Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Khans

Big Grin 

Firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. 

I am currently working on an article looking at the success’ of Tony and Shahid Khans sporting ventures (Jaguars, Fulham FC & AEW).

I would love to hear your thoughts as Jaguars fans about how their ownership has been in terms of results, fan engagement, investment etc. 

Look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who are you and what publication are you writing for?

(05-01-2020, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who are you and what publication are you writing for?

Haha no publication, am just a bored student at home. I’m from London and a big Fulham fan so looking to get some perspective from across the pond. My blog is https://viewsfromthesw6.wordpress.com/ if you wish to check it out

(05-01-2020, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who are you and what publication are you writing for?

Get em biscuit!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

And get off my lawn

1) Shad Khan means well and has great visions for the city of Jacksonville and the Jaguars. That said, I think the reality of the Jaguars continued losing ways has him hedging his bets by keeping his thumb on the pulse of London. If the team would even be moderately good, we'd have a more dedicated fanbase as we love American football here in northern Florida.

2) Tony Khan is not qualified to make business decisions for Fulham FC or the Jags. Perhaps he's a good fit for the the wrestling thing they are toying with.

3) I personally hope the remainder of the Premier League & the Championship League gets cancelled so Fulham FC can get promoted without going through the 4-team playoff for teams finishing in 3-4-5-6 place.

They successfully bought both teams and started the wresting thing.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If anyone other than Khan had bought this team they would have moved to LA years ago.

(05-01-2020, 11:46 AM)Mhbruce Wrote:

Haha no publication, am just a bored student at home. I’m from London and a big Fulham fan so looking to get some perspective from across the pond. My blog is https://viewsfromthesw6.wordpress.com/ if you wish to check it out

Pay no attention to Joe McCarthy Jr.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I like Kahn. It’s nice to have an owner who isn’t your typical looking owner haha

(05-01-2020, 12:04 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: 2) Tony Khan is not qualified to make business decisions for Fulham FC or the Jags.  Perhaps he's a good fit for the the wrestling thing they are toying with.

Teams across all professional sports suffer due to a lack of quality general management.  But it's especially noticeable in the NFL.  And this is due to a severely limited talent pool which has been limited based on attributes that have little bearing on whether you'd actually be good at that job.  If you didnt play football in college/NFL or you arent related to an owner, it seems like you have very little chance of running a team as GM.  But neither of those categories are determined based on a skillset of intelligence, leadership, ability to weigh the risk/reward of player talent, finances, etc.... the type of traits that would make a good general manager.  Those things can obviously be found in that small pool of talent.  But it's obviously not a prerequisite and in many cases seems to be completely lacking.  So the NFL takes those very small selection of humans and says we want to find the smartest, craftiest, most ingenuous, etc... of this group to lead our football teams.  

Tony Khan is a perfect example of this.  Or if you want the british colloquial, he's rubbish.

(05-01-2020, 11:33 AM)Mhbruce Wrote: Firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. 

I am currently working on an article looking at the success’ of Tony and Shahid Khans sporting ventures (Jaguars, Fulham FC & AEW).

I would love to hear your thoughts as Jaguars fans about how their ownership has been in terms of results, fan engagement, investment etc. 

Look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions

Look at the record of their teams, that should answer your question.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 12:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-01-2020, 12:18 PM)DragonFury Wrote: If anyone other than Khan had bought this team they would have moved to LA years ago.

Disagree.  If I bought the team, I would have moved them to Mexico City, which is logistically feasible and would prosper tremendously.

Population
128,649,565 (2020 est.)

GDP
  • $1.274 trillion (nominal, 2019 est.)
  • $2.616 trillion (PPP, 2019)
Rank

disappointed with Khan to say the least. And I don’t give a damn about soccer. Time to win some [BLEEP] football games. Also, sorry to be brash, but I don’t care about London or the fans there. That’s how I feel.

(05-01-2020, 12:54 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: disappointed with Khan to say the least. And I don’t give a damn about soccer. Time to win some [BLEEP] football games. Also, sorry to be brash, but I don’t care about London or the fans there. That’s how I feel.

