Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Got an early Father's Day gift

(06-17-2020, 11:29 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:43 PM)rollerjag Wrote: True, though I've never seen a critter big enough to scare anyone on a tractor. Even walking around they tend to keep away, including snakes.

But it seems like gun lovers want to be packing, just in case.
We do.  Is that a problem?

Did I say it was? You're enthusiastic. Good for you.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-18-2020, 02:51 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 05:43 PM)rollerjag Wrote: True, though I've never seen a critter big enough to scare anyone on a tractor. Even walking around they tend to keep away, including snakes.

I don't carry one myself but it's more of an economic thing for farmers with micro irrigation. Water is an increasingly precious resource out here.

Yeah, I get that. Nobody is here on my property stealing hay.
- Bob Marley

(06-17-2020, 05:43 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 10:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why City People and Country People just don't see eye to eye, it's a completely different life.

True, though I've never seen a critter big enough to scare anyone on a tractor. Even walking around they tend to keep away, including snakes.

I agree that for the most part they will stay away.  In fact, I wouldn't shoot an animal unless I had to.

As far as "packing just in case" I'm of the belief that I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-18-2020, 09:52 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 02:51 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't carry one myself but it's more of an economic thing for farmers with micro irrigation. Water is an increasingly precious resource out here.

Yeah, I get that. Nobody is here on my property stealing hay.

Raccoons get most of mine, little jerks.

(06-19-2020, 01:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 09:52 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Yeah, I get that. Nobody is here on my property stealing hay.

Raccoons get most of mine, little jerks.

If you want to go plinkin' little varmints with a pistol, seems like a .22 with a longer barrel would be the thing.

(06-16-2020, 02:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 06:53 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Where the heck do you live to feel a need to carry a gun while riding a tractor or cutting down trees on your own property?  Is this property in El Salvador or Somalia?

I don't live there... yet.  My wife and I have 35 acres of "raw" property in Melrose, Fl. (near Keystone Heights) which is very wooded.  So far I have seen bobcats, coyotes and several species of snakes both while riding one of my tractors or walking the property.  I'm not so much worried about trespassers except during hunting season, but keep in mind the area is very rural and I do have a lot of expensive tools and equipment that I keep there.

Dang, I didn't think about the wild animals scenario.  I love the thought of having property in a very secluded place but know that it comes with its challenges.  I'll most likely stick near the coast until i get swept away from a tsunami or something.

(06-19-2020, 08:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 01:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Raccoons get most of mine, little jerks.

If you want to go plinkin' little varmints with a pistol, seems like a .22 with a longer barrel would be the thing.

Lotta open space out here.

(06-19-2020, 08:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 01:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Raccoons get most of mine, little jerks.

The thing is, I don't want to "go plinkin' little varmints".  As I said before, I wouldn't shoot an animal unless I had to.  I have plenty of raccoons on the property and don't have a problem with them as long as they aren't causing a problem.  While a .22 might do the job, it would actually probably be more cruel.  Most times it's not going to be lethal enough and will cause pain and suffering (depending on what you are shooting).

Around the canal and pond on my property, and water moccasins have to go.  That requires #4 shot out of my new gun.  The same would go for a large rattle snake IF and only IF it is near our camp (future home site) or a threat to one of my small dogs or me.  While yes they are venomous and could be dangerous, for the most part they will leave you alone and warn you if you are getting close.  They are also good for controlling the small "nuisance" game (mice, rats, etc.).  However, they do eat larger game such as rabbits and/or small dogs.

Coyotes I would generally leave alone unless I was raising some kind of livestock (coming in the future) such as chickens.  The same goes for bobcats.

Getting into bigger predators such as a bear or a wild boar, I wouldn't rely on a pistol.  Bears for the most part will stay away unless you leave trash out or mess with young cubs.  Wild boars need to be eradicated (and who doesn't like bacon?).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-17-2020, 09:02 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 07:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Poisonous snakes don’t typically “run” away.  They may slowly leave.  I do lawn maintenance.  I’ve had my deck of my mower struck on numerous occasions.   I’ve even had a rattler that apparently just ate and wouldn’t move even after nudging it with the from caster.  Moccasins don’t seem to want to move either.  So, I say, shoot the little bastards.

