Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Questions for D6-and any others with perspective

1.  What did you think of the Lions' draft?  While I didn't see Swift as a particularly BIG need, I really liked the pick.  He's a heckuva player.  Okudah was also an excellent pick at #3.

2.  What was this I was hearing about friction between the head coach and the players?  I know Darius Slay seemed to have problems with him.  Was that limited to him, or were there other players that have problems?

3.  What are your general thoughts of the Lions prospects this year?

Nost Jaguars fans are looking at Detroit as one of the winnable games on the schedule.

I share that view, but I do not chalk it up as an easy win by any stretch.  Stafford, Golliday, Swift/Johnson and Hockenson  have the potential to make us have a long day defensively.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-08-2020, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  What did you think of the Lions' draft?  While I didn't see Swift as a particularly BIG need, I really liked the pick.  He's a heckuva player.  Okudah was also an excellent pick at #3.

2.  What was this I was hearing about friction between the head coach and the players?  I know Darius Slay seemed to have problems with him.  Was that limited to him, or were there other players that have problems?

Nost Jaguars fans are looking at Detroit as one of the winnable games on the schedule.

I share that view, but I do not chalk it up as an easy win by any stretch.  Stafford, Golliday, Swift/Johnson and Hockenson  have the potential to make us have a long day defensively.

I currently live in Michigan. There's never much enthusiasm for the lion cubs. Queue up another mediocre, non-playoff season, with Patricia getting canned. The roster has talent in spots, but so does every team's roster in their division (same goes for the NFL). Vikings will run away with the division. Bears, Packers, and Lions will all be mediocre non-contenders. Stafford and Chase Daniel are a good pairing. Both are exceptional at making a ton of money undeservedly. They should write a book together.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-08-2020, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  What did you think of the Lions' draft?  While I didn't see Swift as a particularly BIG need, I really liked the pick.  He's a heckuva player.  Okudah was also an excellent pick at #3.

1.  I'm viewing the Lions overall draft favorably.  Probably, closer to a B+ post draft grade than a B.  

My greatest Lions draft disappointment was the market to trade down with Miami ( # 5 ) or the LA Chargers ( # 6 ) didn't materialize.  The COVID-19 situation probably played a huge role in this happening, as uncertainty about Tua's health likely prevented one or more teams trying to trade up to pick # 3 in order to draft Tua.  

The only decision the Lions made during the draft that I have a major disagreement with is the Lions trading up with the Colts from pick # 85 to pick # 75 in Round 3 to draft Ohio St. G Jonah Jackson.  The cost was a very high pick in Round 5 and going down 15 spots in Round 6.  If the Lions kept pick # 85 and Jackson was still available, I would have been noticeably more comfortable with the decision.

I agree with your assessments of the D'Andre Swift and Jeff Okudah selections.

When combining the injury issues with Kerryon Johnson ( 14 missed games combined in his first 2 NFL seasons, not to mention injuries with Auburn ) and the value of Swift at pick # 35,  the decision makes a great deal of sense.  

Jeff Okudah is an excellent system ( Press Man Coverage emphasis ) and overall fit.  Great intangibles on top of everything else.

2.  Darius Slay was probably the final player of note remaining on the Lions roster that wasn't on the same page as Matt Patricia.  The difference between how former Lions HC Jim Caldwell ( who I wanted the Lions to retain ) and Matt Patricia was a culture shock for most Lions returning players in 2018.  Patricia's overall lack of flexibility that season and the players reactions were reflected in the opening MNF debacle against the Jets. Patricia has improved in this regard since after the 2018 season.  Yet, no one at present will confuse him with Caldwell, in terms of structure and their overall approaches.  

3.  So much depends on injuries.  When Matthew Stafford suffered the back injury that ended the Lions season, the Lions were around .500.  The Lions didn't win another game the rest of the season.  Leads in the 4th QTR were blown in most games.  The Lions Defense was the # 1 reason for the losses.  But the drop-off between Stafford and the 2 QBs that followed was enormous.  The Lions overall injury situation became horrible.  

Related to question 2,  this off--season, the Lions brought in many more players with connections to Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn from their New England days.  The Lions signed DT Danny Shelton and LB Jamie Collins.  The Lions also traded for S Duron Harmon.  Hence, a starter with Patricia ties on all 3 levels of Defense was added.  Because of the limitations of preparation because of the COVID-19 pandemic,  adding players familiar with the Lions Defensive system and the 'Patriots Way' should benefit the Lions.  Quinn and Patricia are on the Hot Seat.  Anything less than playoff contention probably will lead a regime change.

Because the Lions entered the post-draft period with the 3rd most amount of 2020 salary cap space,  there are still viable opportunities to upgrade the roster.  Part of the cap funds likely will be used to extend the contract of WR Kenny Golladay.   The Lions can still use another interior D-Lineman.  Another edge rusher ( Everson Griffin is intriguing ) makes sense,  even with a high upside Edge Player ( Julian Okwara taken with pick # 67 ), and the addition of Collins.  A blocking TE is a need, with Logan Thomas signing with the Redskins as an UFA.  Veteran Offensive Tackle insurance is something the Lions can use as well.  

