Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Khans

(05-01-2020, 12:18 PM)DragonFury Wrote: If anyone other than Khan had bought this team they would have moved to LA years ago.

They wouldn't have been able to

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They need to stop pretending they know how to run a professional football team.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020, 06:39 AM by The Real Marty.)

While I am disappointed with the results of the team since the Khans bought it, I have hope that, since they are smart people, they will figure things out and our results will improve.  

Other than that, they seem like nice people and they've shown a commitment to making long term improvements to the city.   But sometimes they seem a little tone-deaf about how the fans might react to things they do, like moving a second game to London.  Either that or they don't care about the reaction of the fans, which is fine as long as they realize that it is some of their own actions and failures that have severely affected attendance at games in Jacksonville.

There are certain owners who are constantly hiring and firing coaches and GMs, with the result that their teams wallow in mediocrity or worse.  The Khans seem to be taking the opposite approach to a fault, seeming to value stability and patience, with much the same result.   There's a happy medium between being a hands-off, let the professionals do their jobs type of owner and the meddling butt-kicker, and I think the Khans would do well to find that middle ground.

Hi everyone, the article featuring some of your comments, is up now. I would love to hear your thoughts on my work.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-05...the-khans/

(05-20-2020, 09:56 AM)Mhbruce Wrote: Hi everyone, the article featuring some of your comments, is up now. I would love to hear your thoughts on my work.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-05...the-khans/

Wow.  That was an excellent article.  Nice job !!

1?winning season in 10 years as owner. Enough said.

(05-30-2020, 12:19 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: 1?winning season in 10 years as owner. Enough said.

10 years of NFL football in Jacksonville. Which is about 8 more than any other would have given this market.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 10:16 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

(05-30-2020, 06:50 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 12:19 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: 1?winning season in 10 years as owner. Enough said.

10 years of NFL football in Jacksonville. Which is about 8 more than any other would have given this market.

Ok Tony.

Jacksonville isn’t a bad market. If you’re fielding a competitive team then it’s middle- to below average tier. The market isn’t the problem. It’s the results. Look at Green Bay, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh. You could Argue that those markets aren’t good, but they have a culture and history of winning football games. That’s where it starts.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2020, 12:30 AM by surfon.)

(05-30-2020, 06:50 PM)DragonFury Wrote:

Wait.  Arent you in london? Or the uk?

Nice article easy to read. But I don't understand where the opinion that Marrome is hated by the players. That is far from the real facts.

(05-30-2020, 10:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 06:50 PM)DragonFury Wrote: 10 years of NFL football in Jacksonville. Which is about 8 more than any other would have given this market.

Ok Tony.

Jacksonville isn’t a bad market. If you’re fielding  a competitive team then it’s middle- to below average tier. The market isn’t the problem. It’s the results. Look at Green Bay, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh. You could Argue that those markets aren’t good, but they have a culture and history of winning football games. That’s where it starts.

Pittsburgh?  Lol.  Do you know how long they were a BAD team?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-31-2020, 06:51 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 10:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Ok Tony.

Jacksonville isn’t a bad market. If you’re fielding  a competitive team then it’s middle- to below average tier. The market isn’t the problem. It’s the results. Look at Green Bay, New Orleans, or Pittsburgh. You could Argue that those markets aren’t good, but they have a culture and history of winning football games. That’s where it starts.

Pittsburgh?  Lol.  Do you know how long they were a BAD team?

Pittsburgh? They haven't had a prolonged period of losing since the 60s and they've only had 3 losing seasons since the Jags came into the league. If the Jags had managed that kind of success, it would be an entirely different conversation.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-31-2020, 07:16 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 06:51 AM)Rico Wrote: Pittsburgh?  Lol.  Do you know how long they were a BAD team?

Pittsburgh? They haven't had a prolonged period of losing since the 60s and they've only had 3 losing seasons since the Jags came into the league. If the Jags had managed that kind of success, it would be an entirely different conversation.

