Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Expectations/Plans for Jags new offense under Gruden

(05-26-2020, 07:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I had a dream last night that it was opening day and I forgot to turn the game on. I turned the TV on mid-2nd quarter, expecting us to be losing per usual. We were beating some team 10-3, Minshew was injured, and the commentators wouldn’t quit talking about how impressed they were with Gruden’s offense. I hope all of this happens, besides the Minshew injury of course lol.

Ballsy to include the Minshew injury. If it happens, the Minshew Manians may send you some death threats.
In Dougie I Trust!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-26-2020, 05:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For any of you that are buying this "Gruden's offense was bad in 2019, and Minshew struggled after the saints game, so the jags offense will suck in 2020"  nonsense:

Two QBs have had success in Gruden's system. Dalton and Cousins.

Dalton had seasons under Gruden that went 9-7, 10-6, and 11-5.
Cousins had three seasons that produced 4000+ yards and 25+ TDs under Gruden.

If you compare the rookie seasons of Dalton, Cousins and Minshew, then you'll find that Minshew performed better as a rookie with:
  • higher completion percentage
  • more touchdowns
  • fewer interceptions
  • better QBR
  • higher adjusted YPA
  • higher yards per game
I think a Gruden playbook tailored to suit Minshew will make for better offensive production than the Jags 2019 output regardless of any tape teams have on Minshew now.

I guess I'm burned out with going down this path every single offseason; optimism that our new OC will make this offense great again.  I mean, didn't we just have the OC/QB coach that made Foles great again in Philly and then coach Cousins (Vikings).  We just don't have the talent on offense for "anybody" to make this anything more than a 20th ranked or less offense.  We have no team speed on O.  Couple that with the fact that I really don't see any creativity with Gruden's past offenses (e.g. going 4 wide, etc.) so I think we're set up to see a lot of what we saw last season --- prediction 27th ranked in Points For and 30th ranked in Points Allowed.  Not sure which teams could be worse so I may be a bit optimistic with my prediction.

It should be noted Gruden had 3 pro bowl players on that 2012 team with the Bengals (Green WR, Gresham TE, and Whitworth LT).  Whitworth, who was drafted in 2006, actually made 3 more pro bowls a few years after Gruden left.

(05-27-2020, 06:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 05:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For any of you that are buying this "Gruden's offense was bad in 2019, and Minshew struggled after the saints game, so the jags offense will suck in 2020"  nonsense:

If you compare the rookie seasons of Dalton, Cousins and Minshew, then you'll find that Minshew performed better as a rookie with:
  • more touchdowns
  • fewer interceptions
  • better QBR
  • higher adjusted YPA
  • higher yards per game
I think a Gruden playbook tailored to suit Minshew will make for better offensive production than the Jags 2019 output regardless of any tape teams have on Minshew now.

I guess I'm burned out with going down this path every single offseason; optimism that our new OC will make this offense great again.  I mean, didn't we just have the OC/QB coach that made Foles great again in Philly and then coach Cousins (Vikings).  We just don't have the talent on offense for "anybody" to make this anything more than a 20th ranked or less offense.  We have no team speed on O.  Couple that with the fact that I really don't see any creativity with Gruden's past offenses (e.g. going 4 wide, etc.) so I think we're set up to see a lot of what we saw last season --- prediction 27th ranked in Points For and 30th ranked in Points Allowed.  Not sure which teams could be worse so I may be a bit optimistic with my prediction.

It should be noted Gruden had 3 pro bowl players on that 2012 team with the Bengals (Green WR, Gresham TE, and Whitworth LT).  Whitworth, who was drafted in 2006, actually made 3 more pro bowls a few years after Gruden left.

I think we have a lot of talent on offense, honestly.  The last guy we had was fired in Minnesota, remember?

(05-27-2020, 10:49 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I guess I'm burned out with going down this path every single offseason; optimism that our new OC will make this offense great again.  I mean, didn't we just have the OC/QB coach that made Foles great again in Philly and then coach Cousins (Vikings).  We just don't have the talent on offense for "anybody" to make this anything more than a 20th ranked or less offense.  We have no team speed on O.  Couple that with the fact that I really don't see any creativity with Gruden's past offenses (e.g. going 4 wide, etc.) so I think we're set up to see a lot of what we saw last season --- prediction 27th ranked in Points For and 30th ranked in Points Allowed.  Not sure which teams could be worse so I may be a bit optimistic with my prediction.

