Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Caldwell really that bad?

(06-03-2020, 09:54 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And, while I wouldn't call it horrible, he was average at best in this draft.

We are supposed to have a guy with the potential to be our QB of the future and yet he did pretty much nothing to help him. O-line help? a guy in the 4th round who played for a division III (?) team. A WR who has had injury problems, great!
He also admitted he would have taken Chaisson at #9 if the Cards drafted Henderson.
He was unable (or worse refused) to trade up to get better talent and we ended up with 12 picks LOL

It's not fair to judge our current draft yet. We don't know how the current players are going to respond and produce this year let alone how the players drafted will respond and produce. The coaching staff seems confident in who they have, so they may have steered him towards bigger needs. 

As for the Bortles pick, that i believe set the team back even further, yes. Thats completely on Caldwell. He took a swing and missed. But do we know if it was Caldwell who had the bright idea to extend Bortles? How about the bright idea to spend such a high pick on Fournette? So i don't think you can completely put the blame on Caldwell for this teams failures over the last few years. The draft of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue really set this team up to have a defensive powerhouse when you see the other players that were added through free agency and the handful we already had. Did Caldwell have a part in that? Or does Coughlin get all the credit? Its really hard to say Caldwell has been so horrible when we know for a fact someone was brought in to over see everything and ended up being a detriment to the team. But what we don't know for sure is how exactly it affected the drafting, retaining people and bringing in new. 

I'm not for or against Caldwell. I'm just bored and there isn't alot to talk about right now. So debating this topic gives me something to do. 
In Dougie I Trust!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

• Pretty good drafter but missed on a couple 1st rounders
  • Solid in FA but spent lots of money at times with only one season of big impact
  • Never hit on a head coach unless something shocking occurs w/ current staff 
If it were just this simple ^ it would be one thing. But it's not that simple since we now know that the Bradley hire and extension was not all Caldwell but influenced by the Khans.  Dave should have urged them more strongly to move on quicker though. I wonder how set against that extension he was?  Would help lock in how I feel that coach selection aspect of evaluating his performance. 

Then you throw Coughlin into the mix and it gets even tougher to nail down exactly what Dave should catch blame for. 

The Khan(s) and Coughlin factors make it tricky to evaluate the guy with full clarity, but the results have not been good enough. 
Hoping he an Marrone are smarter than I think they are re: 2020/21.

(06-03-2020, 11:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
  • Solid in FA but spent lots of money at times with only one season of big impact
If it were just this simple ^ it would be one thing. But it's not that simple since we now know that the Bradley hire and extension was not all Caldwell but influenced by the Khans.  Dave should have urged them more strongly to move on quicker though. I wonder how set against that extension he was?  Would help lock in how I feel that coach selection aspect of evaluating his performance. 

Then you throw Coughlin into the mix and it gets even tougher to nail down exactly what Dave should catch blame for. 

The Khan(s) and Coughlin factors make it tricky to evaluate the guy with full clarity, but the results have not been good enough. 

Marrone will be the fall guy when the team finishes below 8 wins. Caldwell will get an extension to allow him to pick a new coach, based on two or three draft picks -- Shenault, Chaisson, Henderson, Hamilton, etc. -- having strong rookie years. 

Marrone was never his guy.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(06-03-2020, 12:08 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 11:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Marrone will be the fall guy when the team finishes below 8 wins. Caldwell will get an extension to allow him to pick a new coach, based on two or three draft picks -- Shenault, Chaisson, Henderson, Hamilton, etc. -- having strong rookie years. 

Marrone was never his guy.

See what I mean? There's  ^ that Coughlin factor coming into play again. 
Hard to nail down the full story on Caldwell. 
It seems like both he and Marrone were on the hotseat and needed each other to sell this package deal to Khan to stick around this year, and yes,  Marrone definitely seemed to be a TC hire in early '17.

We'll find out how good or bad Caldwell is this year. Up to this point, he's been fairly mediocre. I don't get the sense he's going to be the guy who turns things around and builds a consistent winner. He's setting it up for the next guy to look good with the extra draft capital.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(06-03-2020, 11:26 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 09:54 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: And, while I wouldn't call it horrible, he was average at best in this draft.

