Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Caldwell really that bad?

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 10:22 PM by D-Money.)

(06-11-2020, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 03:15 PM)D-Money Wrote: This is the issue. All we are basing this on is that Caldwell was here for a certain number or years, for those years the team was bad. One year 2017, when Coughlin gets here,  a former Super Bowl winning coach and was the coach when we were good. The one year we turn it around and are good. Coughlin is gone again and we suck again. 

No one is saying that it is guaranteed that Coughlin made us good for 2017. We are saying that no matter what different circumstances that have happened that year and allowed us to be good, it def wasn't just Caldwell that did it. 

Just really understand, Caldwell is a GM, he has picked some good players and some have fallen into his lap but overall with not being able to retain that talent and missing on different picks at key positions at the same time keeping coaches who are no good, plus our overall losing record under him, He is a bad GM, he may be an ok scout or college talent evaluator. 

Stop making things more complicated by coming up with things we don't know for sure about and what may have happened behind closed doors.
JUST LOOk AT THE RESULTS and THE CURRENT STATE OF THE FRANCHISE SINCE HE HAS BECOME GM

Per the bold: We sucked the very next year and Coughlin was still here. For 2 more seasons essentially.
Had Coughlin never showed up perhaps we end up with CMC instead of Fournette.
Perhaps we move on from Bortles instead of extending him.
Perhaps we pay Ramsey and Yan early and the defense remains elite for years.
Without Coughlin, we're probably still good in 2017 honestly.

You can capitalize words all you want. It doesn't change what I was arguing. 2017 wasn't good because of Coughlin. It was a roster mostly built by the GM Caldwell, with an easy schedule, a terrible AFCS, and a little bit of luck.
The roster was mostly made before Coughlin. It's in its current state mostly because of Coughlin. There's no two ways around it. It's only complicated for simple people who feel the need to bang the keyboard angrily that they aren't right.

Like I said, Caldwell hasn't been great. And we should have moved on multiple times now.
But trying to credit Coughlin with 2017 is asinine to say the least.
But one could look at the current roster and cap situation and certainly give a lot of that credit to Coughlin.

I'm convinced you are paying attention to only what you want to see. If you look at my following statement, I said clearly no one is saying that Coughlin is the reason we were good in 2017.  I'm saying Caldwell shouldn't get credit for the 2017 year alone because he has had 7 years and has not duplicated the success of the one season.  And you keep saying perhaps or maybe....
why do you keep trying to add things we will never really know for sure or understand. 

Look at the facts and what we can see. 7 years as a GM and out of those 7 years, 1 was successful. The successful year was only when someone else was put in charge. You either don't want to understand or have to be someone knows Caldwell personally. 

If you had a job for 7 years and only had 1 good year when they hired someone to oversee you're job and that person has a known track record of having success there, would you take the credit for the 1 year? Or would it be questionable overall? 

What is reason for the thread, is Caldwell really that bad? Yes he is based on his results! Is 1 and 6 a good record to you? 

Does Coughlin deserves all the credit for 2017? No but Caldwell damn sure doesn't deserve all either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-11-2020, 08:38 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote: Per the bold: We sucked the very next year and Coughlin was still here. For 2 more seasons essentially.

You can capitalize words all you want. It doesn't change what I was arguing. 2017 wasn't good because of Coughlin. It was a roster mostly built by the GM Caldwell, with an easy schedule, a terrible AFCS, and a little bit of luck.
The roster was mostly made before Coughlin. It's in its current state mostly because of Coughlin. There's no two ways around it. It's only complicated for simple people who feel the need to bang the keyboard angrily that they aren't right.

Like I said, Caldwell hasn't been great. And we should have moved on multiple times now.
But one could look at the current roster and cap situation and certainly give a lot of that credit to Coughlin.