I think we have a lot of talent on offense, honestly.  The last guy we had was fired in Minnesota, remember?

He was also brought in just for Foles. There is a reason he was not retained after it was clear they were trying to trade Foles.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

• more touchdowns
  • fewer interceptions
  • better QBR
  • higher adjusted YPA
  • higher yards per game

There's certainly no guarantee that it gets better just because it's better "on paper" as we like to say. 
I'll not argue that, nor will I deny the precedent we've set for pessimism. 
We've set the table the past two years to expect struggles. 

The only rebuttal I'll give you to this post is that we do have speedy receivers by league standards. 
Westbrook, Chark and Conley are all considered "fast" and they've shown it quite a few times even if we've been largely bad at taking advantage of it most of the time. 

(Chark 4.34 forty time - Conley - 4.35 -  Westbrook - 4.34) 

Beyond that - the reasons why I'm optimistic include:
  1. Minshew is in year 2 after what is considered a very promising rookie year
  2. It's Minshew's offense, designed for him, and he'll have a full offseason to fine tune it to HIS skillset, not someone else's like his rookie year. 
  3. One thing Gruden did more consistently than OC's we've seen here in recent years is force mismatches on opponents by moving guys around.  He did it with Desean Jackson and Jordan Reed to great success at times. Moving them around in formations until he found Jackson vs a DB that couldn't keep up and Reed vs a LB. 
  4. Gruden has guys on this roster in Chark, Conley, Oliver, Eifert and maybe Shenault that can be similar types of chess pieces to create mismatches with size and/or speed. 
  5. Gruden has steered a more creative tack with his running backs usage than every other OC we've had under Marrone thus far. Hackett started to do some good things w/ Grant and Fournette but went away from it. Flip got #27 involved in the pass game but ultimately ran him up the gut on early downs too often with no attempt to disguise intention. Gruden has shown usage of his TE's as H-Backs lead blocking and receiving out of the backfield, he's shown willingness to put two RBs on the field simultaneously - sometimes with one of them lined up in the slot  - sometimes both in the backfield. He should shake up the run game monotony. 
Reasons I'm less optimistic:
  1. The O-line hasn't been addressed to my satisfaction and Minshew did not have enough time in the pocket consistently last year.  Hopefully a fourth round D3 rookie supplants Cann and Cam takes a step removed from injury. Meh. Not too hopeful. 
  2. Every OC under Marrone seems to bend to his "we're gonna run it down your throat and we dare you to stop it" philosophy.  I'm completely over that [BLEEP].  Gruden had better have the freedom to implement his own run game philosophy. 
  3. Minshew's development in the pocket and ability to see lanes. He is limited by his stature when throwing from between the tackles and Gruden will need to address this with play design and drills to aide his sightlines to receivers.  He does have a tendency to want to rollout a beat too prematurely at times instead of getting through his progression quickly and getting the ball out from the pocket on time. Protection would help this, but some of it falls on #15. 

• more touchdowns
  • fewer interceptions
  • better QBR
  • higher adjusted YPA
  • higher yards per game

I will completely agree with you that Caldwell and the FO biggest weaknesses are consistently bringing in/evaluating offensive positions such as TE and OL. I would also agree with you that I'm beginning to question our medical team evaluations of prospects and FA as well for similar reasons. On top of that, in spite of Marrone as HC and supposedly some historically great OL coaches, the offensive line has been subpar.

However, changing things up doesn't require completely scrapping everyone on one side of the ball, or in one position group and starting over (unless you just can't pay them all because you have $30+ million in dead money). Few franchises do that successfully, and it often results in a very short window, because you end up with mass exodus when they want to get paid at the same time or aquick drop off because they all age out at the same time.

It takes tactical moves. Realizing this guy works if adjusting this but replacing that guy. Adjusting the scheme/coaching to fit that guy's strengths better and hide this guys weaknesses. Also, I point out again how young the offensive starters as group are, many of them have yet to reach their peak.