If Matthew Stafford stays relatively healthy and the team's overall injury situation is in the middle of the NFL or more favorable,  I think the Lions will be in the mix for a playoff spot.  With a 10 win season not a pipe dream.  I totally understand why Jaguars fans view the Lions as a team the Jaguars have a good chance of beating.  The Lions lost the last 9 games. Regardless of injuries and the vast majority of the games being there for the taking ( some of the scores are misleading ),  the Lions record is what stands out.  The Lions came within 1 play of closing out the Chiefs in game # 4 last season.  The Packers didn't lead the Lions in either game the teams played against each other until Game winning FGs the final play of the games.  Yet,  the Lions were lit up by a Bears QB that Nick Foles likely will be replacing in the starting lineup.  When each game is played ( this goes for any NFL game ),  so much depends on the teams injury situations.  

From a Lions fan perspective,  I am well aware that the Jaguars could easily surprise a lot of people this season.  I don't view the Jags as a team that will be close to the # 1 pick, if they have a mid-level injury situation or better, and don't have a fire sale with trades.

(05-08-2020, 02:09 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Most Jaguars fans are looking at Detroit as one of the winnable games on the schedule.

I currently live in Michigan. There's never much enthusiasm for the lion cubs. Queue up another mediocre, non-playoff season, with Patricia getting canned. The roster has talent in spots, but so does every team's roster in their division (same goes for the NFL). Vikings will run away with the division. Bears, Packers, and Lions will all be mediocre non-contenders. Stafford and Chase Daniel are a good pairing. Both are exceptional at making a ton of money undeservedly. They should write a book together.
Vikings?

That's kinda surprising.

There is talent on that team and it is well coached, but they lost a ton of people on defense.

Of the remainder, Aaron Rodgers always makes the Packers a threat, but I think Chicago's defense will keep them in the chase.  The only question-as it perpetually is in Chicago) is the passing offense.  I see Detroit finishing in 4th, and they have the makings of a potentially really good offense.  Can they put it all together?

(05-08-2020, 03:06 PM)D6 Wrote:

1.  I'm viewing the Lions overall draft favorably.  Probably, closer to a B+ post draft grade than a B.  

My greatest Lions draft disappointment was the market to trade down with Miami ( # 5 ) or the LA Chargers ( # 6 ) didn't materialize.  The COVID-19 situation probably played a huge role in this happening, as uncertainty about Tua's health likely prevented one or more teams trying to trade up to pick # 3 in order to draft Tua.  

The only decision the Lions made during the draft that I have a major disagreement with is the Lions trading up with the Colts from pick # 85 to pick # 75 in Round 3 to draft Ohio St. G Jonah Jackson.  The cost was a very high pick in Round 5 and going down 15 spots in Round 6.  If the Lions kept pick # 85 and Jackson was still available, I would have been noticeably more comfortable with the decision.

When combining the injury issues with Kerryon Johnson ( 14 missed games combined in his first 2 NFL seasons, not to mention injuries with Auburn ) and the value of Swift at pick # 35,  the decision makes a great deal of sense.  

Jeff Okudah is an excellent system ( Press Man Coverage emphasis ) and overall fit.  Great intangibles on top of everything else.

2.  Darius Slay was probably the final player of note remaining on the Lions roster that wasn't on the same page as Matt Patricia.  The difference between how former Lions HC Jim Caldwell ( who I wanted the Lions to retain ) and Matt Patricia was a culture shock for most Lions returning players in 2018.  Patricia's overall lack of flexibility that season and the players reactions were reflected in the opening MNF debacle against the Jets. Patricia has improved in this regard since after the 2018 season.  Yet, no one at present will confuse him with Caldwell, in terms of structure and their overall approaches.  

3.  So much depends on injuries.  When Matthew Stafford suffered the back injury that ended the Lions season, the Lions were around .500.  The Lions didn't win another game the rest of the season.  Leads in the 4th QTR were blown in most games.  The Lions Defense was the # 1 reason for the losses.  But the drop-off between Stafford and the 2 QBs that followed was enormous.  The Lions overall injury situation became horrible.  

Related to question 2,  this off--season, the Lions brought in many more players with connections to Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn from their New England days.  The Lions signed DT Danny Shelton and LB Jamie Collins.  The Lions also traded for S Duron Harmon.  Hence, a starter with Patricia ties on all 3 levels of Defense was added.  Because of the limitations of preparation because of the COVID-19 pandemic,  adding players familiar with the Lions Defensive system and the 'Patriots Way' should benefit the Lions.  Quinn and Patricia are on the Hot Seat.  Anything less than playoff contention probably will lead a regime change.

Because the Lions entered the post-draft period with the 3rd most amount of 2020 salary cap space,  there are still viable opportunities to upgrade the roster.  Part of the cap funds likely will be used to extend the contract of WR Kenny Golladay.   The Lions can still use another interior D-Lineman.  Another edge rusher ( Everson Griffin is intriguing ) makes sense,  even with a high upside Edge Player ( Julian Okwara taken with pick # 67 ), and the addition of Collins.  A blocking TE is a need, with Logan Thomas signing with the Redskins as an UFA.  Veteran Offensive Tackle insurance is something the Lions can use as well.  

If Matthew Stafford stays relatively healthy and the team's overall injury situation is in the middle of the NFL or more favorable,  I think the Lions will be in the mix for a playoff spot.  With a 10 win season not a pipe dream.  I totally understand why Jaguars fans view the Lions as a team the Jaguars have a good chance of beating.  The Lions lost the last 9 games. Regardless of injuries and the vast majority of the games being there for the taking ( some of the scores are misleading ),  the Lions record is what stands out.  The Lions came within 1 play of closing out the Chiefs in game # 4 last season.  The Packers didn't lead the Lions in either game the teams played against each other until Game winning FGs the final play of the games.  Yet,  the Lions were lit up by a Bears QB that Nick Foles likely will be replacing in the starting lineup.  When each game is played ( this goes for any NFL game ),  so much depends on the teams injury situations.  