I'm convinced you are paying attention to only what you want to see. If you look at my following statement, I said clearly no one is saying that Coughlin is the reason we were good in 2017.  I'm saying Caldwell shouldn't get credit for the 2017 year alone because he has had 7 years and has not duplicated the success of the one season.  And you keep saying perhaps or maybe....
why do you keep trying to add things we will never really know for sure or understand. 

Look at the facts and what we can see. 7 years as a GM and out of those 7 years, 1 was successful. The successful year was only when someone else was put in charge. You either don't want to understand or have to be someone knows Caldwell personally. 

If you had a job for 7 years and only had 1 good year when they hired someone to oversee you're job and that person has a known track record of having success there, would you take the credit for the 1 year? Or would it be questionable overall? 

What is reason for the thread, is Caldwell really that bad? Yes he is based on his results! Is 1 and 6 a good record to you? 

Does Coughlin deserves all the credit for 2017? No but Caldwell damn sure doesn't deserve much either.

I mean, he did stack a defense with so much talent that Todd Wash could win games with it. 
So, you know, no small feat.

(06-11-2020, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 03:15 PM)D-Money Wrote: This is the issue. All we are basing this on is that Caldwell was here for a certain number or years, for those years the team was bad. One year 2017, when Coughlin gets here,  a former Super Bowl winning coach and was the coach when we were good. The one year we turn it around and are good. Coughlin is gone again and we suck again. 

No one is saying that it is guaranteed that Coughlin made us good for 2017. We are saying that no matter what different circumstances that have happened that year and allowed us to be good, it def wasn't just Caldwell that did it. 

Just really understand, Caldwell is a GM, he has picked some good players and some have fallen into his lap but overall with not being able to retain that talent and missing on different picks at key positions at the same time keeping coaches who are no good, plus our overall losing record under him, He is a bad GM, he may be an ok scout or college talent evaluator. 

Stop making things more complicated by coming up with things we don't know for sure about and what may have happened behind closed doors.
JUST LOOk AT THE RESULTS and THE CURRENT STATE OF THE FRANCHISE SINCE HE HAS BECOME GM

Per the bold: We sucked the very next year and Coughlin was still here. For 2 more seasons essentially.
Had Coughlin never showed up perhaps we end up with CMC instead of Fournette. Proof? because Caldwell is great at getting RBs? like Gerhart?
Perhaps we move on from Bortles instead of extending him. Right, Caldwell would have moved on from the QB HE DRAFTED LOL!
Perhaps we pay Ramsey and Yan early and the defense remains elite for years. Ramsey? yeah maybe since Caldwell has no character. Yan? first he is nowhere near elite and sucks vs the run and he doesn't even make a big difference in the defense. Second Coughlin is gone, Yawn still wants out
Without Coughlin, we're probably still good in 2017 honestly. Hahahahahaha sure, pure lame speculation. No Bouye, no Calais, No Church, sure.

Hilarious.

More pathetic speculation and lame excuses for a garbage GM.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-11-2020, 08:38 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote: Per the bold: We sucked the very next year and Coughlin was still here. For 2 more seasons essentially.

Does Coughlin deserves all the credit for 2017? No but Caldwell damn sure doesn't deserve all either.

Actually it was clearly insinuated that Coughlin was the reason we were good in 2017 when the statement reads "The one year we were good was when Coughlin showed up" or something to that effect.

Wins and losses fall on more than the quality of the roster. The Gus Bradley years severely underperformed, imo. Injuries, poor coaching, roster quality... lots goes into wins and losses.
The whole jab at me knowing Caldwell personally is childish, especially considering multiple times I've said he hasn't been good enough and we should have moved on already. So clearly, I'm no apologist for Caldwell. I just call out bull hyperbole when I see it. Caldwell hasn't been the worst GM in the NFL during his tenure. He hasn't been the worst GM we've had. He actually had the roster going in the right direction before Coughlin showed up. There was a lot of optimism outside of the QB position.

