Hopkins. But still.. she's 60, she just lost her husband (my dad) about 10 months ago and has never had to live life alone....

(03-26-2020, 02:15 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:11 PM)TJBender Wrote: That’s why I threw the political suicide bit in. If trump ordered ICE to use the pandemic as an excuse to round up undocumented immigrants, he’d be blasted across almost all of the American political spectrum. Besides, undocumented immigrants aren’t getting stimulus funds. You have to file with an SSN to get a check, not the ITIN they use.

Ugh.. liberal double speak.

It's ILLEGAL ALIEN.

Calling them undocumented is just a flat out lie.. they are illegally in this country.

Calling them an immigrant is also a flat out lie.. they illegally entered the country therefore they are an ALIEN.. an immigrant is someone that legally enters a country.

It's an especially hot topic for me because my mother is German and had to enter the US legally.

Two different things.
Undocumented only means they are here and did not present documents when questioned.  Maybe they came legally, but misplaced their documents.
As soon as authorities contact a suspect, they can see that the suspect is "undocumented."
When they are "rounded up," usually, they are undocumented.  The authorities usually don't even know their names yet.
The authorities have to investigate, ask questions, before they can determine that the suspect actually is an illegal immigrant or not.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

As for the stimulus, I could certainly use it, as it is significantly more than my monthly SS check.
But if there is a requirement to create a "digital dollar wallet" in order to receive or access the funds, I will pass.

(03-27-2020, 09:59 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: As for the stimulus, I could certainly use it, as it is significantly more than my monthly SS check.
But if there is a requirement to create a "digital dollar wallet" in order to receive or access the funds, I will pass.

It's not the digital wallet that concerns me, it's the tattoo they wanna put on your forehead or right hand.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 10:31 AM by homebiscuit.)

(03-27-2020, 10:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 09:59 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: As for the stimulus, I could certainly use it, as it is significantly more than my monthly SS check.

It's not the digital wallet that concerns me, it's the tattoo they wanna put on your forehead or right hand.

Why not? Millions are getting tattooed nowadays to be 'unique'.

[Image: CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.jpg]

https://youtu.be/wM1P7GMnd38

(03-27-2020, 11:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://youtu.be/wM1P7GMnd38

I bet people never saw Mike Judge as a prophet.

(03-27-2020, 11:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I bet people never saw Mike Judge as a prophet.

We never thought there were enough of you around to make him one.

(03-27-2020, 11:58 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 11:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I bet people never saw Mike Judge as a prophet.

Weak. Take something for that TDS man. It's getting out of control.

#NoCattleCars

(03-27-2020, 11:58 AM)TJBender Wrote:

Good one.  +10

(03-27-2020, 11:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://youtu.be/wM1P7GMnd38

The idea of tattoos or other identifying marks becoming mandatory under a future tyrannical government is much older than this movie...

(03-27-2020, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: The idea of tattoos or other identifying marks becoming mandatory under a future tyrannical government is much older than this movie...

[Image: 20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-...1125%2C475]