Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pandemic and Game Attendance -MERGED

I’m already expecting no nfl season in 2020
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2020, 05:45 AM)captivating Wrote: If USA took this seriously, there might be an NFL season.  But if it thinks it can go back to business in April, then infections will skyrocket and the 2020 and 2021 seasons wont happen.

bwahahaha.

MMmmmmmk.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 07:28 PM by Jags.)

In all seriousness, I have not seen anything on the draft this year.  Granted, I haven’t searched or looked into it.  But, what are they going to do? Surely, they’re  not gonna gather  in (whichever) city it’s supposed to be.  Will it be done from headquarters? Or will they postpone it?  Postponing seems a bit out of reach.  So I assume they have it but not quite the “get together” as normal.

(03-30-2020, 07:27 PM)Jags Wrote: In all seriousness, I have not seen anything on the draft this year.  Granted, I haven’t searched or looked into it.  But, what are they going to do? Surely, they’re  not gonna gather  in (whichever) city it’s supposed to be.  Will it be done from headquarters? Or will they postpone it?  Postponing seems a bit out of reach.  So I assume they have it but not quite the “get together” as normal.

Goodell made headlines last week when he announced the darft would continue as scheduled, but not at vegas. He also warned that criticism of the decision would be subject to discipline.

Going to be a lot of remote/warroom stuff with picks phoned in, I suspect.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020, 08:40 AM by RicoTx.)

My gut feel.  They'll start on time.  We'll see.

Or maybe that's just the chicken burritos from last night...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

OTA and Camp are going to be pushed back on the calendar and I think ultimately the season gets moved back and likely shortened.

Just my gut feel.

Or last night's mojo roasted pork.

For whatever it's worth, from the O-Zone today:

"Yes, though reports as of Tuesday were that the league will announce the 2020 schedule no later than May 9. Reports also were that the league plans to play a full schedule with no delays."
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 10:59 AM by Kane.)

(04-01-2020, 10:21 AM)Rico Wrote: For whatever it's worth, from the O-Zone today:

"Yes, though reports as of Tuesday were that the league will announce the 2020 schedule no later than May 9. Reports also were that the league plans to play a full schedule with no delays."

IMO, and I'm not a doctor or scientist but, Preseason is 5 months away, with the regular season 6 months out, I'd be planning to go ahead as scheduled too if I were the NFL. To think we (the greatest country in the world with an endless supply of money and resources) won't have a bead on this thing in that much time is silly.
This virus is here for good. It won't be completely eradicated likely ever. But life must go on at some point. This means gatherings in public places, sports, concerts, festivals...
If not July-August, when? December? 2021? It just seems crazy to me that so many people are taking the apocalyptic mindset that life is going to be so drastically altered for so long (and some people think for good) 

We're about to get peak numbers of cases and deaths this month and then it'll be on the downward slope by May I believe. I think by July 4th weekend life will be mostly back to some semblance of normal. There won't be OTAs but there will be a training camp I think, perhaps just a couple weeks leading into preseason.
If we're still preventing people from gathering in large numbers come September to combat this virus... it may very well signal the end of the world. That'd be 7 months straight of limiting social gatherings through spring and summer and with it still bad enough to continue into fall... I can not fathom it being that bad, as bad as it is right now.

(04-01-2020, 10:58 AM)Kane Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 10:21 AM)Rico Wrote: For whatever it's worth, from the O-Zone today:

IMO, and I'm not a doctor or scientist but, Preseason is 5 months away, with the regular season 6 months out, I'd be planning to go ahead as scheduled too if I were the NFL. To think we (the greatest country in the world with an endless supply of money and resources) won't have a bead on this thing in that much time is silly.
This virus is here for good. It won't be completely eradicated likely ever. But life must go on at some point. This means gatherings in public places, sports, concerts, festivals...
If not July-August, when? December? 2021? It just seems crazy to me that so many people are taking the apocalyptic mindset that life is going to be so drastically altered for so long (and some people think for good) 

We're about to get peak numbers of cases and deaths this month and then it'll be on the downward slope by May I believe. I think by July 4th weekend life will be mostly back to some semblance of normal. There won't be OTAs but there will be a training camp I think, perhaps just a couple weeks leading into preseason.
If we're still preventing people from gathering in large numbers come September to combat this virus... it may very well signal the end of the world. That'd be 7 months straight of limiting social gatherings through spring and summer and with it still bad enough to continue into fall... I can not fathom it being that bad, as bad as it is right now.

I was with you at the beginning. The league MUST prepare a full schedule, just in case things go as planned. You have to have a schedule. You don't know if, when, or for how long any delay may occur. You can't wait until a green light for gathering or play is given to begin the logistics of setting the full slate of games. Just because they schedule the games, though, doesn't mean they will all be played.

Don't be surprised if a lot of the conference games fall at the end of everyone's schedules. Those of course would be the last to cull from the schedule if there is a delay.

I'll reserve commentary on the short and long-term prognoses of curve-flattening to the political threads though.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-million-n...1585821600

Great move by Kraft. Hope to see all these billionaire owners fall in line.