We are supposed to have a guy with the potential to be our QB of the future and yet he did pretty much nothing to help him. O-line help? a guy in the 4th round who played for a division III (?) team. A WR who has had injury problems, great!
He also admitted he would have taken Chaisson at #9 if the Cards drafted Henderson.
He was unable (or worse refused) to trade up to get better talent and we ended up with 12 picks LOL

It's not fair to judge our current draft yet. We don't know how the current players are going to respond and produce this year let alone how the players drafted will respond and produce. The coaching staff seems confident in who they have, so they may have steered him towards bigger needs. 

As for the Bortles pick, that i believe set the team back even further, yes. Thats completely on Caldwell. He took a swing and missed. But do we know if it was Caldwell who had the bright idea to extend Bortles? How about the bright idea to spend such a high pick on Fournette? So i don't think you can completely put the blame on Caldwell for this teams failures over the last few years. The draft of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue really set this team up to have a defensive powerhouse when you see the other players that were added through free agency and the handful we already had. Did Caldwell have a part in that? Or does Coughlin get all the credit? Its really hard to say Caldwell has been so horrible when we know for a fact someone was brought in to over see everything and ended up being a detriment to the team. But what we don't know for sure is how exactly it affected the drafting, retaining people and bringing in new. 

I'm not for or against Caldwell. I'm just bored and there isn't alot to talk about right now. So debating this topic gives me something to do. 

It is fair when he did nothing to help his QB, failed to trade up to get better talent and admitted he would have reached for a guy with the 9th pick.

"The draft of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue really set this team up to have a defensive powerhouse" Any idiot would have taken Ramsey at 5 if available. Jack? the guy who was mediocre at best last year? he's never been great, just above average. Ngakoue? the guy who can't stop the run and just gave you 8 sacks more than half of them vs crappy teams or backups? lol ok.

Love how "we can't really blame Caldwell for anything"  Laughing those people really have the team they deserve.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-03-2020, 12:46 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 11:26 AM)Hurricane Wrote: It's not fair to judge our current draft yet. We don't know how the current players are going to respond and produce this year let alone how the players drafted will respond and produce. The coaching staff seems confident in who they have, so they may have steered him towards bigger needs. 

It is fair when he did nothing to help his QB, failed to trade up to get better talent and admitted he would have reached for a guy with the 9th pick.

"The draft of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue really set this team up to have a defensive powerhouse" Any idiot would have taken Ramsey at 5 if available. Jack? the guy who was mediocre at best last year? he's never been great, just above average. Ngakoue? the guy who can't stop the run and just gave you 8 sacks more than half of them vs crappy teams or backups? lol ok.

Love how "we can't really blame Caldwell for anything"  Laughing those people really have the team they deserve.

I think the Myles Jack pick was a very good pick, but due to some weird circumstances, he's been playing out of position his entire career.  Like when we had Poz at MLB and Telvin at WLB, Jack had to play SLB.  Then Poz retires, and Telvin is still WLB, so Jack goes to MLB.  Then Telvin abruptly quits, and we don't have enough time to get the LBers straightened out, so Jack is left at MLB.  His natural position is WLB.

Solid drafter, poor at retaining or keeping our top tier talent happy enough to re-sign. His coaching hires are also questionable, yet I kinda like Marrone. TBF he's probably JDR level HC though. He can give you a solid season with a cupcake schedule, but otherwise you are looking at 6-8 wins. I reallllly feel good about Minshew though, and if he turns into a top 12 QB, Dave should get a ton of credit for finding a QB of said caliber in the 6th. Time will tell.

Honestly I feel like this is the greatest question that Khan has prevented himself from having a clear answer to. I lean more towards being a Caldwell supporter, but the results aren’t there given the capital provided.

To me the problem is he was handed a poop roster, told to tear it down and rebuild, then right at the crux of what he’d built, a “superior” was brought in who may or may not have undercut or reversed his vision. Then said superior is let go, and he has to again try to build from zero with his vision.

It’s just tough to get a proper read with the timing of the moves made in our front office football operations. Fournette was pretty clearly a Coughlin pick, and rumor has it Dave wanted Mahomes, but Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes under Marrone the same as he is under Reid. And that’s still just rumor. Calais was also pretty clearly Coughlin, and there’s no faulting that move.

