Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3-4 defense

(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: No he only has a job because Marrone (who is also a bad coach) didn't want to scapegoat him , unless you are trying to say any coach with a job is actually good because he has a job? try keep up

I'd rather have the vet with lots experience as starting nose, especially if the base is going to more 3-4. Hamilton can put more pressure from the base ends, on 3rd down I'd play Hamilton and Bryan inside most likely with Smoot/Gunter rotating in

I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

Hue Jackson

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: No he only has a job because Marrone (who is also a bad coach) didn't want to scapegoat him , unless you are trying to say any coach with a job is actually good because he has a job? try keep up

I'd rather have the vet with lots experience as starting nose, especially if the base is going to more 3-4. Hamilton can put more pressure from the base ends, on 3rd down I'd play Hamilton and Bryan inside most likely with Smoot/Gunter rotating in

I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

I know Gus Bradley is an awful Head Coach but a good defensive coordinator.  It is possible Wash is more capable than I think but not here and not for this team.

I hope I can eat crow but it doesn't look good.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(04-27-2020, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This team doesn't have the personnel to play 3-4 full time. They might scheme up some hybrid looks again this year, but they don't have the right kind of linemen to make it work. They also don't have enough linebackers to make it work full time.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh flashbacks of OTTO haunt me

(04-27-2020, 04:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 03:53 PM)Kane Wrote: While Caldwell did indicate that some of those concepts were in their plans on Thursday, Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone confirmed the transition on Friday. When asked if the team would be more of a 3-4 defense next season, Marrone answered with an affirmative, “yes”.

“I think for sure on base downs, you will see more of our SAM linebacker on the ball.”

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/4/25/...on-defense

Base downs = 30% of defensive snaps

Cool.
Wasn't negating anything anyone else said. Just adding info and providing the OP with what he requested a link to the question about have there been any coaches that have said as much (switching to a 3-4)
I think it's very possible they are gearing up to make the switch full time but will take more than the off season to make the switch.

I mean in today's NFL teams play in nickel more than most downs anyway. Nickel is almost the new base package for most teams. But yeah, I can see a full tilt toward 34 happening.
Of course, if they are all [BLEEP] canned next off season, all of their plans go up in smoke.

(04-27-2020, 10:27 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Dimson Wrote: I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

I know Gus Bradley is an awful Head Coach but a good defensive coordinator.  It is possible Wash is more capable than I think but not here and not for this team.

I hope I can eat crow but it doesn't look good.

To be fair, I don’t see any coaches succeeding in this organization the last few years the way things have gone with Iron Fist Coughlin and the locker room issues. Maybe things will clean up this year with a fresh slate but it can’t all be on the coaches.

I hope he turns into a great compliment to Josh Allen.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2020, 09:20 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-27-2020, 09:17 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Dimson Wrote: I am saying you don't really know if he is a good coach or not. Yes he has made his mistakes, but you don't get 2 head coaching jobs if you are a bad coach.

Hue Jackson

See also:  Rich Kotite, Ray Perkins, and Marion Campbelll.

Even if you don't think Wash is an awful coach, there is a legitimate question of why, if Marrone was thinking of using more 3-4 concepts, he wouldn't bring an experienced 3-4 coach to help implement the concepts, even if it's as a "consultant." like Capers was.

Did Wash get taught by Capers and take notes?

For that matter, I wonder what kind of 3-4 concepts they will run?  Would it be the Steelers/Capers style of 3-4 featuring lots of zone blitz concepts, a more traditional 3-4, or what?

Thinking about it more, I recall pwrt of an interview with Caldwell where he indicated the Titans are the team he is shooting for in the division.

Considering we have been unable to to stop Derrick Henry, especially on outside runs, I wonder if switching to a 3-4 is a way to accomplish that.

