Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Expectations/Plans for Jags new offense under Gruden

(05-24-2020, 08:42 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 07:26 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Shenault will have a lot of games like this:

5 receptions for 75 yards and 1 TD
Punt Ret Yards - 35 yards
Kickoff Ret Yards - 30 yards
1 rush for 12 yards

In other words the kid can flat out fly and he’s built like a Hines Ward. He has another gear on the level of Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor. He’s not a world class sprinter but he’s the type of dude that was born to play football.

We got super lucky with this kid. I can’t believe he wasn’t taken in the first round. I’m completely in love with him. Straight up stud.

I don't think he's particularly fast. His 40 time is listed at 4.58. I know that sometimes doesn't translate but he is crazy physical. He's definitely not fast in the Fred Taylor mold but has some characteristics in common with Jimmy. I'm hoping he can be another Andre Johnson but only time will tell.

I'm not sure if Andre is going to turn out to be the best comp, but that would be fantastic. 

If I had to guess, I see him turning out more like partly large-scale Steve Smith, part Ty Montgomery, and part Hines Ward with better YAC ability.  He has a unique tool box and prototypical size to possess such skills. 

Not a burner in the speed category, but he's got that little nitrous boost he kicks in briefly here and there that makes his elusiveness really pay off at times.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Shenault is thick Cordarelle Patterson. Manufacture easy ways to get him the ball with room to run and he'll be useful right away (but lol at the dude that said he'd get ~2000 total yards as a rook), and hopefully he develops so he can be more than that in a couple of years.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 10:58 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-24-2020, 08:42 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 07:26 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Shenault will have a lot of games like this:

1 rush for 12 yards

In other words the kid can flat out fly and he’s built like a Hines Ward. He has another gear on the level of Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor. He’s not a world class sprinter but he’s the type of dude that was born to play football.

We got super lucky with this kid. I can’t believe he wasn’t taken in the first round. I’m completely in love with him. Straight up stud.

I don't think he's particularly fast. His 40 time is listed at 4.58. I know that sometimes doesn't translate but he is crazy physical. He's definitely not fast in the Fred Taylor mold but has some characteristics in common with Jimmy. I'm hoping he can be another Andre Johnson but only time will tell.

He was injured when he ran the 4.58, but yeah, he is not as fast as Fred. 
Andre Johnson was 6'3, 230, 4.40 speed and was a top 5 WR with garbage QBs and O-line. I doubt Shenault gets close to that and he is nowhere near the freak AJ was.

BTW Boldin was hurt too, if I remember correctly, when he ran 4.7.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-24-2020, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 08:42 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I don't think he's particularly fast. His 40 time is listed at 4.58. I know that sometimes doesn't translate but he is crazy physical. He's definitely not fast in the Fred Taylor mold but has some characteristics in common with Jimmy. I'm hoping he can be another Andre Johnson but only time will tell.

I'm not sure if Andre is going to turn out to be the best comp, but that would be fantastic. 

If I had to guess, I see him turning out more like partly large-scale Steve Smith, part Ty Montgomery, and part Hines Ward with better YAC ability.  He has a unique tool box and prototypical size to possess such skills. 

Not a burner in the speed category, but he's got that little nitrous boost he kicks in briefly here and there that makes his elusiveness really pay off at times.

(05-24-2020, 10:58 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 08:42 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I don't think he's particularly fast. His 40 time is listed at 4.58. I know that sometimes doesn't translate but he is crazy physical. He's definitely not fast in the Fred Taylor mold but has some characteristics in common with Jimmy. I'm hoping he can be another Andre Johnson but only time will tell.

He was injured when he ran the 4.58, but yeah, he is not as fast as Fred. 
Andre Johnson was 6'3, 230, 4.40 speed and was a top 5 WR with garbage QBs and O-line. I doubt Shenault gets close to that and he is nowhere near the freak AJ was.

BTW Boldin was hurt too, if I remember correctly, when he ran 4.7.

Physically AJ and Shenault are similar. AJ was a bit taller and a little bit faster but he's in the same mold in terms of both being big physical play makers who can get open. Boldin was the other guy I was going to compare him to. I think he can be that kind of a player for the Jags. We'll see.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

1 rush for 12 yards

He'd need to average 68 ypg receiving to reach 1000 receiving yards for the year.

If he averages those numbers you have over the course of his rookie year, that's over 2400 all purpose yards. 

That would exceed all reasonable expectations for him under the circumstances.

Of course, my preference would be for him to be so valuable at WR he wouldn't be utilized much, if at all, on punt or kick returns.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I read where Shenault is a 4.3 guy but ran a 4.58 with an injury. But really none of that matters...Matt Jones ran a 4.3 and was the slowest WR in the NFL.

Shenault has another gear with the ball in his hands. He looks to score much like a Steve Smith with some Sammy Watkins in him too.

Of all of the comments Chris Thompson made in that conference call about Gruden's offense, this one gives me the most hope:

"I know Jay is super-creative with his offense, so there may be some sets where we may be able to get a couple of running backs out there on the field at the same time."

I would love to see this and any other attempts at obfuscating whether or not #27 is taking a hand-off.

I actually didn't like the Gruden hire at first, I guess that was mainly because i really didn't like him as a HC. Looking back at his tenure as OC at Cincinnati however.. I am excited about what the future will hold for our offense. Plus, we got MInshew

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-25-2020, 04:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I read where Shenault is a 4.3 guy but ran a 4.58 with an injury. But really none of that matters...Matt Jones ran a 4.3 and was the slowest WR in the NFL.