I think Dave’s biggest weakness has been the coaching he puts in charge of his roster. But then supposedly Gus was Khan’s guy, not Dave’s. Marrone was Coughlin’s, not Dave’s. So who the hell knows.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM by The Real Marty.)

If the Bortles pick had succeeded, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  If that pick had worked, so many things that happened later would not have happened.  And so many things that didn't happen would have happened.  

If that pick had worked, it would have meant 2 or 3 more wins every season.  The players would have been happy, the fans would have been happy, we would have made the playoffs more often, and the whole team would have looked better and performed better.  

It's really really simple.   He missed that one pick, and that changed everything.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 11:15 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(06-04-2020, 05:05 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: Honestly I feel like this is the greatest question that Khan has prevented himself from having a clear answer to.  I lean more towards being a Caldwell supporter, but the results aren’t there given the capital provided.  

To me the problem is he was handed a poop roster, told to tear it down and rebuild, then right at the crux of what he’d built, a “superior” was brought in who may or may not have undercut or reversed his vision.  Then said superior is let go, and he has to again try to build from zero with his vision.  

It’s just tough to get a proper read with the timing of the moves made in our front office football operations.  Fournette was pretty clearly a Coughlin pick, and rumor has it Dave wanted Mahomes, but Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes under Marrone the same as he is under Reid.  And that’s still just rumor.  Calais was also pretty clearly Coughlin, and there’s no faulting that move.  

I think Dave’s biggest weakness has been the coaching he puts in charge of his roster.  But then supposedly Gus was Khan’s guy, not Dave’s.  Marrone was Coughlin’s, not Dave’s.  So who the hell knows.

Laughing

Yeah, Caldwell has never made a mistake as a GM. He was told to hire Bradley, he was told to tear down the roster remaining from Gene, he was told to draft Fournette. He probably was told (got bad advice) to draft Bortles too.

I thought Caldwell was a grown man and a GM for a NFL team, not some lil kid that can't make his own choices.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-04-2020, 09:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 05:05 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: Honestly I feel like this is the greatest question that Khan has prevented himself from having a clear answer to.  I lean more towards being a Caldwell supporter, but the results aren’t there given the capital provided.  

To me the problem is he was handed a poop roster, told to tear it down and rebuild, then right at the crux of what he’d built, a “superior” was brought in who may or may not have undercut or reversed his vision.  Then said superior is let go, and he has to again try to build from zero with his vision.  

It’s just tough to get a proper read with the timing of the moves made in our front office football operations.  Fournette was pretty clearly a Coughlin pick, and rumor has it Dave wanted Mahomes, but Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes under Marrone the same as he is under Reid.  And that’s still just rumor.  Calais was also pretty clearly Coughlin, and there’s no faulting that move.  

I think Dave’s biggest weakness has been the coaching he puts in charge of his roster.  But then supposedly Gus was Khan’s guy, not Dave’s.  Marrone was Coughlin’s, not Dave’s.  So who the hell knows.

Laughing

Yeah, Caldwell has never make a mistake as a GM. He was told to hire Bradley, he was told to tear down the roster remaining from Gene, he was told to draft Fournette. He probably was told (got bad advice) to draft Bortles too.

I thought Caldwell was a grown man and a GM for a NFL team, not some lil kid that can't make his own choices.

He admitted he tore the roster down to far when he took over. Nice try.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(06-04-2020, 10:50 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Laughing

Yeah, Caldwell has never make a mistake as a GM. He was told to hire Bradley, he was told to tear down the roster remaining from Gene, he was told to draft Fournette. He probably was told (got bad advice) to draft Bortles too.

He admitted he tore the roster down to far when he took over. Nice try.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I think Caldwell is fine, but we might find better if we make a change. If the team doesn’t perform well this tear he should be released with Marrone. It will be well past time for a clean sweep. If the team does well, we should be open to keeping them. It is boring stance, but it makes sense based on where we are.

He’s drafted Ramsey Linder Robinson Telvin Jack Shenault Minshew etc

He’s brought in guys like Campbell Bouye Church Gipson Eifert Jackson etc

I think he’s good

(06-04-2020, 09:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

Laughing

Yeah, Caldwell has never made a mistake as a GM. He was told to hire Bradley, he was told to tear down the roster remaining from Gene, he was told to draft Fournette. He probably was told (got bad advice) to draft Bortles too.

