Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3-4 defense

Two questions - 

1) I've seen some on this board saying so, but has there been any word from the coaches that we're switching to something more like a 3-4 defense?

2) we know Myles was lost playing 4-3 MLB last year, and people were saying he's better as a 4-3 outside LB.  Does Myles fit as a 3-4 ILB? Because I'd assume the thought is that Allen is one of the OLBs and Chaisson/Yannick is the other.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

I don't how? We need more 3 4 ends. We have the LBs to pull it off though
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

This team doesn't have the personnel to play 3-4 full time. They might scheme up some hybrid looks again this year, but they don't have the right kind of linemen to make it work. They also don't have enough linebackers to make it work full time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

yeah I think we will see some different looks this year, but I cannot see Walsh changing from a base 4-3

This has gotta be the fourth thread on this

It’ll be a 4-3 with some 3-4 looks like it always has been with Wash

While Caldwell did indicate that some of those concepts were in their plans on Thursday, Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone confirmed the transition on Friday. When asked if the team would be more of a 3-4 defense next season, Marrone answered with an affirmative, “yes”.

“I think for sure on base downs, you will see more of our SAM linebacker on the ball.”

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/4/25/...on-defense

(04-27-2020, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This team doesn't have the personnel to play 3-4 full time. They might scheme up some hybrid looks again this year, but they don't have the right kind of linemen to make it work. They also don't have enough linebackers to make it work full time.

(04-27-2020, 02:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This has gotta be the fourth thread on this

It’ll be a 4-3 with some 3-4 looks like it always has been with Wash

(04-27-2020, 03:53 PM)Kane Wrote: While Caldwell did indicate that some of those concepts were in their plans on Thursday, Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone confirmed the transition on Friday. When asked if the team would be more of a 3-4 defense next season, Marrone answered with an affirmative, “yes”.

“I think for sure on base downs, you will see more of our SAM linebacker on the ball.”

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5518161]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-27-2020, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This team doesn't have the personnel to play 3-4 full time. They might scheme up some hybrid looks again this year, but they don't have the right kind of linemen to make it work. They also don't have enough linebackers to make it work full time.
It won't be a good defense but they have enough linemen to play a 3-4 front, Woods is a nose, Gunter can be a base end, so can Hamilton

(04-27-2020, 03:53 PM)Kane Wrote: While Caldwell did indicate that some of those concepts were in their plans on Thursday, Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone confirmed the transition on Friday. When asked if the team would be more of a 3-4 defense next season, Marrone answered with an affirmative, “yes”.

Base downs = 30% of defensive snaps

This team doesn't have the Defensive Coordinator to play a 3-4.

/rimshot

Please tip your wait staff, I'm here all night.

Honestly if all of a sudden with restricted practices, extra covid precautions and all the crazy stuff going on, I don't know how we will be any good with new plans. I think the staff and front office is going to get a pass with this extra stuff as cover. Honestly I never believed that any of these folks were on a 1 year win or else anyway.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Will people please stop calling Wash a bad coach. You have ni idea what goes behind the scenes and you don't know how much of it is bad coaching or how much of it is players not being in the right spot according to their assignment. Maybe this is thre coach in me but it is hard ro judge a coach by just what happens on game day.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-27-2020, 05:29 PM)Dimson Wrote: Will people please stop calling Wash a bad coach. You have ni idea what goes behind the scenes and you don't know how much of it is bad coaching or how much of it is players not being in the right spot according to their assignment. Maybe this is thre coach in me but it is hard ro judge a coach by just what happens on game day.

this is awful analysis. he gets continually pencil whipped by any half way decent offensive mind, the players are  never in the right spots, the players have openly and routinely questioned his moves, he doesn't know when to use certain types of coverages, he goes to prevent as soon as they get a lead etc etc 

He is quite literally directly responsible for what the players do on gameday....its his job!

+1

(04-27-2020, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 05:29 PM)Dimson Wrote: Will people please stop calling Wash a bad coach. You have ni idea what goes behind the scenes and you don't know how much of it is bad coaching or how much of it is players not being in the right spot according to their assignment. Maybe this is thre coach in me but it is hard ro judge a coach by just what happens on game day.

this is awful analysis. he gets continually pencil whipped by any half way decent offensive mind, the players are  never in the right spots, the players have openly and routinely questioned his moves, he doesn't know when to use certain types of coverages, he goes to prevent as soon as they get a lead etc etc 

He is quite literally directly responsible for what the players do on gameday....its his job!

