Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What's the story behind you becoming a Jaguars fan?

I just make poor decisions in life.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ahh man...

I lived in Middleburg when it was announced the Jags got the team. I was originally a Skins fan (we moved to Fl from NC in 90 when my old man retired from the military, they were the closest team). Both my folks were from Western Carolina so they naturally gravitated towards being Panthers fans and I just couldn't believe my home town had an NFL team. So I became a Jags fan. I still remember my dad watching the second season screaming at Brunell......he passed away on Dec 3rd 1995. Never got to see that AWESOME playoff run in 96.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM by MikePete54.)

I was a big basketball fan. Still is, but not as much as football.

In France, nobody cares American Football. It's all about soccer.
Back in 1997, the only thing that we had about the NFL, was 30 seconds highlights of every game on wednesday afternoon, and the scores in the sports news paper every thurdsay...better too late than never.
But sometimes, there was a NCAA game on tv ( saturday afternoon).

One day there was nothing to do, weather was terrible. But there was a game on TV : NCAA football. Well, I didn't know the rules or anything, but the uniforms were pretty cool.
There was a "little" guy, very quick, always running between the big guys. I was fascinated by this guy. I spend the whole game looking at him when he was on the field.
His team was Florida, and his name was Fred Taylor. I spend a loooooooot of time, trying to find thing about him, learning the rules etc... 
I made a promise to myself : I will follow the team that will draft this kid. 

Since we didn't have the internet and no news about the draft, I knew he was selected by the Jaguars the next thursday in the sports news paper.
Believe me or not, but coincidental, two days after I learned about it, my mom asked me to come with her to the flea market. 
We are walking through the alleys of the market, and I stopped : there was a lot of t-shirts, with rock bands on it, soccer players, singers etc....and there was 3 NFL t-shirts : cowboys, eagles and...jaguars !!! 

Thanks to the internet, I was able, years later, to watch old Jags games, learn about the history of the Franchise etc...

(03-26-2020, 04:11 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: I was a big basketball fan. Still is, but not as much as football.

In France, nobody cares American Football. It's all about soccer.
Back in 1997, the only thing that we had about the NFL, was 30 seconds highlights of every game on wednesday afternoon, and the scores in the sports news paper every thurdsay...better too late than never.
But sometimes, there was a NCAA game on tv ( saturday afternoon).

One day there was nothing to do, weather was terrible. But there was a game on TV : NCAA football. Well, I didn't know the rules or anything, but the uniforms were pretty cool.
There was a "little" guy, very quick, always running between the big guys. I was fascinated by this guy. I spend the whole game looking at him when he was on the field.
His team was Florida, and his name was Fred Taylor. I spend a loooooooot of time, trying to find thing about him, learning the rules etc... 
I made a promise to myself : I will follow the team that will draft this kid. 

Since we didn't have the internet and no news about the draft, I knew he was selected by the Jaguars the next thursday in the sports news paper.
Believe me or not, but coincidental, two days after I learned about it, my mom asked me to come with her to the flea market. 
We are walking through the alleys of the market, and I stopped : there was a lot of t-shirts, with rock bands on it, soccer players, singers etc....and there was 3 NFL t-shirts : cowboys, eagles and...jaguars !!! 

Thanks to the internet, I was able, years later, to watch old Jags games, learn about the history of the Franchise etc...

That's legitimately a cool story. Freddy T loved round the world!

(03-26-2020, 02:45 PM)Rico Wrote: Nothing better to do on Sundays.

What he said.

Living in Chicago, was always a huge NBA fan growing up in the 90's.

Never watched much of the Bears. The first NFL game I really took the time to watch was the Jags vs. Dolphins 62-7 playoff game. That + my name being Jack, it just randomly drew me to that team.

Been a fan ever since, unfortunately. But still ride & die with this team through it all.

I have a thing for emotionally abusive relationships

Mine was pretty random.

I'm italian and I live in Italy, soccer is everything here (huge fan by the way) and american football wasn't much talked about/televised at all.
Most games were the 49ers and so fans here mostly cared about them as they could watch them on tv.

