Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Rashan Gary Award Nominees?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2020, 11:59 PM by Bullseye.)

Last year during this time, we were doing the same thing that NFL fans all over the place do, namely give our opinions on players we like and don't like.  Last year, one guy stuck out to me as a near consensus guy that almost nobody on the board wanted in the first round-Rashan Gary.

So my question to you is what player or players do you NOT want the Jaguars to draft in the first round under ANY circumstances?

Mine are Mekhi Becton and Austin Jackson.

It's not that we couldn't use a LT.  We could definitely stand to upgrade the position.

But I have serious doubts about their ability to do that.

Even though he tested well, I have serious doubts about Becton's feet.  Usually when a guy is that big, he doesn't have quick enough feet, especially against speed rushers.  Furthermore, I wonder about his conditioning at that size, especially in the early season heat.  Even if he has good enough feet in the ist quarter, will he have the feet and technique in the 4th?

As for Jackson, he is woefully underpowered.  Anyone who saw his game against Iowa and Epenesa knows exactly what I am talking about.

Drafting those guys would set the Jaguars back immensely.

Who are your nominees?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Herbert and Love definitely

Any QB but Borrow
Wirfs
Diggs
Fulton

Brown Im kinda iffy on to be honest

(04-09-2020, 11:15 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Any QB but Borrow
Wirfs
Diggs
Fulton

This is a good list. Any QB but Burrow is same for me. I'd be happy with Wirfs, though, if they project him at LT. 

My top nominee is Wills. We don't need another right tackle. 

Also, Diggs, Fulton, Winfield, and Simmons (not a good scheme fit under Wash; plus linebacker is not a premium position).

Brown I'm iffy on, too. I'd just shrug my shoulders if they took him at #9. I wouldn't be jumping up and down, like if Okudah fell.

My dream, assuming Detroit picks Okudah, is that Caldwell pulls off a heist by trading down and getting more picks. I don't see much of a talent gap in projected players from #9-15ish.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Wirfs
Diggs
Fulton

What's the problem with Wirfs and Brown?

Ruggs III
Wirfs
A. Thomas
Chaisson
Epenesa

Any QB or RB in the first round. Obviously. Wouldn't want Chaisson as he is just so raw. We need someone who can contribute now. Don't want Wills, he is just a RT. Not a big fan of Jefferson either. If he drops to round 2, sure but not in round 1. I would say no LB but there is 0% chance they go LB unless Simmons falls.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Wills. Seems like a bust. Nothing spécial.
Tua, Herbert and Love.

Epenesa

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2020, 04:00 AM by knarnn.)

Bullseye, I would urge you to watch Becton’s game against Clemson when you get a chance. His feet is not an issue whatsoever. To be that big he’s pretty athletic. So much so that he was playing basketball for his high school team at 330 pounds and was pretty good I might add.

My do not want is pretty simple. I don’t want any QB at all in the first 3 rounds.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM by Mikey.)

(04-09-2020, 10:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Last year during this time, we were doing the same thing that NFL fans all over the place do, namely give our opinions on players we like and don't like.  Last year, one guy stuck out to me as a near consensus guy that almost nobody on the board wanted in the first round-Rashan Gary.

So my question to you is what player or players do you NOT want the Jaguars to draft in the first round under ANY circumstances?

It's not that we couldn't use a LT.  We could definitely stand to upgrade the position.

Even though he tested well, I have serious doubts about Becton's feet.  Usually when a guy is that big, he doesn't have quick enough feet, especially against speed rushers.  Furthermore, I wonder about his conditioning at that size, especially in the early season heat.  Even if he has good enough feet in the ist quarter, will he have the feet and technique in the 4th?

As for Jackson, he is woefully underpowered.  Anyone who saw his game against Iowa and Epenesa knows exactly what I am talking about.

Drafting those guys would set the Jaguars back immensely.

Who are your nominees?

Becton's size scares me. I would need serious buy-in from S&C/scouting to say he can reasonably drop some weight without losing strength before I take him, and that would only be at 20. Fear of lower leg injury completely ruining his potential is very concerning, as well.
Fulton scared me away in the NCG. Dude was playing so safe to avoid injury that he was missing plays. I don't want someone like that on the squad.
I don't want any WR who projects to the slot in the first.
I'm not keen on any of the pass rushers in the darft - Epenesa, Chaisson, Gross-Matos - they all seem like they have their flaws, and picking is more act of desperation to fill a need than getting good value out of a top pick

Wirfs
Diggs
Fulton

yeah, I should have added this to my list.

I don't want any QB early. There's zero chance Burrow is an option for us, so he's not even considered.

Becton is a good choice I'll say him too. Very few true pass sets and a shockingly high pressure rate on those. I love drafting upside as much as anyone but they have to be better currently if I'm considering them top 10.

