Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Sign QB Glennon

(05-09-2020, 12:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 11:22 AM)Dimson Wrote: Cam wouldn't be a back up. He would only come here to start. We don't know what we have in Dobbs. We will find out in the preseason I suppose.
You asked Cam?

Glad you’re content going into the season with an unknown commodity at backup in Dobbs. Preseason won’t show what Dobbs has at all. He’s started and played in preseason games before.

They went in to last year with an unknown commodity in Minshew. So this is nothing new. Do you know if the Jags asked Cam? You don't.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-09-2020, 01:11 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 12:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You asked Cam?

Glad you’re content going into the season with an unknown commodity at backup in Dobbs. Preseason won’t show what Dobbs has at all. He’s started and played in preseason games before.

They went in to last year with an unknown commodity in Minshew. So this is nothing new. Do you know if the Jags asked Cam? You don't.
I don’t know if they did and never claimed they did talk to him. You said he doesn’t want to be a backup which is speculation.

Unknown in Minshew so hey! Guess it’ll work for Dobbs too. Perfect and problem solved.

I like this move for Minshew. This is a guy who has had a career in the league. Day to day routines are useful too. Foles and Him are great players to have learned from about how to be a pro. Just because their skill sets were not better than Minshew’s doesn’t mean they couldn’t teach him things about the day to day life of an NFL QB.

This is more of a mentor role than a playing role.

(05-09-2020, 12:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: Glennon is irrelevant overall but they are both tanking and trying to be competitive

Yes. Either Minshew is the franchise QB we've been waiting for, or we will be in line to draft Lawrence. Win win!

Of course based on the team history if Minshew disappoints we will end up just missing out of getting a franchise QB in the draft.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(05-09-2020, 02:33 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 12:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: Glennon is irrelevant overall but they are both tanking and trying to be competitive

Yes. Either Minshew is the franchise QB we've been waiting for, or we will be in line to draft Lawrence. Win win!

Of course based on the team history if Minshew disappoints we will end up just missing out of getting a franchise QB in the draft.

The far more likely result will be minshew will be average , we win like 5-6 games and then we don't take any QB round 1 because we think he just needs more support

(05-09-2020, 01:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:11 PM)Dimson Wrote: They went in to last year with an unknown commodity in Minshew. So this is nothing new. Do you know if the Jags asked Cam? You don't.
I don’t know if they did and never claimed they did talk to him. You said he doesn’t want to be a backup which is speculation.

Unknown in Minshew so hey! Guess it’ll work for Dobbs too. Perfect and problem solved.

It was indeed reported he did not want to play a backup role.  However, I am seeing articles from just today where he seems to be waivering a bit on that 'in the right situation'.

And, of course, the have Minshew's picture right under the story.  LOL.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2020, 06:51 PM by mal234.)

I think they do, at least for now. Which is one reason why I think they went heavy on defense in this latest draft. I think they feel like Minshew can do some of the same things he did last year to help try and keep the offense afloat/moving.

You know either one or two things going to happen either Gardner Minshew is going to rise to the occasion or we going to tank for Trevor or get real 4 fields.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(05-09-2020, 06:58 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: You know either one or two things going to happen either Gardner Minshew is going to rise to the occasion or we going to tank for Trevor or get real 4 fields.

or he's average and we get neither

(05-09-2020, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 06:58 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: You know either one or two things going to happen either Gardner Minshew is going to rise to the occasion or we going to tank for Trevor or get real 4 fields.

If you say so my good friend
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2020, 12:17 AM by Newton.)

Wasn’t this the same board arguing Minshew was the rookie of the year? Not sure why many seem to think minshew is bad enough for us to be the number 1 pick in a year now after what he did last year,

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2020, 11:55 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-10-2020, 12:17 AM)Newton Wrote: Wasn’t this the same board arguing Minshew was the rookie of the year? Not sure why many seem to think minshew is bad enough for us to be the number 1 pick in a year now after what he did last year,

First off, Vince Young was once rookie of the year, and you see how that turned out.

Secondly, Minshew had a good rookie year, but it isn't as if he didn't have his problems.  His numbers and productivity dropped off once teams got some tape on him.

The team did not get much help along the O-line, and also has a new offensive coordinator with a new system.

The schedule is also loaded with strong defenses, especially after the bye.

Defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland and the Chargers are on the schedule.

While there is a good chance Minshew will improve due to experience, it's also quite possible he will regress.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Minshew has marketability, the only thing that matters to the money hungry NFL owners.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-10-2020, 10:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Minshew has marketability, the only thing that matters to the money hungry NFL owners.

Well, that and the best knack for winning games of any Jags QB in ten years.

Which, I guess, is also important to NFL owners, especially the money hungry ones.

(05-09-2020, 01:42 PM)PS9 Wrote: I like this move for Minshew. This is a guy who has had a career in the league. Day to day routines are useful too. Foles and Him are great players to have learned from about how to be a pro. Just because their skill sets were not better than Minshew’s doesn’t mean they couldn’t teach him things about the day to day life of an NFL QB.

This is more of a mentor role than a playing role.

We thought the same about Henne backing up Gabbert and Bortles.

(05-10-2020, 12:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 12:17 AM)Newton Wrote: Wasn’t this the same board arguing Minshew was the rookie of the year? Not sure why many seem to think minshew is bad enough for us to be the number 1 pick in a year now after what he did last year,

First off, Vince Young was once rookie of the yearm and you see how that turned out.

Secondly, Minshew had a good rookie year, but it isn't as if he didn't have his problems.  his numbers and productivity dropped off once teams got some tape on him.

The team did not get much help along the O-line, and also has a new offensive coordinator with a new system.

The schedule is also loaded with strong defenses, especially after the bye.

Defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland and the Chargers.

While there is a good chance Minshew will improve due to experience, it's also quite possible he will regress.

Fair enough, but The statistical probability tends to argue against us ending up in last place looking at all the data. I’m not arguing for playoffs or anything like that. I’m just arguing that I think our floor is probably more around five wins. I think with the right breaks, we could make it to 8-8.

(05-09-2020, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:

If he's just average that won't be good enough to carry the team to even a mediocre record because the defense is way below average. Andy Dalton is average and look how that worked out for the Bengals.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(05-10-2020, 11:55 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: or he's average and we get neither

If he's just average that won't be good enough to carry the team to even a mediocre record because the defense is way below average. Andy Dalton is average and look how that worked out for the Bengals.

You can absolutely win 4-5 games with average QB play. Andy Dalton did not give average QB play last year ,  it was near league worst. 

I don't know why people are viewing the only outcomes as minshew good = wins and don't need QB or minshew bad = get tlaw or fields. It's not that simple at all. 

The Jags could finish 6-10 and still not know if minshew is worth going forward with pretty easily

At least now there is a competition for the backup qb position.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.