You do realize that when an Owner says to do something, GM or not, You have to listen to him. Example: Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes way too many calls that has hurt that franchise.

Then when the owner brings in someone to make the final calls OVER the GM, once again, you have to listen to him. You try going rouge and doing whatever you want and you end up like Coughlin without a job... oh wait, thats exactly why Coughlin is without a job.
In Dougie I Trust!

This gets an upvote from me. It’s probably closer to the truth than other theories/opinions. 

Just leave the man alone and let him do his job.

In the modern NFL GM's will always be tied to the QB they draft. Shack Harris drafted Leftwich and it was only by the grace of David Garrard's 2007 season that he lasted beyond Leftwich getting cut. Gene Smith drafted Blaine Gabbert and got fired (though that was hardly the only reason). Caldwell drafted Blake Bortles, and as a result the team hasn't done well. But he's also drafted the first Jaguars players (outside of FA) to go to a Pro Bowl since MJD was drafted in 2006, and he's drafted the first rookie Pro Bowler we've ever had.

At the moment I think his hits are balanced with his misses, but I also believe if the Bortles pick had been a hit, we'd all be singing Caldwell's praises right now.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020, 10:26 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(06-05-2020, 07:15 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Laughing

You do realize that when an Owner says to do something, GM or not, You have to listen to him. Example: Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes way too many calls that has hurt that franchise.

Then when the owner brings in someone to make the final calls OVER the GM, once again, you have to listen to him. You try going rouge and doing whatever you want and you end up like Coughlin without a job... oh wait, thats exactly why Coughlin is without a job.

You do realize owners CAN'T really force GMs to do what they want right? you do realize some people have self respect and either they dont take the job or they can resign, right?

So according to you Khan is pretty much like Jerry (with much less knowlegde about football)? bring the proof that Caldwell was against hiring Bradley (one thing is he liked someone better and another, much different thing, is that he was against hiring him). Bring the proof that he was told to tear down the roster Gene Smith left (which is completely BS and this guy just made up). Come on bring the proof, I'll wait.

Either way, if he was "forced" (lol) or those were his choices, it is pretty clear Caldwell is not the right person.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM by Hurricane.)

(06-05-2020, 10:24 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 07:15 AM)Hurricane Wrote: You do realize that when an Owner says to do something, GM or not, You have to listen to him. Example: Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes way too many calls that has hurt that franchise.

You do realize owners CAN'T really force GMs to do what they want right? you do realize some people have self respect and either they dont take the job or they can resign, right?

So according to you Khan is pretty much like Jerry (with much less knowlegde about football)? bring the proof that Caldwell was against hiring Bradley (one thing is he liked someone better and another, much different thing, is that he was against hiring him). Bring the proof that he was told to tear down the roster Gene Smith left (which is completely BS and this guy just made up). Come on bring the proof, I'll wait.

Either way, if he was "forced" (lol) or those were his choices, it is pretty clear Caldwell is not the right person.

That's the whole issue the rest of us are talking about. WE DON'T KNOW. We don't know what power he had, who said for him to do this or that. We don't know what influence Khan had on any of the choices, we don't know what influence Coughlin had on any of the choices. It's all speculation. That's what makes this whole thing into a debate/discussion. You can claim anything you want about the guy, but unless you were in there to see and hear what was said and how things are done, you have no clue. Without the facts there will always be a couple different sides of opinions. 

He very well could be the route cause to all the issues we have seen the Jags experience since his time here or maybe he was directed to follow others opinions. I lean more towards the second part of that. If that wasn't the case, then why did Khan bring in Coughlin in the first place? Why didn't Kahn fire Caldwell and bring in a new GM at that time? I don't think its far fetched to assume either Kahn didn't like the choices Caldwell was making or possibly with him being a fairly new owner and not knowing much about football, he brought him in to make sure Caldwell was making the correct choices. 

If the later is correct and Coughlin did like we KNOW he did and did whatever the f he wanted (ex:fines) who's to say he didn't do the same with the team choices being made? If Kahn doesn't have that much faith in Caldwell, chances are hes siding with Coughlin.

And yes, everyone has the choice to their job, but that doesn't mean Caldwell doesn't like what he does. There's only 31 other positions and the chances of getting in one of them with a background history like the Jags have had, isn't going to be super high.
In Dougie I Trust!