Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Offseason and the "Win-Now" Concern

There were a few threads and many posts spread about the board over the months leading up to the draft that expressed worry about how the front office would approach the team's needs. 
Many expressed concern Caldwell would overpay free agents to plug a few holes and reach for needs in the draft missing value on better players in an effort to win now. 

By and large, that's just not how it has played out. 
Many needs have summarily been addressed, no doubt. But not in the fashion that many alarmists feared in February. 
Free agent acquisitions have been strategically moderate investments outside of the Schobert signing and the draft saw very little reaching while still addressing need.
 Many see the Henderson pick as a bit of a reach, but the subsequent run on cornerbacks proved it to be at least somewhat warranted.  We'll have to see him play to know if the value is truly there for #9 overall. 

Johnson, Bartch and Shenault are being heralded by most draftniks as fantastic value picks. Chaisson is considered a very good pick by most. 

I just don't see any of the predicted desperation around this offseason that fans feared and it seems clear the Jags aren't acting as if the GM and HC are in a lame duck scenario.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good recap NYC and that is the conundrum that this offeseason shows. Is this really a win or else scenario for the coaches, staff and front office? It would seem they aren't going anywhere and that this is a draft and develop year.

I don't like the coaches and have mixed feelings on the front office. This organization seems very two faced with a public message and then behind the scenes it is a different world. Too many disgruntled players, NFLPA complaints, etc
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(05-18-2020, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I just don't see any of the predicted desperation around this offseason that fans feared and it seems clear the Jags aren't acting as if the GM and HC are in a lame duck scenario.

We did the same thing as any other team the hired a new GM and a new Coach to start the rebuilding process.

Wait, what?  We're starting a rebuild with the existing front office.  Now, that's a new one. That said, I do think we are about 3 years away.  Hopefully it's not 3 years away from another rebuild.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 02:59 PM by MojoKing.)

am I the only one thinking we actually SHOULD tank?

Does this season actually matter?
No fans in the stands, no offseason programs, and were not in a position to win a SB

Lets tank, you can't go to the games anyways, and this season will forever have an asterisk next to it.

You're gonna have an NFL season thats unlike any other AND you have TWO QB prospects that are likely to be great in the NFL

What better year to tank than this one?

There were a lot of us, including yourself, that stated the across the board rawness of our draft was a strong indicator that our front office (or at least Caldwell) is not feeling that his seat is hot at all.

(05-18-2020, 03:02 PM)Upper Wrote: There were a lot of us, including yourself, that stated the across the board rawness of our draft was a strong indicator that our front office (or at least Caldwell) is not feeling that his seat is hot at all.

I doubt they have a hot seat this year.  I have been doubtful they had an or else plan for this year.  It is what it is and it is complicated by all the non football stuff as well.  And with a hit to revenue, a big hit to revenue this year, owner probably wants to sit on the staff and GM even more.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(05-18-2020, 02:58 PM)MojoKing Wrote: am I the only one thinking we actually SHOULD tank?

No fans in the stands, no offseason programs, and were not in a position to win a SB

Lets tank, you can't go to the games anyways, and this season will forever have an asterisk next to it.

You're gonna have an NFL season thats unlike any other AND you have TWO QB prospects that are likely to be great in the NFL

Just win baby!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-18-2020, 03:02 PM)Upper Wrote: There were a lot of us, including yourself, that stated the across the board rawness of our draft was a strong indicator that our front office (or at least Caldwell) is not feeling that his seat is hot at all.

Right. Which flys in the face of all those who declared Caldwell would draft and sign players to save his job rather than endeavor to repair the roster with 2021 and beyond in mind. 
Now there’s a thread about it because I’m bored and there’s very little jags news ATM.

(05-18-2020, 03:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Right. Which flys in the face of all those who declared Caldwell would draft and sign players to save his job rather than endeavor to repair the roster with 2021 and beyond in mind. 
Now there’s a thread about it because I’m bored and there’s very little jags news ATM.

I believe when he had his meeting with Khan, he laid out a plan for rebuilding/turning the team around and I am certain he set a definite time line to get it done. He would not be with the team, if Khan did not agree to his plan.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 03:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Right. Which flys in the face of all those who declared Caldwell would draft and sign players to save his job rather than endeavor to repair the roster with 2021 and beyond in mind. 

I believe when he had his meeting with Khan, he laid out a plan for rebuilding/turning the team around and I am certain he set a definite time line to get it done. He would not be with the team, if Khan did not agree to his plan.

Yes. “The plan” Marrone and Caldwell sold Khan on appears to be one that extends beyond 2020.

We will not be tanking. We have guys fighting for their careers out there, and coaching knows a truly debacle of a season would Possibly lead to an earlier exit than planned.

(05-18-2020, 02:58 PM)MojoKing Wrote: am I the only one thinking we actually SHOULD tank?

I'm with you 100%

I’m sure you’ll get roasted for this but I’m with you. There’s just no way to we’ll be competitive. I’m not stressing over 2 wins vs 4 if we go all out. I know it’s not optimal, not a lot of people want to hear it, but after years of below average football, I’m not hurting over one more season if there’s a rainbow at the end of this weird season

I am optimistic that this is a win or else year for the coaches and front office. I think if they are below 8-8 they will be replaced.