Yes, Pittsburgh.  Compare their first 25 years as a franchise to ours.  Hell, they were BAD for their first 40 years of existence.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-31-2020, 11:13 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 07:16 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Pittsburgh? They haven't had a prolonged period of losing since the 60s and they've only had 3 losing seasons since the Jags came into the league. If the Jags had managed that kind of success, it would be an entirely different conversation.

Yes, Pittsburgh.  Compare their first 25 years as a franchise to ours.  Hell, they were BAD for their first 40 years of existence.

What they were doing in the 40s and 50s has zero bearing on where they are as a franchise today but if you wanted to compare their first 25 years of attendance and support to the first 25 years of Jags attendance and support, my bet is the Jags compare pretty favorably.

(05-30-2020, 10:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 06:50 PM)DragonFury Wrote: 10 years of NFL football in Jacksonville. Which is about 8 more than any other would have given this market.

Ok Tony.

I agree, the Jacksonville market isn't the problem, all the other markets are. Khan bought this team for $760 million and he could have doubled the franchise's worth instantly by moving to LA. The stadium could be packed to the rafters every home game and it still wouldn't be able to compete with markets like LA, NY and Dallas. Average attendance in Dallas last year was over 90k, that's 23k more than the Jags can fit inside TIAA Bank Field and tickets are significantly more expensive in Dallas than they are in Jacksonville.

The fans in this market get a bad rap. Even some in the nat'l media are giving Jags fans props for their loyalty to a team that stinks. That's what Jax sold to the NFL - passionate fans. Anyone can be passionate and fired up for a constant winner like the Saints or Steelers. Passion starts when the team gives fans little hope, but they show up to watch anyway.

[Image: The-Cons_4d470f76dc99e18ad75087b1b8410ea...1573743687]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Shad Khan and Tony Khan are smart people. I am sure they would rather win than lose. So I have faith that they will figure this thing out.

(05-31-2020, 12:56 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 10:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Ok Tony.

I agree, the Jacksonville market isn't the problem, all the other markets are. Khan bought this team for $760 million and he could have doubled the franchise's worth instantly by moving to LA. The stadium could be packed to the rafters every home game and it still wouldn't be able to compete with markets like LA, NY and Dallas. Average attendance in Dallas last year was over 90k, that's 23k more than the Jags can fit inside TIAA Bank Field and tickets are significantly more expensive in Dallas than they are in Jacksonville.

Okay, you make a solid point.

I do think you’re wrong on the 67,000 capacity of TIAA though. I’m pretty sure it’s anywhere from 70-80k seating capacity

(06-02-2020, 09:58 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 12:56 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I agree, the Jacksonville market isn't the problem, all the other markets are. Khan bought this team for $760 million and he could have doubled the franchise's worth instantly by moving to LA. The stadium could be packed to the rafters every home game and it still wouldn't be able to compete with markets like LA, NY and Dallas. Average attendance in Dallas last year was over 90k, that's 23k more than the Jags can fit inside TIAA Bank Field and tickets are significantly more expensive in Dallas than they are in Jacksonville.

Okay, you make a solid point.

I do think you’re wrong on the 67,000 capacity of TIAA though. I’m pretty sure it’s anywhere from 70-80k seating capacity

DF's point is valid but not because of attendance. Dallas notwithstanding, when the team is winning Jacksonville attendance hovers around the mid-point and the fan base has been more accepting of ticket price increases. But attendance is one part of overall team revenue. Where Jacksonville has a hard time keeping up is in corporate sponsorship and merchandising. Jags aren't unique in that though. Pick any of the smaller 10 or 12 teams in the NFL and compared to London or LA, they're all in that boat.

The current capacity of TIAA for NFL football is 67,838. It's gone up and down over the years, I posted a history a while back I may do it again at some point. For what it's worth, the average NFL stadium capacity in 2018 was 69,444 so Jags are in that ball park.