Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Berkey filters

(12-13-2020, 04:04 PM)Brett Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 02:30 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Hey Brett, we actually have the Big Berkey. Somehow I thought we had the Royal. YES, we still love it. Our water still tastes awesome coming through the filters. I make sure I clean the container at least once a month and have cleaned the filters once (there is instruction on cleaning the filters every six months to keep them fresh). I don't know who wouldn't like the system unless they're the same people who think a Kindle is going to be as good as an iPad. 

It is just the two of us and a cat and we do give the cat filtered water. I can't recommend it enough. My husband is a wastewater operator and the things he tells me that are still left in treated water simply because it can't be filtered out completely is scary. An example: imagine you are drinking the remnants of all the prescriptions people are taking, or flushing down the toilet. That freaks me out and we're on well water. Berkey filters out 99.99% or higher of heavy metals and other nasty stuff. 

So get it man! You won't be disappointed.

Ok thanks that helps! So you only have the Big Berkey which is 2.25 gallons? Also, did you add the fluoride filters or anything else or no? Glad to know you still like it since you got it in April.

Yep, Big Berkey. We didn't get the fluoride filters since we're on a well. If we had city water we'd definitely get those too. We're also only running on two filters instead of four and that works for us.They have a great sale going on. Get one at a good deal while you can.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-15-2020, 12:18 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 04:04 PM)Brett Wrote: Ok thanks that helps! So you only have the Big Berkey which is 2.25 gallons? Also, did you add the fluoride filters or anything else or no? Glad to know you still like it since you got it in April.

Yep, Big Berkey. We didn't get the fluoride filters since we're on a well. If we had city water we'd definitely get those too. We're also only running on two filters instead of four and that works for us.They have a great sale going on. Get one at a good deal while you can.

Thanks for your help and insight! What site did you get it from? I noticed there are several different ones.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2020, 02:42 PM by americus 2.0.)

(12-17-2020, 12:38 PM)Brett Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 12:18 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Yep, Big Berkey. We didn't get the fluoride filters since we're on a well. If we had city water we'd definitely get those too. We're also only running on two filters instead of four and that works for us.They have a great sale going on. Get one at a good deal while you can.

Thanks for your help and insight! What site did you get it from? I noticed there are several different ones.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

My husband told me if you buy one I should get a commission from the sale. Lol. 

Also, check out the scratch and dent section. A Big Berkey is $220 instead of $278. The blemishes they describe are miniscule according to those who have purchased them. The biggest difference is there is no warranty. I would have bought a S&D system but they had none in stock and I wanted to get one before they sold out which they did not long after I bought ours. I recommend the stainless steel spigot as well. The plastic one feels cheap. The biggest drawback for me is the flow rate of water. Our old Pur filter system spigot had much better flow than the Berkey, but it's not enough to deter me from having superior water to drink and cook with.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 12:18 PM by Brett.)

(12-17-2020, 02:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 12:38 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks for your help and insight! What site did you get it from? I noticed there are several different ones.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Also, check out the scratch and dent section. A Big Berkey is $220 instead of $278. The blemishes they describe are miniscule according to those who have purchased them. The biggest difference is there is no warranty. I would have bought a S&D system but they had none in stock and I wanted to get one before they sold out which they did not long after I bought ours. I recommend the stainless steel spigot as well. The plastic one feels cheap. The biggest drawback for me is the flow rate of water. Our old Pur filter system spigot had much better flow than the Berkey, but it's not enough to deter me from having superior water to drink and cook with.

Thanks! Do you have the stainless steel or plastic spigot? And when you say the biggest drawback for you is the flow rate of water....are you referring to how quickly the water gets filtered or how quickly the water comes out of that spigot? Because if you were referring to flow rate of water based off stainless steel spigot, I just read a review for the stainless steel spigot and someone said the flow rate of the stainless steel spigot is about a third less than the original plastic spigot. Unless you are just referring to flow rate of how quickly it's filtered. It seems like it's mixed opinions between the plastic and stainless steel spigot.

And what's your thoughts on the stainless steel stand? Did you include that as well or no? Thanks for your help!

