Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lageman and Frangie Talk Draft

On this afternoon's Frank Frangie radio show, Lageman gave his thoughts on the upcoming draft.  I will give a summary, and once 1010XL provides a link to the segment, I will post it if I don't fall asleep.

Of the three top WRs, he preferrs Lamb over  Jeudy and Ruggs, comparing him in part to Michael Irvin (I don't see much of that at all), and lauding his run after the catch skills.

He thinks the team should absolutely look at QB in the first round.  He said it would be crazy to commit to Minshew based upon the small sample of work, even though he said Minshew exceeded expectations.  He really liked Tua, and said he would not hesitate to take Jordan Love if he is there at 20.  He does not like Herbert.  Basically, until you know you have your franchise guy, you have to keep looking.

Lageman states the CB class isn't as depleted as you might think, and that you should be able to get a quality guy at or near 20.

He saved his biggest and most enthusiastic praise for the top two DTs, Brown and Kinlaw.  When asked if he would take either at 9, he said "Hell yeah!"  He said rarely do you see a man among boys when watching tape, but you get that with these two guys, who can ragdoll opposing OL.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I feel like Safety is a must. And with 12 picks, we should come away with at least 1 QB in any round.

(04-22-2020, 05:33 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I feel like Safety is a must. And with 12 picks, we should come away with at least 1 QB in any round.

Thanks for reminding me.  Lageman said FS was a need, but he didn't see any game changers in this draft...none like Reed or Polamalu.

Delpit is no Reed or Polamalu, but I think he is a good guy with good ball skills.

(04-22-2020, 05:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 05:33 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I feel like Safety is a must. And with 12 picks, we should come away with at least 1 QB in any round.

Thanks for reminding me.  Lageman said FS was a need, but he didn't see any game changers in this draft...none like Reed or Polamalu.

Delpit is no Reed or Polamalu, but I think he is a good guy with good ball skills.

So you dont see a guy that is like the 2 best safeties to ever play the game so you shouldnt draft one?  lol
I think Winfield will be an All Pro or a Pro Bowl player at the very least.

(04-22-2020, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 05:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks for reminding me.  Lageman said FS was a need, but he didn't see any game changers in this draft...none like Reed or Polamalu.

So you dont see a guy that is like the 2 best safeties to ever play the game so you shouldnt draft one?  lol
I think Winfield will be an All Pro or a Pro Bowl player at the very least.

I was going to say, that’s quite a high benchmark that Lageman has set there! I don’t see Aaron Donald or Darrelle Revis so we might just as well trade out of the first round entirely.

Lageman also liked Penn State Edge rusher yetur Gross-Matoa.

His thoughts on QB are mine as well. Can’t throw your eggs in the Minshew basket and then what happens if the Jags end up with pick 3 next year with Lawrence and Fields going 1 and 2?

You can’t pass on Tua if he’s there.

Here is the link.

https://soundcloud.com/user-145697181/ja...ow-4-22-20

(04-22-2020, 07:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: His thoughts on QB are mine as well. Can’t throw your eggs in the Minshew basket and then what happens if the Jags end up with pick 3 next year with Lawrence and Fields going 1 and 2?

What happens if you draft Tua at 9 and his rookie year isnt that good?  You would take Fields or Lawrence next year?

(04-22-2020, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 07:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: His thoughts on QB are mine as well. Can’t throw your eggs in the Minshew basket and then what happens if the Jags end up with pick 3 next year with Lawrence and Fields going 1 and 2?

What happens if you draft Tua at 9 and his rookie year isnt that good?  You would take Fields or Lawrence next year?

That is a tough question for many reasons.

Is Tua's rookie year not good because of injury?

Is it not good because the team decided to take it sow with him and develop him?

Is it not good because he had no help?

Did the coach and GM change after this year?  If so, who replaced him? 

Where are we situated in the draft order?  How many picks do we have and where are they?