From a Lions fan perspective,  I am well aware that the Jaguars could easily surprise a lot of people this season.  I don't view the Jags as a team that will be close to the # 1 pick, if they have a mid-level injury situation or better, and don't have a fire sale with trades.
Thanks for the insight.

It's funny how your disappointment in the team's failure to trade down from #3 iverall mirrirs the disappointment of many Jaguars fans in our team's failure to trade back from 9.  Reports are we had two opportunities to trade back, one to the Jets at #11 and one with Tampa at 14, but Caldwell was afraid of losing out on Henderson.  Many Jaguars fans would have been fine with the risk considering we could have had Jerry Jeudy or Javon Kinlaw plus extra 3rd and 4th round picks, to say nothing of the possibility of still landing Henderson.

How is Stafford progressing from his back injury?  Back injuries are nothing to take lightly.  Charles Haley's career was ended with back issues, as was a promising C the Jaguars drafted in round 2 1996 by the name of Michael Cheever.  When the Jaguars went on their first ever playoff run, it was because of their running game.  The running game took off in large part due to Michael Cheever, who was a far better run blocker than Dave Widell, the starter who was out due to injury.  RB Natrone Means had 175 yards rushing in the playoff win in Buffalo, and 140 yards in the win in Denver.  Widell returned to the starting lineup in the AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh, the running game bogged down (in part due to a botched short yardage conversion where Widell was blown up into the backfield.)

Is Patricia running a 4-3 or 3-4 primarily, or is he trying to employ the hybrid approach?

As for the Jaguars, while I  appreciate the respect you've always shown to our team, and would love to see my team shock the world and win it all, I don't see that happening this year .  My intiial thoughts after examining our schedule, our roster, and the current overall environment, I can't see much better than 4-12.  In fact, I said it looks like a 3-13 schedule to me.

I think the biggest reason for optimism lay with Minshew.  He looked very good last year, making it an even more pleasant surprise considering he was a rookie 6th round draft choice.  He now has  aseason's worth of experience under his belt, so if nothing else, experience should make him better.  But I think adding Shenault and Collin Johnson at WR will help him out.  But these things are potentially offset by very little coming in the way of offensive line help, and the introduction of Jay Gruden as our offensive coordinator, which, in itself would not be a bad thing at all, but implementing a new offensive system under the current environment with Covid 19 can hinder him.

Defensively, the turnover on this side of the ball is about as extreme as it can get over the course of a year.  For the first time in team history, the team will employ a 3-4 base scheme.  We'll have at least two new starters along the D-Line.  As you might expect in switching to a 3-4, smaller 4-3 DEs are often switched to stand up OLBs in a 3-4, so from that perspective, there is an "incumbent" in Allen, and there is a likely newcomer in Chaisson (whom I think needs some seasoning),  There is a minor chance Nhagkoue starts, but i don't see it.  Either an injury forces some team to get desperate and trades for him, or he sits until mid season like Melvin Gordon last year.  We'll likely have 2-3 rookies starting in the secondary.  All of these changes under a defensive coordinator who is known as a 4-3 guy.

(05-08-2020, 03:06 PM)D6 Wrote:

Sorry just gonna ask a few questions myself!

1- How are Lions fans feeling with Patricia? Do they think he can turn it round or have they already decided? Hes an interesting coach. Highly praised in New England and while that D was very good, you never knew how much was really down to Patricia. Everyone made up their own minds. I like him as a coach but havent seen enough yet to be sure he can be a HC rather than a good DC (see Gus Bradley). 

2- Whay do you think of Kerryon Johnson? Had some real flashes and has real speed but i think he got injured. Obviously being an RB in Detroit is a pretty high bar but just wondering what the opinion on him was

Ive felt Detroit have really suffered from playing in such a tough division every year. Packers go from Favre to Rodgers, Bears sucked for a few years (oh Jay Cutler, the gift that kept on giving) but have a great D now and Zimmer has turned the Vikings into legit contenders most years. You dont have those 'gimme' division games to pad the record with 2 easy W's (See New England and all AFC East  Big Grin )

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 07:30 PM by D6.)

My pleasure, Bullseye. Thank you for your insights.

I definitely can relate to why a high % of Jaguars fans would have preferred that the team would have traded down with the Jets or Bucs. My guess is Dave Caldwell elected to remain in the # 9 spot because of at least one of two reasons:

1. The way the Jaguars board was shaped. The drop-off at CB likely was more pronounced than at WR and Offensive Tackle. With the drop-off at DT being less than on most other NFL team draft boards.

2. The high priority of the CB position, both in terms of need and in the system that will be used.

According to both Matthew Stafford and Bob Quinn, Stafford is totally recovered from the back injury. Having said that, I completely agree with you regarding concerns with back injuries. Stafford dealt with a different back injury he played through in 2018. Being that he turned 32 in February, the concern becomes that much more greater.

I recall Michael Cheever. He certainly looked like a long term solution for the Jags. The loss of Cheever, along with the groin injury Fred Taylor suffered, were the two greatest injury setbacks I recall the Jags having in their early history.

