Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Andy Dalton?

(04-30-2020, 03:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 03:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So let me get this straight. Coming off a season where we had an OC and QB that won a SB together and knew the system and all that stuff but because of Minshew it got all messed up.

We now what to do THE EXACT SAME THING with Gruden and Dalton??! 

You think Dalton wants to sit behind a 6th round QB in his 2nd season? Hell no, he'll want to start and he does know Grudens system....

In fairness, DeFilippo was NOT the OC when Foles was Super Bowl MVP.

Frank Reich was.

But I get your point.

That said, given his health and experience in Gruden's system, he's the best QB option currently available for the Jaguars.

Even assuming Cam Newton is completely healthy (a dubious assumption given by his own admission, he couldn't throw more than 30 yards in 2018, only played two games last year, and the team was willing to let him go this year), the fact is he doesn't know the offense, and this is an offseason that has been messed up due to the corona virus.

Thank you for the correction. Keep making that mistake!

Ive liked Dalton and he had some really good years in Cincinnati but hes been poor for a few years and i just see us back with QB controversy. I just want us to give Minshew a true chance, give him the team, let him be a leader and see how we go.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dalton would be Chad Henne v2.0.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

dalton would instantly be one of the best backups in the league and prob help minshew quite a bit....however if minshew struggles massively or gets hurt dalton will make the team competitive enough to keep them away from tlaw and fields too.

So on one hand a good move, on the other, doesn't help the tank

(04-30-2020, 04:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Dalton would be Chad Henne v2.0.

I don't particularly like Dalton, but no way in he'll he's as bad as Henna.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM by homebiscuit.)

(04-30-2020, 06:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: dalton would instantly be one of the best backups in the league and prob help minshew quite a bit....however if minshew struggles massively or gets hurt dalton will make the team competitive enough to keep them away from tlaw and fields too.

Pretty much the same argument made on sports radio today. I agree with it. It's doubtful Dalton gets a starting position anywhere, so he might as well sell his backup services to the highest bidder. Plus, Dalton and Gruden worked together in Cincinnati. I see a strong possibility of it happening.

(04-30-2020, 07:05 PM)Rico Wrote:

I don't particularly like Dalton, but no way in he'll he's as bad as Henna.

I liked Dalton when he was at TCU and was hoping the Jags would draft him. However, he slotted himself firmly in mediocre performance and then I was glad we didn't get him. He always played just well enough to keep the starting job, well, up until today.

(04-30-2020, 07:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 06:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: dalton would instantly be one of the best backups in the league and prob help minshew quite a bit....however if minshew struggles massively or gets hurt dalton will make the team competitive enough to keep them away from tlaw and fields too.

Pretty much the same argument made on sports radio today. I agree with it. It's doubtful Dalton gets a starting position anywhere, so he might as well sell his backup services to the highest bidder. Plus, Dalton and Gruden worked together in Cincinnati. I see a strong possibility of it happening.

(04-30-2020, 07:05 PM)Rico Wrote: I don't particularly like Dalton, but no way in he'll he's as bad as Henna.

I liked Dalton when he was at TCU and was hoping the Jags would draft him. However, he slotted himself firmly in mediocre performance and then I was glad we didn't get him. He always played just well enough to keep the starting job, well, up until today.

if you are andy you can prob sell yourself as having a decent chance of either beating out minshew, taking the job if he struggles, or being the bridge guy in a year with your former OC there. Personally I don't think theres any question about Minshew not starting week 1 with dalton there...but from Andys side of things Jacksonville makes a ton of sense. maybe the only better team would be NE where he might actually still win the divison, but who knows if they want him

Based on what? Lol

Another baseless take.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 12:51 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

Don't quit your job to be a talent scout

Why not. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming here as a backup/bridge qb if minshew doesn't improve.

Worst case scenario we could Always trade Dalton to the Bears for a 4th after Foles go down injured week 3 lol

It's clear that the goal this year is not to win. The team isn't going to overpay Andy Dalton to come here as a backup. Plus, I'm pretty confident that after playing for a lousy team his entire career, his goal is going to be to land somewhere that's at least mildly competitive. That's not Jacksonville.

Sign a veteran just to have one on the roster. A Henne type guy (not Henne). There are plenty of free agents who would sign cheaply here to back up Minshew. Dalton isn't one of them.