To answer the question of the thread "is he THAT bad" no. Not as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be. He's actually done a lot of good. He's also made some boneheaded moves. You can look at the record in a vacuum if you wish, but dude isn't on the field. He isn't coaching the roster. He isn't designing the schemes. Once Coughlin was here, he wasn't even making the draft selections and contract extensions alone. That stuff falls on Coughlin who had FINAL say over the roster.

And I've never tried to give Caldwell all the credit for anything. Just think people who seem to worship Coughlin are idiots. There's more evidence that Coughlin actually made this team worse. And people who get emotionally hyperbolic about Caldwell are silly. There's more evidence that the roster was heading in the right direction before Coughlin showed up. Khan made a decision that Coughlin needed to come in to oversee football operations. In doing so they made big money FA splashes, extended the wrong guys, picked a RB early in the first, a role player DL in the first the next year, and alienated at least 2 star players.
I call a spade a spade every time.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 03:48 PM by D-Money.)

(06-12-2020, 10:32 AM)Kane Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 08:38 PM)D-Money Wrote: I'm convinced you are paying attention to only what you want to see. If you look at my following statement, I said clearly no one is saying that Coughlin is the reason we were good in 2017.  I'm saying Caldwell shouldn't get credit for the 2017 year alone because he has had 7 years and has not duplicated the success of the one season.  And you keep saying perhaps or maybe....

Actually it was clearly insinuated that Coughlin was the reason we were good in 2017 when the statement reads "The one year we were good was when Coughlin showed up" or something to that effect.

Wins and losses fall on more than the quality of the roster. The Gus Bradley years severely underperformed, imo. Injuries, poor coaching, roster quality... lots goes into wins and losses.
The whole jab at me knowing Caldwell personally is childish, especially considering multiple times I've said he hasn't been good enough and we should have moved on already. So clearly, I'm no apologist for Caldwell. I just call out bull hyperbole when I see it. Caldwell hasn't been the worst GM in the NFL during his tenure. He hasn't been the worst GM we've had. He actually had the roster going in the right direction before Coughlin showed up. There was a lot of optimism outside of the QB position.

To answer the question of the thread "is he THAT bad" no. Not as bad as everyone likes to make it out to be. He's actually done a lot of good. He's also made some boneheaded moves. You can look at the record in a vacuum if you wish, but dude isn't on the field. He isn't coaching the roster. He isn't designing the schemes. Once Coughlin was here, he wasn't even making the draft selections and contract extensions alone. That stuff falls on Coughlin who had FINAL say over the roster.

And I've never tried to give Caldwell all the credit for anything. Just think people who seem to worship Coughlin are idiots. There's more evidence that Coughlin actually made this team worse. And people who get emotionally hyperbolic about Caldwell are silly. There's more evidence that the roster was heading in the right direction before Coughlin showed up. Khan made a decision that Coughlin needed to come in to oversee football operations. In doing so they made big money FA splashes, extended the wrong guys, picked a RB early in the first, a role player DL in the first the next year, and alienated at least 2 star players.
I call a spade a spade every time.

I can only respond this last time because it is clear you are not understanding what I am saying. There is no way you are calling a spade a spade with all the speculation and the things you heard and may have feel went on, nothing for sure. Until Caldwell or Coughlin or Kahn comes out and confirms it is all speculation.

The only reason why Caldwell is considered a bad GM is because of his results. The record under him being a GM and the fact that all of the supposedly good talent he drafted, either left, want to leave or are not as good as we first thought. No matter how much of an [BLEEP] Coughlin is, the year he came year we got better, whether by accident or based on the talent Caldwell accumulated, it still happened with Coughlin got here. GM is supposed to handle everything and get rid of the necessary personnel causing issues or not performing. If you can make the determination of what needs to be done, then he should not be a GM, just a scout. Just saying Caldwell is decent talent evaluator but not a good GM

Just look at what I am saying clearly and think about it.

I think it’s important to remember how young Dave was when he was given this job too. Not from a “oh, let him make mistakes, he’s young,” angle, but from a “If I plan on having this job for a decade or two, ideally, then first and foremost I have to work WITH the man employing me, not against or apart from him.”