Dave Widell's brother Doug played for the Lions a couple of seasons around the time Dave was with the Jags. Doug was a blue collar/ lunch bucket type of Guard.

The hybrid approach is the Defense Matt Patricia has been using. I'm expecting that to continue, even with a new Defensive Coordinator. Until proven otherwise, it's still Patricia's Defense.

Some of the reasons why I believe the Jaguars will closer to the middle ( or in the middle if most things break right ) of the NFL than the bottom, if the core roster remains intact are:

1. The potential and moxie Gardner Minshew displayed as a rookie. He seems to have the 'It Factor'.

2. A highly motivated Leonard Fournette, who can help keep the chains moving if the Jaguars O-Line is even decent run blocking. and hence slow down the opposition pass rush.

3. Better WR situation than given credit for. Especially, with the playmaking potential of Laviska Shenault.

4. A deep TE unit easily could surprise if the injury situation with these players is much better in 2020 than in 2019.

5. The Jags having 3 big time talented edge rushers on Defense. Even factoring in growing pains, including a system change, and a rookie as one of the 3 players.

6. The addition of ILB Joe Schobert should be favorable for Myles Jack, who was set back in multiple ways after the retirement of Poz.

7. A highly talented rookie CB. Growing pains are inevitable. Yet, big plays are likely.

8. DJ Hayden, at Nickel CB.

9. A good pair of Starting Safeties.

10. A top 10 Special Teams unit.

………...

JagFan81, I plan on providing my input to your questions late Saturday Night or early Sunday Morning.

(05-08-2020, 07:29 PM)D6 Wrote: My pleasure, Bullseye. Thank you for your insights.

I definitely can relate to why a high % of Jaguars fans would have preferred that the team would have traded down with the Jets or Bucs. My guess is Dave Caldwell elected to remain in the # 9 spot because of at least one of two reasons:

1.  The way the Jaguars board was shaped. The drop-off at CB likely was more pronounced than at WR and Offensive Tackle. With the drop-off at DT being less than on most other NFL team draft boards.

2. The high priority of the CB position, both in terms of need and in the system that will be used.

According to both Matthew Stafford and Bob Quinn, Stafford is totally recovered from the back injury. Having said that, I completely agree with you regarding concerns with back injuries. Stafford dealt with a different back injury he played through in 2018. Being that he turned 32 in February, the concern becomes that much more greater.

I recall Michael Cheever. He certainly looked like a long term solution for the Jags. The loss of Cheever, along with the groin injury Fred Taylor suffered, were the two greatest injury setbacks I recall the Jags having in their early history.

Dave Widell's brother Doug played for the Lions a couple of seasons around the time Dave was with the Jags. Doug was a blue collar/ lunch bucket type of Guard.

The hybrid approach is the Defense Matt Patricia has been using. I'm expecting that to continue, even with a new Defensive Coordinator. Until proven otherwise, it's still Patricia's Defense.

Some of the reasons why I believe the Jaguars will closer to the middle ( or in the middle if most things break right ) of the NFL than the bottom, if the core roster remains intact are:

1. The potential and moxie Gardner Minshew displayed as a rookie.  He seems to have the 'It Factor'.

2. A highly motivated Leonard Fournette, who can help keep the chains moving if the Jaguars O-Line is even decent run blocking. and hence slow down the opposition pass rush.

3. Better WR situation than given credit for. Especially, with the playmaking potential of Laviska Shenault.

4. A deep TE unit easily could surprise if the injury situation with these players is much better in 2020 than in 2019.

5. The Jags having 3 big time talented edge rushers on Defense. Even factoring in growing pains, including a system change, and a rookie as one of the 3 players.

6. The addition of ILB Joe Schobert should be favorable for Myles Jack, who was set back in multiple ways after the retirement of Poz.

7. A highly talented rookie CB. Growing pains are inevitable. Yet, big plays are likely.

………...

JagFan81, I plan on providing my input to your questions late Saturday Night or early Sunday Morning.

I love you D6, hearing that perspective from you has me sipping on the teal Kool aid once again.

(05-08-2020, 07:29 PM)D6 Wrote: My pleasure, Bullseye. Thank you for your insights.

1.  The way the Jaguars board was shaped. The drop-off at CB likely was more pronounced than at WR and Offensive Tackle. With the drop-off at DT being less than on most other NFL team draft boards.

……...

There was an interesting article I recently read called "The Barry Wagner Rule."  It chronicles Rams' GM Les Snead's reluctance to trade down.  In short, the Rams were in the second round and was eyeing now Seattle LB Barry Wagner with their pick.  They figured they could trade back a few spots, pick up some extra picks, and still land Wagner.  They managed to successfully trade back, but then Seattle traded up ahead of them to land Wagner, who went on to become a great player on a great Seahawks defense.  Since Caldwell supposedly has a  good relationship with Snead, perhaps he also learned that lesson and shares his aversioin to risk as it pertains to trading back.  I don't doubt either of those other factors you cite played into the decision.  In fact, I think both helped reinforce his aversion to trade back.

