Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What sort of CB do we need?

There are all sorts of cornerbacks available in this draft, but I wondered what sort of player we should be targeting?

The obvious answer is "a good one", but as we have seen from the analysis of the Jaguars previous OL selections, they probably have a type of player they like and who will fit their scheme best.

So is it a big physical type?  A fast coverage guy?  Are there measurables Caldwell typically looks for?

And based on that, which players are the ideal fits for us?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I want a guy who excels at the technique we desire in our defense. If we are a zone team, the guy better be good at zone.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Basing it off past draft picks/udfa he definitely likes length. Jags also run alot of press 3 so physicality at the line and deep speed.

(04-22-2020, 10:02 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Basing it off past draft picks/udfa he definitely likes length. Jags also run alot of press 3 so physicality at the line and deep speed.

This. No corners under 6 feet. I don't care how scrappy or feisty they are -- you can find those guys as undrafted free agents. The talented 6 footers who can run must come in the draft.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Big, physical, decent speed and excellent technique. Someone who takes minimal risks, plays within the system and gets the job done, while keeping his mouth shut. That's what I look for. No more guys with borderline personality disorders.

(04-22-2020, 11:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Big, physical, decent speed and excellent technique. Someone who takes minimal risks, plays within the system and gets the job done, while keeping his mouth shut. That's what I look for. No more guys with borderline personality disorders.

Haha yes. There's only room in the league for a couple of diva corners -- Richard Sherman and Jalen -- guys who've established themselves, and certainly no rookies should be that way. We need guys who take pleasure in slapping shut the mouths of yappy diva receivers.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-22-2020, 11:26 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 10:02 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Basing it off past draft picks/udfa he definitely likes length. Jags also run alot of press 3 so physicality at the line and deep speed.

This. No corners under 6 feet. I don't care how scrappy or feisty they are -- you can find those guys as undrafted free agents. The talented 6 footers who can run must come in the draft.

Yep. Give me a Dave Thomas type of corner all day. A player that can make WRs earn every yard, and a guy that can come up a hit stick a cause turnovers in run support.

(04-22-2020, 08:39 AM)Andy G Wrote: There are all sorts of cornerbacks available in this draft, but I wondered what sort of player we should be targeting?

The obvious answer is "a good one", but as we have seen from the analysis of the Jaguars previous OL selections, they probably have a type of player they like and who will fit their scheme best.

So is it a big physical type?  A fast coverage guy?  Are there measurables Caldwell typically looks for?

And based on that, which players are the ideal fits for us?

Good topic.

Even though we are supposed to be running some more 3-4 looks, since 2013 we have been running a derivative of the Seattle scheme.  They typically look for CBs with length-over 6'.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think I agree with the "tall physical type" preference.

So to follow that up, which players best fit that prototype?

(04-23-2020, 03:08 AM)Andy G Wrote: I think I agree with the "tall physical type" preference.

Diggs,Hall,Henderson,Okudah,and Terrell are all 6'1

Dantzler is 6'2

Physicality(press coverage) just out of those 5

Terrell,Okudah, Hall, Diggs, and Dantzler

Willing in run support(least important)

Okudah and Diggs

Physicality in routes(jump balls and etc.)

Okudah,Henderson,Hall,and Terrell

(04-23-2020, 05:32 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:08 AM)Andy G Wrote: I think I agree with the "tall physical type" preference.

Diggs,Hall,Henderson,Okudah,and Terrell are all 6'1

Dantzler is 6'2

Okudah and Diggs

Good list

So based on that, Okudah, Terrell or Hall?

(04-23-2020, 11:44 AM)Andy G Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 05:32 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Diggs,Hall,Henderson,Okudah,and Terrell are all 6'1

Dantzler is 6'2

Okudah and Diggs

Good list

So based on that, Okudah, Terrell or Hall?

I personally love Bryce Hall, he's one of my dides this draft

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 03:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Either this guy......

[Image: 73a4d86b-8a13-4ee4-b29f-08f26f8d3494_750x422.jpg]

or this guy.........

[Image: 205639143_725.jpg]

Some interesting takes throughout this, but Kollman suggest the Jags take Fulton from LSU. I've heard some other pundits high on him as well.

(#20 pick is at 1:16:23. Won't accept the timed start in the forum.)

(04-23-2020, 03:55 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Some interesting takes throughout this, but Kollman suggest the Jags take Fulton from LSU. I've heard some other pundits high on him as well.

(#20 pick is at 1:16:23. Won't accept the timed start in the forum.)

I like Fulton, but I don't know if he can be "the guy". I think he's gonna need to play opposite someone very good to form a shutdown tandem, kinda like Bouye was to Ramsey. Right now, our cupboard is empty at CB. On his own though, Fulton might be kinda average. Not bad, but not like what you would think of in a 1st round pick.

(04-22-2020, 11:49 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 11:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Big, physical, decent speed and excellent technique. Someone who takes minimal risks, plays within the system and gets the job done, while keeping his mouth shut. That's what I look for. No more guys with borderline personality disorders.

Haha yes. There's only room in the league for a couple of diva corners -- Richard Sherman and Jalen -- guys who've established themselves, and certainly no rookies should be that way. We need guys who take pleasure in slapping shut the mouths of yappy diva receivers.

How did that work out for us?  Guys like Jalen are all the same, when the losses start piling up the talk gets turned inward, teammates, management coaching...…..

Save "diva" for the princess and give me "professional" football players.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.