Not that that necessarily turns out the best results from a football perspective, particularly early. But it’s a pretty understandable approach given the situation.

I’m not saying any of this to defend him, again, THE RESULTS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH. Attempting to understand is separate from attempting to justify. I just want to allow room for growth.

I watched a documentary about the early Bucs (disaster) the other day and was struck by a comment from Ron Wolf (legendary builder of GB consistent rosters, though I certainly wouldn’t argue with the people in this thread who’ve said “it all comes down to QB, you find a QB, or luck into one, and 80% of your faults are forgiven, you don’t find a QB, and 80% of your moves don’t matter.”)

Anyway Wolf commented on how when he was brought in, he was a first time NFL GM, with a first time NFL head coach in McKay, and a brand new NFL owner. He said it was a poop show, but he learned so much so fast in those couple years. Sound familiar?

I will say, to counter my above post, that I’m consistently appalled by our lack of properly addressing O-line, and our horrible scouting/overvaluing of the RB position under Caldwell.

The Yeldon early RD 2, Ivory overpay, Gerhart fiasco, Fournette top 5 overall (even if I attribute Leonard more to Coughlin) is just abysmal.

(06-19-2020, 04:52 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: I think it’s important to remember how young Dave was when he was given this job too.  Not from a “oh, let him make mistakes, he’s young,” angle, but from a “If I plan on having this job for a decade or two, ideally, then first and foremost I have to work WITH the man employing me, not against or apart from him.”

Not that that necessarily turns out the best results from a football perspective, particularly early.  But it’s a pretty understandable approach given the situation.  

I’m not saying any of this to defend him, again, THE RESULTS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH.  Attempting to understand is separate from attempting to justify.  I just want to allow room for growth.

I watched a documentary about the early Bucs (disaster) the other day and was struck by a comment from Ron Wolf (legendary builder of GB consistent rosters, though I certainly wouldn’t argue with the people in this thread who’ve said “it all comes down to QB, you find a QB, or luck into one, and 80% of your faults are forgiven, you don’t find a QB, and 80% of your moves don’t matter.”)

Anyway Wolf commented on how when he was brought in, he was a first time NFL GM, with a first time NFL head coach in McKay, and a brand new NFL owner.  He said it was a poop show, but he learned so much so fast in those couple years.  Sound familiar?

[Image: giphy.gif]

I am done discussing this stupid [BLEEP].

You guys have the team you derserve.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Just one more thing, I'll just leave this here about Ron Wolf

"He helped build the team that would advance to the 1979 NFC Championship game. He would not be around to see his team develop, however, as he resigned his position with the Buccaneers in February, 1978, citing "personal matters".[7] It is believed that he had difficulty working with Buccaneer owner Hugh Culverhouse, and that Culverhouse was trying to interfere with personnel decisions"

Dang, I thought owners could make their employees do absolutely whatever they want and the employee would be an idiot if he resigned after being given "the job of his life" Laughing Laughing Laughing

(06-19-2020, 01:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Just one more thing, I'll just leave this here about Ron Wolf

"He helped build the team that would advance to the 1979 NFC Championship game. He would not be around to see his team develop, however, as he resigned his position with the Buccaneers in February, 1978, citing "personal matters".[7] It is believed that he had difficulty working with Buccaneer owner Hugh Culverhouse, and that Culverhouse was trying to interfere with personnel decisions"

Dang, I thought owners could make their employees do absolutely whatever they want and the employee would be an idiot if he resigned after being given "the job of his life" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh look, some idiot ^ is trying to compare the modern NFL to 1979.  Awesome. 

How long did you search for that little gem to fail at supporting your idiotic "Caldwell should have just quit" narrative? 

"Hey guys, Caldwell should have quit before hiring his first coach during the first months of his first GM position because the owner wanted some say in the matter. And we know this because this one terrible GM 40 years ago quit his job because his owner was getting involved. And he got involved after that team had just endured the longest losing streak in the history of the NFL." 
 (26 games) 

Stupid comparison - and you've already failed miserably when you had to search back 40 years for a weak [BLEEP] example.