Regarding key injuries in Jaguars history, I would add one more player to tha list.  Tavian Banks from Iowa.  He was our 4th round pick in 1998, the same year we got Fred Taylor.  We got that pick from Buffalo, along with the first round pick used to draft Fred Taylor, for QB Rob Johnson.  In short, he was a big play waiting to happen, and I think would have added the extra dimension in the passing game we missed from not having a viable 3rd WR.  For those of you too young to remember him here is a link of his college and limited pro highlights.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwXQ4aPw-E  He suffered a devastating knee injury on a cheap shot from then Falcons CB Ray Buchanon and he never fully recovered.  Had he remained healthy, I think we beat Tennessee in 1999.  But because we lacked that element he provided, and because we had no viable 3rd down receiver, TC decided to try to emulate the Rams had with Az-Zahir Hakim and drafted R Jay Soward in 2000, and we have paid for that ever since.

Quote:Some of the reasons why I believe the Jaguars will closer to the middle ( or in the middle if most things break right ) of the NFL than the bottom, if the core roster remains intact are:

1. The potential and moxie Gardner Minshew displayed as a rookie.  He seems to have the 'It Factor'.

1.  I really like what Minshew showed last year both in terms of on field production and intangibles.  It's actually refreshing to see a QB that the fans here don't absolutely hate.  Nevertheless, we've put our hopes on QBs showing early promise before, to the point where we've passed up guys like Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes.  He is in his third offense in three years (at least), and he's trying to learn this new offense during the Corona virus.

2.  I am not as down on Fournette as many have been.  It appeared by most accounts he had matured last year, seemingly avoiding many of the knucklehead things that marked his 2018.  But he didn't completely purge the bad stuff, constantly late to and falling asleep in meetings.  Yes he is motivated, but he is on thin ice and still may end up being shipped off.  None of that has any bearing on his blocking, which all too often was not effective enough.

3.  WR does seem more promising for us.  Chark is producing as I anticipated back in 2018.  Shenault has the looks of a versatile weapon and based on the letter he wrote to NFL teams pre draft, he seems to have toughness and intangibles off the charts good.  But durabiltiy is a question, as is how refined his route running.  I have heard player comps ranging from juJu Smith-Schuster to Anquan Boldin, but I'm afraid he won't be one of those immediate impact guys.  A fine WR overall, but may need a year like Chark did.  Fortunately we have NcCardell as our WR coac to develop him.  I am quite intrigued by the possession and red zone potential of one of our 5th round picks, WR Collin Johnson out of Texas.  We haven't had a red zone threat quit like him, though we've tried a couple of times over the years.  I wish we would have drafted another speed guy, but I think we did okay.

4.   I think our TE group is deep IF Eifert can stay healthy.  He's a good TE but his career has been severely marred by injuries.  It's also deep if Josh Oliver, our 3rd round pick from last year, can stay healthy and show something.  Last year was basically a waste for him.  Though I am extremely happy with Jonathan Allen, I would not have minded if we wound up with Hockenson last year had Allen been selected before our pick.  Even though I preferred Fant to Hockenson, I liked both and both would have fit a major and perpetual need for us.

5.  I agree with the edge rusher thing as a general principle, but with some obvious caveats.  First, Ngakoue's is tenuous due to hard feelings of antipathy he has towards the organization.  He has done everything possible to burn bridges here, including getting into a nasty twitter beef with the owner's son!  I don't know how long he will play for us, if at all.  Secondly, Chaisson is very explosive, but hasn't had much college productivity.  He could stand to learn some pass rush moves-and if Ngakoue is willing to teach him, he would have two good mentores in Ngakoue and Allen.  Speaking of which, I am thrilled beyond words with Allen.  One of the most versatile defenders I have seen-certainly in a Jaguar uniform.  He can rush with speed and power, and for a man his size, he is quite adept at dropping into coverage, doing so better than smaller guys.    To me, if the whole Ngakoue thing is amicably reconciled, pass rush should be a source of confidence for years, irrespective of the front utilized..

6.  He performed well in Cleveland, and if we have a NT that can keep blockers off of him, he can be productive here.  Though I really like what I have seen of Devon Hamilton, I wonder how long it will take him to develop into that NT.

7.  Agreed with Henderson.  I was iniitally not crazy about the pick, I have warmed to him.  I am concerned about who takes the spot on the other side.  I'm not sold on Tre Herndon, and I need to learn more about rookie Josiah Scott, though I like what little I have seen and heard thus far.

8.  Hayden has been a pleasant and welcome surprise at nickel for us.  I hope he stays with us for a long time.

9.  Harrison is talented but inconsistent, and supposedly has some knucklehead in him.  I am not crazy about Wilson at all, and I am hoping undrafted rookie JR Reed out of Georgia replaces him.

10.  I am happy with our special teams.  To me, the only thing we lack is a strong return unit.

(05-08-2020, 07:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 03:06 PM)D6 Wrote: 1.  I'm viewing the Lions overall draft favorably.  Probably, closer to a B+ post draft grade than a B.  

Sorry just gonna ask a few questions myself!

1- How are Lions fans feeling with Patricia? Do they think he can turn it round or have they already decided? Hes an interesting coach. Highly praised in New England and while that D was very good, you never knew how much was really down to Patricia. Everyone made up their own minds. I like him as a coach but havent seen enough yet to be sure he can be a HC rather than a good DC (see Gus Bradley). 

2- Whay do you think of Kerryon Johnson? Had some real flashes and has real speed but i think he got injured. Obviously being an RB in Detroit is a pretty high bar but just wondering what the opinion on him was

Ive felt Detroit have really suffered from playing in such a tough division every year. Packers go from Favre to Rodgers, Bears sucked for a few years (oh Jay Cutler, the gift that kept on giving) but have a great D now and Zimmer has turned the Vikings into legit contenders most years. You dont have those 'gimme' division games to pad the record with 2 easy W's (See New England and all AFC East  Big Grin )

1.  My estimate is around 65 % of Lions fans have already come to the conclusion that Matt Patricia is going to fail as Lions HC.   