If it ain't Merica, it ain't great

I think he's a smart business mogul that's not very smart nor bold when it comes to taking chances in professional sports.

I think he's not engaged enough. There's an interesting dynamic in the NFL, and maybe other professional sports where owners tend to be too involved or not involved enough. I personally feel that he's not involved enough while his son has pretty much treated it like a toy. I literally equate it to U.S Bates & "Master" Eric Bates relationship wise.

We're just a bunch of Jack Brown's here in Jacksonville trying our best to understand the situation as fans. The main issue being that he's yet to have a full on clean cut or break from any regime he's been involved in here as an owner. He was stuck with Mularkey and Smith when he bought the team.

He hired Caldwell and Bradley. Fires Bradley. Keeps Caldwell. Hires Coughlin. Keeps Marrone from Bradley's old staff. Fires Coughlin. Allows Caldwell to resume where they left off in 2016 with Marrone once again in charge of the coaching staff. Despite numerous failures across the last seven years. He's really refused to cut ties when he had every right to.

And in failing to do so he's allowed other teams to get ahead of him swiftly. I mean, you can look at the Shanahan and Lynch connection in San Francisco. You can look at Andy Reid with the Chiefs. Bruce Arians with Arizona and now Tampa Bay. Sean McVay with the Rams. Brian Flores with Miami (who I think will go onto be one of Belichick's few assistants that amounts to something great).

These were all possibilities over the years and instead of taking his chances for a shot at greatness he doubled down, and in Caldwell's case, triple downed on below mediocrity. Because that's precisely how this team has played and how this front office has conducted itself since he's been the owner. Below mediocre.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-01-2020, 02:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: We're just a bunch of Jack Brown's here in Jacksonville trying our best to understand the situation as fans. The main issue being that he's yet to have a full on clean cut or break from any regime he's been involved in here as an owner. He was stuck with Mularkey and Smith when he bought the team.

He hired Caldwell and Bradley. Fires Bradley. Keeps Caldwell. Hires Coughlin. Keeps Marrone from Bradley's old staff. Fires Coughlin. Allows Caldwell to resume where they left off in 2016 with Marrone once again in charge of the coaching staff. Despite numerous failures across the last seven years. He's really refused to cut ties when he had every right to.

And in failing to do so he's allowed other teams to get ahead of him swiftly. I mean, you can look at the Shanahan and Lynch connection in San Francisco. You can look at Andy Reid with the Chiefs. Bruce Arians with Arizona and now Tampa Bay. Sean McVay with the Rams. Brian Flores with Miami (who I think will go onto be one of Belichick's few assistants that amounts to something great).

These were all possibilities over the years and instead of taking his chances for a shot at greatness he doubled down, and in Caldwell's case, triple downed on below mediocrity. Because that's precisely how this team has played and how this front office has conducted itself since he's been the owner. Below mediocre.

This is a primary reflection that Khan has always gone the cheap route with regard to his coaches.

(05-01-2020, 12:37 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I like Kahn. It’s nice to have an owner who isn’t your typical looking owner haha
Wow.
(05-01-2020, 02:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think he's not engaged enough. There's an interesting dynamic in the NFL, and maybe other professional sports where owners tend to be too involved or not involved enough. I personally feel that he's not involved enough while his son has pretty much treated it like a toy. I literally equate it to U.S Bates & "Master" Eric Bates relationship wise.
+1 for one of my favorite movies ever, You can't leave Fancy out. I see the Khans in this picture.
[Image: theresa12e1bd24.jpg]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(05-01-2020, 12:18 PM)DragonFury Wrote: If anyone other than Khan had bought this team they would have moved to LA years ago.

+1
[Image: giphy.gif]

If any owner had intended to move the team to Los Angeles, Weaver wouldn't have sold it to him. That was one of the major stipulations of selling the team - to keep it in Jacksonville.

My frustration with Khan is that he's too focused on making more money and not focused enough on more winning. If he was successful at the latter, he wouldn't have to worry about the former. Already fan support has been outstanding, (something Khan himself acknowledged) drawing 60k+ to see a lousy home team. After eight or so years of owning the team, all Khan has to show for it is one division title, a swimming people, a dog park, and a crappy looking amphitheater.