(06-19-2020, 02:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 01:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Just one more thing, I'll just leave this here about Ron Wolf

Oh look, some idiot ^ is trying to compare the modern NFL to 1979.  Awesome. 

How long did you search for that little gem to fail at supporting your idiotic "Caldwell should have just quit" narrative? 

"Hey guys, Caldwell should have quit before hiring his first coach during the first months of his first GM position because the owner wanted some say in the matter. And we know this because this one terrible GM 40 years ago quit his job because his owner was getting involved. And he got involved after that team had just endured the longest losing streak in the history of the NFL." 
 (26 games) 

Stupid comparison - and you've already failed miserably when you had to search back 40 years for a weak [BLEEP] example.

Hmmm... for those keeping score at home
This puts us at NYC - 100 Raven - 0

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 11:30 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Caldwell is not and never will be a competent GM. I give him credit for scouting in the latter rounds. Do people have stockholm syndrome or something?

This roster has stunk for the major majority of his time here. He decided to hit the nuclear button when he got here and kicked off some very capable people. Daryl Smith and Monroe are just 2 examples. Is it not a reality the only successful year we have had since Caldwell has joined the jags was the year Coughlin was his boss? OH and if you want to give Caldwell credit for the roster then give him credit for how bad it is now. For people who do not have teal glasses on, this team is a 2 to 6 win team. This roster is once again bare and we just booted off the last of the remaining talent.

So now this team is rebuilding yet again. We won't get into the fact of the Bortles debacle and the many first round picks. The guy is a decent scout, not GM materials. We will be looking for another GM in a year or two. You can quote me on that.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(06-23-2020, 11:29 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Caldwell is not and never will be a competent GM.  I give him credit for scouting in the latter rounds.   Do people have stockholm syndrome or something?  

This roster has stunk for the major majority of his time here.    He decided to hit the nuclear button when he got here and kicked off some very capable people.  Daryl Smith and Monroe are just 2 examples.   Is it not a reality the only successful year we have had since Caldwell has joined the jags was the year Coughlin was his boss?   OH and if you want to give Caldwell credit for the roster then give him credit for how bad it is now.  For people who do not have teal glasses on, this team is a 2 to 6 win team.  This roster is once again bare and we just booted off the last of the remaining talent.  

So now this team is rebuilding yet again.  We won't get into the fact of the Bortles debacle and the many first round picks.   The guy is a decent scout, not GM materials.   We will be looking for another GM in a year or two.  You can quote me on that.

I think you are being a bit dramatic with how "untalented" the roster has been since he came here. We have actually had some pretty good talent. I think Caldwells biggest issue has been with seeing the weak points and fixing them before they became huge problems. Granted alot of situations haven't made things any easier such as seasons where alot of key players ended up injured. Then throw in Telvin Smiths issue, Ramseys issue and now Yannick. Those 3 players are a huge hit on this team, then throw in the swing and miss on Bradley and Bortles. Its definitely hurt him as a GM. I know every GM faces some adversity and has to rise above. Caldwell hasn't done the best job at doing that. 

Hopefully since Khan has decided to give him another chance, he can get things trending in the right direction.
In Dougie I Trust!

(06-23-2020, 11:29 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Caldwell is not and never will be a competent GM.  I give him credit for scouting in the latter rounds.   Do people have stockholm syndrome or something?  

This roster has stunk for the major majority of his time here.    He decided to hit the nuclear button when he got here and kicked off some very capable people.  Daryl Smith and Monroe are just 2 examples.   Is it not a reality the only successful year we have had since Caldwell has joined the jags was the year Coughlin was his boss?   OH and if you want to give Caldwell credit for the roster then give him credit for how bad it is now.  For people who do not have teal glasses on, this team is a 2 to 6 win team.  This roster is once again bare and we just booted off the last of the remaining talent.  