WIth the 3-4, typically bigger OLBs than Telvin Smith and Q. Williams are utilized, and typically slgned outside DEs in 4-3 alignments. Based on the guys we have now, Josh Allen is 270 lbs., Chaisson is 254, and if Yan somehow manages to remain on the roster and playing for us and not holding out, Yan is in the 240-250 range.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...90592?s=20

I feel like I've been saying this over and over again, but there you have it from Wash's own mouth.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 01:54 PM by mal234.)

(06-12-2020, 01:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...90592?s=20

I feel like I've been saying this over and over again, but there you have it from Wash's own mouth.

Here is some more comments from the conference call that Todd Wash did today with the media. Wash says the plan was for the defense to get more athletic and younger (From Eugene Frenette's Twitter)

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...5014032387

But then he also makes this comment about the young defense:

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...9874311174

And here is also a comment made by Doug Marrone today about the defense and the team's plans for it:

Quote:Marrone says #Jaguars wanted to increase “multiplicity in front mechanics” in deciding to go to 3-4 defense elements. Impressive.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 07:51 PM by Eric1.)

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1271558897401163776

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...2603337729

(04-27-2020, 02:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...

It’ll be a 4-3 with some 3-4 looks like it always has been with Wash

Sticking by this comment from April  ^

It doesn’t matter what kind of defense we run. As long as Todd Wash is DC, we will get torched and ran all over.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 11:35 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

Wash only knows has extensive experience with Seattle 4 3, cover 3 zone,. Is Googling, how to run a 3,4 defense. We are doomed.

(06-13-2020, 11:08 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: It doesn’t matter what kind of defense we run. As long as Todd Wash is DC, we will get torched and ran all over.

2017 called. 

Begs to differ.  (2nd in the league in pts allowed and yds allowed) 

Anyway, this isn't 2017.  And Wash will be hard pressed to field a defense that ranks above 20th in those stats this year IMO.

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/127250...13856?s=20

I think the question marks around Wash's schematic tweaks and the unknowns on the defensive roster are huge issues this year for this team.
And by "huge" I mean that this season's record may very well follow a parallel path to this defense's performance.

Not looking good as Wash is a one trick pony and has been stated that the defense he runs is good for a lot of teams but not the best.

IMO, the success and effectiveness of most defenses in the NFL are largely the players, not the positions or scheme. Although young, this defense has added some solid talent, upgrading a number of positions from the healthy squad that played the majority of snaps lasts season. I do think Todd Wash and his schemes have the ability to be successful.

(06-17-2020, 12:48 PM)ATLjag Wrote: IMO, the success and effectiveness of most defenses in the NFL are largely the players, not the positions or scheme.  Although young, this defense has added some solid talent, upgrading a number of positions from the healthy squad that played the majority of snaps lasts season.  I do think Todd Wash and his schemes have the ability to be successful.

To me it is more game planning and players than scheme. You can make any scheme work as long as you have the players to run it and you have a proper game plan for the teams you are facing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(06-17-2020, 12:56 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 12:48 PM)ATLjag Wrote: IMO, the success and effectiveness of most defenses in the NFL are largely the players, not the positions or scheme.  Although young, this defense has added some solid talent, upgrading a number of positions from the healthy squad that played the majority of snaps lasts season.  I do think Todd Wash and his schemes have the ability to be successful.

To me it is more game planning and players than scheme. You can make any scheme work as long as you have the players to run it and you have a proper game plan for the teams you are facing.

In 2017 it was lack of injuries. We got lucky.

(06-17-2020, 03:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 12:56 PM)Dimson Wrote: To me it is more game planning and players than scheme. You can make any scheme work as long as you have the players to run it and you have a proper game plan for the teams you are facing.

In 2017 it was lack of injuries. We got lucky.

Our 2017 defense was stacked with so much talent I think we could have ran any scheme and been good. 3 stud CBs, a loaded DL, very good LB starting trio, solid at worst safeties.

I don't think Wash has changed up his defensive scheme and game planning much since then, maybe a tweak here and there. But our overall talent has dwindled quite a bit.