I haven't "walked" around my property in decades, but folks here that hike in the woods typically just carry a long stick. Stir up the ground in front of you if it looks suspicious, they either scatter or you know to move around. I have no issue with shooting them, especially around residences, but it's seldom necessary. Did you feel threatened perched up on your Z-turn?
I’ve seen and have walked with many people that use a “stick”.  Those are the guys that aren’t afraid of snakes yet don’t want the poisonous ones around their pets or kids.  I personally am terrified of snakes.  I will NEVER kill a non-poisonous snake.  Venomous ones are fair game.  I’ve had one dog die due to a bite from a moccasin.  Even after medical care.  So my children are even more protected.  Much like a “nuisance” alligator”. Sure they are removed and transplanted.  But snakes really do scare the [BLEEP] out of me.  I can’t even watch them on tv.  And if I’m tv they “bite at the camera”. I need to close my eyes or I’ll have a heart attack.  So a poisonous snake in my yard will get the shovel or the .410 depending on the size.  As far as feeling safe on a ztr...   usually i so feel safe.  But there have been many occasions I haven’t.   I have been chased down by moccasins.  With and without a firearm on me.  If you’re insinuating I run the [BLEEP] over... no.  I need to change and sharpen my blades.  I don’t want to run upon their guts and what not while doing so.  Have I ran some over? Yes man at times.  Countless times in fact.  But I never knew they were there.

(06-19-2020, 08:31 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 09:02 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I haven't "walked" around my property in decades, but folks here that hike in the woods typically just carry a long stick. Stir up the ground in front of you if it looks suspicious, they either scatter or you know to move around. I have no issue with shooting them, especially around residences, but it's seldom necessary. Did you feel threatened perched up on your Z-turn?
I’ve seen and have walked with many people that use a “stick”.  Those are the guys that aren’t afraid of snakes yet don’t want the poisonous ones around their pets or kids.  I personally am terrified of snakes.  I will NEVER kill a non-poisonous snake.  Venomous ones are fair game.  I’ve had one dog die due to a bite from a moccasin.  Even after medical care.  So my children are even more protected.  Much like a “nuisance” alligator”. Sure they are removed and transplanted.  But snakes really do scare the [BLEEP] out of me.  I can’t even watch them on tv.  And if I’m tv they “bite at the camera”. I need to close my eyes or I’ll have a heart attack.  So a poisonous snake in my yard will get the shovel or the .410 depending on the size.  As far as feeling safe on a ztr...   usually i so feel safe.  But there have been many occasions I haven’t.   I have been chased down by moccasins.  With and without a firearm on me.  If you’re insinuating I run the [BLEEP] over... no.  I need to change and sharpen my blades.  I don’t want to run upon their guts and what not while doing so.  Have I ran some over? Yes man at times.  Countless times in fact.  But I never knew they were there.

Your fear of snakes moves the discussion to a new level. I have a healthy respect for them, but no real fear. No, I didn't mean to insinuate you'd mow them down, I'm just surprised you'd feel threatened while on your mower. Now I know why.

My grandfather and dad farmed this property since the mid 1940s and neither carried a gun while working. They both owned guns, my dad more than his, but they never carried them on their person or in their vehicles. 

When I was a teen I was fishing near the bank of a nearby reservoir when a Copperhead coiled up my line incredibly fast. I just tossed the rod into the water. Its owner, my cousin, was not pleased.
- Bob Marley

The most dangerous things in the woods are ticks, not snakes.

(06-20-2020, 05:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The most dangerous things in the woods are ticks, not snakes.

You're probably right.

https://youtu.be/AeavqyDYQtQ

(06-20-2020, 05:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The most dangerous things in the woods are ticks, not snakes.

If I lived in the Eastern US, I'd agree but my vote goes to hawks. Silent death from above.

(06-20-2020, 02:30 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

If I lived in the Eastern US, I'd agree but my vote goes to hawks. Silent death from above.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(06-20-2020, 02:30 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

[Image: anigif_enhanced-25125-1433987521-11.gif]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.