Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Offseason and the "Win-Now" Concern

(05-19-2020, 02:28 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: We've heard the 'next season must be better of there will be changes' from Khan before and he doesnt always mean it.

Part of me thinks before the NFLPA story with Coughlin, Khan was ready to let him go nuclear with the team and give him one more chance to build it his way but after that story, Coughlin was done.

It feels like Caldwell, Marrone and Wash have convinced Khan that they built a team one whistle from the SB and Couglin destroyed it and they can do it again. It certainly doesnt feel 'win now' letting players like Calais and Bouye go.

I think they feel if they can inprove to a 6-10, 7-9, it shows 'progress' and they are on the right path. The moves they have made have filled holes but this roster had a lot of holes to fill.

Well said.

One reason why I'm inclined to give Khan the benefit of the doubt in his decision to retain them is that he obviously has a far greater knowledge of who was responsible for the the big decisions that backfired over the last few years. He naturally will know more than we as fans, or even the journalists covering the team, will ever know. So it was probably a case of Dave and Doug not needing to point the finger at Tom, because Khan was already aware of the situation. That still leads to other questions about why Tom was still around anyway, though.

I feel Tom was a PR move gone wrong. I genuinely believe Khan wanted to bring in someone for that role, he just chose the obvious wrong guy.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is a mistake to keep using 2017 as anything but a blip on the franchise radar. Take advantage of free NFL Rewind and it was great defensive play as the constant. That team was not a championship squad. I enjoyed the season but I am tired of the use of that season as anything other than what it really was, a missed opportunity.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(05-19-2020, 03:03 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: It is a mistake to keep using 2017 as anything but a blip on the franchise radar.  Take advantage of free NFL Rewind and it was great defensive play as the constant.  That team was not a championship squad.  I enjoyed the season but I am tired of the use of that season as anything other than what it really was, a missed opportunity.

You’re right. It took me a while to finally reflect and realize that that group of guys were just a bunch of selfish, overpaid, immature, talented players. Although I believe we earned a trip to the SB.. you don’t go from worst to first In that kind of fashion.

(05-18-2020, 03:41 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:58 PM)MojoKing Wrote: am I the only one thinking we actually SHOULD tank?

Does this season actually matter?
No fans in the stands, no offseason programs, and were not in a position to win a SB

Lets tank, you can't go to the games anyways, and this season will forever have an asterisk next to it.

You're gonna have an NFL season thats unlike any other AND you have TWO QB prospects that are likely to be great in the NFL

What better year to tank than this one?

I'm with you 100%

Only losers want to lose.

Losers.

(05-19-2020, 02:28 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 11:51 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: We've heard the 'next season must be better of there will be changes' from Khan before and he doesnt always mean it.

Part of me thinks before the NFLPA story with Coughlin, Khan was ready to let him go nuclear with the team and give him one more chance to build it his way but after that story, Coughlin was done.

It feels like Caldwell, Marrone and Wash have convinced Khan that they built a team one whistle from the SB and Couglin destroyed it and they can do it again. It certainly doesnt feel 'win now' letting players like Calais and Bouye go.

I think they feel if they can inprove to a 6-10, 7-9, it shows 'progress' and they are on the right path. The moves they have made have filled holes but this roster had a lot of holes to fill.

Well said.

One reason why I'm inclined to give Khan the benefit of the doubt in his decision to retain them is that he obviously has a far greater knowledge of who was responsible for the the big decisions that backfired over the last few years. He naturally will know more than we as fans, or even the journalists covering the team, will ever know. So it was probably a case of Dave and Doug not needing to point the finger at Tom, because Khan was already aware of the situation. That still leads to other questions about why Tom was still around anyway, though.

Thanks.

I certainly agree that there were behind the scenes going ons that we fans had no idea about so we can only try and guess what was going on. I don't think we will ever hear, but after 2017 we had that 3-1 start, very good win over the Patriots, and this team went full nose dive. How? What set it off? It really feels like something was said or done but its like you say, guessing at what actually happened.

I certainly feel 2017 has been used to cover and justify down years and poor performance.

(05-18-2020, 02:58 PM)MojoKing Wrote: am I the only one thinking we actually SHOULD tank?

No fans in the stands, no offseason programs, and were not in a position to win a SB

Lets tank, you can't go to the games anyways, and this season will forever have an asterisk next to it.

You're gonna have an NFL season thats unlike any other AND you have TWO QB prospects that are likely to be great in the NFL

How do you do this?  Tell all the players to not play hard even if this team is good enough to win?   You tell the team to play their [BLEEP] off and prepare this team to go out there and win this division.  With Minshew and a run D I think we got a real shot at the division.  Talking before we have even played a game is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard unless you are just a loser.  Some people just have that loser mentality i guess.  We finally may have our first franchise QB since Brunell and people want to tank lol

How pathetic.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-21-2020, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

How do you do this?  Tell all the players to not play hard even if this team is good enough to win?   You tell the team to play their [BLEEP] off and prepare this team to go out there and win this division.  With Minshew and a run D I think we got a real shot at the division.  Talking before we have even played a game is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard unless you are just a loser.  Some people just have that loser mentality i guess.  We finally may have our first franchise QB since Brunell and people want to tank lol
I’m not advocating tanking but it’s actually pretty easy to do.

You just put out inferior players. The players and coaches still play to win but they’re just not as talented. Sixers did it for years. Fins did it last season and ended up winning a couple games at the end costing them their #1 pick.