There's no question on this end that Patricia was a high quality Defensive Coordinator.  If the Lions don't have much better tangible results in 2020, Patricia probably will be an NFL DC in 2021.  With an uphill battle to get another NFL HC opportunity.   

The # 1 question for me regarding Patricia as Lions HC is will be flexible enough regarding the Lions Defense  to make changes, if his core hybrid system doesn't produce noticeably better results early in the 2020 season?   The Lions have to generate a better pass rush and can't be overly dependent on coverage.  In fairness to Patricia,  injuries on Defense, especially the Defensive Line, made the job of the coaches extremely difficult this past season.  

2.  I'm a fan of Kerryon Johnson, as his running instincts are a major strength.  Kerryon doesn't have great speed and power.  Yet,  his feel for the game, slipperiness, and preparation help compensation for the most part.  He's an asset as a receiver.  He's somewhat inconsistent with blitz pickup execution.  Probably, because of the amount of missed practice and games because of injuries.  With the addition of D'Andre Swift and the better than expected rushing of Bo Scarbrough after he was promoted from the Practice Squad in mid-November,  the need for any of the RBs to be a bell cow has lessened.   One thing that jumps out regarding the Lions top 3 RBs is they all played their college ball in the SEC.  

The NFC North has indeed been a strong division.  Even just looking at the last several seasons,  Aaron Rodgers has been a differential player much more often than not when he's avoided injury. The Packers added the 'Smith Brothers' in FA last season and they made a huge difference off the edge on their Defense.  Mike Zimmer's Defense has caused the Lions Offensive Line and other blockers kept in for protection far more problems than any other Defense.  Dalvin Cook is a differential runner, with the ability to go the distance on any play.   The Bears Defense became very dangerous once they added Khalil Mack.  

Right now,  I think the division is wide open for the 2020 season.  If the Lions injury situation is on the favorable side,  anything less than at least being in the thick of the NFC playoff race ( that much more with 7 teams per Conference making the playoffs- which I remain totally against. )  will make it difficult to justify bring back Patricia for a 4th season.  With a total regime change probably necessary.

JagJohn, though this off-season is different than practically all others any of us have experienced, my response usually is the disappointment of how the previous Lions season ended dissipates for the most part once the Free Agent period begins. The optimism usually lasts until at least the beginning of the regular season unless injuries prior to then clearly makes the team outlook ominous. Without positivity ( though I try to be objective ) in the off-season, I probably would have stopped watching the NFL decades ago.

My guess is that you and many other Jags fans reading this probably have a similar cycle that I do as a Lions fan in most seasons. Sometimes, it can be more difficult to become optimistic but it much more often than not eventually comes.

For me, looking at the Jags without the emotional attachment factor, so much in the 2020 season depends on getting all of the key players to buy into the program for at least this season. If the current core of the team is kept intact and injuries don't get out of control, I would be surprised if the Jags didn't at minimum win at least 6 games. With 8 wins a realistic expectation.

Bullseye, thanks for your additional input. I look forward to replying sometime today.

Bullseye you made me cry with the Tavian Banks recall. I loved that guy. The change of pace and skill he had was a devastating loss. On the one highlight he blew buy Zach Thomas like he was standing still. /cry
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2020, 09:27 PM by D6.)

(05-08-2020, 10:43 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

……...

There was an interesting article I recently read called "The Barry Wagner Rule."  It chronicles Rams' GM Les Snead's reluctance to trade down.  In short, the Rams were in the second round and was eyeing now Seattle LB Barry Wagner with their pick.  They figured they could trade back a few spots, pick up some extra picks, and still land Wagner.  They managed to successfully trade back, but then Seattle traded up ahead of them to land Wagner, who went on to become a great player on a great Seahawks defense.  Since Caldwell supposedly has a  good relationship with Snead, perhaps he also learned that lesson and shares his aversioin to risk as it pertains to trading back.  I don't doubt either of those other factors you cite played into the decision.  In fact, I think both helped reinforce his aversion to trade back.

Regarding key injuries in Jaguars history, I would add one more player to tha list.  Tavian Banks from Iowa.  He was our 4th round pick in 1998, the same year we got Fred Taylor.  We got that pick from Buffalo, along with the first round pick used to draft Fred Taylor, for QB Rob Johnson.  In short, he was a big play waiting to happen, and I think would have added the extra dimension in the passing game we missed from not having a viable 3rd WR.  For those of you too young to remember him here is a link of his college and limited pro highlights.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwXQ4aPw-E  He suffered a devastating knee injury on a cheap shot from then Falcons CB Ray Buchanon and he never fully recovered.  Had he remained healthy, I think we beat Tennessee in 1999.  But because we lacked that element he provided, and because we had no viable 3rd down receiver, TC decided to try to emulate the Rams had with Az-Zahir Hakim and drafted R Jay Soward in 2000, and we have paid for that ever since.