Jalen Hurts. It's not him, it's what Caldwell would do to him. I'm thinking back to Denard Robinson here, where Caldwell drafted a college QB and tried to make him a position player. If he gets enamored with Hurts' physical gifts and tries to change his position, the results would be just as bad, but we'd be talking third-round pick instead of fifth. Possibly even worse, as Shoelace was much faster than Hurts ever was.

Also, more for his own good than anything else, Isiah Simmons. Best-case scenario, Wash runs him straight into the line of scrimmage every play and he's a total bust here who goes on to be a star in Seattle or New England. Worst case scenario, Caldwell tries to make him a free safety or something like that, playing him completely out of position until he leaves Jacksonville and becomes a star linebacker for the Patriots or Seahawks.

(04-10-2020, 03:59 AM)knarnn Wrote: Bullseye, I would urge you to watch Becton’s game against Clemson when you get a chance. His feet is not an issue whatsoever. To be that big he’s pretty athletic. So much so that he was playing basketball for his high school team at 330 pounds and was pretty good I might add.

My do not want is pretty simple. I don’t want any QB at all in the first 3 rounds.

I would caution that Clemson has a considerable recent history of flops at DE/Edge rusher.

Gaines Adams
DaQuan Bowers
Andre Branch
Vic Beasley
Shaq Lawson (though I think standing him up as a 3-4 OLB may have hurt him)
Kevin Dodd (See above)
Vic Beasley
and Clelin Ferrell was something of a disappointment as a rookie last year.

That, my previously stated criticisms, and those expressed by Mikey and Upper add to my concerns.

(04-11-2020, 10:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 03:59 AM)knarnn Wrote: Bullseye, I would urge you to watch Becton’s game against Clemson when you get a chance. His feet is not an issue whatsoever. To be that big he’s pretty athletic. So much so that he was playing basketball for his high school team at 330 pounds and was pretty good I might add.

I would caution that Clemson has a considerable recent history of flops at DE/Edge rusher.

Gaines Adams
DaQuan Bowers
Andre Branch
Vic Beasley
Kevin Dodd (See above)
Vic Beasley

That, my previously stated criticisms, and those expressed by Mikey and Upper add to my concerns.

Adams died, so let his legacy or lack thereof RIP. 
Branch resurrected himself a bit with the Fins
Beasley had a beastly season. Maybe he'll ball out again on his one-year prove-it deal. 
Ferrell was decent, still has potential. 
Dodd is a bust. 
Lawson is disappointing for sure. 

I guess all that matters is which players Becton was going against in that game and are they NFL caliber?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-12-2020, 12:39 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 10:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I would caution that Clemson has a considerable recent history of flops at DE/Edge rusher.

Gaines Adams
DaQuan Bowers
Andre Branch
Vic Beasley
Kevin Dodd (See above)
Vic Beasley

Adams died, so let his legacy or lack thereof RIP. 
Branch resurrected himself a bit with the Fins
Beasley had a beastly season. Maybe he'll ball out again on his one-year prove-it deal. 
Ferrell was decent, still has potential. 
Dodd is a bust. 
Lawson is disappointing for sure. 

I guess all that matters is which players Becton was going against in that game and are they NFL caliber?
I forgot that Adams died.  Didn't intend to spit on his grave/legacy.  
How did Branch resurrect his career with the fins?  His single season career high in sacks is still six and still with the Jaguars, and has a grand total of 11.5 sacks in three seasons with Miami, and didn't play last year.
Beasley did have one great year-his rookie season.  Since then has been a guy.
Granted it can take a minute for DEs to adjust.  Heck, J.J. Watt only had some 5 sacks his rookie year.  Still Ferrell only had one half sack more than Dante Fowler coming
off a torn ACL in 2016.

Your closing statement rings most true.

Justin Herbert
Jordan Love
C.J. Henderson
Jedrick Wills (He's a RT only)
K'Lavon Chaisson
Ross Blacklock
Trevon Diggs
Xavier McKinney
Isaiah Wilson
Jordan Elliott
Cam Dantzler
Raeqwon Davis
Jalen Reagor

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 05:15 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-19-2020, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Justin Herbert
Jordan Love
C.J. Henderson
Jedrick Wills (He's a RT only)
K'Lavon Chaisson
Ross Blacklock
Trevon Diggs
Xavier McKinney
Isaiah Wilson
Jordan Elliott
Cam Dantzler
Raeqwon Davis
Jalen Reagor

Sleeping on Henderson

(04-09-2020, 10:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Last year during this time, we were doing the same thing that NFL fans all over the place do, namely give our opinions on players we like and don't like.  Last year, one guy stuck out to me as a near consensus guy that almost nobody on the board wanted in the first round-Rashan Gary.

Though he reported to camp at 370, he seems to have made an early good impression.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-practice/