(12-18-2020, 12:10 PM)Brett Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 02:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Thanks! Do you have the stainless steel or plastic spigot? And when you say the biggest drawback for you is the flow rate of water....are you referring to how quickly the water gets filtered or how quickly the water comes out of that spigot? Because if you were referring to flow rate of water based off stainless steel spigot, I just read a review for the stainless steel spigot and someone said the flow rate of the stainless steel spigot is about a third less than the original plastic spigot. Unless you are just referring to flow rate of how quickly it's filtered. It seems like it's mixed opinions between the plastic and stainless steel spigot.

And what's your thoughts on the stainless steel stand? Did you include that as well or no? Thanks for your help!
The flow rate comment is for the spigots. I have both spigots and the flow rate on both is less than desirable IMHO but the stainless one looks better and feels more solid so I use it and keep the plastic one aside just in case. 

The 2 filters will filter 2.25 gallons of water in about an hour (four filters would be faster, of course). Probably faster but I don't actually time it, I just know when I fill it up I can go back an hour later and have a full tank of water. We always empty it then fill the top all the way so we're using the entire length of the filters. My husband prefers cold water so he'll fill up his old Pur 1.5 gallon tank he keeps in the fridge and between that and what I've already used throughout the day it's ready to be completely filled again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2020, 07:35 PM by Brett.)

(12-18-2020, 03:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 12:10 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks! Do you have the stainless steel or plastic spigot? And when you say the biggest drawback for you is the flow rate of water....are you referring to how quickly the water gets filtered or how quickly the water comes out of that spigot? Because if you were referring to flow rate of water based off stainless steel spigot, I just read a review for the stainless steel spigot and someone said the flow rate of the stainless steel spigot is about a third less than the original plastic spigot. Unless you are just referring to flow rate of how quickly it's filtered. It seems like it's mixed opinions between the plastic and stainless steel spigot.

The flow rate comment is for the spigots. I have both spigots and the flow rate on both is less than desirable IMHO but the stainless one looks better and feels more solid so I use it and keep the plastic one aside just in case. 

The 2 filters will filter 2.25 gallons of water in about an hour (four filters would be faster, of course). Probably faster but I don't actually time it, I just know when I fill it up I can go back an hour later and have a full tank of water. We always empty it then fill the top all the way so we're using the entire length of the filters. My husband prefers cold water so he'll fill up his old Pur 1.5 gallon tank he keeps in the fridge and between that and what I've already used throughout the day it's ready to be completely filled again.

Ok thanks....we just purchased a Big Berkey and I'm still in shock I made such a big purchase lol. I'm kind of frugal so it's tough to pay out that much money but hopefully it will be worth it. We didn't purchase the stainless steel spigot but I just figured we could buy it later if we needed. By the way, is it super hard to upkeep and set up? And do you have the stand? We didn't purchase that either.

Also, what do you do if say you are gone for an extended time period such as several days or a week, etc. Would you just leave the whole tank completely empty during that time or do you also have to take out the filters during that time? Lastly, do you have a priming instructional video or something you like the best? And do you have to prime it just once when you get it and that's it or later on years down the road at numerous times too?

Thanks!

(12-20-2020, 06:34 PM)Brett Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 03:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The flow rate comment is for the spigots. I have both spigots and the flow rate on both is less than desirable IMHO but the stainless one looks better and feels more solid so I use it and keep the plastic one aside just in case. 

Ok thanks....we just purchased a Big Berkey and I'm still in shock I made such a big purchase lol. I'm kind of frugal so it's tough to pay out that much money but hopefully it will be worth it. We didn't purchase the stainless steel spigot but I just figured we could buy it later if we needed. By the way, is it super hard to upkeep and set up? And do you have the stand? We didn't purchase that either.

Also, what do you do if say you are gone for an extended time period such as several days or a week, etc. Would you just leave the whole tank completely empty during that time or do you also have to take out the filters during that time? Lastly, do you have a priming instructional video or something you like the best? And do you have to prime it just once when you get it and that's it or later on years down the road at numerous times too?

Thanks!

I'll update you tomorrow. I was also in shock buying a water filtration system for the money we paid (no sales when we bought ours) but man, as soon as I tasted the water I was sold all over again.