Quote:Some of the reasons why I believe the Jaguars will closer to the middle ( or in the middle if most things break right ) of the NFL than the bottom, if the core roster remains intact are:

1.  I really like what Minshew showed last year both in terms of on field production and intangibles.  It's actually refreshing to see a QB that the fans here don't absolutely hate.  Nevertheless, we've put our hopes on QBs showing early promise before, to the point where we've passed up guys like Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes.  He is in his third offense in three years (at least), and he's trying to learn this new offense during the Corona virus.

2.  I am not as down on Fournette as many have been.  It appeared by most accounts he had matured last year, seemingly avoiding many of the knucklehead things that marked his 2018.  But he didn't completely purge the bad stuff, constantly late to and falling asleep in meetings.  Yes he is motivated, but he is on thin ice and still may end up being shipped off.  None of that has any bearing on his blocking, which all too often was not effective enough.

3.  WR does seem more promising for us.  Chark is producing as I anticipated back in 2018.  Shenault has the looks of a versatile weapon and based on the letter he wrote to NFL teams pre draft, he seems to have toughness and intangibles off the charts good.  But durabiltiy is a question, as is how refined his route running.  I have heard player comps ranging from juJu Smith-Schuster to Anquan Boldin, but I'm afraid he won't be one of those immediate impact guys.  A fine WR overall, but may need a year like Chark did.  Fortunately we have NcCardell as our WR coac to develop him.  I am quite intrigued by the possession and red zone potential of one of our 5th round picks, WR Collin Johnson out of Texas.  We haven't had a red zone threat quit like him, though we've tried a couple of times over the years.  I wish we would have drafted another speed guy, but I think we did okay.

4.   I think our TE group is deep IF Eifert can stay healthy.  He's a good TE but his career has been severely marred by injuries.  It's also deep if Josh Oliver, our 3rd round pick from last year, can stay healthy and show something.  Last year was basically a waste for him.  Though I am extremely happy with Jonathan Allen, I would not have minded if we wound up with Hockenson last year had Allen been selected before our pick.  Even though I preferred Fant to Hockenson, I liked both and both would have fit a major and perpetual need for us.

5.  I agree with the edge rusher thing as a general principle, but with some obvious caveats.  First, Ngakoue's is tenuous due to hard feelings of antipathy he has towards the organization.  He has done everything possible to burn bridges here, including getting into a nasty twitter beef with the owner's son!  I don't know how long he will play for us, if at all.  Secondly, Chaisson is very explosive, but hasn't had much college productivity.  He could stand to learn some pass rush moves-and if Ngakoue is willing to teach him, he would have two good mentores in Ngakoue and Allen.  Speaking of which, I am thrilled beyond words with Allen.  One of the most versatile defenders I have seen-certainly in a Jaguar uniform.  He can rush with speed and power, and for a man his size, he is quite adept at dropping into coverage, doing so better than smaller guys.    To me, if the whole Ngakoue thing is amicably reconciled, pass rush should be a source of confidence for years, irrespective of the front utilized..

6.  He performed well in Cleveland, and if we have a NT that can keep blockers off of him, he can be productive here.  Though I really like what I have seen of Devon Hamilton, I wonder how long it will take him to develop into that NT.

7.  Agreed with Henderson.  I was iniitally not crazy about the pick, I have warmed to him.  I am concerned about who takes the spot on the other side.  I'm not sold on Tre Herndon, and I need to learn more about rookie Josiah Scott, though I like what little I have seen and heard thus far.

8.  Hayden has been a pleasant and welcome surprise at nickel for us.  I hope he stays with us for a long time.

9.  Harrison is talented but inconsistent, and supposedly has some knucklehead in him.  I am not crazy about Wilson at all, and I am hoping undrafted rookie JR Reed out of Georgia replaces him.

10.  I am happy with our special teams.  To me, the only thing we lack is a strong return unit.

Bullseye, I can definitely appreciate the impact that losing out on Bobby Wagner had on Les Snead and anyone who is more reluctant to trade back as a result. Ultimately though, I think each draft situation needs to be evaluated separately. Using, the past as reference points. 

The Tavian Banks injury certainly had an enormous negative impact on the Jaguars. That much more with what you mentioned regarding the consequences of the high risk/ high reward R.J. Soward selection in Round 1, in 2000. With the Jaguars problematic salary cap situation back then, practically the last thing the team could have afforded was the path Soward's NFL career went. The Banks injury ended up causing the equivalent of a football version of a 15 + vehicle chain reaction accident to the Jaguars franchise.

1. I think this season will shape the future of the Jaguars at # QB. If Gardner Minshew builds on his impressive rookie season, adjusting well to a new Offense despite the Coronavirus situation, he has a good chance of being a long term solution at the position. If Minshew doesn't take a step forward, the Jags probably will end up with a high enough draft pick that they should be able to land a blue chip QB in the 2021 Draft. Especially, with their draft resources to trade up, if necessary.

2. If Leonard Fournette is shipped off, a very long season is likely ahead for the Jaguars. Having a viable running game is essential with a relatively inexperienced QB ( in a different system on top of it ) and plenty of Offensive Line pass blocking question marks.

3. Collin Johnson looks like an X-factor. If produces in the red zone like then Lions Rookie TE Joseph Fauria did in 2013 as an UDRFA, Minshew Mania is going to spread on both sides of the Atlantic.

4. I thought T.J. Hockenson was a very good selection by the Lions with pick # 8 ( based on how the first 7 picks went and the Lions not trading back ). Yet, I was hoping the Jags would take Hockenson or Jawaan Taylor ( who the Jags shockingly were able to draft with pick # 35 ), in order for the Lions to draft Josh Allen with pick # 8. I didn't think Allen would get by the Giants at # 6, if he even lasted that long.