Shenault has another gear with the ball in his hands. He looks to score much like a Steve Smith with some Sammy Watkins in him too.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I also read somewhere CJ Henderson really rans a 4.1 but he didn't out of respect for Chris Johnson, Ross and mostly for Deion Sanders.

(05-25-2020, 09:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I actually didn't like the Gruden hire at first, I guess that was mainly because i really didn't like him as a HC. Looking back at his tenure as OC at Cincinnati however.. I am excited about what the future will hold for our offense. Plus, we got MInshew

And there's already people in here that want him to take over Marrone after this year  Sick
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 11:25 AM by JaguarKick.)

(05-25-2020, 10:40 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 04:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I read where Shenault is a 4.3 guy but ran a 4.58 with an injury. But really none of that matters...Matt Jones ran a 4.3 and was the slowest WR in the NFL.

I also read somewhere CJ Henderson really rans a 4.1 but he didn't out of respect for Chris Johnson, Ross and mostly for Deion Sanders.

(05-25-2020, 09:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I actually didn't like the Gruden hire at first, I guess that was mainly because i really didn't like him as a HC. Looking back at his tenure as OC at Cincinnati however.. I am excited about what the future will hold for our offense. Plus, we got MInshew

And there's already people in here that want him to take over Marrone after this year  Sick

Gruden was a fantastic OC, and I think if he had the ability to be HC for a team that wasn't a dumpster fire from ownership on down to roster he probably would have been successful.  He finally got a good QB in Smith and then he got Theisman'd.

Unfortunately, our team is also a dumpster fire from ownership on down, so it's doubtful he'd have success here either.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 11:40 AM by mal234.)

Mike Glennon has said very recently that he feels comfortable with Jay's offense, because in some ways it's similar to John's. He's glad for the continuity in offense. He mentioned a little about being in the virtual meetings with Jay, Ben McAdoo and the other Qb's. He hasn't really met Gardner/the other QB's yet, but he's excited to get to work and meet them. It's good that Mike also has familarity with Jay's type of offense and I definitely think that could help the young offensive players on this team.

https://247sports.com/Article/Jacksonvil...147455170/

The Jags are supposed to open up their facility up tomorrow, though coaches and players won't be able to go back right away. When they are able to do that, that will definitely help them. So will get the chance to play/practice together. I was looking at the recent video of Gardner/working out/throwing the ball around that was posted in the Minshew Mania thread and I was trying to see who he was throwing to. He was throwing to at least one NFL player (and maybe some college players as well), Quez Watkins who was drafted in the sixth round to the Eagles this year.

I'm glad Gardner is working out with some NFL players, and I would like to see him workout with his own teammates. Hopefully, he can do that shortly. With the traditional plans being altered due to the virus, I hope the players, especially the young ones can get as much practice/learning time they can get.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 11:28 AM by JagJohn.)

(05-25-2020, 10:40 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

Except, your deliberately ridiculous hypothetical situation is stupid, whereas the idea of an athlete's performance being affected by a niggling injury is an everyday real occurrence.
In this case, it was pretty much widely expected that Shenault would run faster than that, and it was widely acknowledged that he was dealing with an injury at the combine.
I know many on here see things through a delusionally positive lens, but in the case of Shenault's injury affecting his athletic testing at the combine, that is pretty much accepted fact.
Tbh, I'm much more worried about the injury aspect than I am about any of his testing numbers.

"I wasn't able to train for everything because of my injury," Shenault said, via ESPN's Jeff Legwold. "I had to do a lot of resting and rehabbing."

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(05-25-2020, 11:35 AM)JagJohn Wrote: "I wasn't able to train for everything because of my injury," Shenault said, via ESPN's Jeff Legwold. "I had to do a lot of resting and rehabbing."

Which I even posted here (a few posts above). He was injured, doesn't mean he runs 4.3.

Fast doesn't mean straight line speed in a 40 time. How many times has LF gotten out in open space and outrun everyone? He is faster, but you hardly ever get out in free space to get up to speed. You need someone who can quickly get up to top speed and maintain it while changing directions. That is more important than 40 times.

(05-25-2020, 04:57 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

Fast doesn't mean straight line speed in a 40 time. How many times has LF gotten out in open space and outrun everyone? He is faster, but you hardly ever get out in free space to get up to speed. You need someone who can quickly get up to top speed and maintain it while changing directions. That is more important than 40 times.

No, I get it. There are a lot of factors that go into how a player performs on the field. But the response was to someone who said he was as fast as Fred Taylor. Fred was freakishly fast (especially for his size). I think Shenault is going to end up being very productive for us but it will be in spite of not because of his ability to outrun people.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Yeah I am not worried about shenault. Can’t wait for some real ball so we can leave this theoretical realm.

(05-25-2020, 04:57 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

I think Gruden will use the pass to set up the run. The ball should get out quicker, which will help the offensive line out.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

I had a dream last night that it was opening day and I forgot to turn the game on. I turned the TV on mid-2nd quarter, expecting us to be losing per usual. We were beating some team 10-3, Minshew was injured, and the commentators wouldn’t quit talking about how impressed they were with Gruden’s offense. I hope all of this happens, besides the Minshew injury of course lol.