Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Formula 1

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2020, 09:28 AM by The Real Marty.)

I watched the Netflix series on Formula 1, and got interested in it.  Then I stumbled on this video.  Wow.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7PqJ0oVGc

Sadly, they don't sound like that anymore.  But that's what they sounded like in 2011.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was into F1 racing at that time. The RPMs reached by the cars of that era were insane - around 17k.

Despite his controversies, I still mourn for Michael Schumacher.

I would like to see a Formula 1 race someday in the near future. I just have to figure out where and when of course.

The USGP is held in Austin, if you don't want to travel overseas. I've always wanted to watch the Monaco GP - from the deck of a yacht. Neither will happen, but might as well dream.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM by The Real Marty.)

(06-07-2020, 11:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The USGP is held in Austin, if you don't want to travel overseas. I've always wanted to watch the Monaco GP - from the deck of a yacht. Neither will happen, but might as well dream.

$4,000 to sit on a yacht and watch the race:

https://www.senategrandprix.com/race-vie...-yacht-37m

Apparently, that includes champagne and brunch.  A deal!  

I'd love to go to the Monaco Grand Prix just to be there.  Not on race day, but on the days prior to the race.  Watch them practice, etc.  Someone told me you can walk around in the pits on one of the days prior to the race, see the cars up close, etc.  I understand that's one of the worst races for actually seeing the race.    I've looked at tickets for the Monaco Grand Prix, and for a decent seat where you can actually see something, it is really expensive.  

I used to watch that thing on ABC Wide World of Sports.  So cool with the cars racing through the tunnel, and around the streets.  That was back when Jackie Stewart was driving.  

It seems like the US Grand Prix would have much much better viewing, since it's a track that was built for racing, and for fans in grandstands.  Definitely not as cool as the Monaco Grand Prix, though.

They sound like a bunch 200 hp honda civics with coffee can fart mufflers.

When I lived in DC back in the early 90's, we used to take a van (~ 10 people) to the Indy 500 for 3 consecutive years. Pretty cools stuff. I find it a lot more fascinating than NASCAR but it just doesn't have the TV marketing support here in the US.

(06-09-2020, 03:56 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: When I lived in DC back in the early 90's, we used to take a van (~ 10 people) to the Indy 500 for 3 consecutive years.  Pretty cools stuff.  I find it a lot more fascinating than NASCAR but it just doesn't have the TV marketing support here in the US.

During this pandemic, with almost no sports to watch, I've been watching old replays of the Indy 500 on Youtube.   Some of them are pretty exciting, because I can't remember who won.  I mainly watch the very beginning, and the last 20 laps.  1987 was pretty exciting.  

I was thinking, though, when you have 300,000 or 400,000 or however many people they have there, how long does it take to get out of there after the race and back on the road home?

(06-10-2020, 06:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 03:56 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: When I lived in DC back in the early 90's, we used to take a van (~ 10 people) to the Indy 500 for 3 consecutive years.  Pretty cools stuff.  I find it a lot more fascinating than NASCAR but it just doesn't have the TV marketing support here in the US.

During this pandemic, with almost no sports to watch, I've been watching old replays of the Indy 500 on Youtube.   Some of them are pretty exciting, because I can't remember who won.  I mainly watch the very beginning, and the last 20 laps.  1987 was pretty exciting.  

I was thinking, though, when you have 300,000 or 400,000 or however many people they have there, how long does it take to get out of there after the race and back on the road home?

Forever.  Luckily, we had a slew of drivers to make the 10-12 hour road trip feasible but if I recall correctly, it took over an hour just to get out of the city (which was actually a small neighborhood town in the suburbs of Indianapolis).  The police did their thing by designating all outbound lanes but it was a mess, given the fact that most of the roads were 2-lane neighborhood roads.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 04:36 AM by The Real Marty.)

Finally.  We're going to have some F1 racing.   It'll be telecast live on ESPN at around 9 AM on Sunday mornings, starting next Sunday, July 5.  Here is the TV schedule:  

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26082...-f1-season

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 06:52 AM by The Real Marty.)

So, since we've had this sports desert,  I've been following Formula 1 for approximately 3 weeks now, and I am incredibly impressed with the whole thing.  It's really amazing technology, from the car design to the racing itself.  The money that is spent on these teams is astronomical.   And then there's the TV production and the media coverage.   The cameras are everywhere, the quality of the commentary is extremely good, and the extent of what is available on the internet and in the news media is extensive.  And the rules- the rules that are applied during a race are very complicated but applied instantly with a minimum of controversy.   

I never realized what a monster Formula 1 is.   It dwarfs any other type of racing.

(07-10-2020, 06:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, since we've had this sports desert,  I've been following Formula 1 for approximately 3 weeks now, and I am incredibly impressed with the whole thing.  It's really amazing technology, from the car design to the racing itself.  The money that is spent on these teams is astronomical.   And then there's the TV production and the media coverage.   The cameras are everywhere, the quality of the commentary is extremely good, and the extent of what is available on the internet and in the news media is extensive.  And the rules- the rules that are applied during a race are very complicated but applied instantly with a minimum of controversy.   

I never realized what a monster Formula 1 is.   It dwarfs any other type of racing.

It's the pinnacle in driving skill, engineering, performance, and sheer capital. That's why you see ex F1 drivers in Indy, but not ex Indy drivers in F1.

We have live Formula 1 racing this Sunday morning at 9AM for those of you who are curious.

It's a sports dessert in the middle of this sports desert!

(07-10-2020, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: We have live Formula 1 racing this Sunday morning at 9AM for those of you who are curious.  

Are you watching the qualifiers driven in the rain? That's another thing I like about F1, unless it's torrential, they race in the rain.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2020, 12:09 PM by The Real Marty.)

(07-11-2020, 09:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: We have live Formula 1 racing this Sunday morning at 9AM for those of you who are curious.  

Are you watching the qualifiers driven in the rain? That's another thing I like about F1, unless it's torrential, they race in the rain.

It must have been torrential this morning, because I tuned in at 6AM to watch day 2 of the qualifiers, and they were replaying last week's race.  

From what I have read, they have moved the 2nd round of qualifications to tomorrow before the race.  

EDIT.  Oops looks like I was wrong.   They seem to be qualifying in the rain today.