Interested to see how this format with the NFL draft plays out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ual-format

It's going to be all virtual. I wonder if there will be any controversies that come out of it. My pick didn't go through, it refreshed when I selected my player, Bill Belichick cut my internet cord outside, etc.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-08-2020, 03:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Interested to see how this format with the NFL draft plays out.  

It's going to be all virtual. I wonder if there will be any controversies that come out of it. My pick didn't go through, it refreshed when I selected my player, Bill Belichick cut my internet cord outside, etc.

I can pretty well guarantee that guidance will be given to include redundancy - if you internet is farting, pick up the cell phone and call your GM/contact, and every team probably has a dedicated hotline into the official 'pick is in' center.

Teams will probably also be submitting picks earlier than the last 3 seconds of their allotted time, just to be safe.

I could see the league directing a call to the GM/owner when 30 seconds are on the clock, if only to establish a communication line to avoid a missed pick, or allowing a buffer between one pick lapsing and the next team's clock beginning.

It's not like the league has never conducted a teleconference.

(04-08-2020, 03:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Interested to see how this format with the NFL draft plays out.  

We need to get people planted in all the cable providers and electric companies in Nashville, Indianapolis and Houston..........ready to flip the switch at just the right moment...….
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-09-2020, 10:42 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I can pretty well guarantee that guidance will be given to include redundancy - if you internet is farting, pick up the cell phone and call your GM/contact, and every team probably has a dedicated hotline into the official 'pick is in' center.

Teams will probably also be submitting picks earlier than the last 3 seconds of their allotted time, just to be safe.

I could see the league directing a call to the GM/owner when 30 seconds are on the clock, if only to establish a communication line to avoid a missed pick, or allowing a buffer between one pick lapsing and the next team's clock beginning.

It's not like the league has never conducted a teleconference.

I remember watching old clips of how they conducted the draft back in the day. I am sure a multi billion dollar sports company will have back-up plans A - Z in place. I was just having fun with the situation. I expect a Mike Tice moment out of this format for some reason. Maybe for entertainment value on my end. As long as it doesn't involve our team messing something up. I am content.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

if there is a nfl season how do we protect all  of the players coaches, and fans if allowed from the convi 19?  Rember i have always said a persons health is more imporent then football,yes i would miss it if theres  not a season,but i would rather 

miss it,and keep everyone healthy,and safe. so heres the question now what safe ways could we have a nfl season,and keep everyone safe espailsy the players who get closer then 6 feet,and have contact with each other?

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Maybe Nike can make every team their own custom hazmat suits to play in.

Every player and coach gets an all expenses paid 3 week vacation to a NYC nursing home so they contract and get over the virus by August 1st.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Nothing you can do. If you get within 6 feet of someone, you both die. I seen it on the news.

I think they just have to keep the players under a pseudo quarantine (no eating out, going to clubs, etc) and test them frequently. Players who test positive have to sit. Perhaps rapid testing sensitivity will improve by then and can be used before the games. Older coaches would coach from the booth. Maybe the stadiums require mask wearing and only fill to 1/3 capacity to keep social distancing to some degree, with scheduled entrance times based on ticket number. Discourage those 65 or older from attending.

I still think we are going to have a full season. The NFL is too valuable to this country’s psyche to not have a season. College may be different.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020, 10:24 PM by mal234.)

The NFL has said that facilities can start to reopen their facilities as long their states allow them to do and it in accordance to their state's regulations. Though right now coaching staff is prohbitied from going to them during this phase one of reopening. Here is some more information about this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-says-teams-...--nfl.html

As far as looking out for people during this time if sports like the NFL try to resume/continue:

I believe there is a very strong/likely chance that the amount of fans that will be allowed to attend games will be limited. There may not be any fans allowed to attend games at all. If either one of these things happens, that could go a ways to help protecting fans.

As far as protecting the players/staff/employees goes:

They need to be careful and take some of the same precautionary steps that those of us who are still out in the workplace/essential workers have to do.It's not ideal that they wear masks all of the time, but they can do things like practice good hygiene/hand washing/keep an appropriate amount of distance when possible. Also limit where they go right now through this offseason all the way through the regular season/post season. They can limit their travel and the amount of people they interact with. They can live a bit more rigidly for now and I do believe a lot of them are willing to do that, if it means they can possibly have some type of NFL season. The NFL can also potentially cut down on the amount of traveling that will be done next season for teams and maybe shorten the season as well.

And players need to take care of themselves. Eating right, especially eating drinking things that can strengthen their immune system, getting enough sleep and a nice amount of exercise/sunshine. I think this could go a ways towards keeping them healthy.

Young healthier people have gotten COVID, but a lot of people that get COVID are high risk people. I just posted an article in the COVID thread about how last week the governor was saying that 66% of the new cases in NY were people who were staying at home, including a lot of unemployed/retired people. He stated he was shocked by these results and they go to show that staying at home isn't a guarantee for not getting this disease, especially if you're in a higher risk group anyway.

People just have to do the best they can and take care of themselves as best as they can. NFL players and athletes are fortunately in a situation where they can do this better than a lot of people, because of the resources available to them and due to a lot of them having wealth. Taking care of their health can definitely help them not fall into some of the higher risk categories that people are in, to get COVID and potentially other diseases in the future.