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 09:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

We need a trade like this, classic lol

https://twitter.com/BFawkesESPN/status/1...69729?s=20

(04-22-2020, 09:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What happens if you draft Tua at 9 and his rookie year isnt that good?  You would take Fields or Lawrence next year?

That is a tough question for many reasons.

Is Tua's rookie year not good because of injury?

Is it not good because the team decided to take it sow with him and develop him?

Is it not good because he had no help?

Did the coach and GM change after this year?  If so, who replaced him? 

Where are we situated in the draft order?  How many picks do we have and where are they?
I'm saying a healthy Tua

Jags dont have enough help?   Mishew led every important  rookie QB stat ?

If he doesn't look good in his rookie year you draft another QB?

What did Minshew have to do last year to earn a full year as starter in your opinion? Winning 6 games in a pretty poor situation imo and leading almost every rookie QB stat is enough i think.

He would have to at least put up more wins, better stats, and look better than Minshew did right? Or do you just like the hype?

Lageman has been on the QB train all offseason. It's pretty obvious Lageman doesnt think Minshew can be the guy. And if you think Tua is good enough for 9, then you should trade up and get him. If Tua is worthy of a top10 pick then you think he is good enough to be a franchise guy. And if you dont think we have a franchise guy, then you should trade up to make sure you get one. Not sure you should just wait around for the 9th pick hoping your franchise QB falls to you.

(04-22-2020, 09:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We need a trade like this, classic lol

What is crazy is that it didn't really help the Redskins that much.

(04-22-2020, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

If we drafted Tua, I wouldn't even let him sniff the field in 2020. I make sure the O-Line is much improved and make sure Tua is completely healthy first. No matter how good he might look in the preseason, I give Minshew the entire 2020 season to see how much he has improved and a completely healthy Tua would then compete for the starting job in 2021, behind a much improved (hopefully) offensive line with some very good, young WR's and probably a rookie RB. RB is low on my priority list this season, even if Fournette is traded. A RB is only as good as his O-Line and the O-Line is gonna be the priority, before I target rusher in the early rounds.

(04-22-2020, 11:30 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We need a trade like this, classic lol

What is crazy is that it didn't really help the Redskins that much.

Exactly!

Lots of teams that got these huge jackpot of picks can't capitalize on them to the point they are annual playoff contenders.

Tua is the ultimate risk/reward player in this draft. Few question his skill-set, character and leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes another Drew Brees (remember when only 2 teams wanted him (Miami and New Orleans) following his injury. On the other hand, he could easily end up out of the league in 3 years due to injuries. Do Caldwell and Marrone risk this in what is a "do or die" season for them? Although they will be very tempted to move up and take him, I can't see it happening. They will surround Minshew with more weapons and see what he can do. That's why one of my first rounders would definitely be a receiver and I'd take another one in the 4th if someone like K.J. Hill falls.

(04-22-2020, 11:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What happens if you draft Tua at 9 and his rookie year isnt that good?  You would take Fields or Lawrence next year?

If we drafted Tua, I wouldn't even let him sniff the field in 2020. I make sure the O-Line is much improved and make sure Tua is completely healthy first. No matter how good he might look in the preseason, I give Minshew the entire 2020 season to see how much he has improved and a completely healthy Tua would then compete for the starting job in 2021, behind a much improved (hopefully) offensive line with some very good, young WR's and probably a rookie RB. RB is low on my priority list this season, even if Fournette is traded. A RB is only as good as his O-Line and the O-Line is gonna be the priority, before I target rusher in the early rounds.

Abso-freaking-lutely right!

Sewell and Chase in 2021? To go along with Tua, Chark and Ruggs?

Ballin.

Hey OLM,
Do you think at this point the Dolphins improved their OL enough to play Tua early?

They addressed the OL twice early.  Whether they addressed it adequately to justify playing Tua early is another matter.

I am not getting into the possible Covid cancellations, but assuming a complete season, I sit Tua for at least half a season, until I can make a reasonable guess as to how competent they are. 

Mid season at the earliest.