• more touchdowns
  • fewer interceptions
  • better QBR
  • higher adjusted YPA
  • higher yards per game

No team speed? Westbrook, Conley, and Chark are no slouches, Oliver is probably faster than the average tight end, and Fournette (when he's not getting ankle tackled) has sprinter straight line speed.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Gardner will be meeting with the media today and it will be streamed live. I look forward to seeing him talk and him hopefully giving us more insight into some of what the offense plans to do this year:

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1265998760242556928

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2020, 02:01 PM by mal234.)

Gardner said during his meeting today with the media he plans on getting together with some of his teammates and getting some workouts/reps in with them.He intends to do this before training camp.

He also talked a little about the virtual meetings they have been having:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jaguars/statu...8771075074

(05-27-2020, 11:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I guess I'm burned out with going down this path every single offseason; optimism that our new OC will make this offense great again.  I mean, didn't we just have the OC/QB coach that made Foles great again in Philly and then coach Cousins (Vikings).  We just don't have the talent on offense for "anybody" to make this anything more than a 20th ranked or less offense.  We have no team speed on O.  Couple that with the fact that I really don't see any creativity with Gruden's past offenses (e.g. going 4 wide, etc.) so I think we're set up to see a lot of what we saw last season --- prediction 27th ranked in Points For and 30th ranked in Points Allowed.  Not sure which teams could be worse so I may be a bit optimistic with my prediction.

There's certainly no guarantee that it gets better just because it's better "on paper" as we like to say. 
I'll not argue that, nor will I deny the precedent we've set for pessimism. 
We've set the table the past two years to expect struggles. 

The only rebuttal I'll give you to this post is that we do have speedy receivers by league standards. 
Westbrook, Chark and Conley are all considered "fast" and they've shown it quite a few times even if we've been largely bad at taking advantage of it most of the time. 

(Chark 4.34 forty time - Conley - 4.35 -  Westbrook - 4.34) 

Beyond that - the reasons why I'm optimistic include:
  1. Minshew is in year 2 after what is considered a very promising rookie year
  2. It's Minshew's offense, designed for him, and he'll have a full offseason to fine tune it to HIS skillset, not someone else's like his rookie year. 
  3. One thing Gruden did more consistently than OC's we've seen here in recent years is force mismatches on opponents by moving guys around.  He did it with Desean Jackson and Jordan Reed to great success at times. Moving them around in formations until he found Jackson vs a DB that couldn't keep up and Reed vs a LB. 
  4. Gruden has guys on this roster in Chark, Conley, Oliver, Eifert and maybe Shenault that can be similar types of chess pieces to create mismatches with size and/or speed. 
  5. Gruden has steered a more creative tack with his running backs usage than every other OC we've had under Marrone thus far. Hackett started to do some good things w/ Grant and Fournette but went away from it. Flip got #27 involved in the pass game but ultimately ran him up the gut on early downs too often with no attempt to disguise intention. Gruden has shown usage of his TE's as H-Backs lead blocking and receiving out of the backfield, he's shown willingness to put two RBs on the field simultaneously - sometimes with one of them lined up in the slot  - sometimes both in the backfield. He should shake up the run game monotony. 
Reasons I'm less optimistic:
  1. The O-line hasn't been addressed to my satisfaction and Minshew did not have enough time in the pocket consistently last year.  Hopefully a fourth round D3 rookie supplants Cann and Cam takes a step removed from injury. Meh. Not too hopeful. 
  2. Every OC under Marrone seems to bend to his "we're gonna run it down your throat and we dare you to stop it" philosophy.  I'm completely over that [BLEEP].  Gruden had better have the freedom to implement his own run game philosophy. 
  3. Minshew's development in the pocket and ability to see lanes. He is limited by his stature when throwing from between the tackles and Gruden will need to address this with play design and drills to aide his sightlines to receivers.  He does have a tendency to want to rollout a beat too prematurely at times instead of getting through his progression quickly and getting the ball out from the pocket on time. Protection would help this, but some of it falls on #15. 
I like your list, especially the optimistic views. My belief is that Gruden will make a very big difference in the offense's production. Minshew should take a big step forward with regard to taking care of the ball. My expectations for him are very high this season as long as he remains healthy. The additions of Eifert, Shennault and Chris Thompson should pay immediate dividends. Whether this will be reflected in the record remains to be seen. The easiest part of the schedule is clearly the first 6 games. There is little reason they can't beat the Dolphins, Lions and Bengals and the opener against Indy is winnable as long as the team has enough practice time prior to week 1. If the virus wreaks havoc on the pre-season, the Jags will be hurt more than most teams due to a new offensive scheme and many new starters. 