If Minshew gets hurt, you're already screwed regardless, and with the current roster, it's not like we're going to make a push for the post season. Why overspend on a guy who is the very definition of mediocrity just because he had a past relationship with your OC? This is Minshew's team sink or swim this year. If he sinks, or gets hurt, you're in the running to land a franchise guy in the draft next year, an you haven't compromised your cap this year by signing a guy like Dalton.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 11:46 AM by knarnn.)

https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/1...99490?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/statu...60420?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

What sucks is that Andy would be a better QB than anything we've had between Brunell and Minshew. We've been in this mire so long we've accepted it, or at least now have come to expect it.

At the same time... I don't think a vet QB matters at this point. Minshew gives us a good QB with an unmatched attitude which bodes well in the current Jags situation.

Tank for Lawrence.

There are enough young pieces around to continue to build once he gets here.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I like the idea. Foles did well while injured to mentor and help GM with studying formations, playcalls, etc on the sidelines between series. Dobbs may have the smarts and the film room experience, but he doesn't have the on-field time to be able to relate any real-world scenarios. Dalton will be an upgrade over Dobbs for sure, and doesn't seem so stricken with ego that he won't accept a backup role if that's his place. Minshew is a dang competitor. I think he NEEDS to feel challenged to dig deeper and grow. A guy like Dalton is fully capable of taking over if Minshew doesn't turn the corner, and that may be the impetus to keep GM on track.

Let's not also forget that GM's style of play lends to contact, and even last year in limited time he had nursed a few injuries that hampered his play. The team would be wise to have a 1B in place in case 1A goes down, even if only for a game or two.

I also think if they do sign him, it will be a two-year deal, that way if GM is not in fact 'the man', he's the one sent packing while the team keeps Dalton as backup/early starter as the case may be.

Too much money. We'll need it for 1-2 FA's next year.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(05-01-2020, 04:03 PM)PF* Wrote: Too much money. We'll need it for 1-2 FA's next year.

We will have 100 million in cap next year

(05-01-2020, 12:48 PM)pirkster Wrote: What sucks is that Andy would be a better QB than anything we've had between Brunell and Minshew.  We've been in this mire so long we've accepted it, or at least now have come to expect it.

At the same time... I don't think a vet QB matters at this point.  Minshew gives us a good QB with an unmatched attitude which bodes well in the current Jags situation.

Tank for Lawrence.

We aren't getting Lawrence, so any plan based on that happening is fatally flawed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-01-2020, 04:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 04:03 PM)PF* Wrote: Too much money. We'll need it for 1-2 FA's next year.

Make it 3-4 FA's then!
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 09:59 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-01-2020, 04:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:

For real? if we only hap a competent GM...

(05-01-2020, 05:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 12:48 PM)pirkster Wrote: What sucks is that Andy would be a better QB than anything we've had between Brunell and Minshew.  We've been in this mire so long we've accepted it, or at least now have come to expect it.

At the same time... I don't think a vet QB matters at this point.  Minshew gives us a good QB with an unmatched attitude which bodes well in the current Jags situation.

Tank for Lawrence.

We aren't getting Lawrence, so any plan based on that happening is fatally flawed.

Yeah, no way.

Minshew is gonna improve but who knows how much. I say we win between 4-6 games, but if Minshew shows he is the real deal then maybe 8 lol (since the defense is gonna suck for sure).
Maybe we will be able to trade for the 2nd best QB but no way we get the #1 pick overall.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-01-2020, 09:55 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 04:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: We will have 100 million in cap next year

For real? if we only hap a competent GM...

(05-01-2020, 05:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We aren't getting Lawrence, so any plan based on that happening is fatally flawed.

Yeah, no way.

Minshew is gonna improve but who knows how much. I say we win between 4-6 games, but if Minshew shows he is the real deal then maybe 8 lol (since the defense is gonna suck for sure).
Maybe we will be able to trade for the 2nd best QB but no way we get the #1 pick overall.

I think the secondary will get torched against the high-flying offenses, but the defense won't be abysmal overall. If the offense is any good, the pass rush might really shine, especially if Yan returns. The run D should be more respectable. If there are any major QB injuries in the division and Gardner stays healthy, don't sleep on the Jaguars to make a little noise toward the end of the year.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Andy Dalton is Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s as good as the players around him, but rarely better. You could do a lot worse for a backup. Minshew would benefit from his experience.