Also, a real shot at the division?! Dude. They’re by far the least talented team in the division with the worst QB in the division. Minshew may end up being good but at this moment, he’s the 4th best QB in the division. That doesn’t scream division winner.

Quit telling me and show me for a change..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(05-21-2020, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How do you do this?  Tell all the players to not play hard even if this team is good enough to win?   You tell the team to play their [BLEEP] off and prepare this team to go out there and win this division.  With Minshew and a run D I think we got a real shot at the division.  Talking before we have even played a game is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard unless you are just a loser.  Some people just have that loser mentality i guess.  We finally may have our first franchise QB since Brunell and people want to tank lol
I’m not advocating tanking but it’s actually pretty easy to do.

You just put out inferior players. The players and coaches still play to win but they’re just not as talented. Sixers did it for years. Fins did it last season and ended up winning a couple games at the end costing them their #1 pick.

Also, a real shot at the division?! Dude. They’re by far the least talented team in the division with the worst QB in the division. Minshew may end up being good but at this moment, he’s the 4th best QB in the division. That doesn’t scream division winner.

The best part is, by the end of the season we can look back and say Minshew was the best QB in the division. That is the beauty of playing all 16 games. You just never know.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-21-2020, 10:05 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m not advocating tanking but it’s actually pretty easy to do.

The best part is, by the end of the season we can look back and say Minshew was the best QB in the division. That is the beauty of playing all 16 games. You just never know.
Highly doubtful he can be better than Watson but if he improves, he can maybe be better than Tannehill and Rivers.

Minshew gives us a chance to win every game we play in. I’m happy with a competitive .500 team

(05-21-2020, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 10:05 AM)Dimson Wrote: The best part is, by the end of the season we can look back and say Minshew was the best QB in the division. That is the beauty of playing all 16 games. You just never know.
Highly doubtful he can be better than Watson but if he improves, he can maybe be better than Tannehill and Rivers.

You may be right but at this point, we know what Watson is and it's hard to say where Minshew's ceiling is. Worst case would be that he's already reached it but does anyone really believe that?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-21-2020, 12:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Highly doubtful he can be better than Watson but if he improves, he can maybe be better than Tannehill and Rivers.

You may be right but at this point, we know what Watson is and it's hard to say where Minshew's ceiling is. Worst case would be that he's already reached it but does anyone really believe that?

I think we'll really know what we have in Minshew within the first 4 games of the season.
With the shortened (or non existent) off season programs, how much does he improve and can he come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

I know our schedule is "softer" on the front end, but if he comes out and plays well early and especially if we're winning games we'll be able to tell if he's "the real deal".
If he falters early and often, we'll probably be able to look toward the draft early (per the usual) and start figuring out if its Fields or Lawrence (hopefully there's a college season, and for now it seems there will be outside of maybe the PAC12 and a few other schools)

(05-21-2020, 12:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Highly doubtful he can be better than Watson but if he improves, he can maybe be better than Tannehill and Rivers.

I don’t actually think Watson has hit his ceiling yet because the kid is only 24 (same age as Minshew actually). He’s still got room to grow.

I think Minshew has room to grow as well but Watson is already a top 3-8 QB and is only 24.

(05-21-2020, 12:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote: You may be right but at this point, we know what Watson is and it's hard to say where Minshew's ceiling is. Worst case would be that he's already reached it but does anyone really believe that?
I don’t actually think Watson has hit his ceiling yet because the kid is only 24 (same age as Minshew actually). He’s still got room to grow.

I think Minshew has room to grow as well but Watson is already a top 3-8 QB and is only 24.

Top 3?? 

I don't know about that. 

Hopefully the tinhorns let O'Brien continue controlling the roster and we never know Watson's true potential.

(05-21-2020, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t actually think Watson has hit his ceiling yet because the kid is only 24 (same age as Minshew actually). He’s still got room to grow.

Top 3?? 

I don't know about that. 

Hopefully the tinhorns let O'Brien continue controlling the roster and we never know Watson's true potential.
That’s why I said 3-8. I think the top can be assembled in some order of:

1. Mahomes
2. Wilson
3. Rodgers
4. Watson
5. Lamar
6. Brady 
7. Brees 
8. Stafford/Ryan

(05-21-2020, 01:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Top 3?? 

I don't know about that. 

That’s why I said 3-8. I think the top can be assembled in some order of:

1. Mahomes
2. Wilson
3. Rodgers
4. Watson
5. Lamar
6. Brady 
7. Brees 
8. Stafford/Ryan

Watson doesn't get above 6 on that list for me.

(05-21-2020, 12:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote: You may be right but at this point, we know what Watson is and it's hard to say where Minshew's ceiling is. Worst case would be that he's already reached it but does anyone really believe that?

The old rule of thumb is that a QB reaches his potential after 50 starts. Watson has 38. He may get a little better but the improvements will be more subtle from this point out. He's pretty damn good though and if Minshew isn't better but can at least get in the same conversation, I'd be happy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-21-2020, 03:59 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t actually think Watson has hit his ceiling yet because the kid is only 24 (same age as Minshew actually). He’s still got room to grow.

The old rule of thumb is that a QB reaches his potential after 50 starts. Watson has 38. He may get a little better but the improvements will be more subtle from this point out. He's pretty damn good though and if Minshew isn't better but can at least get in the same conversation, I'd be happy.
That’s ideal man.

If Minshew becomes the guy then the rest becomes much much easier.