All that being said, I believe the Jaguars will finish the season with 4-6 wins, but the arrow will be pointing upwards. One more good draft in 2021-22 will enable the Jags to compete for the AFC South crown.

(05-27-2020, 05:21 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 07:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I had a dream last night that it was opening day and I forgot to turn the game on. I turned the TV on mid-2nd quarter, expecting us to be losing per usual. We were beating some team 10-3, Minshew was injured, and the commentators wouldn’t quit talking about how impressed they were with Gruden’s offense. I hope all of this happens, besides the Minshew injury of course lol.

Ballsy to include the Minshew injury. If it happens, the Minshew Manians may send you some death threats.

Then Josh "Rocket Man" Dobbs will take us to new heights. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in preseason (if there is one)
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

It’s the Jags so keep all expectations low.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 10:06 AM by mal234.)

Doug Marrone talked to the local media the other day about some of the things he has been doing with the players. And also about some of their upcoming plans for the new season.

Doug has encouraged players to perform individual drills outside in areas where parks or fields might have opened up. He has sent "drill tapes" to the players that have concentration on drills that are relevant to Gruden's quick hitting offense and also to a 3-4 defense. The coaching staff will be allowed back into the facility next week, but the virtual classes will continue for players for a couple of more weeks.

He says that the staff has been testing players to see what their retention has been regarding the knowledge they are learning in the classes. He says the retention of the players has been outstanding. He also mentioned how well Gardner is able to learn and retain information. He says Gardner is like having another coach and is helping the other players.

Doug also mentioned how things will be done differently in the facility after the players are able to come back, to help protect their health. He says there will be new procotols regarding how they eat and how things are going to be done in the lockeroom, etc...

I hope that the players are able to go outside and practice some of those drills he sent to them. And I hope that some of them can meet up with each other. Gardner did talk about getting together with some of them and get some field work done before training camp begins. I also hope we see some video of that too, lol.

It does seem like one of Doug's and probably the coaching staff's biggest concerns is worrying that the players especially the young ones won't get enough time to practice and learn new things on the field. I've seen other coaches in the NFL including Mike Tomlin express concern about that. Hopefully, they will get some much needed practice on the field in and that will help them, in addition to what they have learned in the virtual classes.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2020...real-world

(05-28-2020, 08:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s the Jags so keep all expectations low.

You're probably right, so...15-1 it is.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-27-2020, 11:24 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:

I will completely agree with you that Caldwell and the FO biggest weaknesses are consistently bringing in/evaluating offensive positions such as TE and OL. I would also agree with you that I'm beginning to question our medical team evaluations of prospects and FA as well for similar reasons. On top of that, in spite of Marrone as HC and supposedly some historically great OL coaches, the offensive line has been subpar.

However, changing things up doesn't require completely scrapping everyone on one side of the ball, or in one position group and starting over (unless you just can't pay them all because you have $30+ million in dead money). Few franchises do that successfully, and it often results in a very short window, because  you end up with mass exodus when they want to get paid at the same time or aquick drop off because they all age out at the same time.

It takes tactical moves. Realizing this guy works if adjusting this but replacing that guy. Adjusting the scheme/coaching to fit that guy's strengths better and hide this guys weaknesses. Also, I point out again how young the offensive starters as group are, many of them have yet to reach their peak.

Maybe Balke was brought in to help with evaluating line talent. Wasn't that his specialty? If so, then Bartsch and Chaisson met his approval, so they'll be good. 

If Caldwell gets fired, it's Pandora's Box. We could get another Gene Smith or Shack Harris, with their own deficiencies. I think there's room for a GM to evolve and learn from their mistakes. Do you think Caldwell has learned anything about evaluating QBs after Bortles, Foles, and Minshew? Hopefully Minshew is the guy and he never has to take a QB high again. 

Has he learned anything about TEs after two expensive free-agent TE non-fixes? On the latter, Eifert is at least a less expensive fix.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(06-01-2020, 03:48 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 11:24 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: I will completely agree with you that Caldwell and the FO biggest weaknesses are consistently bringing in/evaluating offensive positions such as TE and OL. I would also agree with you that I'm beginning to question our medical team evaluations of prospects and FA as well for similar reasons. On top of that, in spite of Marrone as HC and supposedly some historically great OL coaches, the offensive line has been subpar.