It was the first or the second year of the Jaguars franchise and me and my dad had pay per view that year and decided against rooting for the more famous teams that everyone used to root for and to embrace the "new guys"..Jacksonville Jaguars.
We followed the team back then quite a bit when possible as it still wasn't televised much.
Then in early 2000s my dad passed away, [BLEEP] got bad in life and without football on tv I stopped following, not just the Jaguars but NFL entirely.
After a few years national tv started showing more games and I was back on board around 2013.
Never left since then and never missed a snap (from my couch of course lol) again.
Love following and every minute of it. (though the TNF games who start at 2.30 am here when we took beatings from the Titans made it really hard to resist the urge of just turning game pass off lol)

Grew up a Clowns fan, my dad loved them and would take us to games as kids.

Loved Bernie Kosar, as was so pissed when Bill Belichoke cut him, that I made the decision to never root for them again.

Bounced to San Diego for a couple of years, then the NFL announced that Jacksonville was getting a team.

This was going to be my team to follow forever.

I had been going to Florida every year since i was a little kid. We always went to Daytona Beach on vacation, and my dad almost transferred to Jacksonville for work,

Make it to a home game about every other year.

Make it two straight posts. Grew up in CLE, started following them during Marty Schottenheimer years. Loved watching Mack and Byner grind teams down while the Dawgs strangled offenses. Still hate Elway and the Broncs to this day. Hate Art Modell even more. The day they moved to Ballimer, I was done. I was a sophomore in college, in SE Ohio, so the only football we were afforded was either Pittsburgh (never ever never) or Cincy (who would do this to themselves?). I spent close to ten years not paying any mind to football. It sucked.

Married a girl up there, and her family lived in the armpit of Florida. Moved down here to be closer to her family. Everyone were gators, nobody paid any mind to Sunday ball. Got a divorce. Stayed in Florida, even though I had no real ties to the area outside of a decent enough job. Coworker was a STH, invited me to a few games, bought a 3-pack in 02 or 03. Got season tix the next year, and kept that going until I remarried and ended up too busy between multiple jobs, travel to and from games, and other commitments.

Enough can't be said about the value of Vic's column and the old Jungle for keeping me hungry. May not have been going to the games, but every day read about the latest signing, mock draft, or cap implication of every decision the team made. I lurked for ages, occasionally got a question posted by Vic, and stayed a fan through highs of playoff runs and lows of Gene Smith headscratcher picks and Gus Bradley's soft-serve defense. For all you long-time Jungle vets on this board, thank you for being a part of what kept me interested in a team that brought frustration more often than it brought elation.

(03-26-2020, 11:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I was at Colt Fever Night.  I was wanting a team long before we got one.  So of course when we got one, I gave my everlasting undying loyalty to it.

This is pretty much my story.  We were there when Godbold and Irsay landed in a helicopter on the old Gator Bowl field.  We endured lesser quality football with the Sharks, Express, and Bulls.  My family jumped in when Touchdown Jax was doing a season ticket sale to entice Wayne Weaver to get back into the mix for a franchise.  We've had season tickets ever since.  Any loyalties we had prior to 1993 got tossed out the window when we finally got our franchise.  I'll renew until I can't go any longer, or until the team plays all of their games in London.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Growing up, I was an Eagles fan due to living in Eastern Pa. I chose them over the Giants when, as a young child, they defeated the Packers in 1960 to win the NFL Championship. Unfortunately, their franchise got progressively worse with the exception of the years when Dick Vermeil was the coach. I moved to Jacksonville in the 1970's and it was a no-brainer to become a Jags fan their first season in 1995. I've had season tickets since 1995 and avidly follow the draft and free agency during the off-season.

I was very unhappy about the addition of a 2nd London game and the organization's explanation for this. They have extended the ticket order deadline to April 24 due to the virus and it is likely I will not renew to show my dis-pleasure with this decision. It's my intent to still attend some games this season and will most likely renew for the 2021-22 season. I am reluctantly optimistic about the future success of this team once all the rookies gain experience and Minshew continues to improve. This will be the only way that Khan will keep the team here for the longer term. If fans don't show up for 2 or 3 seasons, it is highly likely he'll move them to another city like St. Louis.

I was just a few years out of high school (Terry Parker) and had seen little blurbs on the local news about a group called "Touchdown Jacksonville." They were made up of a guy named Petway and a few other local notables and trying to convince the league to bring a team here. I learned of some rally downtown meant to demonstrate to the NFL how Jax might support a franchise.

I went. I cheered. I've been bought in since.