So now this team is rebuilding yet again.  We won't get into the fact of the Bortles debacle and the many first round picks.   The guy is a decent scout, not GM materials.   We will be looking for another GM in a year or two.  You can quote me on that.

Agreed, this is what I've been saying. He's a decent talent evaluator (outside of the OL and TE positions apparently). In the other areas where a GM should excel, building a coaching staff, negotiating contracts and retaining players....not to so good. He'd be better suited to head a scouting department than to actually run a team.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I truly think Caldwell is a decent GM but his big mistake wasn't the Blake Bortles pick but the coaching staff he had in place to develop him. To have a first-time head coach with no offensive experience is a bad recipe and try to develop a potential franchise QB of any caliber. I just hope that he learns from his mistakes and put the right people in place to develop the next franchise QB we draft in the near future.

(06-24-2020, 11:17 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: I truly think Caldwell is a decent GM but his big mistake wasn't the Blake Bortles pick but the coaching staff he had in place to develop him. To have a first-time head coach with no offensive experience is a bad recipe and try to develop a potential franchise QB of any caliber. I just hope that he learns from his mistakes and put the right people in place to develop the next franchise QB we draft in the near future.

Blake pick was a big mistake too.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2020, 07:13 AM by leopold332002.)

(06-24-2020, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 11:17 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: I truly think Caldwell is a decent GM but his big mistake wasn't the Blake Bortles pick but the coaching staff he had in place to develop him. To have a first-time head coach with no offensive experience is a bad recipe and try to develop a potential franchise QB of any caliber. I just hope that he learns from his mistakes and put the right people in place to develop the next franchise QB we draft in the near future.

Blake pick was a big mistake too.

You're right based on the results but who knows what Blake would have been if he had a legitimate offensive coaching staff to develop him.

(06-24-2020, 05:57 AM)Hurricane Wrote:

I think you are being a bit dramatic with how "untalented" the roster has been since he came here. We have actually had some pretty good talent.

This gives you 0 credibility.  Look at the wins and the few pro bowlers we have had in his time here.
Again I get it some people are blind and will always believe the brass has been good.  Caldwell took the helm in what 2013, 2014?   To almost every expert, we were one of if not the worst NFL team of the decade.  Cmon man, stop making stuff up.

(06-24-2020, 04:05 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Blake pick was a big mistake too.

You're right based on the results but who knows what Blake would have been if he had a legitimate office of mind it coaching staff to develop him.

Here is the biggest problem with the Bortles pick.  After thinking, I am even willing to forgive the Joke pick and here is why.

"Joke" Joeckle was considered  by most experts to be a top pick.  He was even considered to go #1 by many experts.

Bortles was not expected to go any where near the top of the first round by most experts.  My memory is a little fuzzy but most had him going late in the first round or latter.  I do remember 1 or 2 experts arguing Bortles could go #1 but that died down well before the draft.  Flat out he gambled on the pick and lost.  Does not matter cause he is still here.

(06-24-2020, 05:54 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 05:57 AM)Hurricane Wrote: I think you are being a bit dramatic with how "untalented" the roster has been since he came here. We have actually had some pretty good talent.

This gives you 0 credibility.  Look at the wins and the few pro bowlers we have had in his time here.
Again I get it some people are blind and will always believe the brass has been good.  Caldwell took the helm in what 2013, 2014?   To almost every expert, we were one of if not the worst NFL team of the decade.  Cmon man, stop making stuff up.

You do realize that talent doesn't always end up as wins right? Piss poor coaches are going to result in losses no matter how good your team is. Look at Myles Jack for instance. Him playing MLB is way out of his realm and it showed horribly. Does that mean he isn't talented? 

We've had alot of talent in Jacksonville, just because we haven't put up W's doesn't mean we don't. I've never once said the front office has been good. I'm here pointing out good things that have happened for the sake of the debate. Cmon man, stop making stuff up.
In Dougie I Trust!