Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL owners approve three rule changes for 2020

NFL owners approve three rule changes for 2020, but onside kick alternative not among them

The NFL has approved three new rule changes for the 2020 season, though the proposed change to the onside kick rule was not approved. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-o...mong-them/
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-28-2020, 06:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: NFL owners approve three rule changes for 2020, but onside kick alternative not among them

The NFL has approved three new rule changes for the 2020 season, though the proposed change to the onside kick rule was not approved. 

Disappointing.
The onside kick proposal was really going to restore excitement to the game.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-29-2020, 08:48 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 06:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: NFL owners approve three rule changes for 2020, but onside kick alternative not among them

Disappointing.

Absurd, the offense doesn't need any more help from the rules. They should bring back the run up on kick offs as well, that change was stupid.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-30-2020, 12:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 08:48 AM)mikesez Wrote: Disappointing.

Absurd, the offense doesn't need any more help from the rules. They should bring back the run up on kick offs as well, that change was stupid.

I actually agree that they've done too much to help offenses lately, I just think this was more about keeping the end of more games exciting.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2020, 12:36 AM by surfon.)

Yea i could have seen more like a 4th and 20 or 25 to keep the odds even close to an onside kick recovery 4th and 15 wss just dumb.

(05-31-2020, 12:35 AM)surfon Wrote: Yea i could have seen more like a 4th and 20 or 25 to keep the odds even close to an onside kick recovery 4th and 15 wss just dumb.

The whole reason this is being discussed is because on side kick recovery is much less than it used to be, now that you can't run up.
They are trying to find a play that is as easy to convert as the on-side kick used to be, not how the on-side kick is now.

(05-31-2020, 06:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 12:35 AM)surfon Wrote: Yea i could have seen more like a 4th and 20 or 25 to keep the odds even close to an onside kick recovery 4th and 15 wss just dumb.

The whole reason this is being discussed is because on side kick recovery is much less than it used to be, now that you can't run up.
They are trying to find a play that is as easy to convert as the on-side kick used to be, not how the on-side kick is now.

There is one, just bring it back. Problem solved.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-01-2020, 07:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 06:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: The whole reason this is being discussed is because on side kick recovery is much less than it used to be, now that you can't run up.

There is one, just bring it back. Problem solved.

When Dave Thomas has his leg broken during an onside kick attempt, before the pile was cleared, before we knew who was at the bottom, Jaguars radio network listeners heard Brian Sexton say that was not a normal collision, that it sounded like bones breaking. Thomas's femur was broken.  70, 80 years ago, that would have been a life threatening injury.  It still is life threatening in some countries.
I'll still watch football either way, but I'd prefer it not give us moments like that.

(06-01-2020, 12:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 07:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There is one, just bring it back. Problem solved.

When Dave Thomas has his leg broken during an onside kick attempt, before the pile was cleared, before we knew who was at the bottom, Jaguars radio network listeners heard Brian Sexton say that was not a normal collision, that it sounded like bones breaking. Thomas's femur was broken.  70, 80 years ago, that would have been a life threatening injury.  It still is life threatening in some countries.
I'll still watch football either way, but I'd prefer it not give us moments like that.

So were Theisman's and McCallum's, so take out tackling QBs and RBs I guess. As Vic would say, "it's a tough game for tough men.'

(06-03-2020, 06:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 12:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: When Dave Thomas has his leg broken during an onside kick attempt, before the pile was cleared, before we knew who was at the bottom, Jaguars radio network listeners heard Brian Sexton say that was not a normal collision, that it sounded like bones breaking. Thomas's femur was broken.  70, 80 years ago, that would have been a life threatening injury.  It still is life threatening in some countries.

So were Theisman's and McCallum's, so take out tackling QBs and RBs I guess. As Vic would say, "it's a tough game for tough men.'

Agreed. I say bring back the old style of onside kicks.
Onside kick attempts don't cause those gruesome injuries that often.
And if we're trying to figure out a way to play football without injuries, well... just switch to flag football I guess.

Alex Smith got his leg shattered just by playing QB. It's rare, but serious injuries occur in this game. It's part of it.
And also part of why these guys get paid millions.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2020, 09:22 PM by surfon.)

Starting in 2018, the kicking team was no longer able to get a running start and in the two years since, only a dozen attempts have been recovered in 115 tries – just 10.4 percent. In that same time span, five of 14 (36 percent) fourth-and-15 attempts were converted.May 25, 2020

Quoted from an nfl.com article.

So prior to that it was supposedly 21% for onside kick recoveries. Not quite equal hence the it should be at least 4th and 20.

It seems odd to me that was only 14 attempts at 4th and 15 so that stat might be only using that exact down and distance. And hence could be a little misleading. I grant that.