However, changing things up doesn't require completely scrapping everyone on one side of the ball, or in one position group and starting over (unless you just can't pay them all because you have $30+ million in dead money). Few franchises do that successfully, and it often results in a very short window, because  you end up with mass exodus when they want to get paid at the same time or aquick drop off because they all age out at the same time.

Maybe Balke was brought in to help with evaluating line talent. Wasn't that his specialty? If so, then Bartsch and Chaisson met his approval, so they'll be good. Balke said then they'll be good? hahah ok

If Caldwell gets fired, it's Pandora's Box. We could get another Gene Smith or Shack Harris, with their own deficiencies. I think there's room for a GM to evolve and learn from their mistakes. Do you think Caldwell has learned anything about evaluating QBs after Bortles, Foles, and Minshew? Hopefully Minshew is the guy and he never has to take a QB high again. 

Has he learned anything about TEs after two expensive free-agent TE non-fixes? On the latter, Eifert is at least a less expensive fix.

And he is better than that? hahaha what is his record again? with and without Coughlin?
Minshew is a Coughlin's guy, you wanna give it to DC? then Fournette is DC's fault too, and he passed on Mahomes and Watson.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-01-2020, 04:31 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 03:48 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Maybe Balke was brought in to help with evaluating line talent. Wasn't that his specialty? If so, then Bartsch and Chaisson met his approval, so they'll be good. Balke said then they'll be good? hahah ok

And he is better than that? hahaha what is his record again? with and without Coughlin?
Minshew is a Coughlin's guy, you wanna give it to DC? then Fournette is DC's fault too, and he passed on Mahomes and Watson.

Couple things.  1) Yes, Caldwell is better than both Shack and Gene.  If you don't think that's obvious, I don't know what you're looking at.  A team's record is not necessarily an indicator of the effectiveness of the GM, given how many moving pieces there are to a team.

2) We don't really know the dynamics of who picked who or whatever, but we do know Foles was Coughlin's guy and he forced the issue to start him when he was "healthy."  So I'm not certain that we can really say Minshew was his guy.

(06-02-2020, 08:40 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 04:31 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And he is better than that? hahaha what is his record again? with and without Coughlin?

Couple things.  1) Yes, Caldwell is better than both Shack and Gene.  If you don't think that's obvious, I don't know what you're looking at.  A team's record is not necessarily an indicator of the effectiveness of the GM, given how many moving pieces there are to a team.

2) We don't really know the dynamics of who picked who or whatever, but we do know Foles was Coughlin's guy and he forced the issue to start him when he was "healthy."  So I'm not certain that we can really say Minshew was his guy.

He is not better than Shack.

"A team's record is not necessarily an indicator of the effectiveness of the GM" hahaha sure, because you say so. I guess his first HC (Bradley) and his QB (Bortles) are not indicators either.

Caldwell is garbage, period. 

Minshew was his guy as in he drafted him but if you wanna say it was DC then he also drafted Fournette and passed on Mahomes and Watson.

"We don't really know the dynamics of who picked who or whatever" Yes we do thanks to people like you 

Every bad pick = Coughlin
Every good pick = Caldwell lol

Enjoy another losing season.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-02-2020, 10:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 08:40 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Couple things.  1) Yes, Caldwell is better than both Shack and Gene.  If you don't think that's obvious, I don't know what you're looking at.  A team's record is not necessarily an indicator of the effectiveness of the GM, given how many moving pieces there are to a team.

He is not better than Shack.

"A team's record is not necessarily an indicator of the effectiveness of the GM" hahaha sure, because you say so. I guess his first HC (Bradley) and his QB (Bortles) are not indicators either.

Minshew was his guy as in he drafted him but if you wanna say it was DC then he also drafted Fournette and passed on Mahomes and Watson.

"We don't really know the dynamics of who picked who or whatever" Yes we do thanks to people like you 

How are you even a fan of this team? I have never seen you say one positive thing about the Jags. Ever.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(06-02-2020, 10:11 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 10:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: He is not better than Shack.

How are you even a fan of this team? I have never seen you say one positive thing about the Jags. Ever.

Why do you care? 

You are right though since there has been a lot to be positive about in the last decade.