5. From my point of view, the current situation with Yannick Ngakoue puts a cloud on the Jaguars 2020 season more than anything none COVID-19 related. I'm not sure if there's a viable path to get the situation resolved that would satisfy both parties to the extent it would be in the best interest of the Jaguars. Ngakoue has differential skills. But how far can the Jaguars organization go to satisfy him contractually, w/o causing more damage than benefits???  It's going to take an innovative solution to resolve this. Not to mention, Ngakoue being willing to sign a contract extension. 

6. Devon Hamilton is another x factor, as well as the Jags overall NT situation vs. the run. Getting pass rush efficiency would be a bonus. So much depends on getting the opposition into expected passing situations, in which the talented edge rushers can tee off on the opposing QB. Not to mention, keeping the Defense fresh in the given game and in the overall long season.

7. If Press Man Coverage is the emphasis, I think Rashaan Melvin can handle the # 2 CB position as a stopgap. Keeping in mind, that his ball skills were a pronounced problem issue last season with the Lions. Melvin's lack of versatility is not ideal. But he can be a bridge in a highly specialized role.

8. D.J. Hayden overcame a life threatening football injury as a College Senior and other lesser injuries to get to where he's now. I'm happy for him!  In his one season with the Lions, Hayden was almost exclusively used on the outside ( not counting special teams ), playing about 1/3 of the time in a rotation with CB Nevin Lawson ( currently with the Raiders ). I thought Hayden was above avg. against the pass and below avg. vs. the run in 2017.  Keeping in mind that he wasn't playing his natural position.

9.  One additional Safety that I forgot was on the Jaguars roster, who is intriguing, is Josh Jones. He's a talented player, who couldn't stay on the field because of health often enough with the Packers. Both the Packers and Cowboys gave up on him. Jacksonville easily could be his final NFL opportunity. Maybe, a greater sense of urgency could lead to potential becoming production?  

My overall impression with the Jaguars Safety situation is that there are more differing opinions than at most, if not all, other position units on the team.

10. Who do you believe will emerge as the Primary Kickoff Returner and Primary Punt Returner for the Jaguars?

Thanks again for your terrific input and to everyone else who has been adding to this thread.

It's not hard at all to argue that the Lions had the best first two days of any team. Okudah, Swift, Okwara, and Jackson was an insane top 4.

(05-10-2020, 03:12 AM)D6 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 07:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Sorry just gonna ask a few questions myself!

1.  My estimate is around 65 % of Lions fans have already come to the conclusion that Matt Patricia is going to fail as Lions HC.   

There's no question on this end that Patricia was a high quality Defensive Coordinator.  If the Lions don't have much better tangible results in 2020, Patricia probably will be an NFL DC in 2021.  With an uphill battle to get another NFL HC opportunity.   

The # 1 question for me regarding Patricia as Lions HC is will be flexible enough regarding the Lions Defense  to make changes, if his core hybrid system doesn't produce noticeably better results early in the 2020 season?   The Lions have to generate a better pass rush and can't be overly dependent on coverage.  In fairness to Patricia,  injuries on Defense, especially the Defensive Line, made the job of the coaches extremely difficult this past season.  

2.  I'm a fan of Kerryon Johnson, as his running instincts are a major strength.  Kerryon doesn't have great speed and power.  Yet,  his feel for the game, slipperiness, and preparation help compensation for the most part.  He's an asset as a receiver.  He's somewhat inconsistent with blitz pickup execution.  Probably, because of the amount of missed practice and games because of injuries.  With the addition of D'Andre Swift and the better than expected rushing of Bo Scarbrough after he was promoted from the Practice Squad in mid-November,  the need for any of the RBs to be a bell cow has lessened.   One thing that jumps out regarding the Lions top 3 RBs is they all played their college ball in the SEC.  

The NFC North has indeed been a strong division.  Even just looking at the last several seasons,  Aaron Rodgers has been a differential player much more often than not when he's avoided injury. The Packers added the 'Smith Brothers' in FA last season and they made a huge difference off the edge on their Defense.  Mike Zimmer's Defense has caused the Lions Offensive Line and other blockers kept in for protection far more problems than any other Defense.  Dalvin Cook is a differential runner, with the ability to go the distance on any play.   The Bears Defense became very dangerous once they added Khalil Mack.  

Right now,  I think the division is wide open for the 2020 season.  If the Lions injury situation is on the favorable side,  anything less than at least being in the thick of the NFC playoff race ( that much more with 7 teams per Conference making the playoffs- which I remain totally against. )  will make it difficult to justify bring back Patricia for a 4th season.  With a total regime change probably necessary.

Thanks for the reply.

It certainly seems make or break for Patricia this year. I like the look of the Lions roster so far, got some real quality at a few positions, if Stafford can find that high level again and if the injury bug can stay away for a season i agree you guys have a shot at getting to the playoffs, then its a lottery.

You guys got screwed against the Chiefs last year but you had started pretty well. With the off season being as up in the air as it is, im not sure how prepared any team will be but it feels you guys need a good start to keep you going down the stretch.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 05:00 AM by jessepeck1213.)

(05-08-2020, 02:09 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Didn't the Vikings lose their entire defense? They aren't running away with that division. I'd actually favor the packers to win it.