Thank You. Sorry but he's not getting anymore excuses or free passes around here. His ineptitude on defense has been well known now for years and there were plenty of grumblings coming out of that locker room even when they had the talent. 

He's a lame duck coach that shouldn't be calling any plays defensively. He needs to go back to coaching just a defensive line elsewhere and rethink and retool his approach to the game. Because it's lacking significantly. You can only pull that "It's Jimmy's and Joe's not X's and O's" B.S mantra for so long.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-27-2020, 04:13 PM)JackCity Wrote:
It won't be a good defense but they have enough linemen to play a 3-4 front, Woods is a nose, Gunter can be a base end, so can Hamilton

I'm hoping Hamilton takes over the nose/1-T starter role with Woods as backup. Bryan, Gunter, and maybe Smoot at DE.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-27-2020, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:

So you are saying he only has a job because he is a terrible coach. Nice analysis there.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2020, 06:03 PM by MalabarJag.)

(04-27-2020, 05:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: this is awful analysis. he gets continually pencil whipped by any half way decent offensive mind, the players are  never in the right spots, the players have openly and routinely questioned his moves, he doesn't know when to use certain types of coverages, he goes to prevent as soon as they get a lead etc etc 

Thank You. Sorry but he's not getting anymore excuses or free passes around here. His ineptitude on defense has been well known now for years and there were plenty of grumblings coming out of that locker room even when they had the talent. 

He's a lame duck coach that shouldn't be calling any plays defensively. He needs to go back to coaching just a defensive line elsewhere and rethink and retool his approach to the game. Because it's lacking significantly. You can only pull that "It's Jimmy's and Joe's not X's and O's" B.S mantra for so long.

Right! The one season the Jags defense was good there was a Pro Bowl caliber player at pretty much every position, and he still couldn't stop NE when it mattered most. Hey, the one time early in the 4th quarter we blitzed and Brady threw an incompletion. Better not try that again! 

We've had DCs who have done a lot more with far less than Wash had in 2018.

(04-27-2020, 05:56 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 05:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: this is awful analysis. he gets continually pencil whipped by any half way decent offensive mind, the players are  never in the right spots, the players have openly and routinely questioned his moves, he doesn't know when to use certain types of coverages, he goes to prevent as soon as they get a lead etc etc 

So you are saying he only has a job because he is a terrible coach. Nice analysis there.

He's a great defensive line coach, by far the best we've ever had.

As a DC he was an improvement over Babich, but that's dividing by zero. Why he still has a job I have no clue. Probably loyalty from Marrone, or cluelessness from Khan.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2020, 06:36 PM by JackCity.)

(04-27-2020, 05:56 PM)Dimson Wrote:

No he only has a job because Marrone (who is also a bad coach) didn't want to scapegoat him , unless you are trying to say any coach with a job is actually good because he has a job? try keep up

(04-27-2020, 05:52 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 04:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: It won't be a good defense but they have enough linemen to play a 3-4 front, Woods is a nose, Gunter can be a base end, so can Hamilton

I'm hoping Hamilton takes over the nose/1-T starter role with Woods as backup. Bryan, Gunter, and maybe Smoot at DE.

I'd rather have the vet with lots experience as starting nose, especially if the base is going to more 3-4. Hamilton can put more pressure from the base ends, on 3rd down I'd play Hamilton and Bryan inside most likely with Smoot/Gunter rotating in

(04-27-2020, 06:34 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 05:56 PM)Dimson Wrote: So you are saying he only has a job because he is a terrible coach. Nice analysis there.

No he only has a job because Marrone (who is also a bad coach) didn't want to scapegoat him , unless you are trying to say any coach with a job is actually good because he has a job? try keep up

(04-27-2020, 05:52 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: I'm hoping Hamilton takes over the nose/1-T starter role with Woods as backup. Bryan, Gunter, and maybe Smoot at DE.

I'd rather have the vet with lots experience as starting nose, especially if the base is going to more 3-4. Hamilton can put more pressure from the base ends, on 3rd down I'd play Hamilton and Bryan inside most likely with Smoot/Gunter rotating in

I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: No he only has a job because Marrone (who is also a bad coach) didn't want to scapegoat him , unless you are trying to say any coach with a job is actually good because he has a job? try keep up

I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

fun fact: theres plenty of bad coaches who have had two head coaching jobs, some have even had three or four!