I just think that either:
The front office has chosen to do it's job with integrity and respect for the future of the organization.
The front office is being closely observed and checked by Tony Khan. He of course has the long term in mind.

If it is the first option, it looks really good for Caldwell and Marrone in their next opportunity.
If it is the second option, credit to Tony. He gets a lot of grief here, but this would be one potential advantage of his involvement.

Dave and Doug made this draft with their feet propped up on the desk. Dave and Doug could go 4-12 and keep their job. Khan would just excuse it as a rebuilding phase.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Never try to lose. The draft is a crap shoot. The two QB prospects everyone is talking about are likely to be great but are just that...prospects. I also have a feeling we may have our franchise QB. Extrapolated out for a 16 season, Minshew could well have thrown for 4500 yards and 26 TDs as a rookie. If that doesn't get you amped up at his potential, then I guess you should keep dreaming about some HOFer who may never materialize.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Tanking is not necessarily "trying to lose". We understand the players and coaches attempt to win every game. In the case of the Jags, the term tanking is parallel with the fact that the GM and Owner are not putting the team in the best position to win this year and have actually taken adverse measures to sacrifice winning in 2020 for a much better future.

(05-18-2020, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were a few threads and many posts spread about the board over the months leading up to the draft that expressed worry about how the front office would approach the team's needs. 
Many expressed concern Caldwell would overpay free agents to plug a few holes and reach for needs in the draft missing value on better players in an effort to win now. 

By and large, that's just not how it has played out. 
Many needs have summarily been addressed, no doubt. But not in the fashion that many alarmists feared in February. 
Free agent acquisitions have been strategically moderate investments outside of the Schobert signing and the draft saw very little reaching while still addressing need.
 Many see the Henderson pick as a bit of a reach, but the subsequent run on cornerbacks proved it to be at least somewhat warranted.  We'll have to see him play to know if the value is truly there for #9 overall. 

Johnson, Bartch and Shenault are being heralded by most draftniks as fantastic value picks. Chaisson is considered a very good pick by most. 

I just don't see any of the predicted desperation around this offseason that fans feared and it seems clear the Jags aren't acting as if the GM and HC are in a lame duck scenario.

Good thread.

Back at the beginning of the year I was definitely one of the posters who was worried that retaining Caldwell and Marrone under a supposed "win-now" mandate would lead to some damaging short-termism. To be fair, you were absolutely right to point out that Caldwell said he would stick to his team building philosophy, and that's exactly what he has done. Credit to him for that, and to you for calling it.

I think it's become increasingly clear that all the shouting about win-now that Doug and others were doing at the start of the off-season was not as concrete as it seemed. I think Dave realized the best way to get this team's arrow pointing up again was to cull the aging vets with big cap hits, and replace them with as many high-quality and high-character young players as possible. I think Dave is aware that Khan is a very patient owner (arguably to a fault), and Dave knows if he can point to a young, ascending team at the end of next season, that's probably his best chance of continued employment. That idea will horrify many on here, but I understand the logic behind it.

I'm pleased with how Caldwell has gone about the off-season, even if I would have done several things differently myself (as if that matters one iota). I still don't think we are close to a winning season next year, but I do feel the arrow is pointing up again. I think we are in a good position to be truly competitive in 2021 and onwards.

We've heard the 'next season must be better of there will be changes' from Khan before and he doesnt always mean it.

Part of me thinks before the NFLPA story with Coughlin, Khan was ready to let him go nuclear with the team and give him one more chance to build it his way but after that story, Coughlin was done.

It feels like Caldwell, Marrone and Wash have convinced Khan that they built a team one whistle from the SB and Couglin destroyed it and they can do it again. It certainly doesnt feel 'win now' letting players like Calais and Bouye go.

I think they feel if they can inprove to a 6-10, 7-9, it shows 'progress' and they are on the right path. The moves they have made have filled holes but this roster had a lot of holes to fill.

(05-19-2020, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: We've heard the 'next season must be better of there will be changes' from Khan before and he doesnt always mean it.

Part of me thinks before the NFLPA story with Coughlin, Khan was ready to let him go nuclear with the team and give him one more chance to build it his way but after that story, Coughlin was done.

It feels like Caldwell, Marrone and Wash have convinced Khan that they built a team one whistle from the SB and Couglin destroyed it and they can do it again. It certainly doesnt feel 'win now' letting players like Calais and Bouye go.

I think they feel if they can inprove to a 6-10, 7-9, it shows 'progress' and they are on the right path. The moves they have made have filled holes but this roster had a lot of holes to fill.

Well said.

One reason why I'm inclined to give Khan the benefit of the doubt in his decision to retain them is that he obviously has a far greater knowledge of who was responsible for the the big decisions that backfired over the last few years. He naturally will know more than we as fans, or even the journalists covering the team, will ever know. So it was probably a case of Dave and Doug not needing to point the finger at Tom, because Khan was already aware of the situation. That still leads to other questions about why Tom was still around anyway, though.